34Celtic
Analyst
And1: 0

No Arod Extension Talk since spring??? 

Post#1 » by 34Celtic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:04 pm

NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#2 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:16 pm

he's not going anywhere.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 306

Post#3 » by nykgeneralmanager » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 pm

The Yankees don't discuss contract extensions during the season, that won't change.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#4 » by 34Celtic » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:46 pm

NYKnSTILL! wrote:he's not going anywhere.

He's got three years left. Who's to say he doesn't opt out and guarantee himself 8 more years at $25 mil a year. Any great businessman would do it.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#5 » by Pharmcat » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:The Yankees don't discuss contract extensions during the season, that won't change.
xNewYorkMadex
General Manager
And1: 5,758

Post#6 » by xNewYorkMadex » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:11 pm

Yea and the same goes for Mo and Posada
Andrea Bargnani nYk 2013-2015
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#7 » by cmaff051 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:20 pm

xTheHunterx wrote:Yea and the same goes for Mo and Posada

Exactly, the contract extension discussions of Mo, Posada and (possibly) Arod will all take place at the same time... in the offseason. This is nothing new.
VinnyTheMick
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#8 » by VinnyTheMick » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:09 pm

If you open up talks with A Rod then you have to with Jorge & Mo.

Just let A Rod know he's very much wanted in the Bronx but no talks until the offseason.
http://www.nyccan.org/
Ask questions. Demand answers.
A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth.- Albert Einstein
TKF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 116

Post#9 » by TKF » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:49 am

I heard A-rod is about to buy a 18 million dollar penthouse in manhattan. He isn't going anywhere!
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#10 » by throwbackewing33 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:58 am

Im not worried about it..
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,736

Post#11 » by Lord Commander » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:31 pm

You guys are gonna wind up paying this clown 160-175 million for 5 years :lol: :lol: .... gotdamn!!!!
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by nykgeneralmanager » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:24 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:You guys are gonna wind up paying this clown 160-175 million for 5 years :lol: :lol: .... gotdamn!!!!

Rather give him that than lose his production. Two-three years ago it could've been argued that we can do without him, because Giambi was still a 40 HR hitter, we had Sheffield hitting 35, everybody expected Matsui to hit 30-35, etc. Now most of that is gone, so ARod's 40+ homers and 130+ RBI are necessary to keep around. Give him the $30 million a season and let him get 3 more MVP awards in pinstripes to go along with hopefully a few rings so he can cement himself as not only one of the best players ever, but one of the best Yankees.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#13 » by 34Celtic » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:38 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:You guys are gonna wind up paying this clown 160-175 million for 5 years :lol: :lol: .... gotdamn!!!!

Thats fine....were the New York friggan Yankees
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,736

Post#14 » by Lord Commander » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:34 pm

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rather give him that than lose his production. Two-three years ago it could've been argued that we can do without him, because Giambi was still a 40 HR hitter, we had Sheffield hitting 35, everybody expected Matsui to hit 30-35, etc. Now most of that is gone, so ARod's 40+ homers and 130+ RBI are necessary to keep around. Give him the $30 million a season and let him get 3 more MVP awards in pinstripes to go along with hopefully a few rings so he can cement himself as not only one of the best players ever, but one of the best Yankees.

At some point the well is going to run dry and the Yanks are going to be hamstrung by these outlandish salaries they're paying out. Jeezus, you're better off pumping that cash into top-flight starting pitching. A-Rod will not be the reason if/when you win another championship... "pitching, pitching, pitching." If Johan becomes available during A-Rod's five year extension are you gonna give him 35 million too?!?!
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,042

Post#15 » by Pharmcat » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:45 pm

TKF wrote:I heard A-rod is about to buy a 18 million dollar penthouse in manhattan. He isn't going anywhere!

that place is sickkkk, its like 15 million....very nice place
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by nykgeneralmanager » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:46 pm

ToHoleWithSoul wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

At some point the well is going to run dry and the Yanks are going to be hamstrung by these outlandish salaries they're paying out. Jeezus, you're better off pumping that cash into top-flight starting pitching. A-Rod will not be the reason if/when you win another championship... "pitching, pitching, pitching." If Johan becomes available during A-Rod's five year extension are you gonna give him 35 million too?!?!

You'd make an awful general manager :lol:

You pay big money for free agent hitting, you develop pitching in your own system. If you pump cash into starting pitching then you get screwed. These days, #4 starters get $12 million a year. Aces will cost $20-25 million annually AT LEAST.

That is why you pay for free agent hitting. Sure, the number I just threw out there is also what ARod gets, but he is far and away the best hitter in baseball and is in his prime. Nobody will get a contract like that except him.

Pitching has to be developed from the inside, which is what Cashman realized two years ago or so. Giving money to the Pavanos, Wrights, and Randy Johnsons of the world doesn't solve anything. Use that money for hitters (hitters are much much more of sure things) and put it into the draft/international signings. Now the Yankees have 3 ace potential pitchers in Hughes/Chamberlain/Betances, and a huge amount of #2-#3 potential pitchers. If HALF of the guys work out, the Yankees will have the best rotation in baseball for years.

That is how you build the team, not by pouring money into free agent pitchers. That is a lose lose situation.

ARod is necessary for this team to remain a contender, its that simlpe. Give him the money and move on.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#17 » by 34Celtic » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:51 pm

The Yankees well will run dry? im sorry I stopped reading there
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#18 » by cmaff051 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:38 pm

I agree, Arod isn't worth 25-30 mil a year. If we need to give him that in when he is 35-40 in order for him to stay here, then Arod needs to take a hike.

Arod isn't worth that kind of money, nobody is worth that kind of money, but if I was to dish out that kind of money, it would be for pitching.
nykgeneralmanager
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by nykgeneralmanager » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:08 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I agree, Arod isn't worth 25-30 mil a year. If we need to give him that in when he is 35-40 in order for him to stay here, then Arod needs to take a hike.

Arod isn't worth that kind of money, nobody is worth that kind of money, but if I was to dish out that kind of money, it would be for pitching.

So you're content with going into next season with MAYBE one 20 HR guy? And probably 0 25+ HR guy?

If we can give all the money we have to the scrubs of the world which we have done, then lets do the right thing and give it to somebody we KNOW is going to produce. Pay extra, the well isn't runnnig dry in our lifetime.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user

Post#20 » by cmaff051 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:46 am

nykgeneralmanager wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So you're content with going into next season with MAYBE one 20 HR guy? And probably 0 25+ HR guy?

If we can give all the money we have to the scrubs of the world which we have done, then lets do the right thing and give it to somebody we KNOW is going to produce. Pay extra, the well isn't runnnig dry in our lifetime.

If we need to pay 25-30 million dollar a year for one player who is going to be in his mid to late 30s during that entire contract, then yes I'd be content to go into the season with MAYBE one 20 HR guy.

I don't care how good Arod is now, that contract would be dreadful. We don't need to lock ourselves into those types of contracts. Just because we have that type of money doesn't mean we should spend it irresponsibly.

Return to New York Yankees