ImageImage

Offical Draft Thread.

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,263

Post#61 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:20 pm

ajb905 wrote:http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070607&content_id=2011498&vkey=draft2007&fext=.jsp

They have him listed as a LF/1B so they must think he can play the OF. Sounds like this guy has a huge bat, it will be interesting to see if he signs how quickly he can make it to the majors. With all the talk of him being fast-tracked, maybe 2009?

I'd say that's a very good possibility, but would it shock a ton of people if he were a September call-up due to the lack of right handed bats on the bench? Zimmerman was called up the fall that he was drafted in and he did well. Who knows?
LeopoldStotch
Junior
And1: 0

Post#62 » by LeopoldStotch » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:28 pm

DrugBust wrote:I'd say that's a very good possibility, but would it shock a ton of people if he were a September call-up due to the lack of right handed bats on the bench? Zimmerman was called up the fall that he was drafted in and he did well. Who knows?

I, for one, would be shocked. He hasn't even learned to hit with a wooden bat yet. What position would he play? My guess is that, like Braun, he'll need a couple years to learn LF before we can bring him up, whether his bat is ready or not.
deep throat
Banned User

Post#63 » by deep throat » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:34 pm

LeopoldStotch wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I, for one, would be shocked. He hasn't even learned to hit with a wooden bat yet. What position would he play? My guess is that, like Braun, he'll need a couple years to learn LF before we can bring him up, whether his bat is ready or not.

Your right that is totally out of the question. Zimmerman was a Gold glove level infielder = this guy has big ? marks defensively. Zimmerman signed very fast, with Boras you can bet it will take some time. Some considered him the best player in the draft a year ago (he went 4th). Guzman and Castilla were in big slumps.
Check out this site http://nflplaya.com/
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:40 pm

LF isn't exactly rocket science. It's without a doubt one of the easier positions to pick up. He'll be up when his bat is ready.
ajb905
Rookie
And1: 311

Post#65 » by ajb905 » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:43 pm

the one thing that is nice about getting a college bat is that they are of the four groups (college and HS bats/pitchers) most likely to make it to the bigs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=5152

Him being a Sept call up is probably not going to happen but I think it was suggested that he would be a pinch hitter and not really play in the field (though he could spot Prince who doesn't really have a true backup). I remember guys like Prior and maybe Chad Cordero were used as September call ups right after they were drafted. But I don't think many hitters have that opportunity.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:46 pm

ajb905 wrote:the one thing that is nice about getting a college bat is that they are of the four groups (college and HS bats/pitchers) most likely to make it to the bigs.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/artic ... cleid=5152

Him being a Sept call up is probably not going to happen but I think it was suggested that he would be a pinch hitter and not really play in the field (though he could spot Prince who doesn't really have a true backup). I remember guys like Prior and maybe Chad Cordero were used as September call ups right after they were drafted. But I don't think many hitters have that opportunity.

That's actually what I was thinking. Provided he gets a major league contract he could be used as a PH. Weeks got that chance with the organization and like I said, Zimmerman was also a success story.
LeopoldStotch
Junior

Post#67 » by LeopoldStotch » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:46 pm

DrugBust wrote:LF isn't exactly rocket science. It's without a doubt one of the easier positions to pick up. He'll be up when his bat is ready.

Easy position or not, it's still major league baseball and errors will kill you. If offense alone got players to the bigs, Braun would've been our starting 3B on opening day.

It's funny that you mentioned Zimmerman earlier, he's a top-notch defensive 3B. Not to mention it's his natural position and he started at AA after being drafted.

There's no way this guy plays this year and highly unlikely he plays next year either.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:49 pm

Easy position or not, it's still major league baseball and errors will kill you. If offense alone got players to the bigs, Braun would've been our starting 3B on opening day.

It's funny that you mentioned Zimmerman earlier, he's a top-notch defensive 3B. Not to mention it's his natural position and he started at AA after being drafted.

There's no way this guy plays this year and highly unlikely he plays next year either.

Remember Ricky Weeks? Drafted in '03, signed a ML contract and was called up in September? Was his defense a factor in giving up some big league at bats?

I'm not saying he'll be a starter. I'm saying he could get an inning here or there and play as a pinch hitter off the bench.
LeopoldStotch
Junior

Post#69 » by LeopoldStotch » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:50 pm

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

That's actually what I was thinking. Provided he gets a major league contract he could be used as a PH. Weeks got that chance with the organization and like I said, Zimmerman was also a success story.

Why would we call up a guy who can only pinch hit and play a lousy 1B? That's absurd.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,800

Post#70 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:51 pm

He sounds like one of the top bats in the draft. If you have any athletic ability at all -- he played C, 3B, and 1B in college -- you can play LF so I'm not worried about a position.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:51 pm

Why would we call up a guy who can only pinch hit and play a lousy 1B? That's absurd.

Why did they call up a guy in '03 who could only pinch hit and play lousy 2B?

It all depends on the contract he signs.
deep throat
Banned User

Post#72 » by deep throat » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:52 pm

Yes - I ammended my earlier post with this in case you missed it- Zimmerman was a Gold glove level infielder = this guy has big ? marks defensively. Zimmerman signed very fast, with Boras you can bet it will take some time. Some considered him the best player in the draft a year ago (he went 4th). Guzman and Castilla were in big slumps.

When they called up Weeks the team was not in contention. That was let's see what we have thing.
LeopoldStotch
Junior

Post#73 » by LeopoldStotch » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:52 pm

Remember Ricky Weeks? Drafted in '03, signed a ML contract and was called up in September? Was his defense a factor in giving up some big league at bats?

I'm not saying he'll be a starter. I'm saying he could get an inning here or there and play as a pinch hitter off the bench.

And what was the Brewers record that year? Not to mention our depth was non-existent.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#74 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 7, 2007 8:55 pm

He won't be up, at least not in any way that he'd be considered a contributor. He might just come up and sit on the pine in September if they want him to get the MLB experience.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:00 pm

Ayt wrote:He won't be up, at least not in any way that he'd be considered a contributor. He might just come up and sit on the pine in September if they want him to get the MLB experience.

Which is what I meant. He's not going to start but I could certainly see him get 10-15 at bats over the course of the month to get his feet wet.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#76 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:01 pm

Which is what I meant. He's not going to start but I could certainly see him get 10-15 at bats over the course of the month to get his feet wet.

They could certainly do that and just let him get some burn if games are already decided or if the race has been completed.
deep throat
Banned User

Post#77 » by deep throat » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:02 pm

Ayt wrote:He won't be up, at least not in any way that he'd be considered a contributor. He might just come up and sit on the pine in September if they want him to get the MLB experience.

Why would they use up a spot for a guy to just basically sit on the pine when they are in contention.

Let's hope he just gets signed (he is a Boras guy), gets up here within a couple years, and can show a good glove and bat in the minors. Talking about this guy like he has a chance to make it up right away has about no and HELL no chance of happening. In 2006 he was a 14th round pick (missed 13 games, but hit only .259). This year he was ranked no better then 20th best player by people that spend a lot more time doing this then any of us here.

It sounds like a good pick for them.
Ayt
RealGM

Post#78 » by Ayt » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:05 pm

Because rosters expand in September?
deep throat
Banned User

Post#79 » by deep throat » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:12 pm

Ayt wrote:Because rosters expand in September?

Yes, but he still takes up a spot. I don't know if you are watching the same team. The guy I want up pretty soon is Yovani Gallardo. For a team in contention (which we hope they are) they need production, not to give a amateur draft guy a look. If they need someone to pinch hit for fielder they have Andy Abad hitting around .350 @ Nashville. He also is a proven fielder in AAA.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jun 7, 2007 9:13 pm

Ayt wrote:Because rosters expand in September?

Some people don't understand MLB 101, yet. Forgive them.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers