Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6761 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 am

arich35 wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
arich35 wrote:I just don't understand why you wouldn't make the Chiefs field the kick. Same thing we did against the Packers in Week 3

13 seconds though. No **** excuse as a coordinator or defensive player.

Well I agree but still, why not force them to waste more time? Even if he breaks it off to the 50 that takes 10 seconds off the clock

I had time to think about it a bit more and you made more sense. They definitely should have kicked it that way to shave off at least 2 / 3 seconds off the clock.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#6762 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:03 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
arich35 wrote:I just don't understand why you wouldn't make the Chiefs field the kick. Same thing we did against the Packers in Week 3

Yeah poor prevent defense.

Still these teams are impossible to stop if the QBs are using their legs as weapons.

If you run man, Mahomes or Allen will run on you, wear out the DL.

If you run zone but don’t get to the QB, KC will pick you apart with Kelce or Hill taking a 5 yard drag the distance.

Blowout of the Bengals and I don’t see either the Rams or 49ers putting up 35-40 points which is what the Chiefs will score.

Only chance is the DL absolutely dominates the KC OL but that isn’t going to happen. They just need to buy Mahomes time enough to get outside so a DL playing contain won’t get pressure on him.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#6763 » by zman1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:52 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

Well I agree but still, why not force them to waste more time? Even if he breaks it off to the 50 that takes 10 seconds off the clock

I had time to think about it a bit more and you made more sense. They definitely should have kicked it that way to shave off at least 2 / 3 seconds off the clock.
Yup. 13 seconds was enough for 2 plays and a kick. 10 or fewer and they only get one play. Very stupid. Come on this is Mahomes and company .

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
wco81
RealGM

Post#6764 » by wco81 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:30 pm

Giants hire Daboll as HC. Probably to help develop Daniel Jones.

If Daboll repeats his magic on Josh Allen with Jones, it might be a missed opportunity for 49ers.

They are going to replace Shanahan since the team made a big run to make the playoffs and have at least made the NFCCG. They still might not have if the team failed to make the playoffs.

Have to see how Trey develops vs. whether Jones improves into a good starter under Daboll. 49ers should have an advantage since their offensive (and defense) infrastructure is better, with Pro Bowl talents in Deebo, Kittle, Williams.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6765 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:16 pm

Wow, KC blowing an 18-point lead, leaving points on the table at the end of the half.

That's almost as bad as the goal line slant in the Super Bowl by Seattle.

Somehow, Mahomes got scared to let it rip in the second half and when he did in OT, it led to tipped interception. Went from unstoppable in most of the Bills game and the first half to playing scared in the second half after blowing that possession at the end of the first half.

Unbelievable.

But everyone kept underestimating the Bengals almost throughout the playoffs -- maybe most people picked the Raiders against them too.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#6766 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:32 am

Josh McDaniels to the Raiders is pretty much a formality. It's been a decade since he was fired as head coach/de facto GM of the Broncos and spurning the Colts in 2018, he takes this job. Wonder how much control he'll have and what does he do with Derek Carr? It went south pretty quick in Denver, only lasted 2 seasons. Cutler to Chicago for Orton + picks was a very controversial trade. This is definitely the most intriguing hire of the cycle.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6767 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:28 pm

Mike Lombardi said on his podcast that Dolphins should hire Harbaugh than McDaniel or some other coordinator that they've been interviewing.

Ross has pledged not to hire Harbaugh away from Michigan.

But Harbaugh interviewed with the Vikings this weekend so Ross could say he's leaving Michigan anyways.

Says Miami is a better job than the Vikings. And he'd have all those 49ers draft picks to use as well.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#6768 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 4, 2022 10:20 pm

Have I mentioned that I hate the new pro bowl format, which basically kicks the SB team players off the squad, sticks new guys in their spot, and then those guys are considered "pro bowlers" for all intents and purposes? It's absurd. Couple years ago, something like eight QBs from one of the conferences were "pro bowlers."

This rant brought to you by Russell Wilson in the pro bowl after an entirely lackluster season in which he rushed back from injury, probably hurt his team, and struggled for a large chunk of the year on a team that didn't sniff the playoffs. Meanwhile, because he is in the super bowl, Matt Stafford is not a pro bowler this year.

And how in the world did Cousins and Wilson make it over Dak Prescott???
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#6769 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 1:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Have I mentioned that I hate the new pro bowl format, which basically kicks the SB team players off the squad, sticks new guys in their spot, and then those guys are considered "pro bowlers" for all intents and purposes? It's absurd. Couple years ago, something like eight QBs from one of the conferences were "pro bowlers."

This rant brought to you by Russell Wilson in the pro bowl after an entirely lackluster season in which he rushed back from injury, probably hurt his team, and struggled for a large chunk of the year on a team that didn't sniff the playoffs. Meanwhile, because he is in the super bowl, Matt Stafford is not a pro bowler this year.

I personally haven't give the pro bowl any attention for at least 10 years.

That being said, after reading your post and seeing you mention they had a new format I decided to go check the box score. I see there were SEVEN interceptions yet there was still 76 points scored. That sure seems like a terrible excuse for a football product being produced out there.

So I think i'll continue to move forward pretending like the pro bowl doesn't exist.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6770 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 7, 2022 7:57 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Have I mentioned that I hate the new pro bowl format, which basically kicks the SB team players off the squad, sticks new guys in their spot, and then those guys are considered "pro bowlers" for all intents and purposes? It's absurd. Couple years ago, something like eight QBs from one of the conferences were "pro bowlers."

That being said, after reading your post and seeing you mention they had a new format I decided to go check the box score. I see there were SEVEN interceptions yet there was still 76 points scored. That sure seems like a terrible excuse for a football product being produced out there.

So I think i'll continue to move forward pretending like the pro bowl doesn't exist.

Oh, I couldn't possibly care less about the actual pro bowl. But being named to the pro bowl is significant. It can dramatically affect HOF voting, for instance, general perceptions, and possibly even bonuses and things like that. I will confess that I'm not entirely certain of this, but so far as I'm aware, there is no way to differentiate the first team pro bowl guys from these third, fourth, or fifth alternates. So this year, when Wilson was at best mediocre and at worst pretty awful post-injury, and went on to average 4.5 YPA for 77 yards and two INTs in the pro bowl (again, not that that matters even a little, but it's a pretty pathetic stat line), he's still viewed the same way as Rodgers or Brady were in terms of being named to post-season honors simply because those two guys opted out.

Furthermore, Stafford isn't a pro bowl QB this year, solely because he led his team to the SB (presumably he would have been the first alternate). When his legacy is viewed, people may be like, "Hmmmm, he didn't even make the pro bowl the year he went to the SB. Maybe his team was carrying him." The pro bowl is always fairly subjective, but having so many guys named to it due to injuries, opt-outs, and SB replacements really weakens the pool of players and the significance of making a pro bowl.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6771 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Feb 8, 2022 5:03 pm

I realize I'm talking to myself, but to return to the last point about Stafford, if they're going to name a bunch of alternates anyway, they should just have the list and still name Super Bowl QBs. So this year, Stafford should have been the first alternate. So you name him, but then replace him with another alternate. It only exacerbates the problem of having too many pro bowlers, but it's awfully perverse that Mac Jones is a pro bowl QB this year while Stafford and Burrow are not.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6772 » by thesack12 » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:16 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Oh, I couldn't possibly care less about the actual pro bowl. But being named to the pro bowl is significant. It can dramatically affect HOF voting, for instance, general perceptions, and possibly even bonuses and things like that. I will confess that I'm not entirely certain of this, but so far as I'm aware, there is no way to differentiate the first team pro bowl guys from these third, fourth, or fifth alternates. So this year, when Wilson was at best mediocre and at worst pretty awful post-injury, and went on to average 4.5 YPA for 77 yards and two INTs in the pro bowl (again, not that that matters even a little, but it's a pretty pathetic stat line), he's still viewed the same way as Rodgers or Brady were in terms of being named to post-season honors simply because those two guys opted out.

Furthermore, Stafford isn't a pro bowl QB this year, solely because he led his team to the SB (presumably he would have been the first alternate). When his legacy is viewed, people may be like, "Hmmmm, he didn't even make the pro bowl the year he went to the SB. Maybe his team was carrying him." The pro bowl is always fairly subjective, but having so many guys named to it due to injuries, opt-outs, and SB replacements really weakens the pool of players and the significance of making a pro bowl.

The only distinction I know is being named an "All-Pro." But that is different than the tiers you are describing.

But I agree, there needs to be some sort of qualifier/deviation. I'd imagine that contract language regarding pro bowl related incentives account for those phantom token type of PB team selections. Of course I don't know this to be a fact, but I would have to think so. Getting voted in initially in the 1st wave should hold significantly more weight than being a injury/opt out replacement 4 times removed. And yes, I absolutely agree that players participating in the Super Bowl not being eligible is pretty ridiculous.

As for the game itself, the players rightfully don't want to do anything to risk injury so its a ridiculous excuse for a football game. Then you have the timing of it, the week before the super bowl. Which is doubly stupid. 1) It makes the super bowl players ineligible. 2) Most teams' seasons ended over a month ago. Players on those team should be knee deep in their offseason programs, going on vacation with their families, and any number of other things rather than packing up to go "play" in a completely unnecessary and meaningless football "game."

Other than naming All-Pros the entire pro bowl infrastructure/program is an absolute joke.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6773 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:55 am

Read on Twitter

This is awesome for the international NFL fans in those regions as they will get an opportunity to taste live NFL action. Its also good for the overall league brand growth.

Europe is a grueling trip for the team personnel, but usually the NFL gives the teams that participate a bye in the following week. So its usually a mitigated factor on that account.

However, its brutal for the "home" teams in those games. They get robbed of an actual home game and the competitive edge that comes with that.

Since they added the 17th game this season, eventually I can envision every team playing 1 global game per season. That way every team still has 8 legitimate home games and 8 road games, and 1 game on a neutral field.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6774 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:39 am

Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6775 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

What does this mean for us regarding Deebo!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6776 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:07 am

We’re dead!!

ALLEN ROBINSON
WR, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams signed Allen Robinson, formerly of the Bears, to a three-year, $46.5 million contract.

Coming off a down 2021 season, Robinson's deal with LA includes a whopping $30 million guaranteed. This could end speculation that Odell Beckham will return to the Rams in 2022 after suffering an ACL tear in the Super Bowl. Robinson alongside Cooper Kupp and a healthy Robert Woods would make for quite the receiver trio, perhaps the best in the league. A-Rob's horrific 2021 season -- in which the Bears coaching staff seemed uninterested in using him and he struggled to recover from a bout with COVID-19 -- might make it easy to forget his 2020 campaign, in which he went for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns on 102 catches. Robinson, who turns 29 in August, should have some juice left as a possession receiver and the second or third option for Matthew Stafford in LA. Robinson's signing likely ends Van Jefferson's role as an every-down wideout in the Rams offense.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 17, 2022, 3:39 PM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6777 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:32 pm

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,463

Post#6778 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 6, 2022 5:56 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Jets were willing to deal 10th overall pick for DK Metcalf, but Seahawks won’t listen to offers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/06/report-jets-were-willing-to-deal-10th-overall-pick-for-dk-metcalf-but-seahawks-wont-listen-to-offers/

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6779 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 6, 2022 10:20 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:We’re dead!!

ALLEN ROBINSON
WR, LOS ANGELES RAMS

Rams signed Allen Robinson, formerly of the Bears, to a three-year, $46.5 million contract.

Coming off a down 2021 season, Robinson's deal with LA includes a whopping $30 million guaranteed. This could end speculation that Odell Beckham will return to the Rams in 2022 after suffering an ACL tear in the Super Bowl. Robinson alongside Cooper Kupp and a healthy Robert Woods would make for quite the receiver trio, perhaps the best in the league. A-Rob's horrific 2021 season -- in which the Bears coaching staff seemed uninterested in using him and he struggled to recover from a bout with COVID-19 -- might make it easy to forget his 2020 campaign, in which he went for 1,250 yards and six touchdowns on 102 catches. Robinson, who turns 29 in August, should have some juice left as a possession receiver and the second or third option for Matthew Stafford in LA. Robinson's signing likely ends Van Jefferson's role as an every-down wideout in the Rams offense.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Mar 17, 2022, 3:39 PM ET

Late to respond to this, but I don't know that Robinson is any better than Woods at this point, and possibly worse. I don't see that move as having such a dramatic impact on the division. Granted if Beckham gets healthy and returns to them, they're going to have a nasty three-WR set.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6780 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Apr 6, 2022 10:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Jets were willing to deal 10th overall pick for DK Metcalf, but Seahawks won’t listen to offers

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/06/report-jets-were-willing-to-deal-10th-overall-pick-for-dk-metcalf-but-seahawks-wont-listen-to-offers/

Read on Twitter

I'm very interested to see what happens with Metcalf playing with a new QB - and frankly just in general. Dude is crazy talented, but he still doesn't seem entirely complete. He was generally well-suited to Wilson's strengths, but a QB who doesn't go downfield as much may not be able to utilize him to the same extent. Or, conversely, a QB who hits him earlier in the route may maximize his talents a bit more. I don't know, but curious to see.

Return to San Francisco 49ers