ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Re: 49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#101 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:09 pm

wco81 wrote:I would think York expects a championship.

They lost the SB in the last minutes after having a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter so I think the expectations are greater than "be in the mix."

I'm sure Shanahan himself wants it.

This thread was started 2.5 years ago. Three more seasons after this one, so half way through the extension.

That probably means regardless of what happens, there's another extension coming, maybe a couple more years.

They have a strong roster but weaknesses that other top teams are capable of exploiting.

That's kind of my point, though. You really can't "expect" a championship. You expect to compete for a championship, and you hope to get one. But you need a lot to break right to do so. Think about all the truly exceptional players and coaches who never won a championship, or maybe snagged one and only one. It's a hard thing to do. Hell, Andy Reid is considered one of the all-time greats, and he has one championship that arguably he shouldn't have because we blew it. He's got a good shot this year, but certainly no one would be shocked to see his team get knocked off by Buffalo, Cincy, Philly, us, etc.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#102 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:20 pm

49ers haven't been without luck this season.

Lot of injuries and so far they're making it work with Purdy.

But most other injuries they've been able to overcome and got a great bargain trade for CMC.

10 game winning streak going into the playoffs is unprecedented in the NFC. And a couple of those games weren't so great so I think they've had some bad games.

I thought the way the defense was tackling was at their peak a few games ago when they tackled every ball carrier at the first opportunity. Then they regressed a lot vs. the Raiders where Jacobs was juking them too easily.

49ers need the DL to play like they did vs. Packers and Cowboys last year in the playoffs but then they wore out a bit by the time they played the Rams. Tough to sustain that for 3 straight weeks in the playoffs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#103 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:37 pm

Yeah, they're in great shape this year. Probably the most complete team in the league from top to bottom, but again, as well as Purdy has been playing, you've got to figure he's toward the bottom of the list of playoff QBs.

Because they are such a complete team, they have some room for error. We've seen the D step up when the O is shaky, and vice versa, so we aren't overly reliant on one side of the ball versus the other. That said, both sides of the ball have some clear weaknesses. The OL is playing pretty well, but still isn't stellar, and a team with a great pass rush could give us problems. On D, if we aren't getting pressure, our coverage unit is extremely vulnerable to the big play. We also haven't shown any ability to contain a mobile QB. It's noteworthy that during our ten-game run, we haven't played a single guy who would be considered much above average as a runner.

Ultimately, I like our chances at least as much as I did in 2019 and 2021, when they had a lot of the same concerns on D but weren't clicking in the same way on O (until the playoffs, anyway), so hopefully this is the year they seal the deal....
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#104 » by zman1 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:31 am

wco81 wrote:
zman1 wrote:I am very impressed with Kyle's play calling since Purdy took over. Almost all coaches bringing in a 3rd string rookie would go super conservative: run, run, run and run some more. Only throw when you have to and then only safe throws.

Kyle's been going pass first a lot and it has been brilliant. Kudos to him and Brock for making it work.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Certainly seems to have given him more chances than he was giving to Lance.

But I think they're also depending on high-percentage, low-risk passes -- screens, passes under 15 yards -- and hoping for big chunk plays from Deebo and CMC.

Rex Ryan said that the 49ers have a "horizontal" offense so Purdy can run that. DCs on playoff teams will probably challenge 49ers to throw it over them, down field.

We will see how well that works against stronger defenses in the playoffs.
But that is Shanahans offense. It's never been vertical. Purdy seems to be about perfect for it. He goes through his progessios and gets it to one of the playmaker 5 to 15 yards downfield for some YAC. He doesn't need to fire it 50 yards like Josh Allen. At this point it is working great. To me the offense has looked better with Purdy than Jimmy, certainly better than Lance although he had so little time.

wco81
RealGM

Post#105 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:35 am

I don’t remember what his offenses were like in Washington or Cleveland but in Atlanta he threw downfield with peak Julio Jones and I believe Gonzalez was still around.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#106 » by arich35 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:51 am

There is no such thing as a perfect team in the NFL, everyone has weaknesses. It is nearly impossible to be great at every phase of the game. It is pretty clear our biggest weakness is OL and CB right now, if Moseley didn't get hurt I would say the defense barely has any weaknesses. I think the OL is the biggest weakness for Lynch and Kyle, besides grabbing Williams when Staley retired they haven't done a lot to upgrade the position but we won't really know how Banks and Burford work out for a couple more years, they have been average to above average this year. They really need to get a better C and RT IMO going forward.

Besides the RB position I trust this front office when it comes to scouting in the draft, of course there will be misses just like every other organization but they have hit some home runs on mid to late round picks.

Who would you rather be coaching and running this organization at this point? There won't be anyone that becomes available that is better especially when you don't have an elite QB like the Bills, Chiefs, & Bengals
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#107 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:04 am

zman1 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
zman1 wrote:I am very impressed with Kyle's play calling since Purdy took over. Almost all coaches bringing in a 3rd string rookie would go super conservative: run, run, run and run some more. Only throw when you have to and then only safe throws.

Kyle's been going pass first a lot and it has been brilliant. Kudos to him and Brock for making it work.

Certainly seems to have given him more chances than he was giving to Lance.

But I think they're also depending on high-percentage, low-risk passes -- screens, passes under 15 yards -- and hoping for big chunk plays from Deebo and CMC.

Rex Ryan said that the 49ers have a "horizontal" offense so Purdy can run that. DCs on playoff teams will probably challenge 49ers to throw it over them, down field.

We will see how well that works against stronger defenses in the playoffs.
But that is Shanahans offense. It's never been vertical. Purdy seems to be about perfect for it. He goes through his progessios and gets it to one of the playmaker 5 to 15 yards downfield for some YAC. He doesn't need to fire it 50 yards like Josh Allen. At this point it is working great. To me the offense has looked better with Purdy than Jimmy, certainly better than Lance although he had so little time.

While it's still primarily a horizontal passing attack I do believe Shanahan wants it to be more vertical than it has in the past. That's half the reason they drafted Lance is because he could make the passing attack more vertical with his arm.

In fact that's one part of the reason the offense has been better is while Purdy doesn't have a special arm he's been attacking more areas of the field than Jimmy did and hurting defenses when they creep up around the line of scrimmage.

What ultimately Shanahan wants and why the offense wasn't hitting its full stride under Jimmy is to put the defense in conflict by being able to hit them vertically if they crowd the line of scrimmage and then hit them with the running game along with the YAC horizontal passing attack when they back up to not get beat vertically.
wco81
RealGM

Post#108 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:28 am

arich35 wrote:There is no such thing as a perfect team in the NFL, everyone has weaknesses. It is nearly impossible to be great at every phase of the game. It is pretty clear our biggest weakness is OL and CB right now, if Moseley didn't get hurt I would say the defense barely has any weaknesses. I think the OL is the biggest weakness for Lynch and Kyle, besides grabbing Williams when Staley retired they haven't done a lot to upgrade the position but we won't really know how Banks and Burford work out for a couple more years, they have been average to above average this year. They really need to get a better C and RT IMO going forward.

Besides the RB position I trust this front office when it comes to scouting in the draft, of course there will be misses just like every other organization but they have hit some home runs on mid to late round picks.

Who would you rather be coaching and running this organization at this point? There won't be anyone that becomes available that is better especially when you don't have an elite QB like the Bills, Chiefs, & Bengals

I have to admit they‘ve turned it around since the early season woes, especially the bad losses.

Some pre season forecasts had them as the best overall roster, though QB was obviously a big question mark. They’ve also survived a number of injuries, especially at QB.

Purdue has wildly exceeded expectations though it remains to be seen how he will do in the playoffs.

CMC was a huge addition, not just producing but maybe saving Deebo a bit.

If Lance didn’t get injured, we might be having a different discussion, about the difficulty in developing him and giving up too much in the big trade.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#109 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:51 am

As much legit criticism you can throw at Shanahan and Lynch I will say you just can't argue with the results.

1 (hopefully 2) SB appearances and 2 NFC Championship games in 3 out of the last 4 seasons means they are doing something right with the roster and coaching.

But as I said a month ago the narrative that Kyle isn't a good coach can be put to bed but the question still remains is can he become a championship-caliber coach. Is he going to be that type of coach like Harbaugh, Levy, or Schottenheimer that always gets frustratingly close but can't seal the deal.

The other narrative that is hopefully dead is his record with and without Jimmy G as if Shanahan isn't anything without Jimmy. Obviously Purdy being 8-0 (Counting the Dolphins game even though he didn't start) should tell you he's fine without Jimmy but just can't plug anybody at the position and win.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#110 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:10 pm

Jikkle wrote:As much legit criticism you can throw at Shanahan and Lynch I will say you just can't argue with the results.

1 (hopefully 2) SB appearances and 2 NFC Championship games in 3 out of the last 4 seasons means they are doing something right with the roster and coaching.

But as I said a month ago the narrative that Kyle isn't a good coach can be put to bed but the question still remains is can he become a championship-caliber coach. Is he going to be that type of coach like Harbaugh, Levy, or Schottenheimer that always gets frustratingly close but can't seal the deal.

The other narrative that is hopefully dead is his record with and without Jimmy G as if Shanahan isn't anything without Jimmy. Obviously Purdy being 8-0 (Counting the Dolphins game even though he didn't start) should tell you he's fine without Jimmy but just can't plug anybody at the position and win.

Kyle is a good coach, I just don't know that he's a great one. He's done a great job of keeping the offense going - and even improving - under Purdy. But this is an unbelievable collection of talent on the offensive side of the ball. Probably the most versatile players in the league at RB, WR, TE, and FB. Hands down the best LT. Really good depth. It's an embarrassment of riches...that put up 19 in the first true test they've had in months. The offense will absolutely need to pick up more slack next week. I can't see the D holding Philly to 12. Obviously Kyle is still the guy regardless, but this offense needs to look better if he wants his name in the top five or so of coaches.

The other major concern for me is the state of this team going forward. We have tons of front-line talent, and we've done a good job of finding good to great players late in the draft. But we have a lot of huge contracts, and our lack of draft capital is really going to test this team going forward. I'm not sure we can sustain this level of success for a period of years, but they last four years is already better than most NFL teams have seen, and certainly without a star QB.
wco81
RealGM

Post#111 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:38 pm

Well despite this NFC Championship game, they have a good formula to challenge for the NFC at least.

Of course depending on personnel moves in the offseason, maybe hitting with one or two of their draft picks.

But reaching the NFCCG or the Super Bowl is about their ceiling. It's a high ceiling but not the one that the team and its fans want.

They'll keep going at it and probably give Shanahan another extension in a couple of years because they should be in the playoffs the next couple of years.

The lack of draft picks and some of the high draft pick misses may start to hurt the team in a couple of years though.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#112 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:41 am

wco81 wrote:Well despite this NFC Championship game, they have a good formula to challenge for the NFC at least.

Of course depending on personnel moves in the offseason, maybe hitting with one or two of their draft picks.

But reaching the NFCCG or the Super Bowl is about their ceiling. It's a high ceiling but not the one that the team and its fans want.

They'll keep going at it and probably give Shanahan another extension in a couple of years because they should be in the playoffs the next couple of years.

The lack of draft picks and some of the high draft pick misses may start to hurt the team in a couple of years though.

The two biggest issues I see are Shanahan teams just lack that polished play you'd like to see and they have too many penalities and too many little execution problems. They just don't play as cleanly as you feel they should.

The other issue is everyone is risk averse from the fans to the very top. Everyone is so worried about having to win now they don't realize settling for just above average at QB is going to keep getting us short from winning now and winning later as well.

Jimmy G is a prime example of this. Look at how fans were clamoring for him to start because the team has to win now and while he probably had his best year as a 9er all you have to do is look how much better the offense did under Purdy to see that QB play was limiting the effectiveness of this offense.

I like Purdy and I think as long as his elbow didn't explode he's earned the chance to take 1st team reps as the starter when offseason work begins. I just don't want to completely throw everything behind him and it be like a Jimmy G situation where people keep pointing to win-loss records and we settle for above-average QB play that keeps getting us short of the ultimate prize.

I've been a firm believer that you keep swinging at that the QB position until you get someone that consistently delivers great QB play. If Purdy and Lance aren't it you swing again because once you hit that position you're in great shape for years to come.
wco81
RealGM

Post#113 » by wco81 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:53 pm

Hassan Reddick, who singlehandedly wrecked the 49ers season, was drafted #13 in the 2017 draft by the Cardinals.

Whom did the 49ers draft that year?

Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster in the first round.

What have the 49ers been missing despite having a top defense the last couple of seasons?

Well other teams screwed up on Reddick. Cardinals declined a 5th year option on Reddick and let him walk for nothing, despite him getting 12.5 sacks in his fourth season, his first with double-digit sacks. But it's the Cardinals.

Then he signed a 1-year deal with Carolina, got 11 sacks.

Then Eagles signed him to a $45 million, 3-year deal. Not sure how much of that is guaranteed. Well he's still 28 so he probably will play all 3 years and collect all that money.

How much did the 49ers pay Dee Ford? How many draft picks did they give up for him?

Well they gave Charvarius Ward a 3-year $40.05 million deal, $26.6 million guaranteed. Ward did play well and was a good addition to the defense. They had limited cap space as well.

But man if Reddick was on the 49ers opposite Bosa ...
wco81
RealGM

Post#114 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:54 pm

Not noticed much because Purdy was injured so early.

Apparently they were going to do one on one blocking vs. the Eagles DL most of the game.

Chiefs were successful in part by never leaving their RT one on one vs. Reddick. They learned from the 49ers game.

Mahomes had time to throw, even if his mobility was limited and the rest is history.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#115 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:42 am

wco81 wrote:Hassan Reddick, who singlehandedly wrecked the 49ers season, was drafted #13 in the 2017 draft by the Cardinals.

Whom did the 49ers draft that year?

Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster in the first round.

What have the 49ers been missing despite having a top defense the last couple of seasons?

Well other teams screwed up on Reddick. Cardinals declined a 5th year option on Reddick and let him walk for nothing, despite him getting 12.5 sacks in his fourth season, his first with double-digit sacks. But it's the Cardinals.

Then he signed a 1-year deal with Carolina, got 11 sacks.

Then Eagles signed him to a $45 million, 3-year deal. Not sure how much of that is guaranteed. Well he's still 28 so he probably will play all 3 years and collect all that money.

How much did the 49ers pay Dee Ford? How many draft picks did they give up for him?

Well they gave Charvarius Ward a 3-year $40.05 million deal, $26.6 million guaranteed. Ward did play well and was a good addition to the defense. They had limited cap space as well.

But man if Reddick was on the 49ers opposite Bosa ...

If you're going to bemoan 2017, forget Reddick. Let's start with the FO admitting that they didn't even seriously scout QBs when they had no viable QB, had the #2 pick in the draft, and the greatest QB of his generation was drafted.

It's hard to second-guess the move for Ward. CB play is unpredictable, but Ward has been solid for many years. And CB was an absolutely glaring need, while we had gotten decent production from has-beens and never-weres at DE. Not to mention that DE is a much more predictable position, and was extremely strong in the draft.

Reddick would have been a great pickup, and yes, the fluky sack he got cost us the season. And we definitely need more pass rush help opposite Bosa. But that's not a reason to second-guess even successful moves.
wco81
RealGM

Post#116 » by wco81 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:52 am

Other teams didn't rate Mahomes that highly either.

He just said the other day that Alex Smith and the coaches helped him out a lot in his first year.

Said he didn't know how to identify the Mike LB until he spent his rookie season with the Chiefs.

Kyle I think wouldn't be so in love with Mahomes because he produces a lot of big plays off second reaction, which is not something Kyle values, at least he didn't back then.

Also a prospect with a big arm wasn't going to be as helpful since the team hasn't had a deep threat in awhile.

Obviously Mahomes should have been the pick, not Solomon Thomas. But I wonder if he'd have been as productive here as he's been with KC.
wco81
RealGM

Post#117 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:58 pm

Heard on a podcast that at some point Matt Ryan had talked about the blown SB to the Patriots, when Kyle was OC.

Ryan said the plays coming in were so late when they were squandering the big lead.

Certainly something we've seen with the 49ers.

May be what haunts him when he looks back on his career, not able to finish the job in the biggest games -- two double-digit leads in the fourth quarter of two different Superbowls, both lost.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#118 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:23 pm

wco81 wrote:Heard on a podcast that at some point Matt Ryan had talked about the blown SB to the Patriots, when Kyle was OC.

Ryan said the plays coming in were so late when they were squandering the big lead.

Certainly something we've seen with the 49ers.

May be what haunts him when he looks back on his career, not able to finish the job in the biggest games -- two double-digit leads in the fourth quarter of two different Superbowls, both lost.

Tough to move past something like that. Hell, I'm still not over my fantasy football team blowing the championship game three years ago - and I won the following year (and compiled the best starting team in the history of the sport). Super Bowl stakes and you blow it like that? Rationalize it however you want, that doesn't go away ever.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,445

Post#119 » by Big J » Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:04 am

The Lance debacle has put Kyle on the hot seat and in win now mode. If Purdy fails then Kyle is done for.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,514

Post#120 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:10 am

Big J wrote:The Lance debacle has put Kyle on the hot seat and in win now mode. If Purdy fails then Kyle is done for.

I doubt it, at least not in the near future. It depends how and why and how much Brock fails, and I can also see the general fanbase being mollified at least temporarily by a Kirk Cousins/other quality acquisition. I think it would take failure this year AND next year to get Shanahan seriously at risk of losing his job. I mean if this season turns into a complete disaster this year, and if complete enough a disaster to land them in a spot to draft one of the stud QB prospects 2024 appears to be loaded with might even buy them another year. The fanbase remembers what happened we intentionally discarded a highly successful coach, doubt they’re champing at the bit for another Chip Kelly/Jim Tomsula experience.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to San Francisco 49ers