2023 Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#81 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:05 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Rumors circulating that Denver might tear it down before the trade deadline. Surprisingly there is chatter that Patrick Surtain might even be available.

Surtain is a legit elite corner, and would transform this defense. However, this regime has historically shown that they aren't all that interested in investing at CB. So they would have to buck that trend to become a player for Surtain's services.

Then the cost factor is the biggest key to the potential equation. I doubt something like '24 1st, '24 3rd, '25 3rd would get it done. The conversation would likely have to start with '24 1st & '25 1st, especially since those picks are likely to be very late 1st rounders.

So its probably not in the cards to make a move for Surtain, but man would he be an incredible addition and look amazing in a 9er uniform.

I hope they do make some kind of a move to bring in some help at CB. Its easily the weakest position group on the team.

I read they are dumping Frank Clark, not that I would ever want him in a 49er uniform

Yeah, I kind of hate Frank Clark. Though he's been a good pass rusher at times.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,333

Post#82 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:41 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Drake Jackson had a good first week and then kinda fell off the map. Concerned this might be another first round pick that does not work out. Ferrell was a stretch to become a good pass rusher. Hopefully Gregory provides something.

He was a 2nd round pick, he is still young

Yes, he still young but expect to see more from that position during a second season. I usually don't see outside pass rushers ever doing much if they haven't shown anything after a couple of seasons.

Could be worse, the Raiders top pick this year, Tyree Wilson, isn't doing much. Supposedly poor PFF grades.

Rookie so early to judge but he was the #9 pick of the draft.
wco81
RealGM

Post#83 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:44 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Rumors circulating that Denver might tear it down before the trade deadline. Surprisingly there is chatter that Patrick Surtain might even be available.

Surtain is a legit elite corner, and would transform this defense. However, this regime has historically shown that they aren't all that interested in investing at CB. So they would have to buck that trend to become a player for Surtain's services.

Then the cost factor is the biggest key to the potential equation. I doubt something like '24 1st, '24 3rd, '25 3rd would get it done. The conversation would likely have to start with '24 1st & '25 1st, especially since those picks are likely to be very late 1st rounders.

So its probably not in the cards to make a move for Surtain, but man would he be an incredible addition and look amazing in a 9er uniform.

I hope they do make some kind of a move to bring in some help at CB. Its easily the weakest position group on the team.

I read they are dumping Frank Clark, not that I would ever want him in a 49er uniform

Yeah, I kind of hate Frank Clark. Though he's been a good pass rusher at times.

I wouldn't advocate that the 49ers pick him up but did he start for the Seahawks when they won the SB?

Or the Chiefs when they won one or two of their SBs?

Reality is, other teams are drafting and playing these guys with off field problems.

Tyreek Hill is another guy.

And Mixon with the Bengals.

Seems like those teams don't get too much blowback. They're celebrated for being winners.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#84 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:40 pm

Clark definitely started for KC in the SB against us. Not sure about Seattle. I feel like he missed that one.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#85 » by Jikkle » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:38 am

You know I do find myself agreeing with some of the analysts that say Shanahan's playcalling has changed a bit with Purdy at the helm.

Thinking about that big completion to Deebo when it was 3 and 14 I don't think in that situation with a lead in the 2nd half he calls that kind of play with Jimmy at the helm. I think he would've gone with a safe and conservative play and just punted the ball away.

So it makes you wonder if Kyle has changed in general or if he always wanted to call games like this but didn't trust his QBs enough to just let it rip like he really wanted to all along.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#86 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:02 pm

Jikkle wrote:You know I do find myself agreeing with some of the analysts that say Shanahan's playcalling has changed a bit with Purdy at the helm.

Thinking about that big completion to Deebo when it was 3 and 14 I don't think in that situation with a lead in the 2nd half he calls that kind of play with Jimmy at the helm. I think he would've gone with a safe and conservative play and just punted the ball away.

So it makes you wonder if Kyle has changed in general or if he always wanted to call games like this but didn't trust his QBs enough to just let it rip like he really wanted to all along.

I don't know.

Sure we've seen remnants of Kyle being more aggressive. Like the play you mentioned as well as having Moody attempt that 55 + yard field goal against the Rams.

Still, we've also seen the classic conservative Kyle as well. For example last week just before the half, 9ers got the ball back with like 1:50 left and still had all 3 timeouts. Yet, Kyle went ultra conservative and was content to go into the half, even with Dallas set to receive the 2nd half kickoff.

So maybe the new personnel at QB and K have swifted his thought process a bit, but it seems like he just has a conservative coaching style by nature.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#87 » by arich35 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:25 pm

Jikkle wrote:You know I do find myself agreeing with some of the analysts that say Shanahan's playcalling has changed a bit with Purdy at the helm.

I'm not sure if his play calling has changed much or that Purdy actually can see and throw the routes that are 10+ yards downfield. Was Jimmy just not good at seeing those routes open up?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#88 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:53 pm

arich35 wrote:

I'm not sure if his play calling has changed much or that Purdy actually can see and throw the routes that are 10+ yards downfield. Was Jimmy just not good at seeing those routes open up?

Deeper plays take longer, and McGlinchey. Brock is better than Jimmy at buying time, either by outright scrambling or just with subtle pocket movements…I think in part due to his size he’s had to become fantastic at that, and at throwing right in the face of pressure. To be fair to Jimmy, though he was never as mobile as Brock, before the catalogue of fairly serious injuries he was better than he is now, and he used to stand and deliver with unflinching nerve as well as anyone. He never got to the ‘seeing ghosts’ stage, but all the injuries did erode his confidence in crumbling pockets a bit over time. Not, imo, unreasonably.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM

Post#89 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Remember how Jimmy blew out his ACL? He ran for some yardage and instead of running out of bounds, he cut inside at the last minute.

After that, he threw quickly and rarely tried to extend plays or run for positive yardage.

Jimmy looked poor on Monday Night. His defense bailed him out.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#90 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:05 pm

Yeah, there's no way he calls that play with Jimmy at the helm.
wco81
RealGM

Post#91 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:47 pm

This is a good reality check on the season.

After last week, I think the 49ers got too full of themselves.

But they really didn't shore up their weaknesses from last year. They were no better than the 3rd best team and there was really no reason to believe they'd be better than the Chiefs or the Eagles.

We all knew the Achilles Heel was the OL, especially the right side, and the secondary.

Unfortunately, the strengths of top teams like the Chiefs and the Eagles are well-suited to exploit these weaknesses, because they're among the leaders in pass rush win rate.

And a distressing pattern is that the 49ers best young players who signed big contracts may have peaked already. Will Deebo again be the player he was before he was extended? Will Kittle ever be a monster in the passing game again? And of course Bosa signs a record contract and it remains to be seen if he can sustain DPOY levels of play but it's going to be difficult because its such a high bar.

It's a long season, so anything can happen. Maybe other top teams suffer key injuries. Browns lost one of the top RBs in the league and their starting QB but it didn't matter, they beat the 49ers. Yes bad officiating and bad breaks but it shouldn't have been this close.

Also, a 3rd round pick on a kicker may be something they come to regret. I know they couldn't pay Gould but it's a big price they paid for this guy.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#92 » by Jikkle » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:13 pm

wco81 wrote:This is a good reality check on the season.

After last week, I think the 49ers got too full of themselves.

But they really didn't shore up their weaknesses from last year. They were no better than the 3rd best team and there was really no reason to believe they'd be better than the Chiefs or the Eagles.

We all knew the Achilles Heel was the OL, especially the right side, and the secondary.

Unfortunately, the strengths of top teams like the Chiefs and the Eagles are well-suited to exploit these weaknesses, because they're among the leaders in pass rush win rate.

And a distressing pattern is that the 49ers best young players who signed big contracts may have peaked already. Will Deebo again be the player he was before he was extended? Will Kittle ever be a monster in the passing game again? And of course Bosa signs a record contract and it remains to be seen if he can sustain DPOY levels of play but it's going to be difficult because its such a high bar.

It's a long season, so anything can happen. Maybe other top teams suffer key injuries. Browns lost one of the top RBs in the league and their starting QB but it didn't matter, they beat the 49ers. Yes bad officiating and bad breaks but it shouldn't have been this close.

Also, a 3rd round pick on a kicker may be something they come to regret. I know they couldn't pay Gould but it's a big price they paid for this guy.

The offensive line will cost us a chance to win a SB unless we somehow avoid the Eagles and Chiefs but mainly the Eagles because I feel they perfectly match up against us on both sides of the ball.

I understand the philosophy of not investing a ton of capital in the offensive line because offensive line play in general isn't great league wide and way behind defensive line play but you still have to have to be at least average to slightly above average along the line and it's simply not except for Trent.

Never understood why we so heavily focus on the defensive line and rightly so but spend absolutely nothing on the offensive line. Again I get not spending top dollar in FA to land guys because you just end up spending top dollar for a guy like McGlinchey but at least spend some higher draft capital on offensive linemen until you get it right.

It's hard to say if Deebo or Kittle have peaked or if it's just that aren't the primary focus of the offense like they were when they had their big years. With Kittle's big year he was basically the only talented receiver so he got most of the targets but now because the offensive line is so piss poor he has to stay in and block. With Deebo's big year he basically became RB1 and got an insane amount of touches but with CMC in the fold he's not really needed for those touches. So I think rather than peaked it's more the fact there is 4 major options on offense so nobody is really a focal point on offense.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#93 » by Jikkle » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:16 pm

On the bright side at least the Seahawks lost so that still gives us a game up on them and if the Eagles would go ahead and lose that will make the loss sting far less.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#94 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:28 am

Williams (low ankle sprain) and Deebo (shoulder) are day to day
CMC was getting an MRI at press conference time so no word
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#95 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:19 pm

The Lions may actually be a legit threat for the number one seed. Their schedule is cake. The only winning teams that remain with 11 games left are Baltimore and Dallas. In 11 games, they only play four against teams with a .500 record or better. They'll sleepwalk to a division title.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#96 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:18 pm

And the Eagles have a downright brutal schedule (he says immediately after trading for Jalen Hurts in fantasy). Miami, Dallas twice, KC, Buffalo, in Seattle, and us.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#97 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:47 pm

Apparently all of Deebo, Trent, CMC are carrying "day to day" statuses. Which is a sigh of relief, as all seem to have avoided anything serious and long term.

Would have been nice if the bye fell this week, as it would help them dudes (and Greenlaw) heal up before another kickoff.

Playing Monday night, and having that extra day will help. But until we see the practice reports later this week we have to consider all 3 of those guys (and Greenlaw) questionable for MNF.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#98 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:The Lions may actually be a legit threat for the number one seed. Their schedule is cake. The only winning teams that remain with 11 games left are Baltimore and Dallas. In 11 games, they only play four against teams with a .500 record or better. They'll sleepwalk to a division title.

Yeah, MCDC has them Lions roaring.

They are for sure a seeding threat. These aren't your Dad's or Grandpa's Lions. Them dudes can play on both sides of the ball.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#99 » by thesack12 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:05 am

Hopefully CMC's injury is a bit of a wake up call for Kyle and he's now realized that he needs to dial back Christians' usage a bit. Not having him on the field completely transforms the offense, so I get its hard to not put him on the field. But he's going to be needed down the road when the stakes get ratcheted up. 9ers can manage not having CMC out there for 10-15 plays per game. Granted his impact in the passing game will be impossible to remotely replicate, but gotta keep him healthy.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#100 » by CharityStripe34 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:19 pm

Sloppy loss, but it may be one of those "blessing in disguise" losses to humble the team a bit. I still think the 49ers are a top three 3-4 team. Right side of the o-line has to be addressed, though.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to San Francisco 49ers