Week 4: Rams @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Re: Week 4: Rams @ 49ers 

Post#201 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 12:37 pm

Samurai wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Honestly, the only thing missing from the offense is deep-threat ability. Shanahan's play-calling is predictable at times. And Jimmy either can't see certain plays or is too afraid but he routinely misses downfield big-play opportunities.

We are also missing consistent play from our O-line. Have to expect that with an All Pro like Williams out, but now McKivitz will also be out for 2 months with a MCL sprain. Looks like Jaylon Moore will have to put on his big-boy pants for a while. The spotty O-line play shows up in both fewer lanes in the run game as well as not giving Jimmy much time to throw in passing situations. And the more we have to keep Kittle in to help blocking takes away another one of our offensive weapons at a time we could use more, not fewer, weapons.

I'd still like to see if there is a way to get Danny Gray involved in the offense. Yes, I know he isn't a deep threat since Jimmy can't throw that far, but there has to be a way that even a noodle-arm QB can hit him on crossing routes and let him just out-run his defender. Or try a few jet sweeps with Gray or Ray-Ray instead of running Deebo into the ground. And in terms of deep-threats, we had one play last night in which Juice was running alone on a deep route but Jimmy didn't see him and threw a checkdown incompletion instead. Since Jimmy doesn't have the arm to hit our WR's deep, if a guy like Juice can run free then a 20-yard "bomb" would be considered a deep threat ability by our current roster.

I don't think Jimmy has a noodle arm. I remember in 2019 in multiple games where he hit some nice deep routes. And, yea, I remember the play where Juice ran a post-route and was totally wide-open, would've most likely been a house call.

Just have to hope the more that Jimmy practices and gets into game shape the more comfortable/confident he gets to let loose a couple of bombs. Even if he misses them, it's not bad to test the opposing safeties and keep them honest.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to San Francisco 49ers