Official San Diego Draft/Offseason Thread

Moderator: bwgood77

CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Official San Diego Draft/Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by CJ_18 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 am

I know we all definetly had high expectations for our Chargers this season, but guys realistically, we did very well. If you told me we would lose to possibly the best team in history by 9 in their house, and our defense held them to 21, and we were missing our MVP, i would've called you crazy.

I don't know about you guys but like..i was very thrilled that we beat the defending champions, and to be honest, i would've been happy with any result against the pats.

One thing i dont know if all of you guys realize is..how YOUNG and TALENTED we are. Look at this:

Philip Rivers: age 25
Ladainian Tomlinson: 27
Antonio Gates: 26
Vincent Jackson: 23
Marcus Mcneill: 23
Nick Hardwick: 25
Shawne Merriman: 22
Shaun Phillips: 25
Antonio Cromartie: 22
Drayton Florence: 26
Eric Weddle: 22

We probably have the best combonation of youth, athleticism and talent in the league.

Anyways, i signed up to be the mock GM of the chargers in the NFL Draft Board's 'User Mock Draft'

pretty simple, I signed up and we (me and the rest of you charger fans) will be able to operate a mock draft as if we were the Chargers front office.

So 'mamba, Dr. MJ, Phil 2.0, and all of you other chargers fans can submit your ideas of good prospects that we should look at taking. I believe we have the 28th pick.

We NEED need to gain maximum value from this pick since we have 'traded away or sacrificed via the 2007 Supplemental Draft' our picks in rounds two, three, and four. (meaning we only have 1 pick till the 5th round)

Experts say it wouldnt surprise anyone if we traded our 1st rounder for either a greater # of picks in the later rounds, or less likely just players.(and in this user mock draft we are probably going to be allowed to make our own trades)

Assuming I/we keep the pick... looking through our depth chart: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamDepthC ... ryId=67068 ... we dont really have that many glaring holes. For the most part were well balanced and pretty deep.

I think if we keep this pick, the one place that needs to be filled is at Nose Tackle. Jamal Williams is aging and we have no depth behind him.

If we get some picks in the middle rounds (2,3,4) i think we can look to add depth to our d-line,secondary,o-line,receiver.

I encourage all of you to post scouting reports or even just names of prospects you would like us to look at. I'll start with a scouting report of a very talented nose tackle out of the University of North Carolina:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scouti ... almer.html

Please feel free to post your fav prospects!!
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#2 » by BlackMamba » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:40 pm

well, i'm not that familiar with the chargers. this season i saw about 3 complete games and minutes of another 3-4 games.

of that i think the offense is set. maybe another passing game help for rivers, but gates, chambers and now jackson seem to have it all covered, maybe a little depth in case one of them goes down.

on defense i think all spots could need backups, a tough hard hitter would be good to have.

as we all know the chargers seem to be set on most of the team and in each position have excellent players, so i don't know if what the chargers may need is a veteran to help the young ones to grow better and faster.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by CJ_18 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:28 pm

^ So you think that basically the best defensive player available should be taken?

I agree but i definetly think if we could grab a quality DT, we have to do it.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:57 pm

yeah, on defense i'm thinking a DL or a LB should be what the chargers could pursue.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by CJ_18 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:46 am

You said a hard hitter as well.

Theres a junior safety who declared for the draft out of 'the U' (university of Miami Florida)

Not long ago he was said to have top 10 talent. But currently his stock is dropping..he's Kenny Philips.

This guy is another one of those tremendously athletically gifted defensive players out of Miami. Ive read a couple scouting reports on him and the general consensus is that basically, he's an athletic beast who is also a great leader and very smart. Ive read he has great size, strength, speed, and quickness and is also very aggressive. On top of being a good cover safety, supposedly he is also a very big hitter. His coaches at UM have said he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed."

That last part is obviously a bit over-hype but this guy is a very talented Safety.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_dra ... illips.htm

Read more about him there ^

I think with Eric Weddle and Kenny Phillips as our future SS and FS respectively would be add on to an already good secondary.

Kenny did not live up to expectations last season but he is still thought of as a guy with a whole world of potential.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by BlackMamba » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:27 am

nice, kenny philips sounds like a good option, but don't know if he will be available at #27, but yes, i think the secondary could be the main target for the chargers to get better in this draft.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by CJ_18 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 am

BlackMamba wrote:nice, kenny philips sounds like a good option, but don't know if he will be available at #27, but yes, i think the secondary could be the main target for the chargers to get better in this draft.

Kenny was said to easily be a top 10 talent a couple weeks ago, but many people have his stock dropping including realgm's own Iceness.

He said his stock is dropping mainly due to not having a big need in the NFL for safeties. But that's definetly not the case on SD. People have him going all over from mid 1st round to mid 2nd round. I think his stock will go back up after he gets to show his great physical skills at the NFL Combine. If we could get him we would have a great young safety duo in Weddle and Phillips.

Lots of experts have us taking that DT Kentwam Balmer (the guy whos scouting report i posted) so if we could get him or Phillips i would be very happy.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by BlackMamba » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:48 am

well, if his stock is "dropping" i think the chargers have to keep him under their radar. not that he will be a steal, but he would fit perfectly in what san diego needs, or well, almost perfectly.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by CJ_18 » Sun Mar 2, 2008 6:19 pm

Heres a short little strategy/recap to the Chargers off-season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809 ... -Personnel

Basically, we lost:

RB Micheal Turner (FA)
CB Drayton Florence (FA)
S Marlon McCree (Released)
FB Lorenzo Neal (Released)
RT Shane Oliviea (Released)

The only FA we have signed so far is LB Derek Smith.

The Postitions we should be looking for upgrades at through free Agency or the draft are:
DT- possibly a Kentwalm Balmer
CB- possibly another Cromartie in Dominique-Rodgers Cromartie (Antonio's cousin who ran a 4.33 at the Combine)
S- possibly a Kenny Phillips or less-likely Reggie Smith
RB- very doubtful that a RB will be pursued in the 1st rd
OT- possibly a Brandon Albert or Gosder Cherilous or Chris Williams

Scout.com reported that we met with Inside LB Curtis Lofton out of Oklahoma. This guy really impressed at the Combine and is now projected to go somewhere around late 2nd to 3rd. (If we let Lb Marques Harris sign else-where, we would receive a compensation 2nd rd pick)

It also has a report saying that Norv Turner attended the University of Miami Pro-Day this week and "offered high praise" to S Kenny Phillips. I would love to get this guy especially after the release of Marlon McCree.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by BlackMamba » Mon Mar 3, 2008 10:04 pm

was about to post something like this...

but, why was neal released?
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by CJ_18 » Tue Mar 4, 2008 1:00 am

ahah sorry man.

that's what i was wondering too. Ladainian always said Lorenzo was the best lead blocker he could ever have.

I read they tried to trade him but then just released him..probably of age. The guy was coming up on 35 and i can just imagine how much a an effect being a fullback has on your body physically. your job is basically to run into 260 lb men every play.

I read that AJ Smith is shopping our veterans in hopes to get draft picks between rounds 2-4, where we currently have none.

We are projected to receive a 4th rd compensatory pick for the loss of Donnie Edwards.
CJ_18
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by CJ_18 » Fri Mar 7, 2008 1:50 am

Kenny Phillips

Safety | Junior | Miami (FL)

Height: 6-2 1/2 | Weight: 212 | 40-Time: 4.52 | 19 Bench Reps (225 lbs)

Strengths:
Very good size and a solid frame...Excellent athleticism...Great timed speed with a burst to close...Instincts and awareness are outstanding..Fantastic range...Terrific hands and ball skills....Very physical and aggressive...Solid tackler who will deliver the big hit...Does a very nice job in run support..Good leaping ability...He excels in both man and zone coverage..Team leader...Productive...Great program pedigree.(you can say that again)

Weaknesses:

Tends to over-pursue and bite on fakes...Still needs to work on his technique and footwork...Plays too high...Has trouble shedding blocks...Tried to evade contact at times...Has some minor durability concerns...Did not have a great junior campaign.

Notes:
The next in a long line of top Hurricane safeties, following in the footsteps of guys like Bennie Blades, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor and Brandon Meriweather...Was one of the premier recruits in the entire country coming out of high school...Stepped into the starting lineup as a true freshman and has been one of the top safeties in the nation ever since...Marvelous all-around player who has everything you look for in terms of both physical tools and intangibles...Is not in Sean Taylor's league but he could rank amongst the Top 10 safeties in the NFL relatively early on in his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kcFea5fnyg
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by BlackMamba » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:05 pm

some offseason news:

Chargers-Saints in London LINK

Hardwick has surgery LINK

Return to Los Angeles Chargers