ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 14: Buccaneers @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: Week 14: Buccaneers @ 49ers 

Post#241 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:43 pm

zman1 wrote:Matt Maiocco wrote about another niner rookie qb who had a tremendous first game. I was hoping for Montana but it was Nick Mullens. Niners won 34 to 3 and he had 3 td passes. Let's hope Purdy has a better future than that.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Put me in the camp that does not want to draw conclusions about Purdy after just a couple of games. As far as the comparison goes, Mullens had a great game against a crappy Oakland raiders team with a really bad defense. Tampa was a much better defense coming in and put pressure on Purdy
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#242 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:51 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
zman1 wrote:Matt Maiocco wrote about another niner rookie qb who had a tremendous first game. I was hoping for Montana but it was Nick Mullens. Niners won 34 to 3 and he had 3 td passes. Let's hope Purdy has a better future than that.

Mullens' problem was the turnovers. He was remarkably effective as a passer, but he couldn't protect the ball. If he had, he would have had a chance to stick around. Not sold on Brock avoiding that pitfall, but we'll see. He's got a better cast than Mullens ever did.

Mullen's problem was more than that. He had a weak arm and could not make certain throws. His arm was one of the big reasons Mullens went undrafted. His effectiveness also dropped substantially when under any sort of pressure as stats have shown.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#243 » by zman1 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:59 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Mullen's problem was more than that. He had a weak arm and could not make certain throws. His arm was one of the big reasons Mullens went undrafted. His effectiveness also dropped substantially when under any sort of pressure as stats have shown.

Saw another article yesterday about how Purdy worked with a coach after college and increased his throwing speed from 50 to 55 mph which is NFL caliber. While it is clear he doesn't have a cannon a arm, his throwing has not looked particularly weak to me.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#244 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:09 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Mullens' problem was the turnovers. He was remarkably effective as a passer, but he couldn't protect the ball. If he had, he would have had a chance to stick around. Not sold on Brock avoiding that pitfall, but we'll see. He's got a better cast than Mullens ever did.

Sure, I didn't mean to suggest that the ONLY thing holding Mullens back was the turnovers. But I think it was the biggest part of it. Physically, he was fairly similar to Purdy. Small, limited arm, couldn't make all NFL throws especially off-platform. He put up good overall numbers, but he threw 10 INTs over eight games as a rookie and 12 over eight games in his third year, and it sunk him. He also took a lot of sacks (17 in those eight rookie starts, and at least three in five of the final six games; 19 in eight games his third year).

That said, he was incredibly in his first game. He was a little shakier in his second game, but put the team up three with 2:50 left and the D allowed a TD. He then drove the team from our 25 to the Giants' 21 with 53 seconds left and one TO before attempting a desperation toss into the endzone. So he was looking like he might be somebody at that point.

Mullens is probably a good cautionary tale for Purdy at this stage. It could go in a lot of different ways, especially as teams get film on Brock. Let's hope it goes in a positive direction.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#245 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:10 pm

zman1 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Saw another article yesterday about how Purdy worked with a coach after college and increased his throwing speed from 50 to 55 mph which is NFL caliber. While it is clear he doesn't have a cannon a arm, his throwing has not looked particularly weak to me.

When he can set himself up, he's got enough arm to play in the league. The problem will most likely arise when he's throwing off platform or under pressure. The TD pass to Aiyuk is a good example. Aiyuk was wide open, so it was a TD, but the throw was well short and really hung up there. If the defender had been a half-step closer when he threw it, it likely would have been a PD or even an INT.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#246 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:02 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Sure, I didn't mean to suggest that the ONLY thing holding Mullens back was the turnovers. But I think it was the biggest part of it. Physically, he was fairly similar to Purdy. Small, limited arm, couldn't make all NFL throws especially off-platform. He put up good overall numbers, but he threw 10 INTs over eight games as a rookie and 12 over eight games in his third year, and it sunk him. He also took a lot of sacks (17 in those eight rookie starts, and at least three in five of the final six games; 19 in eight games his third year).

That said, he was incredibly in his first game. He was a little shakier in his second game, but put the team up three with 2:50 left and the D allowed a TD. He then drove the team from our 25 to the Giants' 21 with 53 seconds left and one TO before attempting a desperation toss into the endzone. So he was looking like he might be somebody at that point.

Mullens is probably a good cautionary tale for Purdy at this stage. It could go in a lot of different ways, especially as teams get film on Brock. Let's hope it goes in a positive direction.

I agree with your overall premise. Too early to draw conclusions about Purdy's NFL career. Two games is not enough. I want to see where he is after all the season's games have been played. If you look at Mullen's QB numbers with and without pressure. There is a large drop when under pressure. He simply does not perform under pressure. I am guessing his turnover numbers might be a reflection of that. I don't have anything to go on other than the eye test but it appears Purdy has a stronger arm than Mullens.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#247 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:06 pm

Add to that, as usual there is a contingent of fans that want to anoint Purdy as the guy after a couple of games. This happens all the time when a backup comes in and plays well. I can remember there were fans wanting to make Blaine Gabbert the franchise QB after a couple of decent outings in 2015. On KNBR caller even tried to make some Joe Montana/Blaine Gabbert comparisons. That one almost made me lose my lunch.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#248 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:46 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:Add to that, as usual there is a contingent of fans that want to anoint Purdy as the guy after a couple of games. This happens all the time when a backup comes in and plays well. I can remember there were fans wanting to make Blaine Gabbert the franchise QB after a couple of decent outings in 2015. On KNBR caller even tried to make some Joe Montana/Blaine Gabbert comparisons. That one almost made me lose my lunch.

Yeah, and Gabbert is a good counterpoint for Purdy, maybe. All the physical tools, but he just never had "it." Purdy seems like he might. I'm not saying franchise QB, but a guy who can stick in the league despite a lack of physical tools. Even if he flames out as the starter, he already looks like he could have a nice long career as a backup.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#249 » by zman1 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:09 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
zman1 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

When he can set himself up, he's got enough arm to play in the league. The problem will most likely arise when he's throwing off platform or under pressure. The TD pass to Aiyuk is a good example. Aiyuk was wide open, so it was a TD, but the throw was well short and really hung up there. If the defender had been a half-step closer when he threw it, it likely would have been a PD or even an INT.
Yeah, that throw was short but maybe just a miscalculation. He showed Thursday he can get it out there that far.

Return to San Francisco 49ers