Week 7: Colts @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: Week 7: Colts @ 49ers 

Post#281 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 am

Such a fitting end.

You're the home team. You've known all week that it's going to be raining on Sunday. And you turn it over four times. Just inexcusable.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#282 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:26 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:It's time for Lance. There's nothing to be gained by starting Jimmy. He's a fine NFL QB, but he's not taking this team anywhere. I don't know that Lance can, but we need to start finding out.
Maybe. Worries me that he looks way not ready and it could set him back.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#283 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:27 am

And we were supposed to have SB potential?

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#284 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:30 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Such a fitting end.

You're the home team. You've known all week that it's going to be raining on Sunday. And you turn it over four times. Just inexcusable.

Of course, the conditions were a big neutralizing factor in this game. But for whatever reason, 9ers have lost 7 consecutive home games
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#285 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:31 am

zman1 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:It's time for Lance. There's nothing to be gained by starting Jimmy. He's a fine NFL QB, but he's not taking this team anywhere. I don't know that Lance can, but we need to start finding out.
Maybe. Worries me that he looks way not ready and it could set him back.

He went in against the best team in the league and was given a terrible game plan that exposed him to risk, asked him to do the things he struggles with, and gave him very little opportunity to showcase his strengths. I have no idea why Shanahan called such a **** game for him, but if they're actually putting him in position to succeed, he should be fine. This offense still has a lot of talent. You just wouldn't know it from what they've shown to date.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#286 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:32 am

thesack12 wrote:

Of course, the conditions were a big neutralizing factor in this game. But for whatever reason, 9ers have lost 7 consecutive home games

The conditions affected both teams. One team more or less executed. The other team fell apart. As they have in virtually every game this year.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#287 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 am

It was crazy how much he was asked to run that game and the hits he took. Not at all sustainable as we found out with his knee sprain.

He does not look ready to me and afraid he will regress like Alex Smith said happened to him.

zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#288 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 am

zman1 wrote:It was crazy how much he was asked to run that game and the hits he took. Not at all sustainable as we found out with his knee sprain.

He does not look ready to me and afraid he will regress like Alex Smith said happened to him.

About Lance

zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#289 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:36 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

The conditions affected both teams. One team more or less executed. The other team fell apart. As they have in virtually every game this year.
Yup. Almost gave away game 1.

thesack12
RealGM

Post#290 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I don't disagree with either of your posts. Was just elaborating that home field has not been an advantage for the 49ers for awhile now.
Scott T
Starter
And1: 446

Post#291 » by Scott T » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:38 am

Unless he makes a total 180 on what we've seen this year then I really want Kyle to GTFO. If he isn't elevating the offense then he is one of the worst HC's in the league. He really doesn't have many other strengths, especially when you consider the influence he has on personnel decisions and how bad the moves with his fingerprints on them have been.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#292 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:51 am

49ers are still only 1 game out of a wild card spot with 11 games yet to play.

John and Kyle aren't close to waiving the white flag yet. Other than the 2019 outlier, they're collective record is pretty poor.

Plus, the whole purpose of heavily investing in another QB is to elevate the team. At this point Trey isn't yet capable of that type of impact.

Until the team falls completely out of the hunt, or Trey proves to be the clearly superior option, its probably going to be status quo for awhile.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#293 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:52 am

I wouldn't just put Lance in there, but I'd put Banks, Thomas and Lenoir in there along with moving Moore to RT when Williams is back. Let the kids get the on the job experience they need and sit the guys that have 0 future with the team.

The problems with the offense aren't all on Jimmy G so putting Lance in there isn't going to be some miracle cure for the offense but Jimmy G isn't the solution and he's not on the team next season so any snaps he takes is a waste.

Putting Lance in there will be a rough ride because his mechanical issues and thus his accuracy issues aren't something he'll be able to really tackle until the offseason but at least he gets the experience of learning to go against NFL defenses and learning the offense more and more. I've maintained from what I've seen of him is that he's not incapable of doing things like reading defenses, knowing the offense, and even throwing an accurate ball but just needs experience with the first two at least.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#294 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:59 am

They got 60 yards rushing on the opening drive, and only 51 yards combined on the other 12 possessions.

In a driving rain storm and the conventional running game not going anywhere, I don't know why you make zero attempts of giving Deebo a carry.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#295 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:33 am

zman1 wrote:It was crazy how much he was asked to run that game and the hits he took. Not at all sustainable as we found out with his knee sprain.

Yeah, Trey is carrying a 25/48 for 354 yards (7.4 YAT) line.

If you take out that one 76 yard broken play where Seattle just flat out didn't cover Deebo, that puts Lance at 24/47 for 278 yards (5.9 YAT.)

I also saw a stat where Lance is only 2/9 on passes that traveled more than 10 yards in the air. That's 10 yards total, not 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

He has been pretty poor in the passing game. But going beyond the common stats, he has had 11 passes batted down/deflected which means he is staring down his receivers and telegraphing his passes. He is pretty hesitant to the throw the ball. He has yet to recognize what being open looks like in the NFL. He also almost always looks to run at the first sign of pressure, instead of trying to extending the play and keeping his eyes downfield in case a receiver comes open. The game film review showed him missing several plays and leaving a lot of yards on the field. His mechanics and accuracy need a lot of cleaning up, and he just doesn't have a good feel for the required pre-snap reads/recognition and calling out protections.

Considering how inexperienced he is, all of this is to be expected. Really you could make a case that he's ahead in his development considering his experience level.

Still at this point, he's much more of an athlete than a quarterback. Until he gets to a certain threshold of capability with most QB skills/duties/responsibilities, just throwing him out there can be detrimental to his long term development.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#296 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:56 am

Read on Twitter
thesack12
RealGM

Post#297 » by thesack12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:59 am

thesack12 wrote:They got 60 yards rushing on the opening drive, and only 51 yards combined on the other 12 possessions.

In a driving rain storm and the conventional running game not going anywhere, I don't know why you make zero attempts of giving Deebo a carry.

Meanwhile, even with the running game doing nothing, passing out of play action was very effective.

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#298 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:10 am

thesack12 wrote:

Yeah, Trey is carrying a 25/48 for 354 yards (7.4 YAT) line.

If you take out that one 76 yard broken play where Seattle just flat out didn't cover Deebo, that puts Lance at 24/47 for 278 yards (5.9 YAT.)

I also saw a stat where Lance is only 2/9 on passes that traveled more than 10 yards in the air. That's 10 yards total, not 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

He has been pretty poor in the passing game. But going beyond the common stats, he has had 11 passes batted down/deflected which means he is staring down his receivers and telegraphing his passes. He is pretty hesitant to the throw the ball. He has yet to recognize what being open looks like in the NFL. He also almost always looks to run at the first sign of pressure, instead of trying to extending the play and keeping his eyes downfield in case a receiver comes open. The game film review showed him missing several plays and leaving a lot of yards on the field. His mechanics and accuracy need a lot of cleaning up, and he just doesn't have a good feel for the required pre-snap reads/recognition and calling out protections.

Considering how inexperienced he is, all of this is to be expected. Really you could make a case that he's ahead in his development considering his experience level.

Still at this point, he's much more of an athlete than a quarterback. Until he gets to a certain threshold of capability with most QB skills/duties/responsibilities, just throwing him out there can be detrimental to his long term development.

Most of these issues are only correctable with experience which is the conundrum the team faces because the best move for the future is to get him out there now and get that experience but the safest move for now is to stick with Jimmy G.

I'm not much of a believer into the notion you could "ruin" a QB by starting him too early because I believe the two main factors in a QB being ruined are either the QB didn't have "it" in the first place or the team he's on is a dysfunctional mess and sometimes it's both. QBs that start their rookie years typically are drafted high to bad teams that are poorly run which is one big reason they ultimately fail not necessarily because they were thrown in there too soon. We've seen rookie QBs start their first year develop just fine and usually the common denominator is a quality coaching staff and organization.

I get why they'd stick with Jimmy though because we the pundit class simply aren't wired to think like those on the inside do. While we believe that the team has virtually no shot at winning a Super Bowl even if it makes the playoffs so might as well raise our chances for next season the organization is thinking that if they can just get to the playoffs and clean a few issues up they can make a run.

For me though the Jimmy G offense has crashed its head on its ceiling and while again I don't strictly point the finger at Jimmy only I don't see him doing anything to make it dramatically better either. For me the smarter bet is to start Lance, hope you win some games while taking your lumps, and maybe towards the end of the season he's more comfortable and the offense is more explosive while being less of a bumpy ride with Lance at the helm. And even if that doesn't happen you'll still have gotten Lance some much needed snaps and experience that will give him a solid foundation to build on next season.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#299 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:06 pm

This is the most frustrating loss of the season. The team failed in every aspect of the game. The offense started out great with Mitchell gashing the Colt's defense with big runs and Shanahan just abandoned it with some bizzare play calls before the Colts were even able to stop what the 49ers were doing on offense. Aiyuk still a nonfactor. On defense it looks like the secondary forgot how to play coverage. I think the Eagles made more yards in pass interference calls than actual pass completions. The coverage on some of the plays were good but the corner didn't turn to make a play on the ball instead were grabbing the wide receivers drawing penalties. Seems like Chip Kelly's secondary all over again. And the run defense was spotty. Made some good stops but also gave up too many big runs. When the 49ers finally got the offense going and scored a TD in the second half, the defense let the Colts move right down the field and gave it right back. The team is in a funk right now. I heard booing last night at the stadium at the end of the first half. I don't recall that happening with Shanny before where it appeared directed at the whole team. And the fans are really starting to turn on Shanahan now looking at all the comments in forty niner sites this morning. If Aiyuk and other players end up being bust and this season goes into the tank, does York need to begin making some changes? Possibly making changes to the FO and taking personnel decisions away from Shanahan? Can't keep missing on draft picks and if Lance does not work out this could spell the end of this regime.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#300 » by Samurai » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:44 pm

Like most of our losses this season, this was a very winnable game. O-line was again very inconsistent; looked great opening holes on the first drive of the game and gave Jimmy time to throw on the TD drive in the second half. Outside of those two drives, not so much. Secondary was just garbage, as they have been all year. I'm starting to wonder if we even have DB coaches and what they must be thinking every time they cash a paycheck for their "performance". Jimmy needs better protection and he's not going to get it with Brunskill and McGlinchey. If our O-line refuses to pass protect, at least Lance can scramble away from the rush and pick up some yards; we just need to teach him how to slide and/or run out of bounds. We have a lot more holes than just one or two guys.

Return to San Francisco 49ers