ImageImageImageImageImage

Jed York...

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: Jed York... 

Post#21 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:53 am

-AC- wrote:It's almost an impossible task for Tomsula... Even if he improves on this last seasons 8-8 record and gets into the playoffs as a wildcard, it still probably won't be enough for this fanbase... The Harbaugh era occupied most of the "window of opportunity" and the roster won't be as stacked as it had been the last four or five seasons... But that won't stop anyone from saying "I told you so" if the 49ers finish with anything less than an NFC championship appearance... Unfair or not, that will be the bar set for all the ridiculer's out there...

Not necessarily. From what I've read posted by fans, there aren't a lot of high expectations for the 49ers this coming season, especially from the critics of Tomsula. Many think the team is going to tank this year. If this team finishes better than last year, Tomsula would be exceeding expectations from a lot of his critics
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#22 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:19 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Like some of you have already said, lets give Jed and his new coach Jimmy T the benefit of the doubt here. Could the transition from Harbaugh have been handled better? Absolutely. But ultimately it's what takes place on the field that matters....As for the coaching staff, I think it is a solid one overall. Lots of experience. Tom Rathman returns to coach RBs, I really like Sparano as TEs coach - he is a Parcells guy. Eric Mangini I believe will turn out to be a heck of a DC - he is going back to his roots. He was the Pats DBs coach from 2000-04 and their DC in 2005. He's a Belichick disciple which certainly is a good thing - and the word is he will bring a more aggressive scheme to the defense which is very talented....Tim Lewis (DBs coach) if you recall was at one time a finalist for HC coach job I believe with Niners. He's also been a DC, and the Falcons secondary with him at the helm led the NFL in takeaways in 2012. He's also been pretty instrumental in developing Desmond Trufant. I am actually very excited about the offseason and the upcoming 2015 season.

I like your optimism but I can't say this is a solid one. I like a couple of the position coach hires. But our coordinator's don't have much of a track record. Geep Chyst only has a couple years experience as an OC in the NFL. As QB coach for the niners, I didn't see anything special coaching Kap. Not saying the offense will be worse, just saying there is no track to say he will improve it. Mangini was only a DC for a year or two in New England. Their defense dropped in the ranking while he was DC. They lost a number of key players that year, so that drop off could be excused, but again, we have little to go on to suggest Mangini will be a great DC for the 49ers
-AC-
Sophomore
And1: 7

Post#23 » by -AC- » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:08 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
-AC- wrote:It's almost an impossible task for Tomsula... Even if he improves on this last seasons 8-8 record and gets into the playoffs as a wildcard, it still probably won't be enough for this fanbase... The Harbaugh era occupied most of the "window of opportunity" and the roster won't be as stacked as it had been the last four or five seasons... But that won't stop anyone from saying "I told you so" if the 49ers finish with anything less than an NFC championship appearance... Unfair or not, that will be the bar set for all the ridiculer's out there...

Not necessarily. From what I've read posted by fans, there aren't a lot of high expectations for the 49ers this coming season, especially from the critics of Tomsula. Many think the team is going to tank this year. If this team finishes better than last year, Tomsula would be exceeding expectations from a lot of his critics

I hope you are right and Tomsula does get a fair shake... But after visiting many boards and social media outlets over the past month, I'm not optimistic about the reaction even if he does improve on last seasons record and overall performance...
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#24 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Like some of you have already said, lets give Jed and his new coach Jimmy T the benefit of the doubt here. Could the transition from Harbaugh have been handled better? Absolutely. But ultimately it's what takes place on the field that matters....As for the coaching staff, I think it is a solid one overall. Lots of experience. Tom Rathman returns to coach RBs, I really like Sparano as TEs coach - he is a Parcells guy. Eric Mangini I believe will turn out to be a heck of a DC - he is going back to his roots. He was the Pats DBs coach from 2000-04 and their DC in 2005. He's a Belichick disciple which certainly is a good thing - and the word is he will bring a more aggressive scheme to the defense which is very talented....Tim Lewis (DBs coach) if you recall was at one time a finalist for HC coach job I believe with Niners. He's also been a DC, and the Falcons secondary with him at the helm led the NFL in takeaways in 2012. He's also been pretty instrumental in developing Desmond Trufant. I am actually very excited about the offseason and the upcoming 2015 season.

I like your optimism but I can't say this is a solid one. I like a couple of the position coach hires. But our coordinator's don't have much of a track record. Geep Chyst only has a couple years experience as an OC in the NFL. As QB coach for the niners, I didn't see anything special coaching Kap. Not saying the offense will be worse, just saying there is no track to say he will improve it. Mangini was only a DC for a year or two in New England. Their defense dropped in the ranking while he was DC. They lost a number of key players that year, so that drop off could be excused, but again, we have little to go on to suggest Mangini will be a great DC for the 49ers

Mangini will have a much more talented defense to work with as well.
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#25 » by generaldreedle » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:12 pm

zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#26 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:01 pm

I do not believe that Jed deserves the benefit of the doubt. In my view, I would give him that if I could look back at a long resume of his filled with many successes in managing an NFL team. There is no such resume. His resume when hired consisted of one entry: Son of Owner.

You can point to his hiring of Harbaugh as a great success and that is true. but how difficult or insightful a decision was that? Singletary was universally recognized as an out and out disaster (nice hire there Jed) and had to go. Harbaugh was really about as obvious a candidate as you could ever hope to find, as Jed had to see articles of Harbs success every morning with his coffee and newspaper. I will give him credit for that hire but it took no genius to do it.

Harbs was an excellent coach, returning the Niners to one play away from winning one SB (contrast with Broncos getting flat out embarrassed in their most recent trip), and coming within a play or two of getting into 2 more SB. Yeah. last year was pretty bad and coaching was a good part of it. Yet a capable management team does not ignore the high level of achievement of the previous 3 years and dump the coach for opaque reasons. And it is quite possible that Jed and company had a hand in undermining the team and Harbaugh last year. (Think hard about the implications of that if true, the GM willing to wreck a season in which the team had a great shot for a SB? Really? If true, that is tantamount to treason.)

I fail to see the reason to give Jed the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt, he is incompetent. The fiasco of the coaching hires should have clinched that for you. Now, I do hope that Tomsula et al work out great and we get that SB trophy. But I am dubious, and suspect that two years from now the fans will be calling for Jed's head on a pike, deservedly so.
-AC-
Sophomore

Post#27 » by -AC- » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:29 pm

Scot McCloughan hired Mike Singletary...
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#28 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:39 pm

-AC- wrote:Scot McCloughan hired Mike Singletary...

You are right and I stand corrected. Who was Scot's boss at the time?
-AC-
Sophomore

Post#29 » by -AC- » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:50 pm

It was the transitional period of Jed York and Gideon Yu switch...
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Re: 

Post#30 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:33 pm

generaldreedle wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybarca/ ... sco-49ers/

This sums up the current issues with the front office and York.

I actually do believe he wants to truly wants to win but he has no clue in how to go about it and doesn't have the right people in his ear to teach him and help him to go about it.

All the unnamed sources and rumors was just dirty pool by York because he knew he had to undermine Harbaugh with those rumors so he would have an easier sell to the fans in why they were firing errr mutually parting ways with Harbaugh. He could officially look like he was taking the higher ground in saying philosophical differences all the while letting all the rumors do the work for him.

And look at the effect it had with the coaching search as it obviously didn't go unnoticed in the coaching world. Tomsula's peers don't believe he's running things and they believe there isn't any money to be made in SF and that's completely highlighted by Chud deciding to take his chances with Pep getting a HC gig rather than take an OC gig right now.

Even if I'm on the negative side of things when it comes to the coaching staff I'm really hoping I'm dead wrong. But my negativity stems from observing history and last time I checked the two teams in the SB had really strong coaching staffs. And I'm struggling to think of a case where a positional coach with a cobbled together staff had tremendous success in the league. The staff just has that 8-8 every year feel.

I do feel bad for Tomsula (well almost if he wasn't making millions) because he's in a no win situation unless he wins a SB. He's always going to be compared to Harbaugh and he's always going the fact that Jed York basically blew up the entire coaching staff just for Tomsula. So like I said in the other thread Tomsula better be a tremendous coach if you're willing to blow up an entire staff especially the defensive side that was extremely successful for him to be HC.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 941

Post#31 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:15 pm

zman1 wrote:

I do not believe that Jed deserves the benefit of the doubt. In my view, I would give him that if I could look back at a long resume of his filled with many successes in managing an NFL team. There is no such resume. His resume when hired consisted of one entry: Son of Owner.

You can point to his hiring of Harbaugh as a great success and that is true. but how difficult or insightful a decision was that? Singletary was universally recognized as an out and out disaster (nice hire there Jed) and had to go. Harbaugh was really about as obvious a candidate as you could ever hope to find, as Jed had to see articles of Harbs success every morning with his coffee and newspaper. I will give him credit for that hire but it took no genius to do it.

Harbs was an excellent coach, returning the Niners to one play away from winning one SB (contrast with Broncos getting flat out embarrassed in their most recent trip), and coming within a play or two of getting into 2 more SB. Yeah. last year was pretty bad and coaching was a good part of it. Yet a capable management team does not ignore the high level of achievement of the previous 3 years and dump the coach for opaque reasons. And it is quite possible that Jed and company had a hand in undermining the team and Harbaugh last year. (Think hard about the implications of that if true, the GM willing to wreck a season in which the team had a great shot for a SB? Really? If true, that is tantamount to treason.)

I fail to see the reason to give Jed the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt, he is incompetent. The fiasco of the coaching hires should have clinched that for you. Now, I do hope that Tomsula et al work out great and we get that SB trophy. But I am dubious, and suspect that two years from now the fans will be calling for Jed's head on a pike, deservedly so.

When he took the job, Jed had not track record. He has some now. He's the guy who went with Baalke, and together they went out and got Harbaugh. I don't think we should treat that as a foregone conclusion. Harbs had plenty of other options, including taking the Miami job or staying a Stanford. Jed got it done. Now, I don't like the way he's handled this at all, but the team has turned around under his leadership. It's all on him and Baalke now. If this falls apart, they should be blamed entirely. But unless and until it does, it's at least a little short-sighted to act as if the season is already over.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#32 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:When he took the job, Jed had not track record. He has some now. He's the guy who went with Baalke, and together they went out and got Harbaugh. I don't think we should treat that as a foregone conclusion. Harbs had plenty of other options, including taking the Miami job or staying a Stanford. Jed got it done. Now, I don't like the way he's handled this at all, but the team has turned around under his leadership. It's all on him and Baalke now. If this falls apart, they should be blamed entirely. But unless and until it does, it's at least a little short-sighted to act as if the season is already over.

I did not intend to indicate that I thought the season was over. I am dubious but hopeful. I am not knowledgeable enough to really judge the coaching talent but it appears to have been cobbled together, not put together according to a plan. I suspect a down year but hope for another SB trophy. Go Niners!
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#33 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#34 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:23 pm

zman1 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:When he took the job, Jed had not track record. He has some now. He's the guy who went with Baalke, and together they went out and got Harbaugh. I don't think we should treat that as a foregone conclusion. Harbs had plenty of other options, including taking the Miami job or staying a Stanford. Jed got it done. Now, I don't like the way he's handled this at all, but the team has turned around under his leadership. It's all on him and Baalke now. If this falls apart, they should be blamed entirely. But unless and until it does, it's at least a little short-sighted to act as if the season is already over.

I did not intend to indicate that I thought the season was over. I am dubious but hopeful. I am not knowledgeable enough to really judge the coaching talent but it appears to have been cobbled together, not put together according to a plan. I suspect a down year but hope for another SB trophy. Go Niners!

That's fair. I think the coaching search was basically a disaster, but we'll see. You'll never convince me this is how Jed and Trent imagined the coaching staff looking when they decided to fire Harbaugh.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 pm

zman1 wrote:

There are some good veteran coaches on this staff with experience. Tom Rathman, Tony Sparano, Tim Lewis, and Eric Mangini. I will say it right now, that if the defense stays healthy, it will not miss a single beat with Mangini. For the position he was hired for, it was a great hire. He is a Belichick desciple who likes an aggressive 3-4 defense. I live in Cleveland and I thought Mangini really got a raw deal here when he was coach - who wouldnt in Cleveland, right? lol....He was also accused of rubbing players the wrong way too. But what I did like was that the Browns were among the least penalized teams in football in his watch. The Niners could sure improve in that area.
Tomikcon1971
Sixth Man
And1: 74

Post#36 » by Tomikcon1971 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Apparently unlike many, I'm willing to give Jed the benefit of the doubt to see what his coaching staff can do this year. But he's in a bed of his own making, primarily. He handled the coaching change incredibly poorly - first looking indecisive and unprepared in finding a HC, and then taking part in both an uncomfortable press conference with Tomsula followed by a disastrous interview with KNBR. The coordinator search, particularly OC, couldn't have gone much worse either.

The end result may be okay or even very good. The appearance of it has been very bad. There were justifications for firing Harbaugh. But ironically, Jed ceded the high ground by trying to retain it. For all his talk about "winning with class," and basically trying not to dump on Harbaugh, instead he has looked like a petulant child who couldn't get his way and thus fired Harbaugh. His talk of "mutual parting," and the whole business about competing for a SB every season rang hollow. Not t mention the whole, "Hold me accountable" business was just ridiculous.

I'm not going to condemn him before we've seen the product, but as of now the team has a home field where it went .500, a pretty precarious coaching situation, and the perception around the league that the owner and GM are power-hungry meddlers. At least some of that - and frankly much of it -is due to the way Jed handled the transition to Tomsula.

^^^^^^THIS
XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV, XXIX, ????
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#37 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:15 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
zman1 wrote:

There are some good veteran coaches on this staff with experience. Tom Rathman, Tony Sparano, Tim Lewis, and Eric Mangini. I will say it right now, that if the defense stays healthy, it will not miss a single beat with Mangini. For the position he was hired for, it was a great hire. He is a Belichick desciple who likes an aggressive 3-4 defense. I live in Cleveland and I thought Mangini really got a raw deal here when he was coach - who wouldnt in Cleveland, right? lol....He was also accused of rubbing players the wrong way too. But what I did like was that the Browns were among the least penalized teams in football in his watch. The Niners could sure improve in that area.

I will say, I think they did a nice job bringing in position coaches with talent and experience. It's the coordinators that worry me. Particularly Chryst. He was clearly quite low on their list, and if he even had a small hand in our red zone offense last year (word was it was his baby), I've got serious reservations about his ability to put together a decent offense.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by 49er4life1979 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:17 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
zman1 wrote:

I will say, I think they did a nice job bringing in position coaches with talent and experience. It's the coordinators that worry me. Particularly Chryst. He was clearly quite low on their list, and if he even had a small hand in our red zone offense last year (word was it was his baby), I've got serious reservations about his ability to put together a decent offense.

I agree about Chryst, time will tell I guess. I am much more interested to see how he does than how Mangini does.
B-King
Rookie

Post#39 » by B-King » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:09 am

York is just a spoiled silver spooner who doesn't understand how the real world works. It looks like other parts of the organization are enjoying his people skills.

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts ... k-sued-age

On a side note. I don't always agree with Tim Kawakami, but I have to give him some props for digging into the 49ers implosion.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,255

Post#40 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:15 pm

York doesn't have to pay any consequences.

Most of the fans who bought the SBLs are stuck if the team declines.

Return to San Francisco 49ers