ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 Off-Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#361 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:37 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Unfortunately it appears the Armistead/Niners break up was anything but amicable. EA says he felt ‘extremely disrespected’ by the Niners one year 9 mill offer. So much for the blueprint, I guess.

Yeah, it's a hard situation. Armstead is a great dude who has been a very good player for this team for many years. But he's been battling injuries and with all the restructures, he's just too expensive for what he brings. You don't get to the NFL without being proud, generally, and it's hard to swallow a dramatic pay cut. At the same time, a team has to view what you bring now, not your historical contributions. Failing to do that has gotten more than one team in trouble. But at the end of the day, I'm more worried about recouping cap space than Armstead's feelings, as **** as that may be to say. The $13 million/year from Jacksonville should help those.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,524

Post#362 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:17 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Unfortunately it appears the Armistead/Niners break up was anything but amicable. EA says he felt ‘extremely disrespected’ by the Niners one year 9 mill offer. So much for the blueprint, I guess.

Yeah, it's a hard situation. Armstead is a great dude who has been a very good player for this team for many years. But he's been battling injuries and with all the restructures, he's just too expensive for what he brings. You don't get to the NFL without being proud, generally, and it's hard to swallow a dramatic pay cut. At the same time, a team has to view what you bring now, not your historical contributions. Failing to do that has gotten more than one team in trouble. But at the end of the day, I'm more worried about recouping cap space than Armstead's feelings, as **** as that may be to say. The $13 million/year from Jacksonville should help those.

Yeah, I agree it was probably unavoidable, this year or next. Just such a shame, and I do worry also about his feelings in a selfish way, I worry this could be divisive in the locker room. Not only beloved, but cited for years as the Niners archetype, it would be odd if this didn’t hit some players hard and slightly recast the organization in their minds.

As Walsh said, better two years too early than one too late, but our chemistry has been a major strength and this might threaten that. I know they’re all pros, but they are people too. I had really hoped their relationship (Armstead/Niners) would ensure at least a respectful parting, but maybe that was unrealistic.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#363 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:04 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Yeah, I agree it was probably unavoidable, this year or next. Just such a shame, and I do worry also about his feelings in a selfish way, I worry this could be divisive in the locker room. Not only beloved, but cited for years as the Niners archetype, it would be odd if this didn’t hit some players hard and slightly recast the organization in their minds.

As Walsh said, better two years too early than one too late, but our chemistry has been a major strength and this might threaten that. I know they’re all pros, but they are people too. I had really hoped their relationship (Armstead/Niners) would ensure at least a respectful parting, but maybe that was unrealistic.

Yeah, but the guys get that it's a business. And we have lots of leaders in the locker room. Not to mention that most of the DL room is gone at this point. If this is what undoes the team this year, we've got bigger issues....
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,267

Post#364 » by wco81 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 pm

Armstead saw the 49ers ship out Buckner and then pay Bosa and Hargrove.

So he's probably figuring he can get more from another team.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#365 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:31 am

Armstead is an upstanding guy but I've noticed he does whine from time to time.

It's business, it's nothing personal, and they aren't trying to disrespect you but trying to maximize the resources they have to work with to the very cent.

That's not being pro team as I have no issue with players themselves wanting to squeeze every dollar of their worth in their own contracts but I just roll my eyes when these players make it out to be disrespect or a personal slight.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#366 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:53 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Wrestled with whether to post this in this thread or the Shanahan thread. Figured it touches on enough bigger team stuff that it should go here.

No surprise to anyone who has followed the team, but Shanahan is extremely rigid and set in his ways. I think that's got to change and he has to show more flexibility on the offensive side of the ball. I have touched on this in other posts/threads, but one big place where this has to change - assuming we have designs on going forward with Purdy - is his inflexibility pre-snap. At least this past season, it sure seemed the Purdy could not adjust the play at the snap.

I know Shanahan would say that every play has a solution built into it, and it's the job of the players and the QB especially to get to that, but that can't be the end of it. If Purdy could have audibled into a run on the 3rd and 5 coming out of halftime, I'm almost certain we pick it up and win the game. Even if he or Kittle ran it (because they inexplicably had Kittle in the backfield instead of McCaffrey on the biggest play of the season). The Chiefs had two defenders - both LBs - inside the tackles and within ten yards of the LOS. You simply have to run the ball in that situation, especially against a blitz-happy, sticky man-coverage team.

If Shanahan is not willing to give Purdy that flexibility, then you are limiting the benefit Purdy brings as a cerebral player who sees the field well, has great feeling and anticipation, and should be able to become a coach on the field if he continues his trajectory to date. Take that away from him, and he almost certainly can't match the top tier of athletic QB. The hope is that, as Purdy gets more experience, Shanahan trusts him more with that. I'm not certain whether Matt Ryan was allowed to audible or not. May have to go back to some film. But Shanahan has not shown that openness with the Niners (not shocking with Jimmy G. at QB).

I think the use of Aiyuk factors into this inflexibility. I will start off by saying that I have not reviewed the film to confirm this - nor do I really intend to - but Aiyuk has perhaps fairly received some criticism for not stepping up when Deebo has been hurt. However, unlike many of the top WRs in the league who are used in a variety of ways to make them hard to defend, we basically only ever use Aiyuk in one role. He is the X receiver, he lines up split out on the LOS. And that's what he always is.

Teams like Dallas use Ceedee Lamb in a variety of ways. They line him up in the slot (a lot) to give him more room to maneuver. They motion him. They move him around the formation to get favorable matchups. We don't ever seem to do that with Aiyuk. And look, Aiyuk is excellent at the X position. That's why he had the incredibly efficient season he had. But when Deebo isn't out there, the Aiyuk usage is too predictable and other teams can take him away. Aiyuk runs excellent routes and is very good against both man and zone. He's an ideal X. But he's not limited to that.

Coming out of college, Aiyuk was known as a YAK player. He can do a lot more of that if we give him opportunities. I'm not saying he can ever be prime Deebo after the catch, but he can be very good if we give him more of the screens and short crossers that Deebo feasts on. His primary usage should still be the deep crossers and occasional gos and fades, but don't limit him to that. To be fair, I think a lot of the reason why we do that is because Deebo can't survive as the X, and needs the free release and some of the gimmicky stuff to really produce at the highest level. But we shouldn't limit Aiyuk because Deebo is limited. Especially when Deebo goes out of games.

I'd really like to add a receiver who is similar to Aiyuk in terms of versatility in the draft (this draft is CRAZY deep at receiver) so we have two starters who can threaten from multiple receiver spots. I know our offense is somewhat complex, but these guys need to be able to play more than one position. There is a parallel in our Aiyuk usage to what Kingsbury did to DeAndre Hopkins. He just lined him up at the same spot every play, and teams could very easily gameplan to shut down Hopkins. That worked well, because Hopkins was the #1 option by a mile. Aiyuk isn't. But if we're going to sign him to the big-money contract he deserves, we need to start treating him more like one and help him perform when there aren't as many threats on the field to draw the defense's eyes. And as with the limits to date on Purdy, if we're not using Aiyuk as creatively as we are Deebo, then he won't be worth the contract he's going to get.

Anyway, long rant, but it's an area where we we need to see growth from Kyle if we want to start having success with fewer blue chip players.

The biggest issue with Kyle IMO is he struggles with the fact he has imperfect players running his perfect scheme.

What I mean is he likely has the perfect play call more often than we think but it has so many moving parts that require perfect execution that one slip-up and the play becomes dead in the water.

That's why I've been pounding on the table for them to upgrade the offensive line because I feel it's more of an issue with the offensive line not being able to execute than Kyle's playcalling.

Kyle's offense completely falls apart when it goes against defensive lines that can physically dominate the trenches and a back end with no glaring weaknesses. The offensive hinges heavily on confusing the defense and when the defense can just flat-out ignore the smoke and mirrors and just physically dominate the offense becomes helpless to do anything.

Opposing defenses just focus on stuffing the run and when we try to pass to get them off run defense their back end can hold out long enough for their defensive line to get pressure and not give Purdy the time he needs to wait for someone to get themselves open.

Kyle just has too much faith in the scheme and system to overcome the weaknesses of the offensive line it bites us at the worst possible time because while the scheme works against probably 95% of the defenses in the league that 5% you will see in the playoffs eventually costs us dearly.

So while I do agree Kyle needs to loosen up and give Purdy some more freedom I ultimately don't think it matters if we don't have the offensive line that can hold up and start to impose it's will on defenses more.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#367 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:27 pm

Jikkle wrote:

Armstead is an upstanding guy but I've noticed he does whine from time to time.

It's business, it's nothing personal, and they aren't trying to disrespect you but trying to maximize the resources they have to work with to the very cent.

That's not being pro team as I have no issue with players themselves wanting to squeeze every dollar of their worth in their own contracts but I just roll my eyes when these players make it out to be disrespect or a personal slight.

For sure. I never blame players for wanting to get every dime they can get while they are in their prime because teams won't necessary stick by a contract when it no longer makes sense to. When the 49ers restructured Armstrong (Twice?) kicking salary down the road the writing was on the wall when it would come to this. Armstead when healthy is a good player. He can stop the run inside and provide some interior pass rush pressure but he isn't worth what the 49ers were on the hook to pay him and with the 49ers up against the cap and having to make roster choices this was inevitable.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#368 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:56 pm

Niners signed Rock Ya-Sin to a one-year deal. Interesting move. He's five years removed from being the 34th pick in the draft, and he fits the profile of what we like in a CB. He was a backup in Baltimore last year, but played over 24% of defensive snaps. Decent PFF grade. Should be an upgrade over Ambry, at least, and he could step in as our third CB.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,447

Post#369 » by Big J » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:24 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=dt-3BGo7zmnJPmZPCxWbow[/x]

Interesting
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#370 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:11 pm

Big J wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter

Interesting

Hahaha. For a guy who is so big on physical tools, seems pretty dubious to be pushing a guy who will be 47 this season and was always physically limited.

Obviously Brady's ability dramatically surpassed his physical tools, but unless we really beef up our interior OL, I'd have serious concerns about his effectiveness for us. He put up good overall numbers in his final season, but once you start to really examine them, the metrics aren't very good and the numbers were largely the product of the sheer volume of pass attempts (733 pass attempts, the most ever by an NFL QB). Though we could support him with the run game in a way that TB did not.

Look, if we're in the playoffs and Purdy goes down, sure, anything is on the table. But that would be a real desperation move.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,839

Post#371 » by SK21209 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Niners signed Rock Ya-Sin to a one-year deal. Interesting move. He's five years removed from being the 34th pick in the draft, and he fits the profile of what we like in a CB. He was a backup in Baltimore last year, but played over 24% of defensive snaps. Decent PFF grade. Should be an upgrade over Ambry, at least, and he could step in as our third CB.

Yup, we now have Yiadom, Ya-Sin and Luter Jr. all as nickel CB options potentially better than what Ambry gave us last year. I think its now doubtful we go corner in the first two rounds unless someone like DeJean falls, but we've done a pretty good job of filling wholes with at least playable guys so we can go BPA in the draft.
Big J
General Manager

Post#372 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:35 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting

Hahaha. For a guy who is so big on physical tools, seems pretty dubious to be pushing a guy who will be 47 this season and was always physically limited.

Obviously Brady's ability dramatically surpassed his physical tools, but unless we really beef up our interior OL, I'd have serious concerns about his effectiveness for us. He put up good overall numbers in his final season, but once you start to really examine them, the metrics aren't very good and the numbers were largely the product of the sheer volume of pass attempts (733 pass attempts, the most ever by an NFL QB). Though we could support him with the run game in a way that TB did not.

Look, if we're in the playoffs and Purdy goes down, sure, anything is on the table. But that would be a real desperation move.

Kyle's been trying to get Brady for years. Brady does have a very important physical tool that Purdy lacks: height. He can see over the line. Just think it'd be a good option to keep open because this coming season is Purdy's last on his rookie deal. This teams title odds are shot if he's paid like a top 5 QB.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#373 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:36 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting

Watching Brady play his last season, he didn't look good and he is older at an age where his physical skills rapidly decline. Is Brady going to come for the league minimum? Otherwise the 49ers has to waste cap space on player well past his prime. The Brady to SF ship sailed a long time ago. But leave it to the OP to post this stupidity
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#374 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:38 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting

Kyle's been trying to get Brady for years. Brady does have a very important physical tool that Purdy lacks: height. He can see over the line. Just think it'd be a good option to keep open because this coming season is Purdy's last on his rookie deal. This teams title odds are shot if he's paid like a top 5 QB.

In what ways has Purdy's height affected his play? He sees the field very well. Maybe his passes get deflected at a slightly elevated rate, but not noticeably so.

As said, Brady to steer a talented team through the playoffs in a desperation situation? Sure. To be the QB? No way. In terms of Purdy's salary, we'll see what happens this season, but if it's anything like last season, he's going to get top dollar. And he will absolutely deserve it.
Big J
General Manager

Post#375 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:29 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting

Watching Brady play his last season, he didn't look good and he is older at an age where his physical skills rapidly decline. Is Brady going to come for the league minimum? Otherwise the 49ers has to waste cap space on player well past his prime. The Brady to SF ship sailed a long time ago. But leave it to the OP to post this stupidity

Hey man, I'm not the one who suggested he goes to the Niners. Just shows what the public opinion on Purdy is.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#376 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:46 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Hey man, I'm not the one who suggested he goes to the Niners. Just shows what the public opinion on Purdy is.

LOL, that is click bait made to generate clicks. Nothing would have been posted had Brady not made the comment. As far as public opinion goes, Purdy is supported by the vast majority of 49er fans. You are part of the small lunatic fringe.
Big J
General Manager

Post#377 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:12 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

LOL, that is click bait made to generate clicks. Nothing would have been posted had Brady not made the comment. As far as public opinion goes, Purdy is supported by the vast majority of 49er fans. You are part of the small lunatic fringe.

A lot of unbiased non 49ers fans are very vocal critics of Purdy. I’m a Niners fan, but I also understand that fanbases can have biases.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#378 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:49 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

A lot of unbiased non 49ers fans are very vocal critics of Purdy. I’m a Niners fan, but I also understand that fanbases can have biases.

A lot. Like 5% LOL. And they are the most biased.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#379 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:58 pm

A lot of casual 49er fans (or any NFL fans) think that playing QB is mostly about your physical gifts. It's not. It's at least as much about what goes on above the shoulders as below it. Sure, having baseline physical tools is necessary to excel in the NFL, as is having baseline mental capabilities. But a guy who meets the baseline but is superior in either area can be special.

This reminds me of Amy Trask commenting on Brock Purdy being worse than any of the other playoff QBs. Well, we're through those playoffs, and that comment looks laughable. With his defense effectively collapsing at times, Purdy outplayed Love and Goff. Hell, there's a strong argument he outplayed Mahomes, and he certainly did so for four quarters.

Goff is a great point of comparison. He's a guy with superior physical skills, at least in terms of arm talent, but he simply can't play under pressure. Purdy can. As a result, there's very little doubt that Purdy is the better player. Love collapsed down the stretch in that game and made mental mistake after mental mistake. Obviously the very best players combine the mental and physical aspect, but it's not a coincidence that a substantial number of the best ever (Brady, Montana, Manning, Brees) were relatively more talented mentally than physically.
Big J
General Manager

Post#380 » by Big J » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:59 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:[/b]

A lot. Like 5% LOL. And they are the most biased.

Did you watch any of the debate shows last year? Whenever he was brought up it was like 50-50.

Return to San Francisco 49ers