ImageImageImageImageImage

Ray Mac restructures

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Ray Mac restructures 

Post#1 » by Jikkle » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:20 pm

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/08/29/49ers-free-up-more-salary-cap-room/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Feels like they are gearing up to extend someone and my guess it'll be Crabtree since that seems like that's their next target.

Also with the Aldon Smith news from a PR standpoint announcing a big extension would help steer the conversation to a more positive light.
JPurthe1
Freshman
And1: 3

Re: Ray Mac restructures 

Post#2 » by JPurthe1 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
49rangER
Senior
And1: 28

Post#3 » by 49rangER » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:49 pm

Love this core of players. Guess it helps when you have had success though lol

(previously h0ckeysk83r)
arich35
General Manager
And1: 817

Post#4 » by arich35 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:42 am

I love team players
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Ray_Dogg » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:00 am

I think Crabs is gonna be signed any day now.

Sent from my thumb on the RealGM App.
49rangER
Senior

Post#6 » by 49rangER » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:08 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:I think Crabs is gonna be signed any day now.

Sent from my thumb on the RealGM App.

That's what I'm thinking. Kap gave up a lot of money with his deal. Pay him back with Crabtree

(previously h0ckeysk83r)
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,198

Post#7 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:15 am

arich35 wrote:I love team players

Restructuring doesn't mean Ray Mac is getting less money. All they do is convert some of the base salary into a signing bonus and prorate it over the course of the contract. That signing bonus money becomes guaranteed over the remaining years.
49rangER
Senior

Ray Mac restructures 

Post#8 » by 49rangER » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 am

clyde21 wrote:

Restructuring doesn't mean Ray Mac is getting less money. All they do is convert some of the base salary into a signing bonus and prorate it over the course of the contract. That signing bonus money becomes guaranteed over the remaining years.

It helps our cap....these guys don't have to do anything if they don't want too. Sometimes money up front is harder in the future for them later.

Love these guys. Lots of team players helping the cap which is the big point here.

(previously h0ckeysk83r)
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#9 » by Tomikcon1971 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Meanwhile.......Boone is still an a-hole.
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
supreme81
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#10 » by supreme81 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 pm

49rangER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

It helps our cap....these guys don't have to do anything if they don't want too. Sometimes money up front is harder in the future for them later.

Love these guys. Lots of team players helping the cap which is the big point here.

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

It helps in the short term but in the long term it hurts. I'm not happy about restructuring so many contacts as of late. That is why we were in cap hell at the end of the Young era. I hope this isn't a trend we continue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using RealGM Forums mobile app
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:56 pm

49rangER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

Yes it helps our cap, but that doesn't mean it isn't also beneficial for the player. Let's say Player X has 10mil due in base salary this year and has two more years left on his contract (3 total). They ask him to convert 9mil of it into signing bonus which you can prorate across the contract. That means he gets 3mil in signing bonus in year 1, 3mil in year 2, and 3mil in year 3.

Why is this beneficial for the player? Signing bonus becomes guaranteed money, and now he'll get a guaranteed 3mil each of the next three years even if he gets cut.

Why is this beneficial for the team? Because of instead of the 10mil cap hit, they only count 4mil (the 1mil left over plus the 3mil signing bonus). The team therefore saves 6mil this year to use on other contracts.

Ray McDonald isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it because it's also the right business decision for him.
imac_21
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#12 » by imac_21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:25 pm

49rangER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

There is nothing noble about what McDonald did. He took non-guaranteed salary and turned it into bonus money (getting a cheque for a few million dollars before he left the facility), and he made it more difficult to cut him later in the contract by increasing the potential dead money.

It just so happens that this helps the team as well, but basically the question he could have been asked was

"Hey Ray, do you want us to guarantee you about 2.5 million dollars, write you a cheque right now, and give you better job security?"

Who says no to that?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#13 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 pm

I was gonna +1 you imac until I saw "cheque."
imac_21
Sophomore

Post#14 » by imac_21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:30 pm

supreme81 wrote:
49rangER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

It helps in the short term but in the long term it hurts. I'm not happy about restructuring so many contacts as of late. That is why we were in cap hell at the end of the Young era. I hope this isn't a trend we continue.

Two thoughts on this.

First, in the past we were re-structuring old players contracts who were not going to see the end of them. Ray Mac is signed for through 2015 with an option in 2016. Odds are he plays that contract out. Ditto for Bowman playing his out. We got in trouble when we were re-structuring BY every year, and Norton every year, and Deese every year. If we were re-structuring Gore and Cowboy and Boldin I'd feel differently.

Second thing is that contract structures have changed a lot in the last 15 years and teams have gotten away from big signing bonuses and escalating base salaries. It used to be a player would have a base salary of 6.5M and would restructure it down to 750k and have almost 6M in potential dead money. Ray Mac's restructure creates a maximum potential of 1.7M in dead money. And that's if he gets cut next offseason.
imac_21
Sophomore

Post#15 » by imac_21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 pm

clyde21 wrote:
49rangER wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

Yes it helps our cap, but that doesn't mean it isn't also beneficial for the player. Let's say Player X has 10mil due in base salary this year and has two more years left on his contract (3 total). They ask him to convert 9mil of it into signing bonus which you can prorate across the contract. That means he gets 3mil in signing bonus in year 1, 3mil in year 2, and 3mil in year 3.

Why is this beneficial for the player? Signing bonus becomes guaranteed money, and now he'll get a guaranteed 3mil each of the next three years even if he gets cut.

Why is this beneficial for the team? Because of instead of the 10mil cap hit, they only count 4mil (the 1mil left over plus the 3mil signing bonus). The team therefore saves 6mil this year to use on other contracts.

Ray McDonald isn't doing this out of the goodness of his heart. He's doing it because it's also the right business decision for him.

Not quite. If it's a signing bonus, it counts 3M against the cap for those 3 remaining years (assuming the player is on the roster), but he leaves the facility with a cheQUE for 9M when he signs the contract.

The logic behind the cap accounting for it is that all money a player receives has to count against the cap. Signing bonuses get prorated so teams don't have to manage 25M cap hits in year 1 (or didn't, as the 25M signing bonus appears to be a thing of the past). But if the player gets cut, all the money he has already received has to count against the cap, so the unaccounted for, pro-rated portion of the contract is accelerated.
imac_21
Sophomore

Post#16 » by imac_21 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:34 pm

clyde21 wrote:I was gonna +1 you imac until I saw "cheque."

As I typed it I thought about spelling it in American, but decided to culture some of you instead. :)
supreme81
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#17 » by supreme81 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:19 am

imac_21 wrote:
supreme81 wrote:
49rangER wrote:

(previously h0ckeysk83r)

Two thoughts on this.

First, in the past we were re-structuring old players contracts who were not going to see the end of them. Ray Mac is signed for through 2015 with an option in 2016. Odds are he plays that contract out. Ditto for Bowman playing his out. We got in trouble when we were re-structuring BY every year, and Norton every year, and Deese every year. If we were re-structuring Gore and Cowboy and Boldin I'd feel differently.

Second thing is that contract structures have changed a lot in the last 15 years and teams have gotten away from big signing bonuses and escalating base salaries. It used to be a player would have a base salary of 6.5M and would restructure it down to 750k and have almost 6M in potential dead money. Ray Mac's restructure creates a maximum potential of 1.7M in dead money. And that's if he gets cut next offseason.

Valid points imac and you are right we were restructuring old players that wouldn't see the end of their deals but I don't know that was a bad time in our history and it just makes me cringe when I see the FO restructure a contract even though I know the FO is much better with the cap then it once was.

Return to San Francisco 49ers