And1: 225

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6801 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Sep 5, 2022 3:51 pm

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#6802 » by Jikkle » Fri Sep 9, 2022 7:40 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:2022 B/R NFL Power Rankings: Where Does Every Team Stand Entering Week 1?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10047492-2022-br-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-entering-week-1

Can't argue too strongly against the list though I'd say it feels like the Cowboys and Colts are ranked too high and I'd say we're better than the 15 but I can't argue too strongly against the teams ahead of us and things will have to shake out before we rise.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#6803 » by Jikkle » Fri Sep 9, 2022 7:43 am

Rams did not look good at all against the Bills.

It's still way too early and I've seen teams that fell flat on their faces week 1 and end up fine in the long run.

Though even last year I was never super impressed with the Rams. They put it together for their playoff run but they never felt like this super talented well coached well oiled machine or anything.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#6804 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 9, 2022 9:15 pm

Jikkle wrote:Rams did not look good at all against the Bills.

It's still way too early and I've seen teams that fell flat on their faces week 1 and end up fine in the long run.

Though even last year I was never super impressed with the Rams. They put it together for their playoff run but they never felt like this super talented well coached well oiled machine or anything.

OL could be a bit of an issue for them. They lost Whitworth, a rookie who was slated to start got hurt. Noteboom, who had performed well in limited exposure, looked a little shaky on the edge. And Stafford looked flustered all night. But the Bills have a very good D.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#6805 » by thesack12 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:58 pm

yeah, LA's O-line looked quite bad. Granted, Buffalo has a great defense, but allowing 15 QB hits and 7 sacks is a godawful performance by the O-line. Especially considering, Buffalo blitzed exactly 0 times.

Stafford was also terrible. Granted he was under siege most of the game, but some of his decision making was downright bad. One of his 3 interceptions was an especially bad throw, that wasn't within like 8 yards of the receiver on a short route. His elbow is reportedly an issue, but he himself said it feels as good as it ever has, so who knows how much of a factor it is.

Allen Robinson was also completely invisible. Much was made about how good of an aquistion Robinson was for them, but the early returns don't look good.

Jalen Ramsey was also getting routinely roasted. He gave up a perfect passer rating, 100% completion percentage, 126 yards and 2 TD's when he was targeted on 6 passes.

Again, all this was against Buffalo who are a great team on both sides of the ball and the heavy Super Bowl favorites. So I don't know how much stock we should put into this 1 game. But as a 49ers fan, I certainly liked what I saw.

Rams should roll against the Falcons next week, but they have Arizona in week 3. That game against the Cards should give a decent look into what this year's Rams team will be like.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#6806 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:21 pm

Ahkello Witherspoon gets beat for a 44-yard jump ball TD by Nelson Agholor in the Pats-Steelers game.

He was there running with the WR, didn't look back soon enough and Agholor just jumped and grabbed the ball over him. Witherspoon was inside so he should have been able to get his hands on the ball first.

But that's his career, doesn't make plays on ball.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6807 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:57 am

MYLES GARRETT
EDGE, CLEVELAND BROWNS

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Browns EDGE Myles Garrett was released from the hospital Monday night.

Garrett will reportedly undergo more tests but any injuries he suffered are all non-life threatening. Garrett flipped his vehicle several times on his way home from practice Monday, reportedly losing control on a wet road while swerving to avoid an animal. The Browns' All-Pro EDGE rusher and his passenger both escaped with no major injuries. The team has not yet disclosed Garrett's status ahead of the team's Week 4 game against the Falcons.
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Sep 27, 2022, 9:49 AM ET
wco81
RealGM

Post#6808 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:52 am

Wow McDaniel with smart play calling on 2-minute drill by the Dolphins, using misdirection and then a shuffle pass for the TD.

With Bridgewater coming in for Tua.

He looks like a hall monitor with nerdy glasses on the sidelines though.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6809 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:38 pm

wco81 wrote:Wow McDaniel with smart play calling on 2-minute drill by the Dolphins, using misdirection and then a shuffle pass for the TD.

With Bridgewater coming in for Tua.

He looks like a hall monitor with nerdy glasses on the sidelines though.

Word seems to be trickling out that McDaniel might have been a lot of the brains behind the Shanahan offense. That loss could be the biggest one we've seen in some time, and it will be interesting to see how the team bounces back from an embarrassing offensive showing against a good defense this week. Granted, as said, Jimmy was missing a ton of open looks this past week.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6810 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:43 pm

Well McDaniel may be under fire because of Tua's health.

Plus after the 2-minute drill the Dolphins struggled to score.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6811 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:51 pm

wco81 wrote:Well McDaniel may be under fire because of Tua's health.

Plus after the 2-minute drill the Dolphins struggled to score.

Sure, and unclear to me how much the HC has input in that, but it was clearly a bad call to have Tua out there that soon after the hit last week. That's some potentially really dangerous stuff.

I'm willing to cut the team a little slack for the offense struggling with a backup coming in. That's kind of par for the course, especially on the road, trailing to the defending AFC champs (granted they haven't been great this year).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6812 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Cam Akers is missing this week's Rams game, and McVay made some odd comments about the situation. Looks like there's a chance he won't return.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6813 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:57 pm

Bailey Zappe in the process of taking Mac Jones' job.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6814 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:41 pm

Rams' starting LT Joe Noteboom out for the season with a torn Achilles. That's a big blow for an OL that has already been struggling mightily. Going to have to capitalize on that in two weeks if we are going to have a chance in the division.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6815 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:25 pm

Word on the streets is that the 9ers are sniffing around on the Christian McCaffrey trade block situation.

It would be amazing to add an elite caliber talent to this offense. However, there are 2 reasons to pump the brakes.

1) Supposedly Panthers are asking for two 1sts. Of course, they wont get that. But it does show that they won't part with him for scraps. And his contract would be especially team friendly for his new team, so that will drive up the asking price as well.

2) His health. As great as he is, dude has been incredibly injury prone. And as we are all too aware of, 9ers are prone to routinely losing key players to injury themselves. So Christian's health concerns, might actually get a little worse if he came to the bay.

Supposedly the Rams are the other team showing the most interest. So maybe the 9ers will be more aggressive in their pursuit, if for no other reason to keep him away from LA.

Should be interesting. The thought of what a healthy McCaffrey could do for this offense as a whole, and for what Kyle could scheme up as a result is incredibly intriguing.
wco81
RealGM

Post#6816 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:01 pm

Not only that, nobody would trade 2 FRPs for a RB now.

Nobody.

I don't know that he would be that useful.

A lot of wide pitches to him and then several run up the middle so he gets beaten up.

Not saying Deebo is as good as peak McCaffrey but do you notice he's not gashing defenses like he used to?

Teams have gotten used to him out of the backfield and they've put some beating on him. Even when he was ripping off big yards, he had to do it through contact. I doubt McCaffrey has big yardage after first contact.

He'd be more useful if he was an elite slot WR that 49ers could use for bubble screens and then just abusing most LBs in pass coverage.

But after all his injuries, I don't know if he'd got over the middle fearlessly.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6817 » by thesack12 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:45 pm

wco81 wrote:Not only that, nobody would trade 2 FRPs for a RB now.

Nobody.

I don't know that he would be that useful.

A lot of wide pitches to him and then several run up the middle so he gets beaten up.

Not saying Deebo is as good as peak McCaffrey but do you notice he's not gashing defenses like he used to?

Teams have gotten used to him out of the backfield and they've put some beating on him. Even when he was ripping off big yards, he had to do it through contact. I doubt McCaffrey has big yardage after first contact.

He'd be more useful if he was an elite slot WR that 49ers could use for bubble screens and then just abusing most LBs in pass coverage.

But after all his injuries, I don't know if he'd got over the middle fearlessly.

Agree that nobody is giving Carolina multiple 1sts for McCaffrey. I'd be shocked if somebody gave them a single 1st. As you alluded to, the RB position just isn't highly valued in the NFL anymore. On top of that, his health is a huge concern.

Deebo has been mostly the same with the ball in his hands this season. The main difference is he's not getting as many carries as he was the back half of last season/playoffs. Lowering Deebo's touches out of the backfield, is actually a good thing for his longer term health and effectiveness. Its something most of us have been pleading for, for awhile. Deebo's game has always been highly predicated on physicality and absorbing contact, so I'm not sure where you are going with that.

Back to McCaffrey, again completely agree with you on the receiving element. Dude is a pass catching machine, and is something that the 9ers haven't ever really had much of at the RB position under Shanahan. Having a big time receiving threat out of the backfield, could really open up this offense. As you alluded to it would force LB's to spy McCaffrey on every play which would free up things over the middle of the field for Deebo/Aiyuk/Kittle. It would also really catapult the play action game, I mean we're talking about the difference of running play action with Christian McCaffrey and Jeff Wilson. It would further diminish the need to have Deebo line up in the backfield both as a decoy and actually giving him touches back there. Which both opens up the passing game when Deebo goes downfield, and lowers the amount of punishment he takes.

With Elijah Mitchell hopefully coming back in a few weeks, having him around would allow McCaffrey to rotate in and out instead of being a every down, carry the team type of RB. This would help preserve his health. For that matter it would help preserve Mitchell as well, who isn't exactly a picture of health.

We also consistently talk about how Shanahan gets solid production out of no name RB's, which is legitimate. But we have never seen what he can do with a high end RB talent. It would be quite interesting to see what that would look like.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6818 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Dec 5, 2022 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=AeEh5rvTlR4VgmSCxsI83Q
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,506

Post#6819 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Dec 5, 2022 4:21 pm

Baker as backup QB?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#6820 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 4:25 am

Pretty crazy to think that the last pass of Aaron Rodgers' career might be an interception.

Return to San Francisco 49ers