ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers regular season game notes

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 49ers regular season game notes 

Post#2201 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:05 pm

The Niners can't defend a QB with any amount of mobility. They shut down Goff because he largely stays in the pocket outside of called roll-outs, but face a guy who doesn't just sit where the play calls for him to and the D falls apart. It's tough to play zone when the QB has all day to survey the field.
dr3am
RealGM
And1: 10,485

Post#2202 » by dr3am » Tue Dec 8, 2020 3:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:The Niners can't defend a QB with any amount of mobility. They shut down Goff because he largely stays in the pocket outside of called roll-outs, but face a guy who doesn't just sit where the play calls for him to and the D falls apart. It's tough to play zone when the QB has all day to survey the field.

Yeah last night just shows why we should just tank the rest of the way honestly, even with Bosa we struggled to contain mobile QB’s & now without him we don’t even put pressure on them at all.. I remember that game early this season where Wentz of all people was moving in the pocket. I think it’s time to start fresh next season, with a new QB, new defensive coach & hopefully we can get a decent corner. Last night showed me that Richard Sherman has to go, ain’t no way he getting a fat contract after last night.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2203 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 4:38 pm

The Armstead and Ford contracts are going to be a kick in the crotch. Given the restructure, I don't think we can cut Ford (I had huge questions about that restructure when we did it, and I didn't even know about the back issue....), and we definitely can't cut Armstead. With those guys eating a huge hole in our cap, we're going to struggle over the next couple years.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#2204 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:45 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:The Niners can't defend a QB with any amount of mobility. They shut down Goff because he largely stays in the pocket outside of called roll-outs, but face a guy who doesn't just sit where the play calls for him to and the D falls apart. It's tough to play zone when the QB has all day to survey the field.

Allen made some plays out of the pocket but he also had wide open guys crossing underneath a lot of the times.

Or they found big gaps in the zone.

Looked like the 49ers feared being beat over the top so they kept two safeties back and played zone.

I don't think they got hurt by the Bills running game too much but despite the focus on pass defense, they were giving up a lot of catches and it wasn't even Diggs who did the most damage.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2205 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 5:55 pm

Yeah, the soft zone coverage was a problem. Dontae Johnson at slot corner probably contributed mightily to Beasley's big day, though it looked like all of our CBs got beaten repeatedly.
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2206 » by dr3am » Tue Dec 8, 2020 6:33 pm

What happens if Dee Ford retires tho...
wco81
RealGM

Post#2207 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 7:11 pm

Why would Ford retire?

He could collect millions a year and just keep rehabbing while taking up a roster spot.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2208 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:12 pm

Ford's dead cap would be a little over $14 million next year, according to both overthecap and spotrac. I thought it was worse after the restructure, but maybe they built in an escape hatch. If that's the case, we definitely cut him. $6 million cap savings if we do.

That trade and signing are turning out to be brutal. I get why we did it. When he was even close to right in 2019, our DL was simply dominant. But no major shock that he hasn't been healthy, and it makes me feel like we didn't do our full due diligence.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#2209 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Dec 8, 2020 10:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Ford's dead cap would be a little over $14 million next year, according to both overthecap and spotrac. I thought it was worse after the restructure, but maybe they built in an escape hatch. If that's the case, we definitely cut him. $6 million cap savings if we do.

That trade and signing are turning out to be brutal. I get why we did it. When he was even close to right in 2019, our DL was simply dominant. But no major shock that he hasn't been healthy, and it makes me feel like we didn't do our full due diligence.

Is that pre or post June 1st? If I read their chart correctly the post June 1 dead money amount is aprox $5.7 million?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2210 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 8, 2020 11:26 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Ford's dead cap would be a little over $14 million next year, according to both overthecap and spotrac. I thought it was worse after the restructure, but maybe they built in an escape hatch. If that's the case, we definitely cut him. $6 million cap savings if we do.

Is that pre or post June 1st? If I read their chart correctly the post June 1 dead money amount is aprox $5.7 million?

I didn't even realize they had that difference, though of course it makes sense. The simple answer is that I don't know. Post-June 1 cut would lower the cap hit next year, but push some into 2022. But the actual numerical breakdown...I have no idea.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#2211 » by Samurai » Wed Dec 9, 2020 12:41 am

Saleh is probably hoping the Bills game was somehow blacked-out in the Detroit area.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#2212 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 8:34 pm

Samurai wrote:Saleh is probably hoping the Bills game was somehow blacked-out in the Detroit area.

That is funny
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2213 » by dr3am » Wed Dec 9, 2020 10:18 pm

We’ve got to bring Juice back next season, huge part of our offense!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2214 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:40 pm

dr3am wrote:We’ve got to bring Juice back next season, huge part of our offense!

Juszczyk is a very good player, but he's so overpaid. His cap hit this year is literally more than twice that of the next highest-paid player at the position, and more than three times that of the third highest-paid player. In 2021, two players amount to a little over half of what he makes this year, but that's still absurd. And the fourth guy on the list accounts for about 1/5 of Juszczyk.

Given the status of the cap this upcoming year, the demand for the position around the league (or lack thereof), and what he's paid relative to everyone else at the position, I'd almost certainly need him to take a pay cut to stick around. Otherwise, congratulations Ross Dwelley, you're the new Kyle Juszczyk.
wco81
RealGM

Post#2215 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 11:53 pm

Jus isn't a beast as a lead blocker. I would guess after a couple of years of being a battering ram, you're just not firing out with the same intensity to hit anyone.

But he's still very good as a pass catcher.

I saw one play where Mullens threw to Mostert in the flats and he couldn't stay in bounds and had zero or minimal gain. If he kept his feet he might have made some yardage.

They have to develop a real good pass catching back, if only as a third down back.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2216 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:30 am

wco81 wrote:Jus isn't a beast as a lead blocker. I would guess after a couple of years of being a battering ram, you're just not firing out with the same intensity to hit anyone.

But he's still very good as a pass catcher.

I saw one play where Mullens threw to Mostert in the flats and he couldn't stay in bounds and had zero or minimal gain. If he kept his feet he might have made some yardage.

They have to develop a real good pass catching back, if only as a third down back.

Hasty was a very good pass catcher in college (79 career receptions, 25 or 26 in each of his last three years). I'm hoping he can take on that role. Wilson is also pretty good as a receiver.

Kind of irritated we lost Salvon Ahmed. He's looked pretty good for the Dolphins as I understand it, though I haven't seen it myself.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#2217 » by Samurai » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:38 am

dr3am wrote:We’ve got to bring Juice back next season, huge part of our offense!

Agree that Juice is a huge part of the offense, but won't go so far as to say that we've "got" to bring him back next season. With our cap constraints, being the highest paid FB in football (by a LARGE margin!) works against him. If he's willing to take a discount, then I'm for it. But re-signing Trent Williams is as big or bigger a need for the team given how bad the rest of our O-line has looked this season. Let alone all the holes we have to sign on defense.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#2218 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Sherman on why he almost certainly won't return to the Niners next year:

“If there’s some miracle that happens then, sure, there’s an opening,” Sherman said. “But there’s 40 free agents and they’ll probably have $30 million or less in cap space. They got to bring back Trent who costs over $20 million, they have to pay Fred who costs, $18 million plus a year. So I mean, anybody who knows the situation understands that.”

Not being a bad teammate, etc., just realistically appraising the Niners' cap situation and realizing - pretty humbly, frankly - that there are other players they will prioritize over him. And he's right. They've got to try to lock up Williams, and keeping Warner is also a major priority. After that, even without making moves on anyone else, there just won't be that much money left over. Even if they do something dramatic like cutting Garoppolo.

Once again, I'm really frustrated with some of the FA acquisitions at the start of Lynch and Shanahan's tenure that just destroyed their cap space. We would still be in something of a bind, but a lot less of one if we hadn't burned a ton of cash on guys like Malcolm Smith and Kwon Alexander, who were outplayed by mid-round rookies.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#2219 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:28 pm

And Deebo gets hurt on the first play of the game. When it rains it pours....
dr3am
RealGM

Post#2220 » by dr3am » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Samurai wrote:And Deebo gets hurt on the first play of the game. When it rains it pours....

It’s beyond sad at this point, dude is made of glass... we need a new WR #1

Return to San Francisco 49ers