ImageImageImageImageImage

My Thoughts on the Game

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

My Thoughts on the Game 

Post#1 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Didn't see one of these so figured I'd start it.

My wife and I were moving over the weekend, so I only really caught the second quarter. Nonetheless, my thoughts on that:

I did catch the FG drive, which was a decent one. Not great. Kap didn't look good even on the scoring drive - the slant to Crabtree was a hair's breadth from being picked, and it looks like teams might be picking up on that play. He forced an incompletion at one point when he had LMJ matched up out wide against a LB. Would have liked to have seen him look in that direction.

Gabbert actually looked passable, but his pass on 3rd and 1 was appalling. Nowhere near the receiver. It was a somewhat tough angle for the throw-and-catch, but Gabbert was like five feet behind.

Ellington again looked good. He's got nice quickness, and should continue to improve as he focuses entirely on football.

Iupati looked like he was getting pushed around out there. I think his confidence got rattled early and he was lunging a bit in his blocks.

LMJ had some nice blitz pickups, but one of his worst outings as a RB. He goes down literally any time someone touches him.

Either Dahl is a terrible, terrible safety (and, to be fair, I think he likely is), or our ILBs are not giving appropriate help inside. That TD was way too easy.

Not much else on this one. Seemed like there were a lot of short, inconsequential drives in the second quarter. No one really stood out, or at least not that I can recall. I am somewhat worried by the offense - I know it's preseason, and especially against an opponent we face this season, we aren't going to put all our cards on the table. Still, the OL looked very shaky from what I saw, and Kap has got to get his balls up over the DL.
imac_21
Sophomore
And1: 13

Re: My Thoughts on the Game 

Post#2 » by imac_21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:25 pm

I think we need to recognize the dominance that was Aaron Lynch yesterday, and that 2nd string OL played quite well.

With the way Lemonier and Lynch have been playing, we could be okay without Aldon for however long he's suspended.

Winston also looked good. If Ellington looks good on returns, we may go into the season minus LMJ with Gore, Hyde and Winston at HB. It isn't as if we use LMJ productively anyway.
Rvnight18
Bench Warmer
And1: 15

Post#3 » by Rvnight18 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:03 pm

imac_21 wrote:I think we need to recognize the dominance that was Aaron Lynch yesterday, and that 2nd string OL played quite well.

With the way Lemonier and Lynch have been playing, we could be okay without Aldon for however long he's suspended.

Winston also looked good. If Ellington looks good on returns, we may go into the season minus LMJ with Gore, Hyde and Winston at HB. It isn't as if we use LMJ productively anyway.

Lynch was impressive yesterday. Really wanted to draft him in the later rounds. So much potential if he keeps his head on straight. He flashed it yesterday.

I would love LMJ to be let go. He can't break a tackle to save his life, and we have never tried to fit him to our scheme. Winston fits so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DreDinis21
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#4 » by DreDinis21 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:05 pm

I REALLY liked what I saw out of Winston...I would just like to see him play against 2's and 1's a bit before putting him on the roster. I don't want to see another Jewel Hampton type who is an All-Star against 4's but can't do a thing against 1's and 2's.

The thought of Gore and Hyde gives me wood.
Hangman_52
Sixth Man
And1: 77

Post#5 » by Hangman_52 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Hyde kicked butt. Ran all over people.
Martin looked decent
M Martin looked great.
Looney looks okay.
Johnson is a knuckle head. Lining up way offsides.
Field looks bad.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#6 » by Jikkle » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Would've liked to have seen a better offensive performance but I didn't really see anything that would cause me to panic.

The parts are there to have a potent offense but it's just not cohesive and in rhythm at the moment. Which is why I thought Harbaugh should've left them out another series since it seemed like on that drive they were starting to put it together.

Despite Rivers stat line I thought the few plays the actual starting defense was out made me feel positive about the group going into the season.

Overall the young guys behind the starters are playing better which is encouraging and guys like Martin (shame he got hurt) and Lynch are beginning to look like steals were we got them.

Ellington is I feel will definitely be a steal when it's all said and done.

Just my gut feeling is that we might have some early season struggles but will come on really strong in the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs.
Jtymer49er
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Jtymer49er » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 pm

-Lynch definitely looks like a beast, big game from him
-What a pick by Morris at the end of the game
-1st string O-line is gonna get Kap killed if they don't get it together (Iupati)
-Carlos Hyde will be a stud in this league
-Nice play by Borland, he looks like he'll be good in time
-If Dahl has to start a game at safety we're in trouble
-Ellington showing out as always
-That first catch by Boldin reminded me why I love him so much #uncoverable
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:32 am

Gotta say, the preseason has been a bit disappointing in terms of offensive and defensive production - though certainly not going to panic at this juncture - but the real silver lining has been the play of the young guys from the last two drafts. Reid has picked up right where he left off. Carradine has been making plays and looks like he will carve our a role this year, with potential to take on a starting role in the future. McDonald has looked much better as a receiver. Lemonier has been getting consistent pressure. Patton has played well. Dial has looked like a monster against the run. Hell, Bykowski has looked good at backup OT. Morris hasn't been superb, but he's had a solid showing IMO. From this year, it seems like everyone who is healthy has been making plays. Dontae Johnson has arguably been the quietest, and even he has been looking generally good for a guy who lacks some polish at CB. These groups could be the core of this team and keep us right in the mix for years to come if they keep it up. Very exciting when looking toward the future.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#9 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 am

Crims,

No love for Vance Mac? Kid is going to be a legit weapon this year in two TE sets. He and Davis could be deadly down the seam.

Never mind, you did mention Vance in your last post.
supreme81
Sophomore

Post#10 » by supreme81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:55 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Crims,

No love for Vance Mac? Kid is going to be a legit weapon this year in two TE sets. He and Davis could be deadly down the seam.

Bingo wassup bro glad to see you post again
supreme81
Sophomore

Post#11 » by supreme81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:00 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Gotta say, the preseason has been a bit disappointing in terms of offensive and defensive production - though certainly not going to panic at this juncture - but the real silver lining has been the play of the young guys from the last two drafts. Reid has picked up right where he left off. Carradine has been making plays and looks like he will carve our a role this year, with potential to take on a starting role in the future. McDonald has looked much better as a receiver. Lemonier has been getting consistent pressure. Patton has played well. Dial has looked like a monster against the run. Hell, Bykowski has looked good at backup OT. Morris hasn't been superb, but he's had a solid showing IMO. From this year, it seems like everyone who is healthy has been making plays. Dontae Johnson has arguably been the quietest, and even he has been looking generally good for a guy who lacks some polish at CB. These groups could be the core of this team and keep us right in the mix for years to come if they keep it up. Very exciting when looking toward the future.

I feel the defense really stepped up this week by holding a very potent offense to only a TD and even that was on a short field. Dahl is a horrible safety but I do believe he thought he had ILB help on the TD he gave up this week and last and I believe Whilote was supposed to provide that help both times. You didn't mention Borland but I am starting to really like him. Once his knowledge of the scheme and his natural instincts line up that kid could be special.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#12 » by Tomikcon1971 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:56 am

Game being replayed on NFLN in five minutes if you missed it and have the channel.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#13 » by Tomikcon1971 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:57 am

Man...this thread makes me smile. So many regs starting to show up. Still missing a few.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
DreDinis21
Sophomore

Post#14 » by DreDinis21 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:06 am

I love what we are seeing from the young guys. When we get all of our vets back from injury, we have solid depth on many key positions where we NEED it, like ILB (Hello Mr. Borland) and OLB (Hi Mr. Lynch!), OL, and DL.

I understand what Harbaugh is doing in resting vets...and I DO like how we get to see our young players get extended playing time, but I questioned his decision to take the offense out after a Q and a half of flat out terrible execution by our offense.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm

I am worried about the offense... yes its preseason, yes its vanilla playcalling...

but the passing game isn't on point, whether its for short, medium or long gains....

WRs n TEs need to catch the ball

OL seems a bit behind in pass blocking but once in a blue moon you see Iupati have a bad game(admittedly) and we are seeing Kilgore/Looney/Martin being together is NOT good for the weak hearted.... Davis' return should add stability to a degree but Boone is terribly missed.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 225

Post#16 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:49 pm

supreme81 wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Crims,

Bingo wassup bro glad to see you post again

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_vpfblTqng[/youtube]
Mem49er
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Mem49er » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:25 am

I haven't been able to watch and really focus this preseason but the little I've seen we haven't look good on offense, downright stinky so far with the ones. I really hope we start to click. Side note, I miss Boone, is he coming back?!?!
Giggity, giggity!

Return to San Francisco 49ers