ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Minor League News Thread - 2007

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#101 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue May 8, 2007 5:32 am

I think Joba could be on that list of possible 2008 call ups. He should be in Trenton in a couple of months, which will allow him to be in Scranton as early as the start of next season.

I know we have a ton of pitching prospects that are maybe 1-2 years away, but I'm just as interested in our hitting prospects that are maybe 2-4 years away.

Theres Abraham Almonte, who is basically Jose Reyes but with patience and power as a 17 year old. In the DSL last year, he stole 36 bases in 62 games and walked more than he struck out, posting a .409 OBP. He was also first on the team with 8 homers. He could be our top hitting prospect once Tabata reaches the majors.

He has some competition, which were his DSL teammates last season. My personal favorite is Carlos Urena, he's only 17 but already 6'2''/180. He pretty much swings at anything but he also makes excellent contact with anything, similar to Vlad. He has decent speed, but not 40 SB type or anything like that. His real claim to fame is his defense as he is arguably already the best defensive outfielder in the entire organization to go along with possibly the best arm. The only one that might be better is Tim Battle. Urena can be a gold glover who hits 3rd or cleanup in a lineup if all goes well.

Then we have Prilys Cuello, an 18 year old. He reminds me of Tabata but without nearly as high of a ceiling (which isn't a knock on Cuello, Tabata is just that good). I say that because he has a great approach at the plate far beyond his year, and he has excellent gap power that can turn into HR power as he gets stronger.

Finally, there is Jose Pirela. He is pretty similar to Tabata in a lot of ways as well, including his ceiling. There have been comparisons to Soriano or Tejada, but he hasn't played a professional game yet so lets hold off on that. He also has a great approach at the plate as he goes up the middle and the other way with ease, plus he has the speed to steal 30+ bases a year. For him, its all about developing power. He has the gap power and the swing that can develop into home run power.

Clearly, the organization realized that the top hitters are the international free agents. We haven't drafted a top hitting prospect in a while, and we got players such as Cano and Tabata on the international market. They then devoted a ton of resources to areas such as the Dominican Republic, which is where we found guys like these that can become stars in the majors.

The facility that we have built in the DR is an amazing thing, it is practically a factory for major league baseball players. It is a huge advantage to us and hopefully it continues to provide players such as these.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
And1: 0
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#102 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:53 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:I think Joba could be on that list of possible 2008 call ups. He should be in Trenton in a couple of months, which will allow him to be in Scranton as early as the start of next season.

I know we have a ton of pitching prospects that are maybe 1-2 years away, but I'm just as interested in our hitting prospects that are maybe 2-4 years away.

Theres Abraham Almonte, who is basically Jose Reyes but with patience and power as a 17 year old. In the DSL last year, he stole 36 bases in 62 games and walked more than he struck out, posting a .409 OBP. He was also first on the team with 8 homers. He could be our top hitting prospect once Tabata reaches the majors.

He has some competition, which were his DSL teammates last season. My personal favorite is Carlos Urena, he's only 17 but already 6'2''/180. He pretty much swings at anything but he also makes excellent contact with anything, similar to Vlad. He has decent speed, but not 40 SB type or anything like that. His real claim to fame is his defense as he is arguably already the best defensive outfielder in the entire organization to go along with possibly the best arm. The only one that might be better is Tim Battle. Urena can be a gold glover who hits 3rd or cleanup in a lineup if all goes well.

Then we have Prilys Cuello, an 18 year old. He reminds me of Tabata but without nearly as high of a ceiling (which isn't a knock on Cuello, Tabata is just that good). I say that because he has a great approach at the plate far beyond his year, and he has excellent gap power that can turn into HR power as he gets stronger.

Finally, there is Jose Pirela. He is pretty similar to Tabata in a lot of ways as well, including his ceiling. There have been comparisons to Soriano or Tejada, but he hasn't played a professional game yet so lets hold off on that. He also has a great approach at the plate as he goes up the middle and the other way with ease, plus he has the speed to steal 30+ bases a year. For him, its all about developing power. He has the gap power and the swing that can develop into home run power.

Clearly, the organization realized that the top hitters are the international free agents. We haven't drafted a top hitting prospect in a while, and we got players such as Cano and Tabata on the international market. They then devoted a ton of resources to areas such as the Dominican Republic, which is where we found guys like these that can become stars in the majors.

The facility that we have built in the DR is an amazing thing, it is practically a factory for major league baseball players. It is a huge advantage to us and hopefully it continues to provide players such as these.

NYKGM I've been waiting for Urena and Almonte to get their dues, is Almonte really like Jose Reyes ? I've heard those comparisons too, I can't wait to see the future hitting stars , I feel we are building w/ a 5 tool player mentality now
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#103 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 6:07 am

NYKnSTILL! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

NYKGM I've been waiting for Urena and Almonte to get their dues, is Almonte really like Jose Reyes ? I've heard those comparisons too, I can't wait to see the future hitting stars , I feel we are building w/ a 5 tool player mentality now

Almonte is definitely being compared to Jose Reyes. More power, probably not going to hit for as high an average as Jose Reyes. More patience than Jose, too. Has plus plus speed... here is Pinstripes Plus's writeup

Batting and Power. Like Jose Reyes, the ball jumps off of Almonte's bat with authority. And like Reyes, Amonte is a natural right-handed hitter who is learning to become a better hitter from the left side of the plate. While his power compares favorably to Reyes, perhaps even a shade better, Almonte has shown he can be extremely patient in the batter's box, a trait that Jose Reyes does not have.

Base Running and Speed. Almonte is one of the fastest players in the organization and his natural speed grades out an 80 on the traditional 20-80 scout's scale. But not uncommon for a 17-year old in his first year of professional baseball, Almonte has a lot to learn about the nuances of pitchers' moves to tap his true potential speed-wise. He should be a perennial 40+ stolen base threat and a game-changer on the base paths.

Defense. The only thing preventing Almonte from being the complete package on the field is his glove-work. He has the speed to cover a lot of terrain, but needs to position himself better, take better routes on ground balls, and work on turning double plays. He's too athletic not to pick up his defensive game in the coming years, but it is the biggest negative to his game rigt now.

Projection. Offensively, there aren't many position prospects in the Yankee organization with his upside. The fact that he's so patient at the plate also means he is a strong bet to reach his offensive ceiling. How he progresses with his defense will be the deciding factor in how far his game goes, but he has all the looks of a top prospect. He'll not only crack the Top 50 a year from now, but there's a strong chance he'll be a top ten prospect by 2007.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#104 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 6:27 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:love:

thanks Cmaff P.S. can you find some info on Cuello
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#105 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue May 8, 2007 7:07 am

CMAFF, I assume you have the subscription to PinstriplePlus as well? It really is a great thing to have.

Here is what they have on Cuello...
Batting and Power. Cuello has a very advanced approach at the plate for a player his age. He is willing to sit on his pitch and his plan, going from the middle to the opposite field, is mature beyond his years. He is already an excellent gap hitter and scouts believe his plus gap power will turn into decent home run production as he gets older. He does have some work to do on his pitch recognition however and cut down on his strikeouts to be the contact hitter the Yankees believe he can be.

Base Running and Speed. Cuello doesn't have the plus speed normally associated with a middle infielder but he has some adequate wheels. He is pretty quick once he's in motion, which aids his extra-base hit totals, but doesn't have the great first step to get out of the box to be a top-flight base stealer. He should be able to steal anywhere from 10-20 bases per year though.

Defense. Cuello has solid range, good footwork, and soft hands at second base. He also has a strong enough arm to play shortstop but he needs to continue work on positioning himself better in the field and turning double plays. He isn't a great defensive player but he has the makings of developing into a solid one.

Projection.
Cuello is more of a steady prospect than a projection guy. His patient offensive approach, ability to control the outside part of the plate, and solid defensive ability are excellent signs he safely projects as a big league starting second baseman. If he can cut down on his strikeouts too and improve the consistency of his contact hitting, he projects to be a high-average hitter with average home run power who could fit in nicely in the number two hole with his adequate speed. The comparisons to Robinson Cano and Carlos Baerga are not that far off.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#106 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 1:31 pm

thanks NYKGM
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#107 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 1:56 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:CMAFF, I assume you have the subscription to PinstriplePlus as well? It really is a great thing to have.

:nod: :nod: It's awesome.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#108 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 4:18 pm

Clemens didn't want more than one year. Pettitte has an option for year two, he wasn't sure he wanted to pitch next year. We signed Igawa for four years.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#109 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 4:20 pm

34Celtic wrote:Clemens didn't want more than one year. Pettitte has an option for year two, he wasn't sure he wanted to pitch next year. We signed Igawa for four years.

doesn't go against the luxury tax :)
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#110 » by 34Celtic » Tue May 8, 2007 5:08 pm

The posting fee doesn't. Any salary we pay goes against the luxury tax
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#111 » by NYKnSTILL! » Tue May 8, 2007 5:11 pm

34Celtic wrote:The posting fee doesn't. Any salary we pay goes against the luxury tax

got it mixed up
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Chach » Tue May 8, 2007 8:40 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I would agree with you if Kennedy was a HS pitcher who needs to move slowly, although I'm aware that Buchholz is not either. However, the Yankees drafted him with the intention of moving him quickly. I wouldn't be saying all of this if there was not an empty spot in Trenton waiting for him, and moving him would make room for Chamberlain in Tampa. That is the only reason I want him promoted, its not as if somebody is blocking him. He has proven that high A ball is not where he is supposed to be at this point.

While I am not entirely sure what happend to Kennedy, it appears that he missed a year of baseball in 2005. I'm assuming it was one of two things, he was injured or academically ineligible. If he was injured, moving him slowly and work on his development and training in one spot will be a much safer route. Anytime a guy was injured in college is always a red flag for me.

Buchholz's AA season thus far>>>Hughes AA season last year. Whether he keeps it up or not is another debate but Buch is destroying the Eastern League as we speak. mahalo
~Chach~
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#113 » by cmaff051 » Tue May 8, 2007 8:50 pm

Chach wrote:
Buchholz's AA season thus far>>>Hughes AA season last year.

:rofl: :rofl: By what metric? That's not true at all, not to mention the fact that Hughes was two years younger. Not to mention small sample size.

Hughes has better stuff, better command, better poise, better everything, and he's two years younger... it's not even close.

But what would I expect out of the fans who hyped Manny Delcarmen as being the next Tom Gordon? Or Craig Hansen the next Mariano Rivera? Or Jacob Ellisbury as the next Johnny Damon?
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Chach » Tue May 8, 2007 11:44 pm

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :rofl: By what metric? That's not true at all, not to mention the fact that Hughes was two years younger. Not to mention small sample size.

Hughes has better stuff, better command, better poise, better everything, and he's two years younger... it's not even close.

But what would I expect out of the fans who hyped Manny Delcarmen as being the next Tom Gordon? Or Craig Hansen the next Mariano Rivera? Or Jacob Ellisbury as the next Johnny Damon?

That's it? No wrothing at the mouth? No lambasting me into next week? Come on Yankees fans, that was a softball "troll attack" question and I get nothing? What's the point?

Although I do believe what I wrong, what metric you ask?
Buchholz:
27.1 IP
1.98 ERA
3BB
11.67 K/BB
11.53 K/IP
.188 Average Against

Hughes:
116 IP
2.25 ERA
138 K
32 BB
4.31 K/BB
10.70 K/IP
.179 Average Against

By those measures. Please don't take me as a Red Sox homer. I fully acknowledge that Hughes is the better prospect and that his numbers are slightly more impressive being 22 months younger and that Clay's production could be a product of small sample size but I would not agree with everything you said. Just for safe measure, here is Buchholz's composite stats from last year:
119 IP
2.42 ERA
140 K
33 BB
4.24 K/BB
10.58 K/IP
.208 Average Against

So as you can see, he didn't come out of LF and he has put up similar numbers to Hughes (although I will always concede that Hughes is better). But if you look at his stats from this year versus Hughes, he's been lights out and could be called better by an objective opinion and not be a nutcase (of course the same arguement can be made for Hughes being better and have the same result). It's OK guys, you can have man-crushes on the awesomeness that is Clay Buchholz just like I can have a man-cruh on Philip Hughes. mahalo
~Chach~
P.S. Ellsbury is currently sporting a 19 game hitting streak between Portland and Pawtucket and prior to his promotion, Ellsbury was leading the minor leagues with a .452 batting average and also had a 1.162 OPS. Not bad for a leadoff guy. mahalo
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#115 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed May 9, 2007 2:57 am

Chach I'm fully aware of your knowledge, I respect just about every opinion you put out there. Buchholz is a superb prospect, not everybody has to be as good as Hughes. I just don't think that he will match Hughes' numbers from last year over a full season, although its possible because he is very good. The combination of his stuff/command just isn't as good to do it for 6 months months like Hughes did.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by Chach » Wed May 9, 2007 6:24 am

We shall see. I honestly threw it out there to see if I could stir the pot but that fizzled :sadface:. mahalo
~Chach~
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#117 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 2:58 am

A

ACTION JACKSON IS BACK :P
Austin Jackson having a good night 3-4 2B
and one RBI

AAA

CHASE WRIGHT vs PAWTUCKETT
Wright line has gone (86 pitches)
7 IP, 6 hits, 1 run 3 walks 1 K GB/FB 14-5

Chase Wright was solid today -- he gave up one run in seven innings -- but he struck out just one while walking three. He said he's happy with his fastball command, but his offspeed pitches have been giving him problems. He's leaving them up in the zone.

That might be something to keep an eye on with him.

Also, he's wearing the number 4, which he said used to be his brother's number when they were younger. He also wanted a single digit number.

The number is not a reference to the four consecutive home runs he surrendered in his second major league start, but Wright said the irony is not lost on him. He's come to laugh at his dubious place in baseball history.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#118 » by cmaff051 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:16 am

Action Jackson isn't in AAA. :P He's in Low A charleston. But he's only 20, and he sure is an exciting prospect. He needs to cut down on his strikeouts some more, but he has some nice tools. Let's hope for the best... he isn't a fringy prospect like Melky Cabrera... he could be our future centerfielder.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#119 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu May 10, 2007 4:10 am

For Jackson it isn't about the homers he hits or the doubles, its all about the strikeouts. Last year he struck out nearly 30% of the time, and if he kept that up this year he would've been on the verge of losing his title as a prospect. Now, he is about to be a top prospect once again if he keeps this up. Last year his K/BB ratio was 151/61, this year so far it is 23/10. That is an improvement, and most of his Ks came back in the first couple of weeks of the season. He has been on a tear of late. I'm glad for him, when he was drafted he was oozing with potential and I was sure we had our future CF. His decision of choosing baseball over basketball looked like a bad one for a little bit, but perhaps that has changed now.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#120 » by NYKnSTILL! » Thu May 10, 2007 5:04 am

WELL NYKGM YOUR FAVORITE KID IS AT IT AGAIN :D

A

MR. KENNEDY
[color=red]Ian Kennedy 1 run allowed in 5 IP, 4 hits and three walks
allowed, 4 strikeouts. He has made 6 starts and 3 IP
relief appearance. He is 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA. The
only appearance in which he allowed more than 1 ER
he allowed three runs on six hits in 5.3 innings,
walked three and struck out nine! Today

Return to New York Yankees