Post#241 » by Jikkle » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:54 pm

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: Week 6: 49ers @ Falcons 

Post#242 » by thesack12 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:02 pm

Jikkle wrote:

Thanks for the clip.

Its crazy, its like this guy crawled into my mind and is expressing all my thoughts on the game. He saw that game, basically exactly how I did.

Its also refreshing to see someone reflect on the effects on game flow and momentum. Not many people take that into account when breaking down film.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#243 » by thesack12 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:12 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Now this is a post I can get behind. Criticism isn't unwarranted, but it should be fair/realistic/and rational.

I completely agree with your opening and closing points 100%.

An NFL QB shoulders the load for a team, and they get extra blowback for the losses. However, that should go both ways. A lot of the time, Jimmy gets next to no credit when the team wins. If the QB is as crucial to a teams success (which they absolutely are) they should get both the benefit of getting credit for the wins and bearing responsibility for the losses. Of course there will be individual games, where the QB is directly responsible for a W or an L due to individual play, but on a macro level it should be a even keeled dispersal of credit/blame ratio.

As for your film room comment, again 100% agree. A lot of the reason of watching film is to discuss what went wrong and why plays got left on the field. Then try to get better in those situations moving forward. This goes for all players. I'm sure the failed 3rd downs and 4th down, were discussed by Jimmy/Kyle/et all.

Overall, if Jimmy can maintain the level of play he's been at the last several weeks this team has a high ceiling. Especially with an elite RB having just walked in the door.

I wrestle with this one a bit. I think on an individual-game basis, you're right. But when people discuss Jimmy's strengths, the first thing to come up is his win-loss record. So he is getting quite a bit of credit in the big picture.

A huge part of why Jimmy perhaps doesn't get as much credit as he should is because of the team's fairly remarkable success in the playoffs despite Jimmy's limited contributions or outright bad play. In 2019, he basically did nothing in the first two rounds as we blew out the opposition with our ground game. When we needed him to step up in the second half of the super bowl, he really struggled. This past year, we should have beaten the Cowboys handily, but Jimmy's really questionable play down the stretch let them back in it. He did very little against the Packers, other than throw a pick deep in Packer territory in a very low-scoring game (yes, I know Kittle dropped a very well-thrown ball on the first drive that would have been a very big play). And he had a lot of shaky moments in an NFC championship game that was there for the taking.

I think it's true that he simultaneously gets too little credit for individual wins, but perhaps too much credit for his objectively stellar record.

Ehh, you and I have already extensively discussed the super Bowl. Both the offense and defense played more than good enough for the first 50 minutes of that game to win. Unfortunately both sides of the ball decided to melt down the last 10 minutes. Both the offense and defense should shoulder equal blame.

As for the win/loss credit ratio, it should not be understated. Its not some meaningless, throwaway cherry picked stat.

Its very difficult to win consistently in the NFL. And in the NFL QB play is the single most important thing and its not even close. Teams can win a few games despite the QB. However, teams aren't carrying the type of win % and making the playoff runs the 9ers have enjoyed if the QB was a net negative. The dude contributes to winning football.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#244 » by thesack12 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:23 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Now this is a post I can get behind. Criticism isn't unwarranted, but it should be fair/realistic/and rational.

I completely agree with your opening and closing points 100%.

An NFL QB shoulders the load for a team, and they get extra blowback for the losses. However, that should go both ways. A lot of the time, Jimmy gets next to no credit when the team wins. If the QB is as crucial to a teams success (which they absolutely are) they should get both the benefit of getting credit for the wins and bearing responsibility for the losses. Of course there will be individual games, where the QB is directly responsible for a W or an L due to individual play, but on a macro level it should be a even keeled dispersal of credit/blame ratio.

As for your film room comment, again 100% agree. A lot of the reason of watching film is to discuss what went wrong and why plays got left on the field. Then try to get better in those situations moving forward. This goes for all players. I'm sure the failed 3rd downs and 4th down, were discussed by Jimmy/Kyle/et all.

Overall, if Jimmy can maintain the level of play he's been at the last several weeks this team has a high ceiling. Especially with an elite RB having just walked in the door.

I wrestle with this one a bit. I think on an individual-game basis, you're right. But when people discuss Jimmy's strengths, the first thing to come up is his win-loss record. So he is getting quite a bit of credit in the big picture.

A huge part of why Jimmy perhaps doesn't get as much credit as he should is because of the team's fairly remarkable success in the playoffs despite Jimmy's limited contributions or outright bad play. In 2019, he basically did nothing in the first two rounds as we blew out the opposition with our ground game. When we needed him to step up in the second half of the super bowl, he really struggled. This past year, we should have beaten the Cowboys handily, but Jimmy's really questionable play down the stretch let them back in it. He did very little against the Packers, other than throw a pick deep in Packer territory in a very low-scoring game (yes, I know Kittle dropped a very well-thrown ball on the first drive that would have been a very big play). And he had a lot of shaky moments in an NFC championship game that was there for the taking.

I think it's true that he simultaneously gets too little credit for individual wins, but perhaps too much credit for his objectively stellar record.

I think what ultimately happens in situations like this is that many fans join one of two camps. There is one camp that really supports Jimmy G and another side that doesn't like him at all. And both sides will use whatever stats they need to make their argument about why Jimmy is a good or bad QB. Ultimately the debate should be over. Lance was named the starter and Jimmy was shopped around the NFL. Jimmy is the backup QB starting because of injury. If we are still having this debate at the start of next season and the reports don't show the staff fully committed to starting Lance then there is a bigger reason to be concerned.

Underline part is so true.

Unfortunately, a sizable portion of the don't like Jimmy at all camp are quite close minded on him. If the team does good, Jimmy was just along for the ride. If the team does bad, its Jimmy's fault. This past Falcons game is a perfect case study in this.

Its whatever though, the Garoppolo polarization isn't going to change. He'll be going somewhere else this offseason, and we'll all be able to move on.

In the meantime, we just hope Jimmy can play solid football the rest of this season.

Return to San Francisco 49ers