Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Re: 2024 NFL Draft prospects 

Post#121 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Quality and value at CB was there at 31, and they reach for a WR.

Then trade back a spot and reach for a CB at 64, with decent OL value on the board

Renardo Green sure doesn't seem to have much ball skills to speak of, crazily it seems like this regime doesn't value ball skills in the CB's like at all.

Now + ball skills aren't a requirement to be a quality CB, coverage ability is the number one thing needed. I just hope Green isn't another Ahkello Witherspoon type that can stay with and cover receivers well and maintains good positioning, but is just oblivious to where the ball is.

We'll see.

Green led the ACC with 14 passes defensed last season. Press man corner. He's physical and plays the run well. He projects as primarily a slot corner which means Lenoir is moving outside.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#122 » by thesack12 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 am

arich35 wrote:Some people take rankings from guys who have never been in the league a little too seriously. Every team values guys differently, we needed a CB and now people are upset we "reached" for him and didn't get an OL with this pick. No matter who we draft at OL this year, Kyle has his starting OL. It sucks but it is what it is

The obvious counter to your point, is OL remains a massive need for this team and they continue to ignore it. They had a surplus of picks going into this draft, and a very limited number of available roster spots. Keying in on a trade up to get "their" OL prospect was always a viable option.

At some point, they are going to need to get some decent potential/upside in that OL room, especially at OT. Outside of Trent, they have nothing of substance at OT, and he's permanently on retirement watch. Need to start thinking real hard about getting some options to be his potential replacement. And its not like they sure couldn't use an upgrade at R tackle either.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,298

Post#123 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:19 am

They always crap the bed on the first couple of rounds.

Only players who have a chance of sticking will be chosen in the 4th or 5th or later.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#124 » by TheMonarch » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 am

Seahawks took Haynes. I wanted him
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#125 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:28 am

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Some people take rankings from guys who have never been in the league a little too seriously. Every team values guys differently, we needed a CB and now people are upset we "reached" for him and didn't get an OL with this pick. No matter who we draft at OL this year, Kyle has his starting OL. It sucks but it is what it is

The obvious counter to your point, is OL remains a massive need for this team and they continue to ignore it. They had a surplus of picks going into this draft, and a very limited number of available roster spots. Keying in on a trade up to get "their" OL prospect was always a viable option.

At some point, they are going to need to get some decent potential/upside in that OL room, especially at OT. Outside of Trent, they have nothing of substance at OT, and he's permanently on retirement watch. Need to start thinking real hard about getting some options to be his potential replacement. And its not like they sure couldn't use an upgrade at R tackle either.

Oh I agree with you completely that we need OL help but I think I have just accepted Kyle does it his own way. I have to imagine they have thought about what they will do when the time comes. I wish someone in the media would ask about the oline and dig deeper into what Kyle/John are trying to do there
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,518

Post#126 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 am

TheMonarch wrote:Seahawks took Haynes. I wanted him
Top guard in the draft. Speaking of which, I forgot they also signed Laken in the off-season
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#127 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

There is your OL, has experience at Guard and LT. Kiper likes him so hopefully everyone else does too lol
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#128 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am

Glad they got OL, but they gave up a late 4th to jump up 8 spots in the 3rd???
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#129 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 am

Puni is at least versatile; in addition to tackle and guard, he also took snaps at center in the Senior Bowl.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#130 » by thesack12 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 am

Puni has solid athleticism. But short arms for an OT, and a lot of writeups mention him having limited range. So I don't know how well he projects as an OT project, maybe more of a G.

He's also 24 years old, which is less than ideal.

But getting some new blood in the OL room was imperative, so I can't dislike the pick at this point of the draft. Wouldn't mind seeing the bring in 2 more OL prospects by the end of the draft.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#131 » by thesack12 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 am

Well, it wasn't in the order that most of us would have preferred. But WR, CB, and OL were all needs going into the draft. So at least we haven't seen any un-necessary "luxury" picks like Davis Price... yet. Pearsall could be considered a luxury pick, but with the current uncertainty surrounding the WR position, I don't see it that way.

OL, LB, S could all use some depth.

And they really should bring in a late round QB prospect. I actually like Allen more than Dobbs, but neither of those guys are confidence inspiring QB2's. That's not to say that a late round rookie will emerge as QB2 this season, but could move into that role next season after a year of seasoning.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#132 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am

thesack12 wrote:Puni has solid athleticism. But short arms for an OT, and a lot of writeups mention him having limited range. So I don't know how well he projects as an OT project, maybe more of a G.

But getting some new blood in the OL room was imperative, so I can't dislike the pick at this point of the draft. Wouldn't mind seeing the bring in 2 more OL prospects by the end of the draft.

Agreed. Older prospects being drafted is just temporary. All due to COVID and a lot of players losing a year. It will right itself out.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#133 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:03 am

thesack12 wrote:Puni has solid athleticism. But short arms for an OT, and a lot of writeups mention him having limited range. So I don't know how well he projects as an OT project, maybe more of a G.

They say Puni has short arms for an OT, yet his wingspan is longer than Colton McKivitz. Granted, we would like an upgrade over McKivitz so if Puni has more length than our starting RT, seems like he should be given a fair opportunity in training camp to see if he could beat out McKivitz. If he can't, then he can always be kicked inside and see if he could be a starting G.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,219

Post#134 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 am

Pretty obvious the FO have very specific types of players they like and they don't care where they are ranked on Pete Briscos mock
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#135 » by Bald Bull » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am

thesack12 wrote:Quality and value at CB was there at 31, and they reach for a WR.

Then trade back a spot and reach for a CB at 64, with decent OL value on the board

Renardo Green sure doesn't seem to have much ball skills to speak of, crazily it seems like this regime doesn't value ball skills in the CB's like at all.

Now + ball skills aren't a requirement to be a quality CB, coverage ability is the number one thing needed. I just hope Green isn't another Ahkello Witherspoon type that can stay with and cover receivers well and maintains good positioning, but is just oblivious to where the ball is.

We'll see.

It's possible he could be an Akhello, but he seems more like a Jimmie Ward to me. Jimmie Ward was allergic to INTs but the drop off since he left was noticeable last season. I'd be happy with a Ward level CB at Nickle. I've seen several people call him the best press cover corner in the draft, he Lead ACC in pass break ups so he is making some plays on the ball. I've only seen clips, but I like that his highlights include tackles for loss. I like his feistiness. He's being described as instinctive, I don't think akhello was instinctive. Green's personality reminded me of Deebo in his interview.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#136 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 am

Can’t speak for all of them, but I do remember Green getting a lot of legit passes defended. He’s pretty good in limited space, he’s very physical…which is one of the concerns, I saw the desk talking about another CB being very ‘handsy’ and saying you can’t get away with that in the NFL and I thought of Green (wasn’t thinking of him as a Niner at that point).

It’s a question mark, but I’ve seen it go both ways on those kinds of DBs , so dunno. Slightly more, not concerning, but potentially limiting is he’s more quick than fast, doesn’t really have long speed and though that can work imo we’ve already seen our defense limited by that in other CBs, having to roll protection or take a chance on a deep cut. Again, he’s not a bad player, at all, he’s probably going to make a decent pro, but it might be more like the guys we already have than we’ll like, a lot of ‘good tackle after the completion’ type of plays. Rooting for him, though, he’s not shy.

Mulling this over I think I was slightly too negative above, I think he’s a better man defender than any of the guys we’ve drafted coming out, I just think he’s more of a slight upgrade than anything that significantly different. But I tend to eventually talk myself into our picks so maybe that’s what I’m doing now. But to be fair, I would have been okay with us investing like every pick, either just picking or trading up, on OL. I think it’s that much of a need, and for example I love how the Lions addressed their biggest need.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#137 » by Jikkle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:41 am

The front office has been pretty hit or miss when it comes to the secondary so hard to say if Green will be a hit or miss as he has the making to go either direction. He did face some of the best receivers in this draft and did fare will against them so at least he competed against some legit guys.

The thing I will say is I'm glad to have a guy that's more press man. It's just become so exhausting watching us give up easy 3rd down completions time and time again with guys playing 5 yards off a guy when it's like 3rd and 6. I don't see why we don't copy the general formula that teams use to beat our offense and that's the defensive line crushing the offensive line and the secondary being aggressive and not giving up easy crap.

As far as the offensive line goes I'm glad they made the attempt to address it and considering LT is the only position that doesn't need an upgrade we can't lose playing Puni wherever he ends up being best at. So once the offseason work begins they need to quickly figure out his strongest spot and go with that.

And given that I said they could use an upgrade along 4 spots on the offensive line I really hope they snag another guy in the 4th. My stance still hasn't changed and I'd rather overdraft the group until you get it right instead of relying on a bunch of 5th rounders and UDFAs and hope they work.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#138 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:39 pm

I still don't understand why they have up a 4th to move up 8 spots in the 3rd
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#139 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Samurai
General Manager

Post#140 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Mustapha seems like a solid pick. We knew we needed another safety and Mustapha has freakish athleticism. Aggressive play style that uplifts teammates, very good run support with good tackling technique, very strong, speed that reached 23 mph in-game, and 36.5" vertical. Could contribute right away on special teams.

Return to San Francisco 49ers