ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Re: 49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#141 » by Jikkle » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:16 am

As far as the extension goes it doesn't surprise me in the least. I said years ago that it's going to take a lot for Jed to move on from the Lynch/Shanahan duo.

It's the most functional the team has looked under Jed and it's gone a long long way to rehabbing the reputation of the team. Lynch being a TV guy is great for PR and being one of the faces of the franchise especially compared to Baalke and Shanahan while no championships have brought the team sustained success that we really haven't seen since the 90s.

Regardless of how you feel about the Lynch/Shanahan duo it's at least rehabbed the organization's image to where it shouldn't have really any issue in getting any GM and/or coach after their era is done.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Post#142 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:11 pm

The ironic thing is, when the team was playing great under Harbaugh, Jed and Baalke were resentful that he got the credit instead of the front office and ownership.

But now, for the past 5 years, Shanahan and Lynch are the face of the team pretty much. On game broadcasts, you see them several times and they make all the public announcements and give frequent interviews, while Jed has kind of faded into the background or at least from public view.

I'm sure he's there at all the games and greets the players in the locker room after every win but they never show him on TV like they used to all the time.

Maybe he's grown up or maybe he learned that he doesn't come off looking good if he's doing anything other than writing the checks to field a winning team.

It's the 10th anniversary of Levis Stadium, which was the most expensive stadium when it opened. But it's been eclipsed by several other stadiums since and fans seem to hate the sunny side.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#143 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:40 pm

RIP to the Kyle is on the hot seat talk.

Those completely unfounded claims died a really quick death.
wco81
RealGM

Post#144 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:RIP to the Kyle is on the hot seat talk.

If most of the fan base and the ownership are content with not winning SuperBowls, yeah I guess that talk with die.

So 49ers will be at the top or near the top of all those team rankings.

In September.

The thing is not where the team is relative to the rest of the league in September but in late January and February.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#145 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:52 pm

And RIP to that talk there were serious issues between Shanahan and Lynch.

I never bought for a second the talk that Kyle was on the hot seat because I'm pretty sure York loves him to death and I think he'd need to string together a few bad seasons in a row before York would pull the trigger.

I question if Shanahan can get over the hump and win a championship but there is just no way you're getting fired if the last 3 out 4 years you have a SB appearance, and 2 NFC Championship appearances under your belt not to mention you have injuries as an excuse for 2020 and last years NFC Championship loss.
wco81
RealGM

Post#146 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:20 pm

Well, tell Jim Harbaugh about reaching the NFC Championship or the SB, whether that's enough to keep the job.

If Harbaugh stayed, we might have had one or more additional SB titles for the franchise by now.

Then again, Jed might have fired Harbaugh even if he had won a SB.

Not to mention, York chose Tomsula over Fangio!
thesack12
RealGM

Post#147 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:48 pm

Jikkle wrote:

And RIP to that talk there were serious issues between Shanahan and Lynch.

I never bought for a second the talk that Kyle was on the hot seat because I'm pretty sure York loves him to death and I think he'd need to string together a few bad seasons in a row before York would pull the trigger.

I question if Shanahan can get over the hump and win a championship but there is just no way you're getting fired if the last 3 out 4 years you have a SB appearance, and 2 NFC Championship appearances under your belt not to mention you have injuries as an excuse for 2020 and last years NFC Championship loss.

Yeah, that alleged rift between Kyle and John was born from the thought that they disagreed on what QB to draft in 2021. That narrative was primarily driven by the national media, and as far as I can remember nobody that is regularly around the team has ever insinuated that those two were at odds at any point in time. There will always be disagreements and differences of opinion, but its pretty safe to say that those guys work very well together and have high opinions of each other.

To piggyback on your last paragraph, in addition to everything you mentioned, Kyle is also at the controls of the factory in San Francisco that is regularly churning out NFL head coaches. Having 3 different guys from your coaching tree become first time head coaches in 3 consecutive seasons is remarkable.

It certainly goes to show that the NFL has a very favorable view on what Kyle is doing in the Bay area, and these extensions prove that York's views mirror that.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#148 » by Jikkle » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:36 am

wco81 wrote:Well, tell Jim Harbaugh about reaching the NFC Championship or the SB, whether that's enough to keep the job.

If Harbaugh stayed, we might have had one or more additional SB titles for the franchise by now.

Then again, Jed might have fired Harbaugh even if he had won a SB.

Not to mention, York chose Tomsula over Fangio!

The Harbaugh situation was more the exception to the norm though and was a product of Harbaugh's volatile personality, Baalke being a snake, and Jed being a putz.

Basically, everything you said above is the reason why Jed isn't going to be eager to fire Shanahan or Lynch because right now everyone is off his back and instead of Jed and the team being viewed as terribly mismanaged basically Shanahan and Lynch has swung the reputation of the team back to being respectable.

And as much as I loved Harbaugh as a coach he's just another guy that can't seem to ever win anything significant so I remain skeptical if the team would've won a SB under him given that the team was on the decline after 2012. Part of it was Baalke's lucky streak when it came to the draft and free agency was ending and I just think people figured out Greg Roman's offense at that point. Maybe with a GM that he was incomplete sync with he could've won one but as long as Baalke was the GM it's clear it wasn't going to happen.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#149 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:25 am

Obviously, a loss to the Packers wasn't going to cost Shanahan his job or even put him on the hot seat but it would've been a pretty big black mark on his resume.

The Packers game, well at least the first half was a showcase of the negative side of Shanahan's coaching.

Seemed like he was convinced of his game plan and just stubbornly stuck with it for too long. And he might've had the perfect gameplan if rain wasn't an issue which is probably why he wouldn't budge off of it. But it was clear early on that Purdy wasn't comfortable with the rain so he should've gone to plan B much sooner in the game. The rain was being forecasted for days so he really should've been ready to come off his gameplan much sooner.

I get losing Deebo screws up plans up but they gotta respond better when he goes down. A lot of teams would be thrilled if they just had BA, KIttle, and CMC so losing Deebo shouldn't feel as devasting as it seems to be when he gets injured in the game.

He also did the ultra-conservative crap at the end of the half that always feels like it blows up in his face in the end. He clearly was playing to end the half with an FG when there were plenty of timeouts and time to go for a TD. I'm a firm believer that you have to take some calculated risks, especially in the playoffs. The teams that usually win championships are usually the teams that are aggressive and willing to take risks. Yes, there are situations when being conservative is the smart move and even being risky doesn't mean you throw caution to the wind and not adjust your approach based on the results of each play but he had his mind set on taking the FG from the get-go and not going for a TD and settling for an FG if you come up short.
wco81
RealGM

Post#150 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:38 pm

49ers won more because of the big plays, the long passes to Kittle including the first TD and the CMC TD run, the ints.

Not because of playcalling.

Packers used deep zones to take away those intermediate in cuts to Aiyuk, dared the 49ers to check down and get major YAC, especially after Deebo went down. Kittle dominated his matchup when they covered him by man.

Detroit is going to do the same. They are going to try to generate good pressure with 4 man pass rush but Glen will also blitz too, especially in the red zone.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Post#151 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:16 am

He was out coached in terms of play calling, his normal strength, but he did not shut Brock down, trusted him to find some footing and it paid off. Weird that in one of his worst coaching games he had a coaching breakthrough. Must have been crazy watching everything go pear shaped in seconds and your qb suddenly can’t come close, with any prior qb he does what everyone is saying he should have, and maybe we win like that Jimmy 6 throw game, but imo it destroys your qb’s confidence and your team’s confidence in him.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#152 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:23 am

He did seem to correct and run the ball more late in the game, which he often struggles to get back to in this sort of game script. Still, not a super encouraging performance from a guy who has a tendency to get uptight and overthink things at this stage.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#153 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:14 pm

Both coaches and QBs not practicing and preparing for rainy games is ridiculous. You can't have your starting QB debating mid-game about whether to wear a glove or not.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
thesack12
RealGM

Post#154 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:35 pm

In the postgame presser Kyle got defensive when asked about going conservative before the half.

His response was something to the effect of "I like they didn't get the ball back there, and I liked we won the game."

I mean sure Kyle, both of those are good things. But it far misses the point, and shows that Kyle doesn't seem like will get immune to going into turtle mode anytime soon.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#155 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:In the postgame presser Kyle got defensive when asked about going conservative before the half.

His response was something to the effect of "I like they didn't get the ball back there, and I liked we won the game."

I mean sure Kyle, both of those are good things. But it far misses the point, and shows that Kyle doesn't seem like will get immune to going into turtle mode anytime soon.

This has been a constant source of frustration for me during Kyle's tenure. It hasn't been as glaring lately because we've been putting teams away at a very high rate. But the conservatism before half has really hurt us in the past, and it will do it again if we do it this week or, if we're fortunate enough to get there, in the SB. You can't play scared in those games.
wco81
RealGM

Post#156 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:14 pm

Probably not the time to have extended discussion but the 49ers window is now and they will have to make big decisions after next season.

Shanahan is signed through the 2025 season. So for 2026, he'd have to get a new deal.

Purdy comes off his rookie contract after 2025 season.

Spotrac says a lot of key players contracts can be voided after the 2024 or 2025 seasons. For instance, CMC contract can be voided for 2026. Same with Deebo and Kittle.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/yearly/cap/

Armstead makes $28.353 in 2024 and then contract could be voided in 2025.

Warner and Greenlaw are scheduled to make $24.4 and $9.6 million in 2024 and have their contracts voided in 2025.

Ward makes $17.9 million in 2024 and can have his deal voided in 2025.

Trent is set to make $31.5, $34.1 and $37.8 in 2024, 2025 and 2026.

Hargrave is set to make $15.4, $26.5 and $28.3 million in the next 3 seasons.

Bosa is set to make $14.7, $20.5, $42, $52 and 42 million.

Obviously many of these out years will be restructured or the player will be cut.

But it's going to be hard to keep these players on the team this season (Aiyuk), after next season and after the following season.

Of course if the players aren't performing to high standards, they likely get cut.

But the inability to draft potential starters to replace many of these stars may shut this window quickly.

For instance, the Chiefs did a great job of reloading in the past few drafts, after they had to turn over their OL and a lot of their defense. They have several starters on rookie deals, though those are ending in the next season or two. But they had all this talk about bad WRs and their WRs aren't making much money yet they're in the AFC Championship game again and it wouldn't be surprising if they got to the SB and won it again.

That's despite Mahomes' HUGE contract. Chris Jones' contract is ending after this week or the SB but otherwise, they don't have contracts like the Hargrave, Bosa or Trent contracts looming over the next few seasons.

49ers are only in the final four because Purdy has vastly outperformed expectations so far so they can carry these big contracts for now. But if he plays well the next two seasons (but not necessarily play well enough to be a SB champion), 49ers lose all that salary flexibility and will have to pay him big money as well.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#157 » by Jikkle » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:44 am

Start calling Kyle Boris the Bullet Dodger as this is the 2nd week in a row he's avoided a complete disaster.

I mean losing to the Lions would've been bad enough because it would've been the 3rd straight year the team lost in the NFC Championship game but if they lost the way it was looking that would've been a complete disaster.

He's gotta finally cash in a Super Bowl win though or this year will still be a total loss as this team had one single goal this season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#158 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:Start calling Kyle Boris the Bullet Dodger as this is the 2nd week in a row he's avoided a complete disaster.

I mean losing to the Lions would've been bad enough because it would've been the 3rd straight year the team lost in the NFC Championship game but if they lost the way it was looking that would've been a complete disaster.

He's gotta finally cash in a Super Bowl win though or this year will still be a total loss as this team had one single goal this season.

Hard to criticize a guy for not winning the SB against the guy who is shaping up to perhaps be the best to ever do it. After all, only one of 32 coaches wins it. But the season would feel like a bit of a disappointment if we can't seal the deal (I will personally be shattered yet again, but trying to take the big picture view).

I can cut Shanahan some slack on not making the SB the past few years. In 2021, we weren't as talented as the Rams, and really shouldn't have beaten the Packers. That was gravy, but we were still in position to win. And then losing Brock clearly did us in last year. No excuses this year, and the team has shown a tremendous amount of resolve in coming back from tough spots the past two weeks. But again, actually knocking of the Chiefs and Mahomes in this game is a tall order.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#159 » by Jikkle » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:36 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:Start calling Kyle Boris the Bullet Dodger as this is the 2nd week in a row he's avoided a complete disaster.

Hard to criticize a guy for not winning the SB against the guy who is shaping up to perhaps be the best to ever do it. After all, only one of 32 coaches wins it. But the season would feel like a bit of a disappointment if we can't seal the deal (I will personally be shattered yet again, but trying to take the big picture view).

I can cut Shanahan some slack on not making the SB the past few years. In 2021, we weren't as talented as the Rams, and really shouldn't have beaten the Packers. That was gravy, but we were still in position to win. And then losing Brock clearly did us in last year. No excuses this year, and the team has shown a tremendous amount of resolve in coming back from tough spots the past two weeks. But again, actually knocking of the Chiefs and Mahomes in this game is a tall order.

It's not an easy task but that's what you have to do if you want to consider yourself an elite coach.

We're simply more talented than the Chiefs and not only that we're the healthier team as well. So if we lose the game it'll most likely fall on coaching unless we have guys go in meltdown mode.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#160 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:45 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

It's not an easy task but that's what you have to do if you want to consider yourself an elite coach.

We're simply more talented than the Chiefs and not only that we're the healthier team as well. So if we lose the game it'll most likely fall on coaching unless we have guys go in meltdown mode.

To be considered truly elite, Shanahan has to win a SB. And this is a golden opportunity to do it. We have a really good team, and KC really struggled to close out the season. But they have pretty clearly been the better team in the playoffs. We have started two games looking completely out of sorts.

In terms of talent, I'm not so sure it's that far apart. And they have the best QB in the game.

Return to San Francisco 49ers