ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Re: 49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#81 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:19 pm

The play-calling is incredibly conservative and predictable. Everything is 10-15 yards and between the hashmarks.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#82 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:59 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:The play-calling is incredibly conservative and predictable. Everything is 10-15 yards and between the hashmarks.

The past couple games, we've actually seen Jimmy taking some downfield shots. They just haven't connected. Last week we had issues with drops. This week, there was only one or two, and a combination of the ball placement being slightly off and receivers not attacking the ball prevented completions.

But yes, with Garoppolo at QB, the vast majority of balls go between the hashes and within 15 yards of the LOS.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#83 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:01 pm

I went back and watched some of the playoff games for Shanahan's Atlanta teams, and they actually attacked downfield and along the sidelines a ton. Which gives me hope that it's not a Shanahan thing, but is a Shanahan working with Jimmy thing. Part of why I hoped to see a different offense with Lance at QB. Those passes are particularly significant for a young QB because they are lower risk than passes over the middle, and even if you don't complete them, you have a much higher likelihood of drawing a PI penalty.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,895

Post#84 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:09 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:The play-calling is incredibly conservative and predictable. Everything is 10-15 yards and between the hashmarks.

While this is largely true, if your QB can't throw beyond 15 yards and doesn't have the arm strength to throw a fastball outside the hashmarks, you don't have much choice in that. If Shanahan was calling plays that forced Jimmy to do things he isn't capable of doing, there would be even more questions - and much louder questions - about Shanahan's play-calling.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,261

Post#85 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:23 pm

Those Falcons teams had a prime Julio Jones and Gonzalez attacking the middle of the field.

A lot of times, Ryan would throw up jump balls for Julio to pull down.

This thread is over 2 years old now. So after this season, will Shanahan and Lynch be half way through this extension? Or are there like 5 years left on their deals because the extension was given before their original contracts ran out?
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#86 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Samurai wrote:

While this is largely true, if your QB can't throw beyond 15 yards and doesn't have the arm strength to throw a fastball outside the hashmarks, you don't have much choice in that. If Shanahan was calling plays that forced Jimmy to do things he isn't capable of doing, there would be even more questions - and much louder questions - about Shanahan's play-calling.

Agreed. Sort of a double-edged sword. Though it was always weird with Jimmy because he has an incredibly quick release and decent ball speed. His mechanics are a bit goofy.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#87 » by thesack12 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:48 pm

wco81 wrote:Those Falcons teams had a prime Julio Jones and Gonzalez attacking the middle of the field.

A lot of times, Ryan would throw up jump balls for Julio to pull down.

This thread is over 2 years old now. So after this season, will Shanahan and Lynch be half way through this extension? Or are there like 5 years left on their deals because the extension was given before their original contracts ran out?

Yeah, when you got a WR like prime Julio there is no reason to not throw it up to him several times a game. That dude's catch radius was truly insane, and may be the most expansive of all time.

Its not like Matt Ryan has ever been known for + arm strength.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#88 » by thesack12 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Read on Twitter

On one hand this is pretty surprising considering the offense with Garoppolo at the helm is built around the short to immediate parts of the field. On the other hand, its really not all that surprising considering the RB's in recent years have never been all that good receivers.

Of Course McCaffrey is an elite receiver, so moving forward this is definitely one facet where Kyle and Jimmy can combat blitzes and times when pass protection is struggling overall.
wco81
RealGM

Post#89 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:47 pm

Media has to go after Shanahan for overusing Deebo, especially with a 21-point lead, instead of giving Mason touches.

Of course the team is thin at RB because they traded away a guy.

CMC probably will get beaten up as well.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#90 » by Jikkle » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:09 pm

There is plenty to complain about Shanahan but the team has made the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years and won the division twice. The roster is one of the most talented in the league as well.

So I do think the discussion falls more is Shanahan good enough to win championships not if he's a good coach or not.
wco81
RealGM

Post#91 » by wco81 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:36 pm

We will see.

There are other key players he could get beat up before the playoffs.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#92 » by arich35 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:17 pm

The fact that anyone complains about Kyle is crazy to me. What him and Lynch have done to turn this franchise around has been amazing. No coach or GM is perfect and has things they need to work on but I wouldn't trade what we have for just about anyone
wco81
RealGM

Post#93 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:33 pm

That depends on whether you're satisfied with winning championships or having good seasons.

They may get to the SB now, since Hurts may be injured. Vikings don't look that impressive, with the second best record in the NFC. But they and the Cowboys have the types of WRs who've given the 49ers problems this season. Unless the front 7 just dominates these teams, winning the NFC is far from guaranteed.

And once they arrive, who knows what could happen?

They have the "best" defense in the league but we saw Mahomes light them up without a big time WR. Bills have better WR and Allen.

But in any one game, a number of things could happen.

The way this season started out, like many other seasons under this regime, was underwhelming.

Now they're doing well because of the CMC trade.

Just a question of what shape key players will be in when they get into the playoffs.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#94 » by arich35 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:30 pm

wco81 wrote:That depends on whether you're satisfied with winning championships or having good seasons.

They may get to the SB now, since Hurts may be injured. Vikings don't look that impressive, with the second best record in the NFC. But they and the Cowboys have the types of WRs who've given the 49ers problems this season. Unless the front 7 just dominates these teams, winning the NFC is far from guaranteed.

They have the "best" defense in the league but we saw Mahomes light them up without a big time WR. Bills have better WR and Allen.

The way this season started out, like many other seasons under this regime, was underwhelming.

Just a question of what shape key players will be in when they get into the playoffs.

We are down to our 3rd string QB, if we do more than win one game in the playoffs that should be considered a pretty damn good season. Obviously we want to win but only one team does a year, and when you don't have an elite QB on your team it is very hard to win it all
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#95 » by Jikkle » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:18 am

wco81 wrote:That depends on whether you're satisfied with winning championships or having good seasons.

That's the question now with Shanahan is if he's good enough to win championships.

While I don't like how the team starts slow and is a roller coaster when it comes to how they perform from game to game and I'm not a fan of the amount of injuries the team on a yearly basis. Nor am I thrilled with his playcalling and decision making all the time.

However you just don't make the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years with two division wins and two NFC Championship appearances along with one SB appearance if your a bad coach. So I do think that discussion can be put to rest at least.

It's just now is he going to be like a Andy Reid type where you're constantly in the playoffs but never really go beyond them and everyone once in a while you might make the SB and you just maybe snag one ring in your career.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#96 » by zman1 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:14 am

I am very impressed with Kyle's play calling since Purdy took over. Almost all coaches bringing in a 3rd string rookie would go super conservative: run, run, run and run some more. Only throw when you have to and then only safe throws.

Kyle's been going pass first a lot and it has been brilliant. Kudos to him and Brock for making it work.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
wco81
RealGM

Post#97 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 12:13 am

zman1 wrote:I am very impressed with Kyle's play calling since Purdy took over. Almost all coaches bringing in a 3rd string rookie would go super conservative: run, run, run and run some more. Only throw when you have to and then only safe throws.

Kyle's been going pass first a lot and it has been brilliant. Kudos to him and Brock for making it work.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Certainly seems to have given him more chances than he was giving to Lance.

But I think they're also depending on high-percentage, low-risk passes -- screens, passes under 15 yards -- and hoping for big chunk plays from Deebo and CMC.

Rex Ryan said that the 49ers have a "horizontal" offense so Purdy can run that. DCs on playoff teams will probably challenge 49ers to throw it over them, down field.

We will see how well that works against stronger defenses in the playoffs.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#98 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 8:45 pm

Read on Twitter

If Ryans lands a HC gig or Carthon lands a GM gig, the 9ers will be awarded 2 additional compensatory 3rd round draft picks.

This regime has consistently developed and churned out talent for top level NFL jobs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#99 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 9, 2023 9:51 pm

arich35 wrote:

We are down to our 3rd string QB, if we do more than win one game in the playoffs that should be considered a pretty damn good season. Obviously we want to win but only one team does a year, and when you don't have an elite QB on your team it is very hard to win it all

Absolutely, but I guess the question is how much of that is due to Shanahan and how much is due to Purdy? We've seen backup QBs on this team play like absolute garbage (Beathard), or play okay, but never really put it together (Mullens). Now, there's no doubt that Shanahan's system is QB friendly, and Purdy is leaning a lot on his talented supporting cast, so it's probably a little of both, but I do think criticism of Shanahan and Lynch is fair.

I always wrestle with this, because we have arguably the most talent in the league across the board, except at QB. We have elite players (pretty universally considered top-5 at their position) at LT, RB, TE, arguably WR (I don't think Deebo is an elite WR, per se, but he's an elite player), DE and LB. I don't know that anyone else in the league can say that. And Lynch and Shanahan deserve a lot of credit for putting together that cast. But we've also sacrificed a lot of longterm development in terms of picks, so the longterm ramifications aren't yet clear. And we haven't won anything yet.

I'll be the first to say that the "Super Bowl or Bust" attitude is the wrong one. It's not a standard you can hold guys to. So much has to go right to win the SB that saying a season is a disappointment unless you do is a little silly. Are you consistently in the mix to do so? Do you have opportunities to do so? Then it's a successful season. But Shanahan has had his fair share of struggles.

This team was mediocre at best until McCaffrey joined the fold. Shanahan didn't use Lance effectively IMO, and then we lost him for the season. We took repeated losses due to poor execution. So yes, bringing in McCaffrey looks like it may have been a revelation, but it was also very expensive for a team already hard-up for draft capital. Can we continue to support our young QB with the draft and cap resources we still have? Time will tell. And we lost a lot of games we should have won before bringing him in.

I'm certainly not making noise to move on from either guy at this point, but I think there's plenty of room for improvement. At least we will hopefully stop burning high picks on RBs for the foreseeable future....
wco81
RealGM

Post#100 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 9, 2023 10:03 pm

I would think York expects a championship.

They lost the SB in the last minutes after having a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter so I think the expectations are greater than "be in the mix."

I'm sure Shanahan himself wants it.

This thread was started 2.5 years ago. Three more seasons after this one, so half way through the extension.

That probably means regardless of what happens, there's another extension coming, maybe a couple more years.

They have a strong roster but weaknesses that other top teams are capable of exploiting.

Return to San Francisco 49ers