ImageImageImageImageImage

Bruce Ellington > Quentin Patton

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Bruce Ellington > Quentin Patton 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:15 pm

So, have people changed their minds yet? There was a substantial topic on Poopla about this, and most sided with Patton.

Our top 4 WRs heading into the year should be Crabs, Boldin, Johnson and Ellington.
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Re: Bruce Ellington > Quentin Patton 

Post#2 » by 49rangER » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:22 pm

I wouldn't go that far yet.

Patton looked just as good as Ellington has last years preseason if not better.

I really like both guys moving forward. Patton unfortunately had some injury issues last year and has had the likes of gabbert overthrowing him this year a lot.

It will be interesting to see who gets what playing time today.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM(previously h0ckeysk83r)
Rvnight18
Bench Warmer
And1: 15

Post#3 » by Rvnight18 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:24 pm

Ellington is going to be a player for years. The kid is going to be one of those pesky WR that pisses of the defense. Extremely happy we drafted him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#4 » by I_am_1z » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:30 pm

49rangER wrote:I wouldn't go that far yet.

Patton looked just as good as Ellington has last years preseason if not better.

I really like both guys moving forward. Patton unfortunately had some injury issues last year and has had the likes of gabbert overthrowing him this year a lot.

It will be interesting to see who gets what playing time today.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM(previously h0ckeysk83r)

He looked far better! I have no idea why we're using Ellington like he's the only option on offense when the second string gets in. I would have loved to have seen AJ(in his rookie year) or Patton get so many opportunities to make plays. Ellington still catches the ball with his body and he's a small target, not sure if his game can be successful against starters.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 817

Post#5 » by arich35 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:46 am

I still like Patton. I hate comparing players when they are playing against 2nd and 3rd team players. I want to see Patton and Ellington with Kaepernick against the 1st string DB's and that will tell you who is better. Just the glimpses toward the end of the season from Patton I will give him the edge. But Ellington looks like he could be a good player also in the right system and I don't see that system being with Harbaugh and Roman. When have we had a speedy back/receiver that was successful?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#6 » by NinerSickness » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 am

Is it just me or does it seem like Patton has a lot of minor foot problems?
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#7 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm fine with Ellington being better(never partake in who better vs who) however it wouldn't matter if Kap/Roman/Harb are not using him effectively.

My WRs ATM are Crabs, Boldin, Stevie(not impressing = concerning IMO), Ellington, Patton n Osgood(STs)
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Jtymer49er
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Jtymer49er » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:43 pm

Ellington has looked great so for this preseason. Whether it's Ellington>Patton or vice versa, they should both be integral parts of our offense for years to come. I just hope the coaching staff can figure out how to use Ellington's skill set. They have struggled using players like him to their potential.
Ease_Ur_Storm
Senior
And1: 21

Post#9 » by Ease_Ur_Storm » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:05 pm

To me Ellington will be a slot receiver who can handle being moved outside, and Patton is the reverse. Both have the speed and versatility that Jenkins couldn't bring to the table. I think Ellington will be a consistent playmaker. Patton will be serviceable #3 type receiver who can make an occasional big play to spark the offense. We'll see how this plays out but I have the feeling Patton will be inactive a lot of weeks given what's ahead of him.
Jtymer49er
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Jtymer49er » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Ease_Ur_Storm wrote:To me Ellington will be a slot receiver who can handle being moved outside, and Patton is the reverse. Both have the speed and versatility that Jenkins couldn't bring to the table. I think Ellington will be a consistent playmaker. Patton will be serviceable #3 type receiver who can make an occasional big play to spark the offense. We'll see how this plays out but I have the feeling Patton will be inactive a lot of weeks given what's ahead of him.

Patton has that cocky/confident/swag about him that I love. Unless Stevie is showing something more in practice that what we've seen in the games I'd rather see Patton with the opportunity.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#11 » by I_am_1z » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:50 pm

Ease_Ur_Storm wrote:To me Ellington will be a slot receiver who can handle being moved outside, and Patton is the reverse. Both have the speed and versatility that Jenkins couldn't bring to the table. I think Ellington will be a consistent playmaker. Patton will be serviceable #3 type receiver who can make an occasional big play to spark the offense. We'll see how this plays out but I have the feeling Patton will be inactive a lot of weeks given what's ahead of him.

Do you believe Patton couldn't do the same if featured with the 2nd sting offense?

I think his whole 1st down celebration was about not getting any plays drawn up for him
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#12 » by clyde21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:59 pm

I_am_1z wrote:

Do you believe Patton couldn't do the same if featured with the 2nd sting offense?

I think his whole 1st down celebration was about not getting any plays drawn up for him

So you think the coaches are going out of their way to give the ball to Ellington and not Patton? :-?
Ease_Ur_Storm
Senior
And1: 21

Post#13 » by Ease_Ur_Storm » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:05 am

Patton could definitely make big plays against no. 2's. He's already shown glimpses of his big play ability in real games. Will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out with Stevie because I think Kap has confidence in Patton.

He'll make a great highlight reel catch, but he'll also do things like not help his QB out on one of Gabbert's interception. It may be an awareness thing with him sometimes because he plays with so much intensity.

Both Ellington and Patton should be able to take advantage of #3 CB's. Hopefully we can actually do something with that this year and keep the sticks moving. If Kap and Stevie can't get on the same page, I'm fine with elevating both these guys.
imac_21
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#14 » by imac_21 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:14 am

Ease_Ur_Storm wrote:Patton could definitely make big plays against no. 2's. He's already shown glimpses of his big play ability in real games. Will definitely be interesting to see how this plays out with Stevie because I think Kap has confidence in Patton.

He'll make a great highlight reel catch, but he'll also do things like not help his QB out on one of Gabbert's interception. It may be an awareness thing with him sometimes because he plays with so much intensity.

Both Ellington and Patton should be able to take advantage of #3 CB's. Hopefully we can actually do something with that this year and keep the sticks moving. If Kap and Stevie can't get on the same page, I'm fine with elevating both these guys.

I hope this isn't in reference to the interception on the seam route last week. That ball was so poorly thrown there was nothing Patton could do to help it out. it was thrown three yards behind him.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#15 » by Jikkle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:49 pm

I like both but if we wind up extending Crabtree than Ellington will wind up being a bigger contributor going forward since he offers up a different skillset.

Patton's skillset is just redundant with as heavy we are on possession receivers currently.

Return to San Francisco 49ers