2018 NFL Draft

Moderator: HMFFL

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: 2018 NFL Draft 

Post#21 » by Neddy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 pm

FNQ wrote:Whats frustrating about the Miller/Parker picks is that we've spent draft capital on lineman the past 3 years, and are cutting bait. There's very little chance that Feliciano, Jylan Ware, David Sharpe, Vadal Alexander, and Kirkland make the roster now. That's a glut of day 3 picks right there, all changing because we switched from Tice to Cable.

true, but not even sure if Penn could start the season on active roster with his foot injury thing that he is still nursing. I think Miller and Parker will (hopefully) be the book ends of our OL for the next decade or so and all this loss of players will simply be trivial memories. here's crossing fingers......
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#22 » by Neddy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:There's reasons to like Kolton Miller. His profile is the type you want for a guy who is going to develop into an elite pass blocking LT although I doubt he is ready for that Day 1. He is going to have to develop a bit...his body and mentality. It's been done before.

But then there's Tom Cable and the idea that he might be overdrafted based on mocks. I really HATE calling players reaches because:
1) That just may have been Reggie and Gruden's board.
2) Who knows where he was on other teams' boards.
So I leave it that he could have been overdrafted but....

I love the draft and taking swings for the fences.

So I'm concerned with bringing Martavis Bryant into the fold. He needs to be re-signed at some point and he was a problem in Pittsburgh. Why bring a problem over here that isn't cost controlled? He's gonna be a 2nd or 3rd WR which was his problem in Pitt.

Oh well.
Things are diff with a new sheriff in town so....let's see. He did a lot of spinning straw into gold when he was here last time.

I am actually thinking this will be a great WR corp when the season starts.

Amare is the #1 guy, obviously. hope he doesn't have another season full of dropsies. but he can be the speed guy as well
Bryant is 6-4 target, that's huge.
Jordy Nelson I think to me is the slot guy.
and we just drafted a mammoth of a WR in Marcel Ateman! another 6-4 but with a TE body.
made another trade for Ryan Switzer from the Cowboys just now.
then we have our TE, Jared Cook.

I think Seth is getting cut.
ehhhhh f it.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,146

Post#23 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:24 am

Martavis Bryant is not a concern. He wanted the ball in Pittsburgh, simple as that, and demanded a trade after continuing to not get attention. Instead of blaming him I like to focus my blame on Pitts coaching staff.

He gives us much needed size and is a playmaker.

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,146

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:26 am

Kolton Miller seemed to be a reach. I had him going towards the end of the first round.
Linemen had been selected right after we selected him so maybe other teams had him high on their list as well.
All I can do is hope for the best and trust our system.

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#25 » by FNQ » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Days 2 & 3 were so much better than Day 1.

I definitely dislike the Bryant trade, but the thing is, the WR market is bone dry right now outside of Dez. Bryant becomes our go-route WR, and displaces Seth Roberts - that's a great thing. Not to mention we have 3 WR now who are excellent deep ball catchers. The key will be how Jordy and Coop do in the short routes, as Gruden tends to avoid the intermediate a lot, which is Jordy's wheelhouse. Cook's as well.

But there are some reasons for optimism here:

- Our OL is still going to be one of the better units in the game. Penn - KO - Hudson - Jackson - Miller is a hefty line, and the interior blocking is top notch. Assuming Penn is still on the roster after this latest issue, we will have great pass-blocking across the line for the first time. RT wont be the turnstile point its been for the past year.

- Our RBs are on the old side, but still have juice. Most notably, Doug Martin. He doesnt have a ton of tread on the tires like Lynch does, and he's been great in the past between the tackles. With our interior linemen, he may run away with the job. And dont forget we're actually gonna use a FB this year to lead block

- Gaeron Conley will finally get a full offseason workout. It's basically like adding another 1st to this year's draft haul. Rashaan Melvin is a good #2, and Worley/Leon Hall will fight for slot duties. The big question is if Conley is up to being a #1, which I doubt he will this season, but he was a top 10 pick last year if not for the legal issue

- Our safeties should be much improved so long as we bench Reggie Nelson. I dont care if its Luani, Obi, or Gilchrist (my preference), but someone who can keep Karl Joseph at FS instead of having safeties that just span half the field will definitely improve the secondary

- Our DL got much more talented. Out with Jihad Ward, in with Maurice Hurst (a 1st round talent) and PJ Hall (a very un-heralded Aaron Donald type). I would expect Hall to unseat Vanderdoes in the preseason and earn a role next to Jelly, and kick Vanderdoes out to end as a backup for either Mack or MEJ. Hurst I think spells Hall as the 3-tech.. but really either one could start, so long as Hurst gets medically cleared

Here's what I think is grim, and always is for us: LB. Irvin, Whitehead, James is our projected starting group right now. Navorro Bowman coming back would be HUGE, as it would kick Whitehead to the WLB spot and James to sub packages.

But overall this team is still laced with potential and Gruden is a good enough football mind to use people appropriately. Last year we endured a very, very poor offensive scheme that was as vanilla as they come. With a top offensive mind in Gruden, and a top defensive mind in Guenther, I could see us coming close to 10 wins again.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#26 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 4, 2018 11:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:Martavis Bryant is not a concern. He wanted the ball in Pittsburgh, simple as that, and demanded a trade after continuing to not get attention. Instead of blaming him I like to focus my blame on Pitts coaching staff.

He gives us much needed size and is a playmaker.

He's been suspended for 4 games for violating the substance abuse policy.
He's been suspended for an entire year for violating the substance abuse policy.

He made a fuss about getting the ball in Pittsburgh and is coming into a scenario with 2 good WRs and an RB who is going to demand touches.

Do I think this can work? Sure.
Would I be surprised if he becomes a problem? Hell no.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#27 » by Quake Griffin » Fri May 4, 2018 11:18 pm

FNQ wrote:Days 2 & 3 were so much better than Day 1.

I definitely dislike the Bryant trade, but the thing is, the WR market is bone dry right now outside of Dez. Bryant becomes our go-route WR, and displaces Seth Roberts - that's a great thing. Not to mention we have 3 WR now who are excellent deep ball catchers. The key will be how Jordy and Coop do in the short routes, as Gruden tends to avoid the intermediate a lot, which is Jordy's wheelhouse. Cook's as well.

But there are some reasons for optimism here:

- Our OL is still going to be one of the better units in the game. Penn - KO - Hudson - Jackson - Miller is a hefty line, and the interior blocking is top notch. Assuming Penn is still on the roster after this latest issue, we will have great pass-blocking across the line for the first time. RT wont be the turnstile point its been for the past year.

- Our RBs are on the old side, but still have juice. Most notably, Doug Martin. He doesnt have a ton of tread on the tires like Lynch does, and he's been great in the past between the tackles. With our interior linemen, he may run away with the job. And dont forget we're actually gonna use a FB this year to lead block

- Gaeron Conley will finally get a full offseason workout. It's basically like adding another 1st to this year's draft haul. Rashaan Melvin is a good #2, and Worley/Leon Hall will fight for slot duties. The big question is if Conley is up to being a #1, which I doubt he will this season, but he was a top 10 pick last year if not for the legal issue

- Our safeties should be much improved so long as we bench Reggie Nelson. I dont care if its Luani, Obi, or Gilchrist (my preference), but someone who can keep Karl Joseph at FS instead of having safeties that just span half the field will definitely improve the secondary

- Our DL got much more talented. Out with Jihad Ward, in with Maurice Hurst (a 1st round talent) and PJ Hall (a very un-heralded Aaron Donald type). I would expect Hall to unseat Vanderdoes in the preseason and earn a role next to Jelly, and kick Vanderdoes out to end as a backup for either Mack or MEJ. Hurst I think spells Hall as the 3-tech.. but really either one could start, so long as Hurst gets medically cleared

Here's what I think is grim, and always is for us: LB. Irvin, Whitehead, James is our projected starting group right now. Navorro Bowman coming back would be HUGE, as it would kick Whitehead to the WLB spot and James to sub packages.

But overall this team is still laced with potential and Gruden is a good enough football mind to use people appropriately. Last year we endured a very, very poor offensive scheme that was as vanilla as they come. With a top offensive mind in Gruden, and a top defensive mind in Guenther, I could see us coming close to 10 wins again.

Agree with everything here.

Cannot wait to see Hall, Hurst, Mack, and Mario in a contract year. Athleticism and push on the interior is going to be crucial and should give Mack some relief on the edges. Thank God Jihad Ward is gone.

I have no idea how Navorro is still an FA. We need him back and I'm perfectly content with the roster.
Apparently Derrick Johnson is the answer.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#28 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat May 5, 2018 12:57 am

Yeah I want Navarro back as well.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat May 19, 2018 4:00 am

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:48 am

We sign any more/other draft picks yet?

Other then FIFA World Cup 2018 & *some* UFC this is the dead spot for sports during the year for me.

Which I actually don't mind, I can catch up on watching/consuming media content(TV Shows/movies/anime etc)

Online/offline gaming etc.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders