And1: 225

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6821 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:58 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#6822 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 6, 2023 10:24 pm

Derek Carr to the Saints. Interesting move for them. They are already well past the cap limit, so they're going to have to make some pretty significant cuts.

Assuming Lamar, Geno, and Daniel Jones all return to their teams, that would leave Jimmy as the presumed #1 QB on the market. SHOULD return a third-round comp for us, at least. Here's to hoping. We need all the high-quality picks we can get.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6823 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:54 pm

I really liked him coming out of college. I think we should at least bring him in as a camp body. He might surprise everyone.

N'Keal Harry

Bills hosted free agent WR N’Keal Harry for a workout.

Fellow wide receiver Andy Isabella also worked out for the Bills. The team signed Isabella after the workout, so it looks like Harry will remain a free agent for now. Harry caught seven passes for 116 yards and a lone touchdown in eight games with the Bears last season.
Source: Aaron Wilson
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#6824 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 1, 2023 12:26 am

Forget where but on a podcast, someone noted that ARod was talking about getting equity in the Jets.

Instead, he gives up $35 million in guaranteed cast from his deal signed with the Packers, which will allow the Jets some cap flexibility to sign other players.

Hmm, could it be a stealth deal to circumvent the cap?
wco81
RealGM

Post#6825 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:16 pm

Hardknocks with the NY Jets featured a bit of Salah of course.

His speeches seem pretty basic for a football coach, full of cursing and appeals to machismo. Doesn't really seem like a very inspirational figure. Maybe he's like Shanahan, good with the schematics but not really the guy who rouses the troops.

In fact some speculate that Ryans is potentially a better HC and he got even better performance out of the 49ers defense than Salah did, which led to his hire.

I don't know how much he does game planning as HC or if he calls any defensive plays.

His DC, which I didn't know before watching Hard Knocks, is also a former 49er, Jeff Ulbrich. I didn't realize he was in coaching. He must have been with the 49ers as well and he followed Salah to the jets, to be promoted to DC.

Well they' had a very good defense, drafted one of the top CBs as a rookie and of course the Jets had some top 5 or top 3 picks on defense like Quinnen Williams, who signed the big extension.

Ulbrich is more vocal among the assistants, maybe even more vocal than Salah. Maybe in a couple of years, if the Jets defense holds up, he will be in line for a HC job.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6826 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 5:39 pm

Stafford is just throwing dimes.

Only thing that may derail him from having a big season would be injuries.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#6827 » by arich35 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:44 pm

I expect a lot of running next week against the Eagles and getting CMC out of the backfield
wco81
RealGM

Post#6828 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:53 am

arich35 wrote:I expect a lot of running next week against the Eagles and getting CMC out of the backfield

Eagles have given up a lot of points. But that defense still makes many big plays including key turnovers.

That offense is tremendous too. I think it's way better than the Seattle offenses at their best. Hurts can make plays with his feet but has playmakers at both WRs and TE positions. Philly doesn't have a RB like Lynch but they have a dominant OL, which may actually be better because they make huge plays downfield with the protection.

Still they had to rely on a 59-yard FG to get to OT vs. Bills and lucked out that Allen didn't burn the zero blitz in OT and had to settle for a FG.

That may be the only way to beat them, score over 30 points and try to net out 1 or 2 turnovers and hang on for a 1-score win.

I heard before this game Hurts was among the leaders in tight-window scoring passes.

But Brown and Smith will win a lot of 50-50 balls even on contested catches. Smith, if you single cover him man can run past the CB too.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,837

Post#6829 » by SK21209 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:28 pm

wco81 wrote:
arich35 wrote:I expect a lot of running next week against the Eagles and getting CMC out of the backfield

Eagles have given up a lot of points. But that defense still makes many big plays including key turnovers.

That offense is tremendous too. I think it's way better than the Seattle offenses at their best. Hurts can make plays with his feet but has playmakers at both WRs and TE positions. Philly doesn't have a RB like Lynch but they have a dominant OL, which may actually be better because they make huge plays downfield with the protection.

Still they had to rely on a 59-yard FG to get to OT vs. Bills and lucked out that Allen didn't burn the zero blitz in OT and had to settle for a FG.

That may be the only way to beat them, score over 30 points and try to net out 1 or 2 turnovers and hang on for a 1-score win.

I heard before this game Hurts was among the leaders in tight-window scoring passes.

But Brown and Smith will win a lot of 50-50 balls even on contested catches. Smith, if you single cover him man can run past the CB too.

The Eagles defense has been giving up points but that pass rush seems to show up in clutch situations. Offensively, it feels like they mess around for one or two quarters and then remember they have one of the best WRs in the league and force feed Brown and Smith the ball.

We've been great on our opening drives, we need to jump on them early and let our defensive line bring us home. Seems like a decent chance Lane Johnson is out again, that would be huge.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6830 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:59 pm

Ndamukong Suh was a freak of nature for real:
https://youtube.com/shorts/8p08_m4CacU?si=oBFiEYMgDORzVcIB
wco81
RealGM

Post#6831 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:21 pm

Nick Mullen went from almost hero to goat (not GOAT) in one pass play.

Oh well, he could have helped the 49ers ward off Detroit from HFA but couldn't.

Two interceptions including the game-clinching one at the goal line.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#6832 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:31 am

Would have been nice if Vikings beat the Lions, but the Cowboys lost. Hopefully the Giants can pull off a surprise
wco81
RealGM

Post#6833 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:38 am

Lamar is playing best. He now knows when to run, like Mahomes, except he’s much faster so while Mahomes gets big first downs with runs with his runs, Lamar is making 20, 30 or longer runs, which will break any defense.

Hard for opposing defenses to match points with Ravesn offense against their defense.

Maybe Bills or Chiefs, whichever team wins tomorrow.

Return to San Francisco 49ers