ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#2141 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:41 am

dr3am wrote:Sherman has to stay, it’s a must.. Verrett is great but I don’t care for Mosley, he’s too small sorry. I gave him a pass for getting ate up by DK Metcalf coz he’s huge but to get torched by Davante Adams?? No sir ski, Uncle Sherm didn’t get torched by either of them.

Yeah, he got beaten by Davante Adams. What a bum. I mean, that guy is only consistently a top-5 WR in the league. Must be because he's always matching up against awful CBs.

And Sherm did get torched by Adams (9 for 138 in the playoff game), it just didn't matter because the offense was killing the Pack on the ground. I can't recall how much of that was done against Sherman, but I distinctly recall him getting beaten badly down the sideline for 60+ of those yards on Adams' biggest play.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#2142 » by Jikkle » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:49 am

wco81 wrote:Some fans want the 49ers to pick a QB high in the draft but they should see what’s available at CB and outside rushers.

Defense could be dominant with those positions shored up and Bosa coming back fully healthy
Sherman still can play but I can envision him being injured more and he’s going to want more money than he’s worth at this point.

If you're looking for a starting QB you either pick him in the 1st round or not at all. You might find someone outside of the 1st but it's extremely rare and most the QBs starting in the NFL today were 1st rounders.

It boils down to if Kyle actually believes in Jimmy G or not. Because if Kyle is working around Jimmy G and not calling the offense like he wants too then they need to cut him and look elsewhere. If Kyle believes that there were other factors in Jimmy G's struggles like injuries, lack of offensive consistency, terrible o line, etc than he should keep him around for another year.

If Jimmy G stays I'd be looking at BPA between CB, Edge, and OL in the 1st and 2nd I'd be hyper focused on the interior of the offensive line.

Because the offensive line desperately needs attention. I'd keep Trent Williams mainly because I don't think McGlinchey is going to work out and we can't have holes at both Tackle spots. Laken I'd keep but for largely the same reason as Williams in that C and RG are way more needed and they need to patch those holes first. McGlinchey you do his option and cross your fingers that maybe he figures it out but you're looking for a potential replacement in the draft for him.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#2143 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Jikkle wrote:
wco81 wrote:Some fans want the 49ers to pick a QB high in the draft but they should see what’s available at CB and outside rushers.

Defense could be dominant with those positions shored up and Bosa coming back fully healthy
Sherman still can play but I can envision him being injured more and he’s going to want more money than he’s worth at this point.

If you're looking for a starting QB you either pick him in the 1st round or not at all. You might find someone outside of the 1st but it's extremely rare and most the QBs starting in the NFL today were 1st rounders.

It boils down to if Kyle actually believes in Jimmy G or not. Because if Kyle is working around Jimmy G and not calling the offense like he wants too then they need to cut him and look elsewhere. If Kyle believes that there were other factors in Jimmy G's struggles like injuries, lack of offensive consistency, terrible o line, etc than he should keep him around for another year.

If Jimmy G stays I'd be looking at BPA between CB, Edge, and OL in the 1st and 2nd I'd be hyper focused on the interior of the offensive line.

Because the offensive line desperately needs attention. I'd keep Trent Williams mainly because I don't think McGlinchey is going to work out and we can't have holes at both Tackle spots. Laken I'd keep but for largely the same reason as Williams in that C and RG are way more needed and they need to patch those holes first. McGlinchey you do his option and cross your fingers that maybe he figures it out but you're looking for a potential replacement in the draft for him.

Speaking of outside rushers, Hyder has been a beast this year. 7 sacks, 17 QB hits so far. If he keeps that up it may be hard to re-sign him! But I guess we can cut Ford and save money or restructure some contracts. Hyder is a must keep.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,432

Post#2144 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Jikkle wrote:

I agree, you generally have to draft high.

But then it takes at least a year to develop him. Even Mahomes took a year.

Right now among rookies, Herbert is putting up numbers but losing a lot of games.

49ers are in the contention window, with the state of their payroll and nut much cap space. So can they afford to lose a year now with a rookie QB? Anyone they draft may be in the middle of the first round. Will he be good enough?

No need to remind you of all the high picks who are not much better than Jimmy -- Goff, Trubitsky, Darnold, etc.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2145 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:02 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Speaking of outside rushers, Hyder has been a beast this year. 7 sacks, 17 QB hits so far. If he keeps that up it may be hard to re-sign him! But I guess we can cut Ford and save money or restructure some contracts. Hyder is a must keep.

Hyder has been solid, but a lot of those sacks have been coverage or persistence sacks. He hasn't had too many plays where he quickly and cleanly beat his man and got in the QB's face. I'm open to re-signing him, but not for a lot. I'd just as soon bring back a healthy Blair. Speaking of, is he due back any time soon?
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#2146 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 5:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Hyder has been solid, but a lot of those sacks have been coverage or persistence sacks. He hasn't had too many plays where he quickly and cleanly beat his man and got in the QB's face. I'm open to re-signing him, but not for a lot. I'd just as soon bring back a healthy Blair. Speaking of, is he due back any time soon?

No word on Blair or Ford yet. Seems Blair and Richburg have those injuries that linger well beyond what was originally projected. I would not be surprised if they fail to play a down this year
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#2147 » by dr3am » Tue Dec 1, 2020 6:32 pm

I hate to say this but forget Dee Ford.. it’s just beyond sad that he’s about to miss nearly a whole season.. hopefully he retires when this year is over.

So if we manage to somehow & I mean somehow beat the Bills Monday then does Jimmy G come back the following week against Washington or the Cowgirls?
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,903

Post#2148 » by Samurai » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:13 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

Not disagreeing with you on Hyder, but it should also be remembered that he is doing this without the benefit of playing with Bosa. Bosa would be attracting the lion's share of the offensive line's concerns, making it easier for the other rushers. So if Hyder has been "solid" without Bosa, he could be a legit pass-rushing beast if he had Bosa playing. If so, Hyder could be a Dee Ford type player for less money than Ford is commanding (and not delivering).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2149 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 1, 2020 7:36 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:

Not disagreeing with you on Hyder, but it should also be remembered that he is doing this without the benefit of playing with Bosa. Bosa would be attracting the lion's share of the offensive line's concerns, making it easier for the other rushers. So if Hyder has been "solid" without Bosa, he could be a legit pass-rushing beast if he had Bosa playing. If so, Hyder could be a Dee Ford type player for less money than Ford is commanding (and not delivering).

Sure, I'm all for bringing him back, but I'd be looking at "solid base end" money rather than "good-to-great edge rusher" money. If we're looking at anything close to the latter, I let him walk.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#2150 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 8:38 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Sure, I'm all for bringing him back, but I'd be looking at "solid base end" money rather than "good-to-great edge rusher" money. If we're looking at anything close to the latter, I let him walk.

About Blair, looks like he is done for the reason as is Richburg. Not surprised.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/dl-ronald-blair-c-weston-190409149.html
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2151 » by dr3am » Tue Dec 1, 2020 9:58 pm

Welp here’s the answer to my question

Read on Twitter

Damn, it’s definitely a L on Monday night, Josh Allen damn sure ain’t Goff & small dick Mullens folds even harder under prime time lights

I think the games against Washington & the Cowgirls are winnable... gonna be close games but winnable

While everybody looking toward the draft we’re 1 game back from the final Wild Card spot & Arizona could damn well lose again to the Rams this Sunday
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2152 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:30 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:Not disagreeing with you on Hyder, but it should also be remembered that he is doing this without the benefit of playing with Bosa. Bosa would be attracting the lion's share of the offensive line's concerns, making it easier for the other rushers. So if Hyder has been "solid" without Bosa, he could be a legit pass-rushing beast if he had Bosa playing. If so, Hyder could be a Dee Ford type player for less money than Ford is commanding (and not delivering).

About Blair, looks like he is done for the reason as is Richburg. Not surprised.

Looks like Blair and Richburg had setbacks while recovering from surgery. Shocking.

I have been a football fan for a pretty long time at this point, and I can't recall a team that was so poor at getting guys back from injury. We need to completely overhaul the medical and training staff IMO. This is absurd. Either we're just the unluckiest team of all time, or we aren't doing things the right way. It's a huge problem. And if Bosa isn't ready for week one of next year, I'm going to lose my goddamn mind.

Additionally, without Blair and Ford to bolster the pass rush, our playoff push is basically meaningless. Our D is solid enough, but without a pass rush, we don't have the players to make a deep push. Even in a deeply flawed NFC.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,903

Post#2153 » by Samurai » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:50 pm

And Jamar Taylor tore his ACL to add to the injury woes. His PFF grade this season was higher than Mosely, Witherspoon, or Williams.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#2154 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 2, 2020 5:19 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Looks like Blair and Richburg had setbacks while recovering from surgery. Shocking.

I have been a football fan for a pretty long time at this point, and I can't recall a team that was so poor at getting guys back from injury. We need to completely overhaul the medical and training staff IMO. This is absurd. Either we're just the unluckiest team of all time, or we aren't doing things the right way. It's a huge problem. And if Bosa isn't ready for week one of next year, I'm going to lose my goddamn mind.

Additionally, without Blair and Ford to bolster the pass rush, our playoff push is basically meaningless. Our D is solid enough, but without a pass rush, we don't have the players to make a deep push. Even in a deeply flawed NFC.

I think the training staff was already turned over. Blair had to have surgery again last october on his knee as the first surgery was not successful. Sounds like there was an issue with the original surgery and the first surgeon apparently sounds like he has no affiliation with the 49ers. Richburg's shoulder surgery set him back. Not sure how much of that is the fault of the training staff. Richburg just seems injury prone and maybe Blair chose the wrong surgeon.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2155 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 2, 2020 7:12 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

I think the training staff was already turned over. Blair had to have surgery again last october on his knee as the first surgery was not successful. Sounds like there was an issue with the original surgery and the first surgeon apparently sounds like he has no affiliation with the 49ers. Richburg's shoulder surgery set him back. Not sure how much of that is the fault of the training staff. Richburg just seems injury prone and maybe Blair chose the wrong surgeon.

Any one of these can be chalked up to bad luck, a one-time thing, etc. But the confluence of all of these lingering injuries, botched surgeries, and rehab setbacks is too much to dismiss as pure coincidence. You're right, the surgeon presumably was not affiliated with the Niners, but I'd imagine the team had a hand in recommending them. And I do attribute the setbacks largely to the training staff. Just off the top of my head, McKinnon, Street, Trent Taylor, Hurd, Richburg, Blair, and Ford have all ended up missing way more time than initially projected. It's got to improve or we can't continue to be competitive.
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2156 » by dr3am » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:42 pm

Just saw that the Bills have lost 4 straight Monday night football games..
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2157 » by dr3am » Sun Dec 6, 2020 1:49 am

I don’t appreciate Sherman coming out saying he’s most likely not coming back & pushing for the Lions to hire Saleh... Jack ass you could’ve waited until the offseason & I think his old ass might return to the SeaCocks next season SMH.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#2158 » by I_am_1z » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:24 pm

dr3am wrote:I don’t appreciate Sherman coming out saying he’s most likely not coming back & pushing for the Lions to hire Saleh... Jack ass you could’ve waited until the offseason & I think his old ass might return to the SeaCocks next season SMH.

Do you hear yourself? You sound like a child that just found out Santa isn't real. Could have sworn you were on the bandwagon of firing Saleh in his first year. It easy to see why any player would resent playing for this reactionary fanbase.
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2159 » by dr3am » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:41 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
dr3am wrote:I don’t appreciate Sherman coming out saying he’s most likely not coming back & pushing for the Lions to hire Saleh... Jack ass you could’ve waited until the offseason & I think his old ass might return to the SeaCocks next season SMH.

Do you hear yourself? You sound like a child that just found out Santa isn't real. Could have sworn you were on the bandwagon of firing Saleh in his first year. It easy to see why any player would resent playing for this reactionary fanbase.

Please find any post where I said fire Saleh... I’ll wait, and if it’s some reactionary fanbase why you a fan? Smh. The proper way to handle things is to wait until the offseason, not tampering around like how Sherman is doing. That can ruin a team’s chemistry.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,563

Post#2160 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:53 pm

dr3am wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

The proper way to handle things is to wait until the offseason, not tampering around like how Sherman is doing. That can ruin a team’s chemistry.

Some things never change I see lol. This is who Sherm is. He burns bridges. When things are going well, everything is fine & dandy. When they aren't, the Jackass shows himself. Fwiw, I don't want him back. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Return to San Francisco 49ers