ImageImageImageImageImage

2020 Offseason

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

2020 Offseason 

Post#1 » by NinerSickness » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:19 am

No need to sticky this one until the 2019 season starts, but the season's already over as far as I'm concerned. Sooooooo...

1. Get a LT. Staley is getting old, and his contract is expiring. Walker Little? Draft a RT and move McGlinchey?

2. Free agents I might like?

Amari Cooper? CowTurds might have to tag Dak.

Brandon Scherff? Guards can sometimes be has because the tag gives them LT Money. Pipe dream though; Lynch will continue to neglect the OL & settle for suck bags like Mike Person. :banghead:

Byron Jones? Again, Dallas might have to tag Dak. This one would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Let Sherman go? He's getting old.

AJ Green? Marcell Dareus, maybe?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: 2020 Offseason 

Post#2 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 pm

The biggest need is secondary and right after that will be offensive line.

McGlinchey is the only guy that has any sort of long term prospects so they need to start building depth and upgrading some parts on the line.

Hopefully if Jimmy G pans out he can be like Brady and help mask a deficient offensive line buy getting the ball off quick. At the nd of 2017 with his 5 game run the sack totals dropped a ton just based on Jimmy G getting the ball out quickly.

I'd be down for AJ Green but he'll be 32 for 2020 season so unless the 9ers have a really good 2019 to where they feel they can compete in 2020 he might not be worth it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#3 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

NinerSickness wrote:No need to sticky this one until the 2019 season starts, but the season's already over as far as I'm concerned. Sooooooo...

1. Get a LT. Staley is getting old, and his contract is expiring. Walker Little? Draft a RT and move McGlinchey?

Brandon Scherff? Guards can sometimes be has because the tag gives them LT Money. Pipe dream though; Lynch will continue to neglect the OL & settle for suck bags like Mike Person. :banghead:

Byron Jones? Again, Dallas might have to tag Dak. This one would be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Let Sherman go? He's getting old.

Robert Nkemdiche? Buy-low prospect?

I wouldn't say Lynch has neglected the OL. He used the 11th pick on a OT. He gave Richburg a big contract (granted the wisdom of that may be questionable; we'll see if he bounces back and if it really was mostly injury). He traded for Tomlinson. He's given the position more attention than most. I would have liked to have added an OL earlier in this draft with an eye toward Staley leaving, but we weren't going to address all our needs in this draft (though I expected to address more than two needs with four picks....).
arich35
General Manager
And1: 821

Post#4 » by arich35 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:10 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:No need to sticky this one until the 2019 season starts, but the season's already over as far as I'm concerned. Sooooooo...

I wouldn't say Lynch has neglected the OL. He used the 11th pick on a OT. He gave Richburg a big contract (granted the wisdom of that may be questionable; we'll see if he bounces back and if it really was mostly injury). He traded for Tomlinson. He's given the position more attention than most. I would have liked to have added an OL earlier in this draft with an eye toward Staley leaving, but we weren't going to address all our needs in this draft (though I expected to address more than two needs with four picks....).

Excuse you, Punter was a need!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#5 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:42 pm

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Excuse you, Punter was a need!

Haha. Fair enough.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#6 » by Bald Bull » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#7 » by Ray_Dogg » Wed May 1, 2019 5:38 pm

Love me some Byron Jones. Still can't believe those idiots wasted him at safety for as long as they did.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by NinerSickness » Thu May 23, 2019 10:06 pm

Ray_Dogg wrote:Love me some Byron Jones. Still can't believe those idiots wasted him at safety for as long as they did.

Credit to 1Z for seeing he'd be a great CB. I actually saw him as a safety coming out of Penn State and thought he'd always play there, but he's killing it at CB.

He's gonna get ungodly money from someone if Dallas has to tag Dak. Just realized he'll be 28 in the 2020 season, so I wouldn't want the Niners to be the ones to give him that money; but he's gonna be a very wealthy man.

There's been 1 CB in the history of CBs who's worked out well after signing a huge contract late into his 20s or early into his 30s, and that was Charles Woodson. Everyone else took the money & slowly regressed to albatross status.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by NinerSickness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:04 am

If OBJ is on the trading block because the Browns are sick of him (which means his stock will be pretty low), do the Niners try to trade for him?

I say no, but I'm sure he'll get a lot of talk this offseason in Niner-fan circles. I think it's a better idea to focus on the OL & CB.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,899

Post#10 » by Samurai » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:01 am

NinerSickness wrote:If OBJ is on the trading block because the Browns are sick of him (which means his stock will be pretty low), do the Niners try to trade for him?

I say no, but I'm sure he'll get a lot of talk this offseason in Niner-fan circles. I think it's a better idea to focus on the OL & CB.

If the Niners' priorities are on extending Kittle and Buckner, and ideally re-signing Armstead, not sure if they would have the money for OBJ. If they can re-sign Sanders on a team-friendly contract, with the emergence of Deebo (and to a lesser extent Bourne), along with a healthy Hurd, that should provide enough weapons for Jimmy G at a much cheaper cost.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by NinerSickness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 am

Samurai wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:If OBJ is on the trading block because the Browns are sick of him (which means his stock will be pretty low), do the Niners try to trade for him?

If the Niners' priorities are on extending Kittle and Buckner, and ideally re-signing Armstead, not sure if they would have the money for OBJ. If they can re-sign Sanders on a team-friendly contract, with the emergence of Deebo (and to a lesser extent Bourne), along with a healthy Hurd, that should provide enough weapons for Jimmy G at a much cheaper cost.

Agreed. Still hoping for an upgrade on the interiour OL, though.

Re-signing Armstead to a long-term deal would be a mistake IMO. Gotta franchise him.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by NinerSickness » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:26 pm

Sweet merciful s**t. Ouch. I didn’t hear about this. Take Dareus off my potential wish list.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/25/marcell-dareus-shares-the-painful-details-of-his-injury/amp/
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#13 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:10 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Ray_Dogg wrote:Love me some Byron Jones. Still can't believe those idiots wasted him at safety for as long as they did.

Credit to 1Z for seeing he'd be a great CB. I actually saw him as a safety coming out of Penn State and thought he'd always play there, but he's killing it at CB.

He's gonna get ungodly money from someone if Dallas has to tag Dak. Just realized he'll be 28 in the 2020 season, so I wouldn't want the Niners to be the ones to give him that money; but he's gonna be a very wealthy man.

There's been 1 CB in the history of CBs who's worked out well after signing a huge contract late into his 20s or early into his 30s, and that was Charles Woodson. Everyone else took the money & slowly regressed to albatross status.

I’m not going to give him credit for that. He actually believes every Penn State prospect will end up being an NFL stud. That was simply yet a homer claim of his, which finally happened to be a good pick. There was another cornerback from Penn State (his name escapes me) that he once said would be an all-pro in the league. I’m not even sure that particular player is still on an NFL roster.

Anyway, on the subject of cornerbacks, how about James Bradberry? If (a big if) Jason Verrett comes back 100% healthy and then we end up signing a corner like Bradberry as well, we’d be in good position next year at the corner spot.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by NinerSickness » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:27 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Anyway, on the subject of cornerbacks, how about James Bradberry? If (a big if) Jason Verrett comes back 100% healthy and then we end up signing a corner like Bradberry as well, we’d be in good position next year at the corner spot.

As expensive as even a below-average, veteran CB is in this league, I wouldn't really want to go after a FA unless he's significantly better than that. If you're going to blow a wad on a CB, he might as well be a really great one IMO. Otherwise, just draft a guy.

Still angry the Niners didn't draft Greedy Williams. :noway:
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:02 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

I’m not going to give him credit for that. He actually believes every Penn State prospect will end up being an NFL stud. That was simply yet a homer claim of his, which finally happened to be a good pick. There was another cornerback from Penn State (his name escapes me) that he once said would be an all-pro in the league. I’m not even sure that particular player is still on an NFL roster.

Anyway, on the subject of cornerbacks, how about James Bradberry? If (a big if) Jason Verrett comes back 100% healthy and then we end up signing a corner like Bradberry as well, we’d be in good position next year at the corner spot.

As memory serves, 1z has been pretty good with his Penn State predictions. He's made some against-the-current calls that have really borne out.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#16 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:03 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

And Verrett is a FA. We only signed him for one year.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by NinerSickness » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:21 am

Looks like Witherspoon was clearly benefiting from the obscene pass rush when Ford was healthy. CB is the #1 need for this team. Should've traded for Ramsey.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by NinerSickness » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:03 am

As Bingo predicted, Kwon didn't last the season. If he's not a guy the Niners can count on, should they cut him in the offseason? I think so. Never liked that signing. Use the cap space (and then some) on a big-time CB. Absolute biggest priority.

Might want to consider cutting Richburg as well. 2 major injuries in the last 3 years. Move Person to C where he might not suck as badly.

Edit: Kwon & Richburg are #s 4 & 6 in terms of highest salary next year (McKinnon is tied for 6th). I say cut 'em. They can't stay healthy.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by NinerSickness » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:29 am

Another edit: maybe sign Alex Mack instead of settling for Person at C? 33 but still playing great.

Not sure I trust Richburg to stay healthy.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#20 » by Dodub » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm

The Browns have officially requested permission to interview Saleh

Return to San Francisco 49ers