2024 NFL Draft prospects

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Re: 2024 NFL Draft prospects 

Post#61 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:49 am

Wondering is they were thinking Worthy and scrambled.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#62 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:52 am

Bald Bull wrote:I'm trying to be positive despite my disappointment in the surprise pick, one thing i noticed is Pearsall's QB is trash and Pearsall constantly bails him out with nice adjustments to poorly placed balls. His QB threw a lot of off target hospital balls, but with a better QB and kyle scheming I can see him making improvements. Good blocker and skilled route runner, i get why kyle likes him, i hope he makes me forget my shock of taking a WR over the available CBs

This I agree with, a lot of his catches are major adjustments. He’s a guy I could maybe see going in the first in a weak WR draft, but in this one? And with higher ranked players at areas of greater need? I don’t know he’s a for sure slot, but I think there’s a pretty decent chance that’s his limitation. As mentioned I had thought that separation was a major issue and then Bucky et al said he was as good as anyone in the draft in that areas, so I’m kinda scratching my head. But I don’t remember any credible mocks that had him going anywhere near the first.

Edit: to try and be a little more balanced, I think he’s a pretty good fit and matches well with Brock, in that his routes (when not bumped off) are pretty precise and so much of Brock’s game is anticipation.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,866

Post#63 » by SK21209 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 am

If we get at least one season of Deebo, Aiyuk and Pearsall together, I think I like it. Pearsall is athletic, tough, and adds yet another dimension to the offense. Love Jennings, but he's not the most dynamic guy and also probably won't be on the team after this year.

But if the idea is Persall replaces one of Deebo or Aiyuk day 1, not so much. Still like Pearsall, but I don't see any universe where the offense isn't significantly worse in that scenario and we're (allegedly) still all-in on a Super Bowl. Ultimately I would rather have taken DeJean or Newton, but I'm okay with Pearsall.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#64 » by arich35 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:20 am

SK21209 wrote:If we get at least one season of Deebo, Aiyuk and Pearsall together, I think I like it. Pearsall is athletic, tough, and adds yet another dimension to the offense. Love Jennings, but he's not the most dynamic guy and also probably won't be on the team after this year.

But if the idea is Persall replaces one of Deebo or Aiyuk day 1, not so much. Still like Pearsall, but I don't see any universe where the offense isn't significantly worse in that scenario and we're (allegedly) still all-in on a Super Bowl. Ultimately I would rather have taken DeJean or Newton, but I'm okay with Pearsall.

If I had to guess the thinking, they sign Aiyuk to an extension, trade Deebo next off-season for a pick, now you have Aiyuk & Pearsall for 4 years. Or you extend Aiyuk, Jennings is gone after next year and you keep Deebo for 2 years and then he is gone. It gives the front office a ton of different options especially if Aiyuk doesn't come to an agreement on an extension.

Considering who was left I don't really hate the pick, they clearly graded Pearsall ahead of the other WRs left and it gives him a year to study and grow which we know Kyle loves, it typically takes rookies a year to really grasp the system and how Kyle wants things, we saw it with Aiyuk his first year and even some of his 2nd year
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,216

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:02 am

Harry Palmer wrote:Wondering is they were thinking Worthy and scrambled.

Pearsall is a way better fit for this offense and Brock than Worthy
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#66 » by Jikkle » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:08 am

A few big boards I looked at had him in the 40s range so at 31 it's not some egregious reach or anything.

The one thing I hate about the draft is people get way too caught up in "value" and tend to freak out because one guy went like 14 spots ahead of where some guy on a website told them he should've gone. Don't get me wrong it's not that trying to maximize value isn't important but I just think people go overboard with it.

As far as the pick goes it does feel a little rich for what Pearsall will bring to the table however we need to keep in mind that Pearsall excels in the middle of the field and Purdy excels throwing down the middle and Kyle loves to scheme throws down the middle so Pearsall's value is higher in this specific offense compared to others.

So I suspect we'll be seeing a ton of Purdy to Pearsall 3rd down conversions this upcoming season.

The elephant in the room for me is still the OL. I'm not going to rake them over the coals for not taking one at 31 as it was slim pickings for guys worth that investment at that point but I do wish they would've aggressively traded up.

But we still have the 2nd and 3rd round picks and those still picks you can still find upgrades to what we currently have.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,230

Post#67 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 am

thesack12 wrote:At the moment in my current state of mind, the best thing I can say about the Pearsall pick, is at least they didn't trade up to get him.

After sleeping on it, I've evolved a bit on the pick.

I now have 3 + things to say about the pick:

1) As mentioned previously, at least they didn't trade up to get him
2) At least they didn't go DL in the 1st round again
3) This pick likely means that we won't have to suffer watching Trent Taylor on return duty. Trent probably doesn't even make the team now
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 957

Post#68 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:25 pm

A few thoughts with a little time removed from the pick.

First, as said yesterday, unless we went Powers-Johnson, OL wasn't really an option. We could have gone with Suamataia, but he may not be ready to start at any position, while Pearsall is primed to make at least some impact on day one. This is a good draft for centers, so maybe Zach Frasier is there at 63, or we take Sedrick Van Pran, Tannor Bortolini, or Beaux Limmer on day three.

Second, if we were going to reach a bit relative to some other players on the board, I like prioritizing building around Purdy. This allows us to trade Aiyuk or Samuel, but it also presents the possibility of trotting out an awfully nasty three- or even four-WR set next year. If Purdy is the guy, we need to do more of that and improve the drop-back game (though also need to strengthen the OL for that). Also, Pearsall is a guy who can contribute with the new kickoff rules.

Third, for all the talk of value, this draft has a very deep late-first, early-second group. There are a lot of similarly graded players who will be all over the board depending on the team. So sure, AD Mitchell may have more true #1 WR upside, but he also has a much higher likelihood of busting or at least disappointing. Ladd McConkey is a very similar profile to Pearsall, and lots of people had him going in this range, but he's smaller and has injury history. I can't blame them for liking Pearsall more. I certainly haven't studied the film enough to argue. There's a stronger argument for going with Newton, DeJean, or McKinstry, but this FO doesn't take corners high. I might have gone Newton, but he's also got some question marks given his smaller size and limited change of direction.

Interestingly (hilariously?), when asked for a comp, Kyle Shanahan gave...himself. But faster and more explosive. Kyle thinks pretty highly of himself as a receiver (and a coach, and a GM, and a DC, and a...), though he would probably acknowledge some physical limitations, so hopefully Pearsall lives up to that. A good pro comp is a more explosive Adam Thielen. Thielen may never have been a true #1, but there were several years where he was probably the best #2 in the league. At 31, that's not a bad pick at all. And he should be a great fit for our offense.

Anyway, as opposed to our last two third-rounders last year, I'm not irate. In a perfect world, we would have moved back a few spots or moved up from 63 to land him, but if you really like a guy, you don't worry about the pundits' boards. Aiyuk was 35 on the consensus board in 2021 (and Gross-Matos was 27, now that I'm looking at it).
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#69 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:26 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:No one even mocked him going in the 1st round. They have needs at CB, OL, could even argue at LB, and they go WR because they lost McCloud?

Well, the 49ers were at the end of the first round so not a huge stretch. But your point is well taken. After all the first round OLs were gone and reading Crims comments about the remaining lineman not being first round worthy. I can see not taking a OT in the first round, but they still could have gone CB
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#70 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:36 pm

Not sure if it moves the needle, but CJ Stroud was upset he won't be there for the Texans.

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1783732070008983785%7Ctwgr%5E94a9408e5ebe9c4085c97c0aff81a0096776652a%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fninerswire.usatoday.com%2F2024%2F04%2F26%2F49ers-pick-nfl-draft-ricky-pearsall-cj-stroud-reaction%2F
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#71 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:A few thoughts with a little time removed from the pick.

First, as said yesterday, unless we went Powers-Johnson, OL wasn't really an option. We could have gone with Suamataia, but he may not be ready to start at any position, while Pearsall is primed to make at least some impact on day one. This is a good draft for centers, so maybe Zach Frasier is there at 63, or we take Sedrick Van Pran, Tannor Bortolini, or Beaux Limmer on day three.

Second, if we were going to reach a bit relative to some other players on the board, I like prioritizing building around Purdy. This allows us to trade Aiyuk or Samuel, but it also presents the possibility of trotting out an awfully nasty three- or even four-WR set next year. If Purdy is the guy, we need to do more of that and improve the drop-back game (though also need to strengthen the OL for that). Also, Pearsall is a guy who can contribute with the new kickoff rules.

Third, for all the talk of value, this draft has a very deep late-first, early-second group. There are a lot of similarly graded players who will be all over the board depending on the team. So sure, AD Mitchell may have more true #1 WR upside, but he also has a much higher likelihood of busting or at least disappointing. Ladd McConkey is a very similar profile, and lots of people had him going in this range, but he's smaller and has injury history. I can't blame them for liking Pearsall more. I certainly haven't studied the film enough to argue. There's a stronger argument for going with Newton, DeJean, or McKinstry, but this FO doesn't take corners high. I might have gone Newton, but he's also got some question marks given his smaller size and limited change of direction.

Interestingly (hilariously?), when asked for a comp, Kyle Shanahan gave...himself. But faster and more explosive. Kyle thinks pretty highly of himself as a receiver (and a coach, and a GM, and a DC, and a...), though he would probably acknowledge some physical limitations, so hopefully Pearsall lives up to that. A good pro comp is a more explosive Adam Thielen. Thielen may never have been a true #1, but there were several years where he was probably the best #2 in the league. At 31, that's not a bad pick at all. And he should be a great fit for our offense.

Anyway, as opposed to our last two third-rounders last year, I'm not irate. In a perfect world, we would have moved back a few spots or moved up from 63 to land him, but if you really like a guy, you don't worry about the pundits' boards. Aiyuk was 35 on the consensus board in 2021 (and Gross-Matos was 27, now that I'm looking at it).

Seeing all of the first round OTs quickly get snatched up and your comments about the remaining OTs on the board, I cannot fault them for passing on an OT in the first round if the remaining OTs were a reach. I do think there were a couple of corners they still could have taken. Based on some of the scouting reports I've read about Pearsal, he doesn't seem like a No 1. WR to me. He has difficulty with press coverage and quality corners. I have questions about him being able to succeed against the leagues better corners especially if he is a top focus of the opposing defense. But he has the ability to be a really good 2nd. Assuming they are able to resign BA to a long term deal, I can't see being able to keep BA and DS long term. That is too much money tide up. BA is more a true no 1. than Deebo. Deebo is a dual threat and run after the catch WR which is what Pearsel may be able to do well in his way. I think Deebo will be back this year, but if Pearsell looks good this year I can them moving on from Deebo the following season, especially if they believe Purdy is worthy of a lucrative extension.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#72 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 pm

Silver saying they might move off Deebo. I don't love Silver, but he's been awfully tapped into the team lately. I'd still bet against it, but if they could get a second-rounder, maybe something else, they might consider moving off Deebo a year or two early instead of waiting and having to cut him down the road.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#73 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#74 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:A few thoughts with a little time removed from the pick.

Third, for all the talk of value, this draft has a very deep late-first, early-second group. There are a lot of similarly graded players who will be all over the board depending on the team. So sure, AD Mitchell may have more true #1 WR upside, but he also has a much higher likelihood of busting or at least disappointing. Ladd McConkey is a very similar profile, and lots of people had him going in this range, but he's smaller and has injury history. I can't blame them for liking Pearsall more. I certainly haven't studied the film enough to argue. There's a stronger argument for going with Newton, DeJean, or McKinstry, but this FO doesn't take corners high. I might have gone Newton, but he's also got some question marks given his smaller size and limited change of direction.

Seeing all of the first round OTs quickly get snatched up and your comments about the remaining OTs on the board, I cannot fault them for passing on an OT in the first round if the remaining OTs were a reach. I do think there were a couple of corners they still could have taken. Based on some of the scouting reports I've read about Pearsal, he doesn't seem like a No 1. WR to me. He has difficulty with press coverage and quality corners. I have questions about him being able to succeed against the leagues better corners especially if he is a top focus of the opposing defense. But he has the ability to be a really good 2nd. Assuming they are able to resign BA to a long term deal, I can't see being able to keep BA and DS long term. That is too much money tide up. BA is more a true no 1. than Deebo. Deebo is a dual threat and run after the catch WR which is what Pearsel may be able to do well in his way. I think Deebo will be back this year, but if Pearsell looks good this year I can them moving on from Deebo the following season, especially if they believe Purdy is worthy of a lucrative extension.

I think Suamataia is an interesting player, but he was the only OT we could have even realistically considered at 31. And he's pretty raw. I would rather wait and take an OT in the second than take him.

No argument on the CBs, especially with our two starters both due to be FAs next year. Though at 31, no one is perfect. DeJean is good, but pretty linear (he did the 40 at his pro day but no agilities, though he was coming off an injury), so maybe not an elite cover guy. He could also be a very good-to-elite FS, but that's not a high value position. McKinstry may not be an elite athlete and apparently there may be some concerns about his foot injury. I would have been fine with either pick at 31, but it's a pretty deep corner class, so hopefully we address it with a pick or two in the upcoming rounds.
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by SK21209 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Silver saying they might move off Deebo. I don't love Silver, but he's been awfully tapped into the team lately. I'd still bet against it, but if they could get a second-rounder, maybe something else, they might consider moving off Deebo a year or two early instead of waiting and having to cut him down the road.

Yeah, it sounds like there's concern about Deebo's impact on the locker room if he sticks around this year but knows he's gone next year. Apparently they're trying to get a second and third for him today. If they were able to pull that off...I'd be okay with it as much as I love Deebo. We'd have 4 Day 2 picks to address OL, DL and CB, and could even trade up given the ammo we have on Day 3.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#76 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Silver saying they might move off Deebo. I don't love Silver, but he's been awfully tapped into the team lately. I'd still bet against it, but if they could get a second-rounder, maybe something else, they might consider moving off Deebo a year or two early instead of waiting and having to cut him down the road.

I still like Deebo. IDK if it is just me, but it seems defenses have been better at stopping him in the running game when he takes handoffs. A couple years ago I remember him tearing teams up. I wonder if defenses are getting better at preparing for it now.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#77 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 pm

SK21209 wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like there's concern about Deebo's impact on the locker room if he sticks around this year but knows he's gone next year. Apparently they're trying to get a second and third for him today. If they were able to pull that off...I'd be okay with it as much as I love Deebo. We'd have 4 Day 2 picks to address OL, DL and CB, and could even trade up given the ammo we have on Day 3.

Assuming BA gets a lucrative long-term deal, IDK how they can keep both on the roster long-term especially when Purdy might be due a big payday.
SK21209
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by SK21209 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
SK21209 wrote:

Assuming BA gets a lucrative long-term deal, IDK how they can keep both on the roster long-term especially when Purdy might be due a big payday.

They can't, especially when we have a handful of guys on the other side of the ball that will need long-term deals too. This all makes sense, I had just hoped for 1 more all-in season with all the big names (minus Armstead) back. But it looks like that may not be in the cards. Trading Deebo makes sense, but its hard to argue it doesn't make the team a bit worse for 2024 even if we hit on the picks we get back for him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#79 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 pm

With the benefit of hindsight, we should have traded Deebo and pick #61 to the Jets instead of signing him. We would have shed a ton of contract, could have drafted Garrett Wilson at 10, and Drake Jackson has been a complete bust to date so that 61st pick didn't do anything for us. That said, maybe we don't make the playoff runs we have without Deebo.

To be clear, I love Deebo and I love the passion he brings to the team. His impact goes beyond the box score, and he is entirely unique in the NFL. But there are a number of things that make me want to move him. First and foremost, I just don't think his play style is sustainable in the long term. He's almost a RB in terms of the punishment he takes, and those guys have a shelf life of 30. Deebo might only have one or two more good years in him. In addition to that, though along the same lines, he has had constant injury issues that don't seem likely to go away. And finally, he dogs it too often. When he's going, he's red-lining it. But when he's not, he doesn't block, he doesn't sell his routes when he's not a primary read. He goes through the motions, but he's not competing every snap the way Aiyuk is. Finally, with a really competent QB, we just don't need him as much. We can find as much value or more in a guy who gets open quickly. Instead of having Deebo fight for five yards on a gain of eight, we can just throw it to the open guy for 10.

If we could get a second and a third today, I'd take that. It probably hurts us a bit this year, though we can add another WR with one of those picks to soften the blow. And it sets us up for the future in a way that we have to start doing if we want to extend this team's title window.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,897

Post#80 » by Samurai » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:24 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

I still like Deebo. IDK if it is just me, but it seems defenses have been better at stopping him in the running game when he takes handoffs. A couple years ago I remember him tearing teams up. I wonder if defenses are getting better at preparing for it now.

I like Deebo too but his whole game is based on his physicality. He's already had a number of injuries and I can see a player that relies that much on physicality having a much faster decline since he doesn't have great route moves or elite hands to compensate for the loss in athleticism. Not convinced Pearsall is a true first round talent; most of the 'experts' had him as a day two or even an early day three pick. But I think there are legit reasons to move off Deebo and Pearsall can at least replicate the jet sweep threat that Deebo provides. Doesn't have Deebo's strength but he should be faster (based on 40 times) and better route running skills.

Return to San Francisco 49ers