ImageImageImageImageImage

Antonio Brown

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Antonio Brown 

Post#1 » by DoobieKeebler » Tue Jan 1, 2019 11:07 am

George Kittle was put on notice by Draymind Green & the Warriors' recruiting of Kevin Durant, back in 2016.
He must have decided that you either go big or you go home.

(but at the same time, you gotta slide into those DMs all smooth-like if you want the most desirable person to choose you out of everybody.....)

Read on Twitter

Kittle swings for the fences......

Read on Twitter

SUCCESS!!!!!

:rockon:
DoobieKeebler
Senior
And1: 34

Re: Antonio Brown 

Post#2 » by DoobieKeebler » Tue Jan 1, 2019 11:15 am

AB started following Garoppolo & Kittle on twitter.

Has asked for a trade already this year. And like ol' Man Harbs used to say.... "Why not 'Us'?!"

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/01/george-kittle-shouts-out-antonio-brown-on-twitter-brown-responds/
"George Kittle shouts out Antonio Brown on Twitter, Brown responds"
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#3 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Jan 2, 2019 4:38 am

Antonio Brown - WR - Steelers

The Steelers would absorb a $21.12 million dead-money cap hit if they traded Antonio Brown prior to June 1.

In other words, it's not happening. The Athletic's Mark Kaboly confidently writes that "Brown isn't going anywhere" and "will be there lined up in his usual spot like nothing ever happened" come Week 1 of next season. Brown's cap number is $22.165 million for 2019, so trading him would "save" just $1.045 million in cap space if done so before June 1. That's absolutely not worth trading one of the league's very best players, even if A.B. has become a headache. It's worth the headache still. Brown turns 31 this summer and is signed through 2021 after inking an extension in February 2017. A post-June 1 trade would save over $15.1 million, so that would make it more palatable. We still don't believe Brown will actually be dealt.
Source: The Athletic

Jan 1 - 10:58 PM
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#4 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 2, 2019 5:39 pm

A hard no on Brown. I would rather see the team's cap space used on any free agent defensive players that come available over the next couple of years. Would rather add a good free agent edge rusher or cornerback than Brown
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#5 » by Bald Bull » Wed Jan 2, 2019 6:27 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Antonio Brown - WR - Steelers

The Steelers would absorb a $21.12 million dead-money cap hit if they traded Antonio Brown prior to June 1.

In other words, it's not happening. The Athletic's Mark Kaboly confidently writes that "Brown isn't going anywhere" and "will be there lined up in his usual spot like nothing ever happened" come Week 1 of next season. Brown's cap number is $22.165 million for 2019, so trading him would "save" just $1.045 million in cap space if done so before June 1. That's absolutely not worth trading one of the league's very best players, even if A.B. has become a headache. It's worth the headache still. Brown turns 31 this summer and is signed through 2021 after inking an extension in February 2017. A post-June 1 trade would save over $15.1 million, so that would make it more palatable. We still don't believe Brown will actually be dealt.
Source: The Athletic

Jan 1 - 10:58 PM

Read on Twitter
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#6 » by Bald Bull » Wed Jan 2, 2019 6:38 pm

:party:
Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#7 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Wed Jan 2, 2019 6:57 pm

Lmao!! AB is crazy.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#8 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 2, 2019 7:01 pm

Call me crazy, but I don't think WR is the glaring need that others appear to. Don't get me wrong, WR is probably our second biggest need on offense after interior OL (and maybe a replacement for Staley/RT), and it would be great to have an elite talent at WR. I hope that we add a guy in the offseason who will at least compete for a starting spot next year. That said, with mediocre talent at QB, our offense did alright for much of the year. We were 16th in yards, and 21st in points. Now, some of that can be chalked up to playing catch-up, but I think we'd be okay going into 2019 with Goodwin and Bourne outside, Pettis in the slot (outside in two-receiver sets), Kittle at TE, and McKinnon at RB on obvious passing downs. There are obviously some health questions there, but if those guys are all on the field, that's a decent group of pass catchers.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#9 » by NinerSickness » Wed Jan 2, 2019 7:42 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think WR is the glaring need that others appear to. Don't get me wrong, WR is probably our second biggest need on offense after interior OL (and maybe a replacement for Staley/RT), and it would be great to have an elite talent at WR. I hope that we add a guy in the offseason who will at least compete for a starting spot next year. That said, with mediocre talent at QB, our offense did alright for much of the year. We were 16th in yards, and 21st in points. Now, some of that can be chalked up to playing catch-up, but I think we'd be okay going into 2019 with Goodwin and Bourne outside, Pettis in the slot (outside in two-receiver sets), Kittle at TE, and McKinnon at RB on obvious passing downs. There are obviously some health questions there, but if those guys are all on the field, that's a decent group of pass catchers.

The offense will definitely be a lot better w/ Jimmy back, and they have some good talent (outside of RG) on offense. But I'm pretty excited about the prospect of trading for OBJ. Antonio Brown, not so much; he's 31 and every Steelers' #1 WR looks all-world.

Niners have the cap room to absorb a guy like OBJ. And it shouldn't cost an arm & a leg due to his high cap number. :nod:
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#10 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 2, 2019 8:08 pm

Yeah, I feel somewhat differently about OBJ as opposed to Brown given their ages. If we could get him at a reasonable price, I'd strongly consider it. But I'm not sold on spending huge money (much less draft capital) at WR, particularly in Shanahan's offense. He can do a lot with scheme, and I'd rather put resources toward the defense and OL.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#11 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Jan 2, 2019 9:59 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Call me crazy, but I don't think WR is the glaring need that others appear to. Don't get me wrong, WR is probably our second biggest need on offense after interior OL (and maybe a replacement for Staley/RT), and it would be great to have an elite talent at WR. I hope that we add a guy in the offseason who will at least compete for a starting spot next year. That said, with mediocre talent at QB, our offense did alright for much of the year. We were 16th in yards, and 21st in points. Now, some of that can be chalked up to playing catch-up, but I think we'd be okay going into 2019 with Goodwin and Bourne outside, Pettis in the slot (outside in two-receiver sets), Kittle at TE, and McKinnon at RB on obvious passing downs. There are obviously some health questions there, but if those guys are all on the field, that's a decent group of pass catchers.

Not sure about Goodwin. I don't think he can consistently hold up over a 16 game season. He's better as a package player. I'd start Bourne and Pettis, with backups Taylor and Goodwin. WRs are ok, especially with Jimmy G coming back.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#12 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 2, 2019 10:08 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:

Not sure about Goodwin. I don't think he can consistently hold up over a 16 game season. He's better as a package player. I'd start Bourne and Pettis, with backups Taylor and Goodwin. WRs are ok, especially with Jimmy G coming back.

I agree re: Goodwin, that's why I said Pettis would go outside in two-receiver sets. I figure if we trotted out the same unit next year Pettis and Bourne would be the starters and Goodwin would come in - and Pettis kick inside - in three-receiver packages. Pettis could stay outside and James and Taylor could play inside, too. I don't expect Garcon to return obviously. I wanted to trade him before this season.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#13 » by Bald Bull » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:20 pm

NinerSickness wrote:

The offense will definitely be a lot better w/ Jimmy back, and they have some good talent (outside of RG) on offense. But I'm pretty excited about the prospect of trading for OBJ. Antonio Brown, not so much; he's 31 and every Steelers' #1 WR looks all-world.

Niners have the cap room to absorb a guy like OBJ. And it shouldn't cost an arm & a leg due to his high cap number. :nod:

There is no chance of us getting OBJ.
Read on Twitter
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#14 » by NinerSickness » Thu Jan 3, 2019 6:43 pm

Bald Bull wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

There is no chance of us getting OBJ.
Read on Twitter

I wouldn't say "no" chance, but it's very slim. Teams always say they're not interested in trading a player before trading a player.
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#15 » by Bald Bull » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm

After speaking to brown on facetime Jerry Rice says Brown wants to be a 49er really bad.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25760587/jerry-rice-antonio-brown-wants-san-francisco-49ers-really-bad
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#16 » by ChrisPozz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Bald Bull wrote:After speaking to brown on facetime Jerry Rice says Brown wants to be a 49er really bad.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25760587/jerry-rice-antonio-brown-wants-san-francisco-49ers-really-bad

Rice said he's not worried that Brown wouldn't fit in the 49ers' culture.

"Not a question. No hesitation at all," he said.

Rice said that if he were making the call, he'd definitely trade for Brown.

"If it was left up to me, he'd be here in a heartbeat."

It's this type of stuff in the broad sense that made Rice an awful, ALL-TIME bad TV analyst when he tried to do it. He had no sense, awareness or feel for anything outside of what players FEEL as they're playing the game. When he was asked to play coach or GM in spots he was just terrible and really bad because it was all emotion and feeling from him. He seems incapable most of the time at looking at a situation outside of how a player and/or fan feels toward something. He likes player X. He sees player X is good right now. He's sold and he projects time after time that you do whatever you have to, to go get player X. That's Jerry Rice.

Sorry. I just haven't been able to listen to Rice since a couple of years before he quit the game. He's terrible. He's awful. I wish others wouldn't go to him so they can put his take out there on football-related matters. I know he has a small relationship with AB and all that so there's a hair more value here than with some other situations but the "no hesitation at all" and "definitely trade for him" and "he'd be here in a heartbeat" is such garbage and it's SO JERRY RICE.

Sorry.

And I don't say ANY of that for LIKELY being against a realistic trade scenario for Brown. That's not why I say that about Rice. Even if I was completely down and in the boat that wants to trade for Brown I'd still say this. It has nothing to do with how I feel about trading for Brown. Honestly, I'm not even COMPLETELY against it until I knew some more things...even though I'm far more against it than I am for it.

(I still think he's a Steeler next year anyway).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#17 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:23 pm

ChrisPozz wrote:
Bald Bull wrote:After speaking to brown on facetime Jerry Rice says Brown wants to be a 49er really bad.

It's this type of stuff in the broad sense that made Rice an awful, ALL-TIME bad TV analyst when he tried to do it. He had no sense, awareness or feel for anything outside of what players FEEL as they're playing the game. When he was asked to play coach or GM in spots he was just terrible and really bad because it was all emotion and feeling from him. He seems incapable most of the time at looking at a situation outside of how a player and/or fan feels toward something. He likes player X. He sees player X is good right now. He's sold and he projects time after time that you do whatever you have to, to go get player X. That's Jerry Rice.

Sorry. I just haven't been able to listen to Rice since a couple of years before he quit the game. He's terrible. He's awful. I wish others wouldn't go to him so they can put his take out there on football-related matters. I know he has a small relationship with AB and all that so there's a hair more value here than with some other situations but the "no hesitation at all" and "definitely trade for him" and "he'd be here in a heartbeat" is such garbage and it's SO JERRY RICE.

Sorry.

And I don't say ANY of that for LIKELY being against a realistic trade scenario for Brown. That's not why I say that about Rice. Even if I was completely down and in the boat that wants to trade for Brown I'd still say this. It has nothing to do with how I feel about trading for Brown. Honestly, I'm not even COMPLETELY against it until I knew some more things...even though I'm far more against it than I am for it.

I agree. I'll listen to 95.7 the Game in the mornings on the way to work sometimes. They have Rice on every Monday morning, and I almost always change the station when he comes on. I just don't find that he has much to offer in terms of that type of commentary. It's odd. I'd almost say he's lazy, which doesn't mesh at all with Rice the player, but his commentary is on a level with those guys who get one-year gigs on the sports networks and are then gone because they just don't have anything to offer and don't seem interested in doing the work to learn more and improve. I guess it's a completely different style of work, though not so different from, say, film study. I'm not sure how much film Rice watched back in the day, though. WR strikes me as a position where you could get away with doing less of it.

Was it Rice who said he would trade the #2 pick today for Brown?
Bald Bull
Veteran

Post#18 » by Bald Bull » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:42 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

michael irvin
ChrisPozz
RealGM
And1: 450

Post#19 » by ChrisPozz » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:53 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
ChrisPozz wrote:

Sorry.

I agree. I'll listen to 95.7 the Game in the mornings on the way to work sometimes. They have Rice on every Monday morning, and I almost always change the station when he comes on. I just don't find that he has much to offer in terms of that type of commentary. It's odd. I'd almost say he's lazy, which doesn't mesh at all with Rice the player, but his commentary is on a level with those guys who get one-year gigs on the sports networks and are then gone because they just don't have anything to offer and don't seem interested in doing the work to learn more and improve. I guess it's a completely different style of work, though not so different from, say, film study. I'm not sure how much film Rice watched back in the day, though. WR strikes me as a position where you could get away with doing less of it.

I thought of another way of putting some of what Rice does into another thought. I'm seeing it more and more with other pro athletes as well but another thing Rice will do is you can get him to say just about whatever you want IF you can get him to think that what you're pushing him into is the right answer.

So if I were talking to Jerry and if I would say this for example, "When I watch the Chargers they are loaded everywhere. They've got so much depth. They might have the best overall roster in football. Is that what you think or am I crazy?" And I guarantee you I could get him to agree with it and he'll respond back with a couple of really generic responses. "Yeah, they've got a veteran quarterback that everybody on that team looks up to. They've got one of the best receivers in the game, strong running game, the defensive end (he'll sometimes only name a guy's position when he can't remember names which he's prone to do), so yeah they've probably got the best roster in football." That's an attempt at a guess for how I think he would respond.

For the record, I'm not personally making that statement about the Chargers myself. I just picked a hypothetical opinion that isn't overly obvious, not overly crazy, and something that I think he might get excited to agree with. I'm seeing more of this in sports these days, too.

Two more guys who do this? Both of them are at Fox Sports - T. J. Houshmandzadeh and Bucky Brooks.

Houshmandzadeh might be one of the worst ones that does it. He's not for long in major media IMO. About the only thing I enjoy from him is story telling from his Cincinnati days and playing the WR position. He's good with nuance and detail there but outside of that he's bad and you can box him into a corner a lot of the time.

I used to like Bucky Brooks a lot more than I do now but he's another guy you can get to agree with you a lot without a lot of push back as long as it's within reason. Lately he's been asked to do more things on the pro side for them and you can tell that's not where he spends a lot of his time studying. He's not good faking like he knows what he's talking about.

Anyway, sorry for getting off the AB thing.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:23 am

Bald Bull wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

michael irvin

That;s right. Irvin is infinitely worse than Rice.

Return to San Francisco 49ers