Post#1 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:12 pm

WOW!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/642368905374208000[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Raiders sign ALDON SMITH 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:22 pm

And I was having so much fun making fun of 49er fans.

The timing is weird. Maybe Reggie and Co. needed time to investigate the matter for which he was arrested?
Seems to me it would be smarter to have picked him up earlier to have him in camp. The 9ers released him over a month ago.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#3 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:24 pm

I would imagine it was to vet him.

Bucs, Titans, Rams were also interested. He picked the Raiders.. and once on the field, entirely legitimizes our pass rush.

All that said, not a typical Reggie signing, so I'm thinkin he's feeling the burn from Mr. Davis about winning soon.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#4 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:21 pm

I don't think it that at all (the pressure to win). I think they looked at the case and weighted what is said to have happened and what Aldon has said and what can be proven and what his NFL punishment would be and found it to be worth the risk to have an elite pass rusher on the team across from Mack. Signing him now allows him to be in the building working out, learning the system, getting to know the players, having the support of the org, having structure and keeping him away from other teams.

How long will he be out? Imagine he is just held accountable for the hit and run and no DUI (sounds like that may happen). Say he gets 2 games for that...Now we have to think about when his court date is and how long if there will be a trial...We don't know any of that yet but you have to think Reggie would have most of that info if they signed him. Especially with how he does business. The opportunity to have him for 10-12 games is big with our need at the OLB/DE position is huge.

Now we move on to roster impact. Okay lets say he misses 6 weeks including the suspension. Can we put him on a list so he isn't costing us a roster spot? Commish exempt list, NFI, temp IR...Who do we cut when he is available? Edwards, Ball, Holmes? We can send Ball or Holmes to the PS.

I assume it is a small deal but who knows...I wouldn't even be mad a deal for say 750k but with bonuses for games played and production. getting into the millions is pushing it but who know if it came down to a bidding war.

Overall, I like it especially if we have a shot at signing him past this year. Just got an elite pass rusher in his prime with little effort and money and the inside track to resign him due to Reggie taking a chance on him.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 pm

benchmobbin02 wrote:I don't think it that at all (the pressure to win). I think they looked at the case and weighted what is said to have happened and what Aldon has said and what can be proven and what his NFL punishment would be and found it to be worth the risk to have an elite pass rusher on the team across from Mack. Signing him now allows him to be in the building working out, learning the system, getting to know the players, having the support of the org, having structure and keeping him away from other teams.

How long will he be out? Imagine he is just held accountable for the hit and run and no DUI (sounds like that may happen). Say he gets 2 games for that...Now we have to think about when his court date is and how long if there will be a trial...We don't know any of that yet but you have to think Reggie would have most of that info if they signed him. Especially with how he does business. The opportunity to have him for 10-12 games is big with our need at the OLB/DE position is huge.

Now we move on to roster impact. Okay lets say he misses 6 weeks including the suspension. Can we put him on a list so he isn't costing us a roster spot? Commish exempt list, NFI, temp IR...Who do we cut when he is available? Edwards, Ball, Holmes? We can send Ball or Holmes to the PS.

I assume it is a small deal but who knows...I wouldn't even be mad a deal for say 750k but with bonuses for games played and production. getting into the millions is pushing it but who know if it came down to a bidding war.

Overall, I like it especially if we have a shot at signing him past this year. Just got an elite pass rusher in his prime with little effort and money and the inside track to resign him due to Reggie taking a chance on him.

I think we're looking at around 8 games for Aldon. Completely a guess, nothing I've heard or seen anywhere.

Roster spot: Ball. He would easily sneak into a practice squad, no one is giving a roster spot for a rookie at this point in the season, unless he's shown out in preseason

Keeping him: We have the most capspace, a mandate to use capspace, and a franchise tag with no legitimate options (for now) to use them on. I think if we want to keep Aldon and he likes it here, he's staying.

I'm thrilled to take a chance on him. While I do like playing him opposite Mack, imagine him at OLB and Mack at DE on the QB's blind side.. watch your back..
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:46 pm

DE Lavar Edwards waived to make room for Smith
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#7 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Good god. Is it April 1?

Well I suppose his crimes do not amount to domestic violence, which seems to be Mark Davis' red line.

Last night I was watching the 30 for 30 about Bo Jackson, and how ol' Al got Bo for a seventh round pick. Maybe lightning can strike twice.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#8 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Why is it a one-year deal though, I don't think he's gonna be suiting up this season (you guys predicting a few games missed - you're nuts. He's a multi-time offender). What's the point? Franchise him? OK, I guess.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:09 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Why is it a one-year deal though, I don't think he's gonna be suiting up this season (you guys predicting a few games missed - you're nuts. He's a multi-time offender). What's the point? Franchise him? OK, I guess.

Multi-time offender of what? DUI? This case likely won't end in one, or else it would have already.

If you've read up the case, the reason why law enforcement hasn't proceeded and the NFL hasn't acted is because a DUI is going to be so hard to prove. Hit and run, possibly can stick. Vandalism definitely will. There's a ton of gray area still, so the NFL is paralyzed by the legal process.

He signed a one year deal because he's rehabbing his value, there's no reason he would agree to sign a 2 year deal. The signing itself means that he won't be suspended all year most likely. But moreover, this gives him a chance to bond with our long-term players and re-build his life with the Raiders. So when he does hit the FA market, we have the inside track as the team that (presumably) helped him recover his life and career. But if he's chasing money, we do have the franchise option along with very few other alternatives to give it to. Keep in mind, next year we have to spend a lot of money anyways, otherwise we're paying the NFL the difference anyways.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:22 pm

LOL soon after he signs, they finally charge him with 3 misdemeanors:

DUI w/prior, hit and run w/property damage, vandalism.

They are doing something called 'stacking charges', which is just basically adding more crimes to one thing to make sure something sticks. The NFL might move quickly while the DUI charge is still stuck on there, but it likely will be dropped down.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#11 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:27 pm

"Despite his off-the-field issues, Smith will be eligible to play Sunday, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter. The Raiders will consider playing Smith, depending on his conditioning." Wha!?!?!

Aldon was suspended for what, nine games last season? And that was on top of the self-imposed, paid suspension the Niners gave him. Whether a jury finds him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt is not really that important from the League's discipline perspective - Hardy and Big Ben never were found guilty of anything by a court. But what we see repeatedly is an escalation of penalties for players who routinely find themselves in trouble. That is basically the definition of Aldon Smith.

I've got to think the League has not yet imposed any penalty or paid time off for Aldon because he was unsigned and they were doing their diligence. Now that he has signed that will change. I would expect Aldon to miss the entire season (leaving aside some quirk that gets him on the field Sunday) - and would be shocked if he got a penalty less than the nine games he got last season (I forget, that may have been reduced for good standing, but nine is what he was slapped with).
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah, except for the fact they had no problem suspending other FAs for other things in the meantime. Jonathan Dwyer is the name that sticks out for me.

I wouldnt expect him to play Sunday unless the Raiders file an injunction, but I doubt they will
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#13 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Well obviously everyone believes Aldon will be suspended for some number of games this season, the question is how many? So in that sense the timing doesn't really matter does it? Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if he were put on the commissioner's exempt list today.

The Brady appeal of course does shine a different light on the process by which players are suspended. The League is not going to sit on its hands and let Aldon go unpunished though.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#14 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:43 pm

"Smith was charged Friday with three misdemeanors stemming from the incident that occured early last month. He was charged with three misdemeanors: DUI with a prior conviction and refusal to submit to a chemical test, hit-and-run with property damage and vandalism under $400, according to Public Communications Officer Sean Webby of the Santa Clara District Attorney's Office. His arraignment date is set for Oct. 6 and Webby added that the timing of the announcement is unrelated to Smith's signing with the Raiders."

"DUI with a prior conviction and refusal to submit to a chemical test" - in the eyes of the law, refusing to submit to a blood alcohol test is tantamount to DUI. That could be pleaded down, but it's gonna be another strike against Aldon for violating the League's Policy on Personal Conduct and Substances of Abuse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000525913/article/raiders-sign-aldon-smith-to-oneyear-contract
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:59 pm

The refusal to submit to a chemical test is irrelevant if asking for it isn't lawful.. that's always been the issue. He wasn't pulled over.

It also gives plausable deniability in some cases.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#16 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:28 pm

I wonder if our CB travails had any impact on the signing? They're gonna need a good rush.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
"I'm Decayed"
-Doug Moe, on what he would like on his tombstone
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#17 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:58 pm

FNQ wrote:The refusal to submit to a chemical test is irrelevant if asking for it isn't lawful.

You're implying that the police made an unlawful request to test Aldon's blood alcohol level? That's a novel stance and one I don't think would impact the League's thinking. Remember Tom Brady's suspension came about in part because he refused to hand over his cell phone. There was certainly no law compelling Brady to do so. The League has a lot of independence and flexibility in assigning punishment for off the field conduct, and Smith is not even supposed to be DRINKING alcohol, let alone drinking and getting back behind the wheel. Maybe they will be somewhat chastened (or maybe emboldened) by Brady's punishment getting struck down, but since the Ray Rice fiasco they aren't messing around with off field character issues any more. The only question for me is whether he is out all season or something closer to the nine games he was slapped with last season. That he would be suspended several games only seems absurd.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:10 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
FNQ wrote:The refusal to submit to a chemical test is irrelevant if asking for it isn't lawful.

You're implying that the police made an unlawful request to test Aldon's blood alcohol level? That's a novel stance and one I don't think would impact the League's thinking. Remember Tom Brady's suspension came about in part because he refused to hand over his cell phone. There was certainly no law compelling Brady to do so. The League has a lot of independence and flexibility in assigning punishment for off the field conduct, and Smith is not even supposed to be DRINKING alcohol, let alone drinking and getting back behind the wheel. Maybe they will be somewhat chastened (or maybe emboldened) by Brady's punishment getting struck down, but since the Ray Rice fiasco they aren't messing around with off field character issues any more. The only question for me is whether he is out all season or something closer to the nine games he was slapped with last season. That he would be suspended several games only seems absurd.

There is nothing in the NFLPA substance abuse policy that prohibits Aldon from drinking period. If you're referring to his probation, these types of things (banning consumption of alcohol) are usually much shorter than the entire probation period and are pending completion of sobriety classes. Otherwise, we would have heard about how him being inebriated at all is a violation of probation.

I do believe though that he's unable to own/register a firearm for the entire 3 years though, IIRC.

I think an 8+ game suspension is within the realm of possibility. However, in the same realm of possibility, is Aldon not being suspended at all in the 2015 season until the courts make a ruling. Ultimately the Raiders are smart enough to not waste their time bringing in someone who's not going to play at all this season, so it's really not an IF he'll play this year, its WHEN.

Since Brady's suspension was turned over because of the NFL essentially making their own laws, I seriously doubt that Goodell would go back to that same well and open himself up to being embarrassed again. They will likely wait for the courts to make some sort of ruling, while keeping in close contact with local law enforcement to see where the legal process is. There are so many variables that an even educated guess is impossible for anyone outside the know. But 4 teams wouldnt be pursuing this guy if he wasn't going to play this year.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by FNQ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:20 pm

Actually, he could be suspended for year. But the good news: the contract tolls over.

So no matter what, Aldon Smith will be a Raider on an NFL field at some point, barring him being a complete idiot again
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#20 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:11 pm

FNQ wrote:There is nothing in the NFLPA substance abuse policy that prohibits Aldon from drinking period. If you're referring to his probation, these types of things (banning consumption of alcohol) are usually much shorter than the entire probation period and are pending completion of sobriety classes. Otherwise, we would have heard about how him being inebriated at all is a violation of probation.

Remember when Aldon was with Ray McDonald and some woman and Ray was accused of sexually assaulting her? (It's hard to keep all of the charges straight, but this may be the same case where McDonald was later indicted for rape, and Ahmad Brooks was charged with misdemeanor sexual battery.) At the time, the victim said she was out drinking with Ray and Aldon. Aldon said no, I wasn't drinking at all, I was just along for the ride. Here's a report from that episode:

But Smith's agent, Doug Hendrickson, said Monday that his client didn't drink at all during his visit to McDonald's on the day in question.

"He's been in the (NFL's) alcohol program and gets tested twice a week, and he's never failed a test," Hendrickson said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27195689/aldon-smith-i-wasnt-drinking

Alcohol doesn't stay in the system long, going on a bender the evening of your test seems a pretty safe approach to evasion, as long as the law doesn't get you.

Again I think Aldon is not allowed to drink at all - whether or not he gets behind the wheel. All of his transgressions have been much more of a problem in terms of League discipline, not from criminal punishment. Of course it makes an easy case for the League when a guy goes to jail, but even if all the most recent charges are dismissed there are still plenty of grounds for the League to suspend him, or (maybe more likely) put him on the Commissioners exempt list while they sort things out. And the way repeat offense punishments escalate - maybe I'm wrong but I have a hard time seeing him suspended for less than nine games, even if his offense this most recent time wasn't as bad as his last offense.

We should know soon enough - I still think though that he might well be out all season. But as you said, even then the Raiders could tag him next season.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders