TC Depth Chart/battles

Moderator: HMFFL

benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Re: TC Depth Chart/battles 

Post#41 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03 pm

They haven't been impressed with the return options in camp, it seems. They waived Austin Willis too make room for him. I think they would like the return man to show more explosion and promise than Holiday and Willis have shown. They would also like him to be able to play some slot on offense to justify the roster spot not going to another one of the WRs looking good in camp like Roberts Butler or Durham. My read on it.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#42 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:14 pm

If Wylie was signed, it was to directly compete with Holliday. Winner gets the role. I doubt that Taiwan or Carrie returns a single kick this year.

Also speaks to how we viewed DeBose, simply a returner. We were ready to commit a roster spot to the returner position from day 1.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#43 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:25 pm

FNQ wrote:If Wylie was signed, it was to directly compete with Holliday. Winner gets the role. I doubt that Taiwan or Carrie returns a single kick this year.

Also speaks to how we viewed DeBose, simply a returner. We were ready to commit a roster spot to the returner position from day 1.

I agree but they would like that player to be able to contribute in speed sets on offense and I think DeBose would have been the ideal candidate for that role before the injury. He really showed flashes at go and wheel routes, screens and gadget plays at the U. Holiday and Willis have disappointed in that regard. Enter Wylie.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 pm

If we want a gadget player that can also return kicks, why not just put Taiwan back there? He fumbles a bit but he meets all that criteria. Willis OTOH was out there for 6 offensive snaps but nothing got tossed his way. It very well could be that they're breaking down DeBose's role into two players, with Taiwan being the new gadget guy and hopefully Wylie being the KR/PR. Wylie'd better be good though, because keeping an extra roster spot for a pure KR/PR means he has to be substantially better than Taiwan
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#45 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:55 pm

FNQ wrote:If we want a gadget player that can also return kicks, why not just put Taiwan back there? He fumbles a bit but he meets all that criteria. Willis OTOH was out there for 6 offensive snaps but nothing got tossed his way. It very well could be that they're breaking down DeBose's role into two players, with Taiwan being the new gadget guy and hopefully Wylie being the KR/PR. Wylie'd better be good though, because keeping an extra roster spot for a pure KR/PR means he has to be substantially better than Taiwan

I think that is the point of bringing in Wylie. They want to get a look at him in both return and gadgets to compete with Jones. I don't think they want to split the duties but will if the players abilities don't live up to their expectations of the duel role. The coaching staff early on stressed competition and though Jones brings a lot to the table they want to push him. IMO they felt Holiday wasn't pushing him on offense and Willis wasn't on both aspect most likely hence his release.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#46 » by Twinkie defense » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:36 am

Taiwan may be too valuable to special teams to risk on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#47 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:29 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Taiwan may be too valuable to special teams to risk on offense.

I can see that. But I think it's a mix of the two roles that we have been discussing. I think Taiwan will be on all the special teams coverage units and run gadget play and some speed tosses as a half back and the guy that wins the return job will have to be able to play some slot. Willis and Wylie are both 5'9 around 180 so basically a swap. Now Holiday and Wylie are competing.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:38 pm

CSN Bay Area's latest projections:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/raiders-roster-projection-version-10

The unexpected:

- 4 RBs, none of which were a 1st round pick ;)
- Thompkins and Holliday both make the roster
- we keep only 8 OL (Howard, Feliciano, Khalif being the backups)
- we keep 3 QBs, Fajardo cut
- we keep Mayowa (listed as DE) and Harris
- we cut CJ Wilson, Orr, McGee (Autry and Lumpkin make it)
- OLB: Moore, Ray Ray, Ball, Malcolm (see ya Shirley, and they apparently cut Valles)
- they have us keeping 5 safeties (Woodson, Allen, Asanate, J Dowling, Ross)

Personally I think SaQuean (sp?) Edwards, Valles, and Mady make the team as well. I think we only carry 4 safeties, drop Holliday, and squad Michael Dyer.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#49 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:44 pm

I really don't like this projection at all. He could be on the money but IMO it's pretty far off. Only reall agree with his TE's and Dline. Mine would be:

QB - Carr, Ponder
Cut - McGloin
PS - Fajardo

RB - Murray, Helu, Jones, ? - meaning someone cut by another team, Reece
Cut - Richardson, Olawale
PS - Dyer

WR - Cooper, Crab, Streater, Thompkins, Butler, Roberts
Cut - Holmes, Wylie, Durham, Williams
PS - Harper

TE - Walford, Smith, Rivera
Cut - Leohardt
PS - Holmes

T - Penn, Watson, Howard
Cut - Kislter
PS - Morris

G - JAckson, Webb, Barnes, Feli
Cut - Eatmans, McCants
PS - Bell

C - Hudson
Cut - Bergstrom, Mady

DE - Mack, Tuck, Mayowa, Edwards, Harris
Cut - Wilson
PS - Valles (could cut harris and keep Valles, toss up)

DT - Williams, Jelly, Lumpkin, Autry
Cut - McGee
PS - Orr

LB - Lofton, Heeney, Smith, Armstrong, Moore, Ball
Cut - Wilkins, Hadley, Miller
PS - Shirley

CB - Hayden, Carrie, McGill, Thorpe, Dockery
Cut - Chewka, Edwards, Dowling
PS - McDonald

S - CWood. Allen, Dowling, Mays (wishful thinking)
Cut - Asante, Ross, McDonald
PS - Hall

P,K,LS - KING, SEASBASS, CONDO
I have 11 on the practice squad - if Harris is cut and Valles makes active then cool if not then either Hall, Bell or Dyer get the axe.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:04 pm

Stevie Brown released by the Texans today. He'd be the top backup and a good replacement should Woodson falter again at SS
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#51 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Doubt he chooses us or we even go after him with us just signing Mays. I think he ends up back with the Giants.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#52 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Sep 1, 2015 2:26 am

Trent Richardson gone, good riddance - eat that $600k.

"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone

Return to Las Vegas Raiders