ImageImageImageImageImage

Baalke's drafting record

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 206

Re: Baalke's drafting record 

Post#81 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 am

Ease_Ur_Storm wrote:Baalke is actually a good fit in theory for a team in rebuild mode. The problem is that he never adapted when the team was deep to make a move up for an impact player vs. continual move backs that yielded mediocre players or nothing.

As a result too many players were hanging around not getting developed, while knocking each other off of the roster with a brigade of ACL injured players hanging around on the IR. This last draft should finally help the team long term. But a major reason why is because so many vet players retired or got cleared out - so there was finally room to start developing some of these guys on the field.

He consistently has been able to find good CB's in the mid-late rounds. He landed Trent Brown at the bottom of the draft. Other than that it's real bad when a chimp throwing darts at a board with draft names on it could have viably ended up with better results over the entirety of his five drafts. He got unlucky with several picks, but when you consistently bring in players that come in as broken pieces, you typically end up with broken players.

In theory maybe. But in reality he isn't. And with everything else that appears to be going on in the FO, no top coaching candidate will come here to work under Baalke.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#82 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Yeah, Baalke's philosophy of stockpiling draft picks and being frugal in free agency on the surface is a good fit. However, you can't consistently draft poorly for years and continuously fail to identify weaknesses/problem areas on the roster and not address them.

Also, can't be a tyrant in the way you run things in today's NFL.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#83 » by wco81 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Greg Cossell talked about the 49ers getting gashed on runs.

He said there was a concern about Armstead being too tall and thus playing too high for the run when he was drafted.

The thought was that Buckner had a better body type to be stout against the run but he's also playing high as well.

What the ****, two wasted first round picks.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#84 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 pm

wco81 wrote:Greg Cossell talked about the 49ers getting gashed on runs.

He said there was a concern about Armstead being too tall and thus playing too high for the run when he was drafted.

The thought was that Buckner had a better body type to be stout against the run but he's also playing high as well.

I think they will be ok, I really like Bucker especially. They need better technique, sounds like a coaching issue.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#85 » by CalamityX12 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:15 pm

The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#86 » by Ray_Dogg » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Yep. I was not happy at all when we drafted these guys. I've kept quiet about it because what's done is done and I'm waiting to see if things change. I'm giving Armstead a pass on this season because he is delaying surgery and playing with one arm. Why I do not know. It is a lost season. Buckner I already know what he looks like without a shirt on and it isn't pretty. He really needs to work on leverage and improving his strength otherwise he will continue to get rag dolled in the run game.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#87 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:56 pm

That's a bit melodramatic. Buckner is a rookie. He's going to have good moments and bad moments. Armstead is a young (still 22) second-year player who is playing hurt and will likely need surgery at the end of this year. It's very premature to call these guys wasted picks. Particularly when we're without our best NT and both starting ILBs.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#88 » by 49er4life1979 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

That's a bit melodramatic. Buckner is a rookie. He's going to have good moments and bad moments. Armstead is a young (still 22) second-year player who is playing hurt and will likely need surgery at the end of this year. It's very premature to call these guys wasted picks. Particularly when we're without our best NT and both starting ILBs.

Not to mention we have no NT.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#89 » by wco81 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:18 pm

Matt Barrows' draft grades on Baalke's picks:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article121114758.html

Nothing better than a B.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#90 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:22 am

Way too knee-jerk. All reports out of training camp were that Armstead was playing great in the offseason, looking like perhaps the best player on the unit. Then he hurt his shoulder and it clearly affected his performance prior to going on IR. Buckner has been a bright spot in what has otherwise been a very grim year for the defense. Sure, both these guys still need work, but I think they have the makings of book-ends on the DL for years to come. IMO, the problems in run D stem primarily from a combination of scheme, some terrible NT play (Dorsey upgraded this for a bit when he finally returned to form), and an ILBing corps that totally and utterly lacks instincts. Watching Hodges and Bellore play when you're used to Willis and Bowman (or hell, Borland)...I just don't have words.

Return to San Francisco 49ers