Michael Crabtree/Draft Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Re: Michael Crabtree/Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by GswStorm3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm

gswhoops wrote:
DGrangeRx33 wrote:I was on that boat too gswhoops, but have come around to liking the draft. Next years draft class is very deep and Everette Brown is probably a tweener at the NFL level, between LB and DE. I would still have liked him, and especially hated giving up the 4th rounder, but next years class will be a great time to have 2 picks.

Yeah, I like having 2 1sts next year to nab a premier QB, and picking up a 1st round talent in the 7th with Jean-Francois was a pretty good move. I like Davis and McKillop as well..I guess it's just the Coffee pick that really bugs me. With Gore, Foster and Robinson already on board, we should have picked an offensive tackle there.

So I'll give it a B for now, and reserve my right to change that grade later.

The 49ers didn't re-sign Deshaun Foster.
kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Post#42 » by kevin44 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:13 pm

I guess I am the only one who thinks this was a really bad draft. Our two biggest needs, OT & a pass rusher, were not addressed. We don't have a great qb, so getting a WR is a waste right now. Crabtree is coming off a foot frature, so we better hope he can stay healthy, unlike Woods we drafted a few years back. I thought we were going to draft a big bruising back and run the ball this yr.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#43 » by TMACFORMVP » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 pm

I'd give our draft a B+, I'm reserving judgment on the trade, Brown would have been nice, and I'd have likely kept him as he was projected to go higher than our pick and actually served a need, but having two first round picks in next years draft will look much better when we actually get to that point. I also liked the McKillop, Jean Francois picks. The Davis one was a risk which could pay off or not, no harm with the pick, low risk, high reward.

The reason it's not an A was because I wasn't too sure on selecting a RB with our second pick in the draft, especially one with injury history and we had some needs which we didn't address like an OT, or in the secondary. Getting Crabtree was obviously the main reason why we received such a high grade, moreso due to the Raiders questionable pick and frankly getting more lucky than actual drafting skills. But hey, every team needs some luck. ;)
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#44 » by Hopper15 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Nice, detailed artcle by Mike Silver on how everything unfolded.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
GswStorm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 310

Post#45 » by GswStorm3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:09 pm

A week ago If you told me the Niners were walking away with Michael Crabtree and an extra 2010 first round, I would've laughed at you too.

Good article.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#46 » by Hopper15 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:30 pm

Just saw an hour long draft special on NFL Network following Crabtree, Stafford, and Cushing around from around combine time all the way through to the draft. It was nice to see that Crabtree and Jerry Rice already had a somewhat established relationship even before the draft. I think JR can be instrumental in his development.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#47 » by TMACFORMVP » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:03 am

Yeah, having Bruce as a veteran presence on the team during games should also help with his development as well. His potential is scary.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,983

Post#48 » by gswhoops » Fri May 1, 2009 8:52 pm

If Jerry and Isaac can get him on the right path, look out NFL.

Return to San Francisco 49ers