ImageImageImageImageImage

GDT: 49ERS VS CHIEFS

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Re: GDT: 49ERS VS CHIEFS 

Post#321 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:21 am

Man, what a heart-breaking loss. To me, this one is worse than Baltimore because we had it and we choked it away. Baltimore outplayed us. Here, we beat ourselves.

I can't see blaming the D here. Sure, they allowed a crucial drive for a TD when we needed a stop, but they effectively held Mahomes and the Chiefs to 24. That's a good outing for any D. The offense lost this one for us. I think there's blame to go around between Shanahan and Garoppolo, but the playcalling was disastrous as the end. After not punting for three quarters, we had three chances to score and win the game and we couldn't do a damn thing. We had no answers for their blitzes. Got to mostly put that on Shanahan, but Garoppolo has to see it and get the ball out. It's odd, but that's something he was much better at in his five-game stint in 2017. Now he seems to freeze in the face of pressure and make just awful decisions (today, the INT, that bizarre third-and-long where he slipped the first tackler, had time to make a throw, and just ran for like two yards).

Once again, we get the ball with plenty of time to end the first half and we do nothing. That's inexcusable to me. All season we've done that BS, and it's cost us. First game against Seattle, we had the ball with like 40 seconds from our 19, one TO, and we kneel it out. Against Baltimore we dinked and dunked it down and missed a 50-yard FG. Second game against Seattle was a win, but barely. We got the ball at our 31 with 45 seconds and two TOs and we don't even try to score. And then today, we let them take like 50 seconds off the clock by not calling a TO after they didn't pick up third down. Kind of try, but don't, then run out of time because we had to go long to Kittle and he pushed off (that was PI, even though it was unnecessary). Lynch was begging for a TO. Shanahan sucks at game management. He needs to bring someone in to do that for him.

There are lots of things to like with Garoppolo, but he's also got plenty of issues, too, and I don't see real improvement. He can't throw the deep ball really at all, though the ball to Kittle today was probably the best that he's ever thrown. Without the deep, he needs to be perfect on the other stuff. And he's not. He doesn't see the field well at all. He's late in his reads. His pocket presence is mediocre, and once he's out of rhythm, it's almost as bad as Alex Smith rolling right at full speed. You just know the play is over. Whoever was saying that our passing game is inhibited because we don't have fast receivers, I disagree. It's inhibited because our QB can't hit deep balls consistently. Even on his completions this year, the ball has almost always been badly overthrown. Why worry about getting beaten deep when you know a) the QB probably isn't looking deep, b) the OL probably can't hold up long enough to get deep, and c) even if the QB throws deep, it probably won't be accurate? There have been plenty of good and even great QBs who haven't been great at the deep ball, but again, there isn't room for error elsewhere.

We're not going to go knee-jerk and can Shanahan or Garoppolo. And I can forgive Shanahan for this choke job because he's still the best playcaller in the league. But if he can't win with this QB, then we need to move on. Garoppolo has to show something more this next season, that he can elevate the team around him. Right now, we're not there.

I know this ended up as more of a Garoppolo rant, and really I do hold Shanahan like 87% responsible for this one. But it's pretty clear that he's being held back by the QB play.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#322 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:33 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, what a heart-breaking loss. To me, this one is worse than Baltimore because we had it and we choked it away. Baltimore outplayed us. Here, we beat ourselves.

I can't see blaming the D here. Sure, they allowed a crucial drive for a TD when we needed a stop, but they effectively held Mahomes and the Chiefs to 24. That's a good outing for any D. The offense lost this one for us. I think there's blame to go around between Shanahan and Garoppolo, but the playcalling was disastrous as the end. After not punting for three quarters, we had three chances to score and win the game and we couldn't do a damn thing. We had no answers for their blitzes. Got to mostly put that on Shanahan, but Garoppolo has to see it and get the ball out. It's odd, but that's something he was much better at in his five-game stint in 2017. Now he seems to freeze in the face of pressure and make just awful decisions (today, the INT, that bizarre third-and-long where he slipped the first tackler, had time to make a throw, and just ran for like two yards).

Once again, we get the ball with plenty of time to end the first half and we do nothing. That's inexcusable to me. All season we've done that BS, and it's cost us. First game against Seattle, we had the ball with like 40 seconds from our 19, one TO, and we kneel it out. Against Baltimore we dinked and dunked it down and missed a 50-yard FG. Second game against Seattle was a win, but barely. We got the ball at our 31 with 45 seconds and two TOs and we don't even try to score. And then today, we let them take like 50 seconds off the clock by not calling a TO after they didn't pick up third down. Kind of try, but don't, then run out of time because we had to go long to Kittle and he pushed off (that was PI, even though it was unnecessary). Lynch was begging for a TO. Shanahan sucks at game management. He needs to bring someone in to do that for him.

There are lots of things to like with Garoppolo, but he's also got plenty of issues, too, and I don't see real improvement. He can't throw the deep ball really at all, though the ball to Kittle today was probably the best that he's ever thrown. Without the deep, he needs to be perfect on the other stuff. And he's not. He doesn't see the field well at all. He's late in his reads. His pocket presence is mediocre, and once he's out of rhythm, it's almost as bad as Alex Smith rolling right at full speed. You just know the play is over. Whoever was saying that our passing game is inhibited because we don't have fast receivers, I disagree. It's inhibited because our QB can't hit deep balls consistently. Even on his completions this year, the ball has almost always been badly overthrown. Why worry about getting beaten deep when you know a) the QB probably isn't looking deep, b) the OL probably can't hold up long enough to get deep, and c) even if the QB throws deep, it probably won't be accurate? There have been plenty of good and even great QBs who haven't been great at the deep ball, but again, there isn't room for error elsewhere.

We're not going to go knee-jerk and can Shanahan or Garoppolo. And I can forgive Shanahan for this choke job because he's still the best playcaller in the league. But if he can't win with this QB, then we need to move on. Garoppolo has to show something more this next season, that he can elevate the team around him. Right now, we're not there.

I know this ended up as more of a Garoppolo rant, and really I do hold Shanahan like 87% responsible for this one. But it's pretty clear that he's being held back by the QB play.

Garoppolo never hits his receivers in stride. I first noticed that it was a huge problem when we played Arizona the first time. That long TD pass to Kittle, he had to stop for a mili second because the pass was under thrown. Even though we scored I got so worried because at that moment I knew we had a huge problem in our hands. Same thing with the Sanders TD catch against the saints. I mean he’s always under throwing someone. Deebo once today and Sanders as well. The one for Sanders even the announcers realized that the completed catch could have possibly gone for much more longer.

As far as Kyle Shanahan goes, for the life of me I just can’t find a reason why in the second half he stopped giving Deebo the ball on those jet sweeps!? The chiefs couldn’t stop it.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#323 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:34 am

Jimmy G is holding us back. We would of won with a competent QB
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#324 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:38 am

Jimmy was like 17/19 at one point...
thesack12
RealGM

Post#325 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:41 am

The part that really stings is 9ers had the ball up by 10 points with like 11 minutes remaining. 9ers were really one or two plays away from breaking the game wide open and winning it handily.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 821

Post#326 » by arich35 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:44 am

Dodub wrote:Jimmy G is holding us back. We would of won with a competent QB

Holding us back but we just won the NFC Championship and 3 quarters of a Super Bowl after going 4-12 and Jimmy's first year starting. This was a hell of a turn around and we aren't as good without Jimmy.Would like to give him at least 2 full years before we say he is holding us back.
Nobody wants to say it now but Mahomes had much worse passes than Jimmy. Chris Jones made a couple good plays at the line when we had a guy open when he tipped the pass twice. I feel like Kyle went away from the run after KC scored to make it a three point game, we had 2nd and 5 with the clock running and we decide to throw. We stopped doing reverses with Deebo that were working every single time. No screens when they kept bringing the blitz. Not blaming this all on Jimmy at all. Before the final three drives I think he had 3-4 incompletions all game.
xLord Juicex
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#327 » by xLord Juicex » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:49 am

Sickness is the biggest F’ing jinx on this board, please man, just STFU when it comes to the 49ers.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#328 » by Dodub » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:51 am

arich35 wrote:

Holding us back but we just won the NFC Championship and 3 quarters of a Super Bowl after going 4-12 and Jimmy's first year starting. This was a hell of a turn around and we aren't as good without Jimmy.Would like to give him at least 2 full years before we say he is holding us back.
Nobody wants to say it now but Mahomes had much worse passes than Jimmy. Chris Jones made a couple good plays at the line when we had a guy open when he tipped the pass twice. I feel like Kyle went away from the run after KC scored to make it a three point game, we had 2nd and 5 with the clock running and we decide to throw. We stopped doing reverses with Deebo that were working every single time. No screens when they kept bringing the blitz. Not blaming this all on Jimmy at all. Before the final three drives I think he had 3-4 incompletions all game.

His cap numbers are astronomical. He’s stopping us from getting more players AND playing Medicore at the same time.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#329 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:53 am

thesack12 wrote:Jimmy was like 17/19 at one point...

And then went 3-12 to end the game. That's on coach and QB, IMO.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#330 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 4:54 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

Sure it is... along with the O-line not being to protect worth a damn.

The no call on that clear offsides by KC didn't help either
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#331 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:25 am

xLord Juicex wrote:Sickness is the biggest F’ing jinx on this board, please man, just STFU when it comes to the 49ers.

lol what did sick do, i didn't bother checking in once the game started.

I started the GDT like i was supposed to, I don't know what went wrong, it should have worked.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#332 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:30 am

I don't know why people are blaming Jimmy, we all know it's Skip Bayless's fault. He picked us. His power of being wrong was more powerful than my GDT powers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#333 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:35 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

They were sending blitzes every time. We needed to find ways to beat that and didn't.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#334 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 3, 2020 5:42 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

They were sending blitzes every time. We needed to find ways to beat that and didn't.

Agreed, and its unfair for Jimmy to shoulder all that blame. Its hard to be effective when you are constantly getting pressure up the gut right in your face.

Even Mahomes made poor decisions/had a handful of bad plays when the 9ers were wreaking havoc in his pocket.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#335 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:03 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Agreed, and its unfair for Jimmy to shoulder all that blame. Its hard to be effective when you are constantly getting pressure up the gut right in your face.

Even Mahomes made poor decisions/had a handful of bad plays when the 9ers were wreaking havoc in his pocket.

Was Staley out at the end of the game? I was so stressed I didn't notice, but i read an article that said he was out of the 2nd half with a hand injury. is that true?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#336 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:06 am

Copied & pasted from 1Z's derp thread on Shannahan.

1Z's extreme derp notwithstanding...

1. WTF is up with Shannahan not going for points before half time? He did it again! Another field goal, and that game could have had a different outcome. That's inexcusable. :noway:

2. Going for a home-run ball with 1:30 left on the clock? Even if Sanders scored, the Chiefs would've had more than enough time to come back & win. :crazy:

3. Settling for field goals against the friggn' chiefs is not a winning strategy. If it's 4th & 2 inside the 35, you friggn' go for it against that team. If you only make it half the time, that's 3.5 points per drive instead of 3. It's not like the Niners were playing a team with a stingy D and a crappy offense. :roll:

That said, I'm much more disappointed in Jimmy than in Shannahan. If he can't win it with this great of a supporting cast, I don't know that he's ever going to.

But I'm the most disappointed in... none other than... MIKE FREEKING PERSON!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: It's his fault Jimmy threw that pick. CUT THAT MAN!!! They should've started Brunskill. :noway:
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#337 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:09 am

Bald Bull wrote:
xLord Juicex wrote:Sickness is the biggest F’ing jinx on this board, please man, just STFU when it comes to the 49ers.

I started the GDT like i was supposed to, I don't know what went wrong, it should have worked.

:roll: Wow, xLord. That's about as crybaby a post as I've ever seen on RealGM. I used my message-board super powers to bless the Chiefs, huh?

Cry into your pillow, not the forum.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#338 » by Bald Bull » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:12 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:

:roll: Wow, xLord. That's about as crybaby a post as I've ever seen on RealGM. I used my message-board super powers to bless the Chiefs, huh?

Cry into your pillow, not the forum.

what did you do? you must have did something wrong lol
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#339 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:20 am

Bald Bull wrote:[what did you do? you must have did something wrong lol

I committed the cardinal sin of predicting a 49ers victory, so I blessed the Chiefs with reverse my super powers. :x Almost as impressive as this dude's crybaby powers.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#340 » by NinerSickness » Mon Feb 3, 2020 6:22 am

I'm starting to agree with this. The Chiefs are not the 2013 Seahawks on defense. If he can't get a few first downs on that D over the course of 2 drives... with that much help on offense... I don't know that he's ever going to be good enough. We're not talking about a rookie or 2nd-year player who could still develop.

Maybe it's time to trade him, spend the money on a CB, RB & WR (and tag Armstead), draft some depth and give it a try with BDN.

...And cut Mike Person, for f**k's sake. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Return to San Francisco 49ers