Moderator: bwgood77

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Re: Chargers draft 

Post#21 » by Revived » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I know the Chargers forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, so I'll check it out more and see what's happening. Basketball is my first love, but I do like football also. As far as the Chargers go I think we could improve our defense. I've been all in on the NBA lately so I'm not that familiar with the players in the NBA draft. Hopefully we can find someone that will help impact the defense.

I take it you are not around for a game thread tonight. I see you haven't logged in since Aug 26th. Are mods allowed to take that big of break?

Looks like Rivers is staying a Charger! :D
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,482

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:44 pm

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
thanumba2clippersfan wrote:I know the Chargers forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, so I'll check it out more and see what's happening. Basketball is my first love, but I do like football also. As far as the Chargers go I think we could improve our defense. I've been all in on the NBA lately so I'm not that familiar with the players in the NBA draft. Hopefully we can find someone that will help impact the defense.

I take it you are not around for a game thread tonight. I see you haven't logged in since Aug 26th. Are mods allowed to take that big of break?

Did he sign a contract? If you are just talking about Schefter's report, I won't believe it for sure until the Titans pick is made, and maybe not all the way until the Chargers pick is made (like when Eli was traded for Rivers).

It's smart for the Chargers to say Rivers is staying put even if they are willing to trade him. The worst would be if we traded him AND the #17 pick for Mariota.
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#23 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri May 1, 2015 12:13 am

bwgood77 wrote:

I just saw this come up on my notifications, I was moving from California to Pennsylvania at the time. So the forum wasn't my priority at that time, it was getting my family across the country safety.

As far as the draft tonight I hope we get someone good.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Revived
RealGM

Post#24 » by Revived » Fri May 1, 2015 12:42 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:

Did he sign a contract? If you are just talking about Schefter's report, I won't believe it for sure until the Titans pick is made, and maybe not all the way until the Chargers pick is made (like when Eli was traded for Rivers).

It's smart for the Chargers to say Rivers is staying put even if they are willing to trade him. The worst would be if we traded him AND the #17 pick for Mariota.

Kevin Acee Chargers beat writer reported SD told Rivers he will not be traded. He's staying :D
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 1, 2015 1:41 am

thanumba2clippersfan wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I just saw this come up on my notifications, I was moving from California to Pennsylvania at the time. So the forum wasn't my priority at that time, it was getting my family across the country safety.

As far as the draft tonight I hope we get someone good.

And hopefully the Clippers win. I'm damn tired of the Spurs!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 1, 2015 1:43 am

SF88 wrote:Looks like Rivers is staying a Charger! :D

It's smart for the Chargers to say Rivers is staying put even if they are willing to trade him. The worst would be if we traded him AND the #17 pick for Mariota.[/quote]
Kevin Acee Chargers beat writer reported SD told Rivers he will not be traded. He's staying :D[/quote]

Well that's great news. Now I can't wait to see who we pick. Who do you think we will pick and hope we will pick? I wonder if the Chargers or Cards will end up with Melvin Gordon.

Edit: Well, I see we just made a trade for the next pick!
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#27 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Fri May 1, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks bwgood77, I'm hopeful that the Clippers will win tonight.

And we just drafted Melvin Gordon!
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
Revived
RealGM

Post#28 » by Revived » Fri May 1, 2015 8:19 am

I didn't like trading up for him but I like the pick. Gordon should be good.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 1, 2015 5:36 pm

SF88 wrote:I didn't like trading up for him but I like the pick. Gordon should be good.

It does seem like a lot to give up...they must have really thought Houston was going to take him..but if he is your guy, it's tough to leave it to chance. Gordon was awesome at Ohio St, so I'm excited to have a quality back like that. I did read his weakness can be that he often gets tackled in the backfield (20% of time) so he needs holes......I often though Oliver would have been ok if he didn't run into a defender immediately in the backfield half the time, so hopefully our line is better at that. From SI:

Strengths: Impressive speed to and through the hole. Accelerates to top speed quickly, which allows him to be very effective on draws and delays. Second gear has him moving smoothly pact linebackers and into the secondary in a big hurry. Has the speed and cutting ability to jump multiple gaps. Tremendous balance—doesn't lose his base when moving laterally; keeps his shoulders straight and the speed on. Home-run potential on nearly every play as long as he gets through an open gap at the line. Best as an outside rusher where he can utilize his acceleration to eat up huge chunks of yardage.—DF

Weaknesses: Reportedly held to zero or negative yards on nearly 20 percent of his carries, and that shows up on tape. A fairly big back, but he's not a power player who will consistently break through the first line if gaps aren't open. Not creative enough to get out of trash after first contact—needs to use his vision better to get out of trouble. Breaks tackles with acceleration more than raw power. Runs too upright at times and loses leverage. Could get lost in the NFL unless he learns to take advantage of smaller and quicker-closing gaps. Benefited from a physical, imposing line in college, and may need that at the next level. Average receiver who will need to improve this aspect of his game as a professional. Fumbled multiple times down the stretch in the 2014 season.—DF

Player comparison:Jamaal Charles

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/04/30/san-di ... -nfl-draft

I read somewhere else that we ran up the middle more than any team in the nfl last year which is a bit surprising given our injuries and center rotation.
Revived
RealGM

Post#30 » by Revived » Sun May 10, 2015 12:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SF88 wrote:I didn't like trading up for him but I like the pick. Gordon should be good.

It does seem like a lot to give up...they must have really thought Houston was going to take him..but if he is your guy, it's tough to leave it to chance. Gordon was awesome at Ohio St, so I'm excited to have a quality back like that. I did read his weakness can be that he often gets tackled in the backfield (20% of time) so he needs holes......I often though Oliver would have been ok if he didn't run into a defender immediately in the backfield half the time, so hopefully our line is better at that. From SI:

Strengths: Impressive speed to and through the hole. Accelerates to top speed quickly, which allows him to be very effective on draws and delays. Second gear has him moving smoothly pact linebackers and into the secondary in a big hurry. Has the speed and cutting ability to jump multiple gaps. Tremendous balance—doesn't lose his base when moving laterally; keeps his shoulders straight and the speed on. Home-run potential on nearly every play as long as he gets through an open gap at the line. Best as an outside rusher where he can utilize his acceleration to eat up huge chunks of yardage.—DF

Weaknesses: Reportedly held to zero or negative yards on nearly 20 percent of his carries, and that shows up on tape. A fairly big back, but he's not a power player who will consistently break through the first line if gaps aren't open. Not creative enough to get out of trash after first contact—needs to use his vision better to get out of trouble. Breaks tackles with acceleration more than raw power. Runs too upright at times and loses leverage. Could get lost in the NFL unless he learns to take advantage of smaller and quicker-closing gaps. Benefited from a physical, imposing line in college, and may need that at the next level. Average receiver who will need to improve this aspect of his game as a professional. Fumbled multiple times down the stretch in the 2014 season.—DF

I read somewhere else that we ran up the middle more than any team in the nfl last year which is a bit surprising given our injuries and center rotation.

I think you mean Wisconsin :wink:

And yea he' was a beast in college, he broke LT's (ironically enough) single game rushing record.

I don't know if Houston would have taken him though because they already had Foster.

The Perryman pick was ok but I don't like the Mager pick. He's a reach and we had bigger needs like OL, DL and pass rush imo.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:39 am

SF88 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think you mean Wisconsin :wink:

And yea he' was a beast in college, he broke LT's (ironically enough) single game rushing record.

I don't know if Houston would have taken him though because they already had Foster.

The Perryman pick was ok but I don't like the Mager pick. He's a reach and we had bigger needs like OL, DL and pass rush imo.

Oh yeah, Wisconsin. He didn't look so good against Ohio St. Well he is a good kid so I'm sure Rivers will like him...Woodhead will be a great mentor and Oliver will be a great change of pace back. I just hope our line holds up. It should be better, but if we could just add one more guy it would be nice. I'm glad we got a corner actually, because when Verrett or Flowers went down we were exposed in a really bad way. No need to plug a crappy guy like Marshall in there if that happens....assuming Mager isn't crap. But yes, of course we need a pass rush.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers