3 (94). Jared Wiley, TE, TCU
4 (124). Christian Jones, OT, Texas
4 (132). Zak Zinter, G, Michigan
4 (135). Luke McCaffery, WR, Rice
5 (176). Jordan Magee, LB, Temple
6 (211). Blake Watson, RB, Memphis
6 (215). Khalid Duke, Edge, Kansas State
7 (251). Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee

I could live with this draft. Newton would be a very solid first-round pick. Of the available options at that point, he would be my guy (Adonai Mitchell probably second; no OL left worth the pick unless we went with project Suamataia).

I'd prefer Phillips in the third to the second, but there's a good chance he doesn't fall to 94 and he's a good fit for what we need/want.

He has us taking Jared Wiley in the 3rd over Ben Sinnott and Cade Stover, which is a departure from most rankings I've seen and higher than I'd like for a guy like Wiley. Wiley is interesting, as a huge TE with upside, but he doesn't have very good change-of-direction. I'd be tempted to go with another position there, though those other two TEs go before pick 124.

If we haven't addressed the OL earlier, Jones and Zinter seem like solid later-round picks. I like Jones as a later-round guy who could at least challenge McKivitz and maybe slide into LT at some point. I'm not sure Zinter is a great fit for our scheme. He's a good value at that pick, but I don't know that he's mobile enough to do the pulling our system calls for.

Fine with McCaffrey there. He's pretty interesting as a guy with really good measurables and pedigree who just hasn't played the position very long. Well worth the pick there to see what we can unlock, especially training next to big bro.

I have absolutely no feelings about the other four guys on first sight. I thought I was pretty up on this draft class, but I don't even really recognize those names. Briefly reading up, Watson is almost 25, but he's fast and has over 100 college receptions, so not a bad late-round fit. Duke is an undersized speed rusher, but that's kind of what's left at this point. I would be pretty surprised if we wait this late to draft a DE, but we did add some guys in FA.

These mocks are mostly meaningless as no one knows what the 49ers will do in the first round, let alone every round. Basically it is all of us playing Fantasy Football. That being said, another DL in the first round? Might as well start handing out 49er hats to all the projected DL in the first round of the draft as that seems like the only position the team takes in the first round.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 955

Re: 2024 Off-Season 

Post#402 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:34 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Niners' picks from Dane Brugler's seven-round mock:

San Francisco 49ers
1 (31). Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
2 (63). Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky

I could live with this draft. Newton would be a very solid first-round pick. Of the available options at that point, he would be my guy (Adonai Mitchell probably second; no OL left worth the pick unless we went with project Suamataia).

I'd prefer Phillips in the third to the second, but there's a good chance he doesn't fall to 94 and he's a good fit for what we need/want.

He has us taking Jared Wiley in the 3rd over Ben Sinnott and Cade Stover, which is a departure from most rankings I've seen and higher than I'd like for a guy like Wiley. Wiley is interesting, as a huge TE with upside, but he doesn't have very good change-of-direction. I'd be tempted to go with another position there, though those other two TEs go before pick 124.

If we haven't addressed the OL earlier, Jones and Zinter seem like solid later-round picks. I like Jones as a later-round guy who could at least challenge McKivitz and maybe slide into LT at some point. I'm not sure Zinter is a great fit for our scheme. He's a good value at that pick, but I don't know that he's mobile enough to do the pulling our system calls for.

Fine with McCaffrey there. He's pretty interesting as a guy with really good measurables and pedigree who just hasn't played the position very long. Well worth the pick there to see what we can unlock, especially training next to big bro.

I have absolutely no feelings about the other four guys on first sight. I thought I was pretty up on this draft class, but I don't even really recognize those names. Briefly reading up, Watson is almost 25, but he's fast and has over 100 college receptions, so not a bad late-round fit. Duke is an undersized speed rusher, but that's kind of what's left at this point. I would be pretty surprised if we wait this late to draft a DE, but we did add some guys in FA.

These mocks are mostly meaningless as no one knows what the 49ers will do in the first round, let alone every round. Basically it is all of us playing Fantasy Football. That being said, another DL in the first round? Might as well start handing out 49er hats to all the projected DL in the first round of the draft as that seems like the only position the team takes in the first round.

I get it, but DT and DE are still - somewhat amazingly - areas where we're pretty thin. I think there's a good chance we go DL in the first round, and a very good chance we take one or more in the first three rounds.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,276

Post#403 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:09 am

I guess drafting a DL is a way to try to get off Hargrave's contract in a year or two.

BTW, Jets are paying Kinlaw almost $7 million for his 1-year prove it deal.

Javon Kinlaw's contract with the NY Jets is a major overpay

Ari Meirov of The 33rd Team reported on Tuesday that Kinlaw's deal is worth $7.25 million with $6.9 million in guarantees. That's a large chunk of money to give to a player with just 3.5 sacks over the last three seasons.

For reference, the Jets signed Jefferson, a well-traveled veteran with a knack for rushing the passer, to a one-year, $3.6 million contract 12 months ago. The Jets paid double that to acquire Kinlaw, who by all accounts is a downgrade in the short term.

This isn't to say that the signing was a poor decision in a vacuum. In fact, I quite liked the move before the contract details emerged.
A former first-round pick, Kinlaw was brought in to be DeForest Buckner's direct replacement after the Pro Bowl defensive tackle was traded to the Indianapolis Colts. Unfortunately, Kinlaw fell well short of expectations in his four seasons with the 49ers.

Injuries derailed his development, as Kinlaw appeared in just 10 total games between 2021 and 2022 due to multiple knee injuries. He returned healthy in 2023, appearing in all 17 games and putting together the best season of his career.

Kinlaw remains a very poor run defender, but his pass-rush metric improved quite a bit in 2023. He finished with a career-high 3.5 sacks and 31 pressures on 322 pass-rush snaps. Those are solid numbers for a rotational interior rusher.

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-free-agency-overpay-downgrade-javon-kinlaw-signing

Another high draft pick who was a bust for the 49ers.

BTW, Solomon Thomas had been playing for the Jets but he's a free agent.

Aiyuk and Jennings were the only players worth anything from the 2020 draft in which the 49ers took Kinlaw at #14. Well Woerner got some snaps and McKivitz is still on the team.

If they blow another 1st round pick ...
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#404 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Niners' picks from Dane Brugler's seven-round mock:

San Francisco 49ers
1 (31). Jer’Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois
2 (63). Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky

I get it, but DT and DE are still - somewhat amazingly - areas where we're pretty thin. I think there's a good chance we go DL in the first round, and a very good chance we take one or more in the first three rounds.

I wouldn't hate a DT or DE because the defensive line is probably the only position group where having talent is usually never an issue but I'm still going to pound the table for OT even if it takes a trade-up to get one.

Until this team gets even a slightly above-average offensive line it's going to continue to fall short and lose in exactly the same way every time. And if they shovel out the same offensive line as last season I'll continue to be a fan and root for them but I'll never have any hope they'll win it all.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#405 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:16 am

This current roster's window is this upcoming season and 25. 2026 most of the roster's stars aren't likely going to be on the team or on the downslope of their careers. I mean we're probably looking at just Purdy and Aiyuk if he resigns on offense and Bosa and Warner on defense after 2025.

2026 is shaping up to be a year like the Rams had this past year and that's getting the cap cleared of dead money and using all your draft picks to get younger and setting yourself up for another run.

This might be the most important draft class for the current regime because not only do you need it to contribute to the current SB window you need hits if you want to make 2026 as seamless as a transition as possible.

They really can't get too cute with picks and waste them on luxury picks like kickers and RBs or guys that have been busts.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#406 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:30 pm

This roster definitely has a shelf life. There has been a lot of kicking the can down the road in terms of the financial situation of the team, and it seems like that bill is going to come due in the near future. They can't have another draft like last year where they use two top-100 picks on a backup TE who is a fringe roster player (if that) and a kicker. We need to address significant positions, including OT (x2?), C, OG, WR, backup TE (who is a decent player), DE, DT, possibly LB, CB, and maybe even safety. And we need to hit on some of those picks....
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,276

Post#407 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:51 am

Kyle keeps blowing the big games, not like to change before they have to turn the roster over.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#408 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Oh, look at this. The Eagles are starting a 34-year-old OT and have limited depth, so they went out and signed Mekhi Becton to a one-year deal. Huh. Crazy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40046288/mekhi-becton-plans-join-eagles-one-year-deal-agents-say
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#409 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:23 pm

Oh, look at this. The Eagles are starting a 34-year-old OT and have limited depth, so they went out and signed Mekhi Becton to a one-year deal. Huh. Crazy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40046288/mekhi-becton-plans-join-eagles-one-year-deal-agents-say
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#410 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:53 am

Niners reportedly "keeping in touch " with Jamal Adams. Hufanga is expected to be available come training camp. Brown would be the other safety. Plus we have Odum and now the rookie Mustapha. We don't need Adams.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#411 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 am

Zero interest in Jamal Adams. He's a liability. I would expect Kyle of all people to see that....
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#412 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:08 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Zero interest in Jamal Adams. He's a liability. I would expect Kyle of all people to see that....

An overrated one dimensional safety. Our safety room is well stacked now. RT on the other hand....can't run to that side, Mckivitz not to mention also gave up 13 sacks last year. Hoping and praying that Puni can line up at RT.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#413 » by arich35 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:35 am

I know we didn't really upgrade the OL but it is hard to imagine our offense has a chance to be even better next year
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#414 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:16 pm

arich35 wrote:I know we didn't really upgrade the OL but it is hard to imagine our offense has a chance to be even better next year

We took Puni in the third. I sure hope he at least competes for a starting spot. Some folks have floated the idea of starting him at RG and moving Feliciano to C. If view that as an upgrade over Brendel, and possibly an upgrade of two spots.

But nothing at OT, where we have a below average RT and an old LT. Moore didn't instill much faith as a backup, much less a long term answer. Just can't believe we haven't even looked at a late-round guy to try to develop. If Trent goes down for more than a game or two, we are totally F-ed.

Reminder that we arguably lost the championship game to the Rams because Trent was trying to play through a bad ankle sprain and we didn't have a viable backup. Good that we learned our lesson then....
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#415 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:58 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:I know we didn't really upgrade the OL but it is hard to imagine our offense has a chance to be even better next year

We took Puni in the third. I sure hope he at least competes for a starting spot. Some folks have floated the idea of starting him at RG and moving Feliciano to C. If view that as an upgrade over Brendel, and possibly an upgrade of two spots.

But nothing at OT, where we have a below average RT and an old LT. Moore didn't instill much faith as a backup, much less a long term answer. Just can't believe we haven't even looked at a late-round guy to try to develop. If Trent goes down for more than a game or two, we are totally F-ed.

Reminder that we arguably lost the championship game to the Rams because Trent was trying to play through a bad ankle sprain and we didn't have a viable backup. Good that we learned our lesson then....

Couldn't agree more. Shanahan was asked about the tackle position in the draft this year and his answer was the same, that they didn't think the OTs available were any better than what they have now. McKivitz, Moore, and the other one makes a low bar to meet. Having really good position players on offense isn't going to help alot of the line has trouble pass blocking. One of the reasons the 49ers lost the super bowl,
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#416 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 pm

Not Niners news per se, but Jacksonville released WR Zay Jones. Interesting for the Niners as there were rumors before the draft that the Niners had spoken to the Jags before the draft about an Aiyuk trade, and wanted their first rounder and Jones. Our WR room is pretty crowded at this point, but if he doesn't get much of a contract elsewhere, I wouldn't be shocked if we kicked the tires.

Return to San Francisco 49ers