SD @ KC...playoffs on the line...can they do it?

Moderator: bwgood77

thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Re: SD @ KC...playoffs on the line...can they do it? 

Post#21 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:53 pm

So true I know the effort isn't there since we're getting beat. Plus the Ravens are beating the Browns so I'm pretty much ready to say good bye to the playoffs.
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
thanumba2clippersfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 700

Post#22 » by thanumba2clippersfan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Well that's it, the season is over. I'll try to check on the forum every now and then
I've been an LA Clipper fan since 1998 and that will never change. I hate our new logo and jerseys!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:13 am

matt131 wrote:No one on our team showed up today. What a pathetic way to end the season. I think the biggest thing for us this offseason will be getting healthy. We still need an elite pass rusher and Ryan Mathews has yet to stay healthy during any pivotal stretch of his career. Something needs to change. We've been "right there" two years in a row now, but we have yet to truly compete. And the Suns are basically a .500 team. haha sometimes sports just suck

Sorry I wasn't around, but that was a disappointing game for a few reasons. We ran the ball, and did it well, but when you get down early you need to preserve the clock too. I especially can't understand why, with the team down 12 with a little over 4 minutes left, they run it three out of four plays. We get 9 on 1st down, take a shot at the end zone (normally understandable if you are not playing a great Chiefs defensive front) and then run it up the middle against that front on 3rd and 4th. Then not getting a td on the earlier possession where Royal got it down to the 2 was brutal. The Gates play on 4th down was ridiculous. I called it to the people watching it...because they had all the receivers on the left and Gates alone on the right...they did the exact opposite formation last week....BUT THE WORST THING ABOUT IT WAS RIVERS WENT UP TO GATES AND WHISPERED IN HIS EAR RIGHT BEFORE THE PLAY AND THEN STILL PASSED IT TO HIM EVEN THOUGH HE HAD DOUBLE COVERAGE!!

The thing that pisses me off the most though is clock management....they have no sense of urgency. Rivers burns FAR too much clock every week when down. Then Floyd makes no effort to get out of bounds with just over two minutes left down by two scores. McCoy must not emphasize this nor obviously Rivers doesn't do it in the huddle since he doesn't care himself.

The two non pass interference call plays in the end zone (Royal in the corner and Floyd down the right side long route) could have cost us the game and given us two scores too.

But I don't know if this team deserved it...they had luck in a few games this season and were probably too banged up to win a playoff game anyway.

Ultimately I am not super disappointed with the season because we were missing our top 3-4 centers, our starting rb, our starting 3rd down back, our best receiver (in the last couple of games), our punter who is one of the best in the nfl, our #1 draft pick who looked good early in the year, and had other multiple injuries that kept people out of games (Flowers, Ingram, Freeney, Teo, etc) and we were still right there.....and we had a season where every game is meaningful....at least we were vested until the end....nothing is worse than knowing you are not going anywhere early in the season. I think if healthy and with good clock management, this could be a VERY good team.

I would focus most in the draft on the OL, because ultimately, this team lives or dies with Rivers and pass protection makes the difference. A great pass rusher would be nice but our D looks good. I was especially impressed by our D by holding so many teams on so many possessions the last 4-5 weeks (outside of SF) to field goals once they were in the red zone.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#24 » by Revived » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:14 am

This is probably one of the most embarrassing losses in franchise history.

In a "Win and your in" situation, Chargers play against a team with a backup QB and come out completely flat and get destroyed.

What does Mike McCoy do during practice? Did he expect Justin Houston and KC pass rushers to not show up?

And that decision to try the FG and the decision to not run the ball even once from 3 yards out are probably the worst decisions I have seen from a coach in a very long time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#25 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jan 4, 2015 2:32 am

SF88 wrote:This is probably one of the most embarrassing losses in franchise history.

In a "Win and your in" situation, Chargers play against a team with a backup QB and come out completely flat and get destroyed.

What does Mike McCoy do during practice? Did he expect Justin Houston and KC pass rushers to not show up?

And that decision to try the FG and the decision to not run the ball even once from 3 yards out are probably the worst decisions I have seen from a coach in a very long time.

Some bad decisions and just not being able to convert 3rd or 4th downs and 1 are ridiculous. They really need to work on clock management.

Sucks especially since a Steelers team without Bell would have been one we could win.

Return to Los Angeles Chargers