49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,515

Re: 49ers to give Kyle Shanahan new 6-year contract 

Post#121 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:10 am

Big J wrote:The Lance debacle has put Kyle on the hot seat and in win now mode. If Purdy fails then Kyle is done for.

I doubt it, at least not in the near future. It depends how and why and how much Brock fails, and I can also see the general fanbase being mollified at least temporarily by a Kirk Cousins/other quality acquisition. I think it would take failure this year AND next year to get Shanahan seriously at risk of losing his job. I mean if this season turns into a complete disaster this year, and if complete enough a disaster to land them in a spot to draft one of the stud QB prospects 2024 appears to be loaded with might even buy them another year. The fanbase remembers what happened we intentionally discarded a highly successful coach, doubt they’re champing at the bit for another Chip Kelly/Jim Tomsula experience.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#122 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:10 am

Big J wrote:The Lance debacle has put Kyle on the hot seat and in win now mode. If Purdy fails then Kyle is done for.

I doubt it, at least not in the near future. It depends how and why and how much Brock fails, and I can also see the general fanbase being mollified at least temporarily by a Kirk Cousins/other quality acquisition. I think it would take failure this year AND next year to get Shanahan seriously at risk of losing his job. I mean if this season turns into a complete disaster this year, and if complete enough a disaster to land them in a spot to draft one of the stud QB prospects 2024 appears to be loaded with or fill that via Cousins type and add a stud somewhere else might even buy them another year. The fanbase remembers what happened the last time we intentionally discarded a highly successful coach, doubt they’re champing at the bit for another Chip Kelly/Jim Tomsula experience.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,262

Post#123 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:17 am

He's under contract through 2026, so 3 more seasons?

His record after like 6 games last season was still under .500 but they obviously turned the season around with the big trade for McCaffrey.

He will have had a decade by the end of this contract, probably looking for another big extension in a couple of years.

Or maybe this year if they have another good season.

But his career may be defined as one of the very good coaches who could never win it all, like Marv Levy.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#124 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 8:45 pm

Some of y'all are overthinking the botched trade up/drafting of Lance as it pertains to Kyle's job security. Was it a massive miss, and big mistake, sure it was. But the team isn't exactly in dire straits because of it.

Looking deeper...

Since Kyle took over in 2017 only the Chiefs have made it to more conference championship games than the 9ers have. Here's the list since 2017:

Chiefs: 5 CCG's
49ers: 3
Eagles: 2
Rams: 2
Packers: 2
Patriots: 2
Bengals: 2
Vikings: 1
Saints: 1
Buccaneers: 1
Jaguars: 1
Titans: 1
Bills: 1

Its also worth noting that Kyle took over a 2 win team when he started and had the mighty Brian Hoyer as the best QB option available at the time. He also lost his starting QB to serious injury very early in the season THREE separate times during that span.

In addition Kyle has basically been operating a coach producing factory as well. Kyle has developed 3 different guys that got hired to be head coaches for other teams. Also, its not like any of Saleh/McDaniel/Ryans were long time veteran coaches in the higher ranks. All of them became first time coordinators under Kyle.

Kyle is also WIDELY viewed to be an elite schemer and play designer/caller. When he has the availability of a decent QB, his offenses are always at the top of league in terms of production.

Look at a guy like Mike Tomlin for instance, who is widely considered a very good/great coach. Yet, the Steelers haven't made it past the 1st round of the playoffs since 2017. They have only won more than 9 games 1 time in the past 5 seasons, and have missed the playoffs 3 out of the last 5 years, and nobody is saying his seat is hot.

If some of y'all think Kyle needs to go or is on the hot seat, I would definitely like to hear who you think would be able to do a better job overall.
wco81
RealGM

Post#125 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 9:09 pm

Tomlin has 2 rings doesn't he?

Kyle may never have one.

Sure he could be considered one of the top play callers and designers in the league by many but his play calling can be slow and unimaginative.

He was hired in Feb 2017 so it's been 6.5 years. He's under contract through 2026? So 3 more seasons after this one coming up.

Thing is how long is the 49ers window? Well if Purdy proves this season that last season wasn't a fluke, they have 2-3 more seasons until he's due big money. In the mean time, they're probably going to have to make some tough decisions after they extend Bosa.

They are going to have to hit on some draft choices in the next couple of seasons to sustain the window.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#126 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 9:35 pm

wco81 wrote:Tomlin has 2 rings doesn't he?

Kyle may never have one.

Sure he could be considered one of the top play callers and designers in the league by many but his play calling can be slow and unimaginative.

He was hired in Feb 2017 so it's been 6.5 years. He's under contract through 2026? So 3 more seasons after this one coming up.

Thing is how long is the 49ers window? Well if Purdy proves this season that last season wasn't a fluke, they have 2-3 more seasons until he's due big money. In the mean time, they're probably going to have to make some tough decisions after they extend Bosa.

They are going to have to hit on some draft choices in the next couple of seasons to sustain the window.

What has Tomlin done in the last 6 years? Basically nothing. How long is he going to be able to live off something that last happened in 2009? I'm not saying Tomlin is a bad coach, I'm merely using him as a reference. You specifically are criticizing Kyle for the 9ers slow start last year, yet you neglected to reflect on the 12 game winning streak they ripped off after the slow start. Are you going to cherry pick, or evaluate the aggregate?

I don't think I've ever heard Kyle's playcalling as unimaginative. In fact, I'm pretty sure lots of teams take pieces of the 9ers design and incorporate it into their own.

Again, I will ask who do you suggest would be able to do a better job than Kyle?
wco81
RealGM

Post#127 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:56 am

I don't know how much of a role Tomlin has in Steelers player personnel decisions.

They had a system in place well before Tomlin got there. Now maybe over the years he has a bigger say but my sense is that it's not like Shanahan, who was given the keys to the store pretty much.

Yes Shanahan turned it around last season, because of the emergency of Purdy, whom practically no scout expected to play as well as he has, and the CMC trade, which consisted of CMC for:

- 2023 second-round pick, No. 61 overall (TE Brenton Strange)
- 2023 third-round pick, No. 93 overall (TE Darnell Washington)
- 2023 fourth-round pick, No. 132 overall (EDGE Nick Herbig)
- 2024 fifth-round pick

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/christian-mccaffrey-trade-details-nfl/

Huge success for the 49ers so far. But while they shored up the weapons on offense, they have huge holes in the OL and at CB.

Ultimately the 49ers may fall short in the next 2-3 seasons because of these holes. The Trey Lance and CMC trades may be significant factors in the team being unable to fill those holes, preventing them from the title(s) they aspire to.

I guess to non-fans of the team, Shanahan's tenure has already been a success with multiple playoffs appearances, multiple NFC championship appearances and one SB appearance.

But 49ers fans, as well as the organization and the owners have higher goals than appearances in the NFC Championship Game or even the SB.

So I ask again, are 49ers fans going to be satisfied if the team doesn't win at least another title in the next 2-3 seasons? Is it enough that he's led the team into the SB at least once?

Because by the end of his contract, 49ers may be looking at a rebuild or dismantling the roster.

For instance, I don't know if they will be able to extend Aiyuk, if he repeats the season he had last season, which was over 1000 yards receiving and 8 TDs. He could be in double-figures in TDs this year unless Kittle and Samuel regain the production of previous seasons.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#128 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:42 pm

wco81 wrote:I don't know how much of a role Tomlin has in Steelers player personnel decisions.

They had a system in place well before Tomlin got there. Now maybe over the years he has a bigger say but my sense is that it's not like Shanahan, who was given the keys to the store pretty much.

Yes Shanahan turned it around last season, because of the emergency of Purdy, whom practically no scout expected to play as well as he has, and the CMC trade, which consisted of CMC for:

- 2023 second-round pick, No. 61 overall (TE Brenton Strange)
- 2023 third-round pick, No. 93 overall (TE Darnell Washington)
- 2023 fourth-round pick, No. 132 overall (EDGE Nick Herbig)
- 2024 fifth-round pick

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/christian-mccaffrey-trade-details-nfl/

Huge success for the 49ers so far. But while they shored up the weapons on offense, they have huge holes in the OL and at CB.

Ultimately the 49ers may fall short in the next 2-3 seasons because of these holes. The Trey Lance and CMC trades may be significant factors in the team being unable to fill those holes, preventing them from the title(s) they aspire to.

I guess to non-fans of the team, Shanahan's tenure has already been a success with multiple playoffs appearances, multiple NFC championship appearances and one SB appearance.

But 49ers fans, as well as the organization and the owners have higher goals than appearances in the NFC Championship Game or even the SB.

So I ask again, are 49ers fans going to be satisfied if the team doesn't win at least another title in the next 2-3 seasons? Is it enough that he's led the team into the SB at least once?

Because by the end of his contract, 49ers may be looking at a rebuild or dismantling the roster.

For instance, I don't know if they will be able to extend Aiyuk, if he repeats the season he had last season, which was over 1000 yards receiving and 8 TDs. He could be in double-figures in TDs this year unless Kittle and Samuel regain the production of previous seasons.

The traded picks will bite, no doubt, but the damage is somewhat mitigated by the economy-line production of comp picks. I’m uncertain how long they can maintain this advantage, if other teams will catch up and/or change the rules. But for now it’s lessening the costs of our **** ups.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#129 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:21 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:The traded picks will bite, no doubt, but the damage is somewhat mitigated by the economy-line production of comp picks. I’m uncertain how long they can maintain this advantage, if other teams will catch up and/or change the rules. [b]But for now it’s lessening the costs of our **** ups.

Not if we waste them on players like Cameron Latu....
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,728

Post#130 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:40 pm

I don't think Shanahan is on any hot-seat, but it's certainly not cool either. Assuming Brock remains to be a consistently good QB and healthy, the super important time will be during the draft, regardless of playoff results. While CMC, Kittle, Warner, Deebo are still all on the right side of 30, they're going to be very expensive. And despite Trent being a HOF'er, he's bound to slow down sooner than later. Lynch and Shanahan have their work cut out for them.

A SB in the next two seasons easily gives Kyle probably another 4-5 year deal.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:57 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:I don't think Shanahan is on any hot-seat, but it's certainly not cool either. Assuming Brock remains to be a consistently good QB and healthy, the super important time will be during the draft, regardless of playoff results. While CMC, Kittle, Warner, Deebo are still all on the right side of 30, they're going to be very expensive. And despite Trent being a HOF'er, he's bound to slow down sooner than later. Lynch and Shanahan have their work cut out for them.

Trent imo is our fault line. If/when he bends to time, our window starts closing. One of many reasons I’m amazed they ignored OL in the draft. Unless they’ve identified someone else coming on the market in a year or two. But it’ll almost certainly be a downgrade. Not sure whether to think getting Trent means they have the right priorities or if having him has let them take it for granted. I could see Kyle thinking his scheme makes OL less critical than it is, but that’s probably unfair.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#132 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:53 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:I don't think Shanahan is on any hot-seat, but it's certainly not cool either. Assuming Brock remains to be a consistently good QB and healthy, the super important time will be during the draft, regardless of playoff results. While CMC, Kittle, Warner, Deebo are still all on the right side of 30, they're going to be very expensive. And despite Trent being a HOF'er, he's bound to slow down sooner than later. Lynch and Shanahan have their work cut out for them.

Trent imo is our fault line. If/when he bends to time, our window starts closing. One of many reasons I’m amazed they ignored OL in the draft. Unless they’ve identified someone else coming on the market in a year or two. But it’ll almost certainly be a downgrade. Not sure whether to think getting Trent means they have the right priorities or if having him has let them take it for granted. I could see Kyle thinking his scheme makes OL less critical than it is, but that’s probably unfair.

The team's handling of OT has been infuriating. I question so much about this team's process, but they manage to basically luck into things constantly. They passed on Tristan Wirfs to take Javon Kinlaw, knowing that Joe Staley was going to retire. And then were able to trade pennies on the dollar for Trent freakin' Williams literally the next day. Very similar to blowing the Lance decision but stumbling ass-backwards into Brock Purdy.

This past draft, I was absolutely furious when they took Moody and Latu in the third, and thus passed on OT. None of the OTs were flawless prospects, but there were about five interesting guys who went within 15 or 20 picks of our two end-of-round picks who offered a really diverse range of strengths (and weaknesses). Hell, Dawand Jones is starting for the Browns (granted not a great fit for our scheme). How they passed on one of those guys for a TE who couldn't even make the roster is beyond me. I hated the Moody pick, too, but as I've said before, at least Moody was the clearly best K. Latu was no better than Brayden Willis, and we got him at the very end of the seventh. Would have loved to actually, you know, groom an OT to step in for Trent at some point.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

The team's handling of OT has been infuriating. I question so much about this team's process, but they manage to basically luck into things constantly. They passed on Tristan Wirfs to take Javon Kinlaw, knowing that Joe Staley was going to retire. And then were able to trade pennies on the dollar for Trent freakin' Williams literally the next day. Very similar to blowing the Lance decision but stumbling ass-backwards into Brock Purdy.

This past draft, I was absolutely furious when they took Moody and Latu in the third, and thus passed on OT. None of the OTs were flawless prospects, but there were about five interesting guys who went within 15 or 20 picks of our two end-of-round picks who offered a really diverse range of strengths (and weaknesses). Hell, Dawand Jones is starting for the Browns (granted not a great fit for our scheme). How they passed on one of those guys for a TE who couldn't even make the roster is beyond me. I hated the Moody pick, too, but as I've said before, at least Moody was the clearly best K. Latu was no better than Brayden Willis, and we got him at the very end of the seventh. Would have loved to actually, you know, groom an OT to step in for Trent at some point.

100% agreed. My nightmare since the draft is being hamstrung by an injury or non-functional OL. To their credit Banks is looking more and more a guy, but THE guy seems to be defying time and at some point that’ll matter. Or he just hangs it up. Again, I don’t know the market the way they do, possibly they have Plan B lined up. But I really, really think a team with an obvious OT/L need just skipping it because of BPA doesn’t make that much sense. Work the board if you have to. End of the year and the OL’s held up or maybe w/e the **** they see in McKivitz pays off, fine, tip my cap. But I don’t get the gamble. Maybe their line guys just hated this class? I agree their luck is either black as night or falling backwards into a pot of gold, seemingly no in between.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM

Post#134 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:42 pm

Sports are as bottom-line results oriented as any other business.

Like I said, with the 2-3 seasons remaining on his contract, we will have to see if he and the team breaks through and wins at least one SB.

Unless there's a catastrophe or the cap situation requires dismantling the roster, these next 2-3 seasons should be double-digit win seasons with playoff berths.

So when he's on the last season of his deal or the season before his last contract season, the team has to decide on whether to give him an extension.

Two years from now, we could still be in a similar situation, considered one of the top 5 teams in the league, but still haven't won a SB because the other top teams beat the 49ers in the playoffs or the SB.

That would make Shanahan still one of the top HCs in the league and the team would probably not consider a change because the team would be seen as still one of the top contenders.

But the team would be no closer to winning a title than they are now, with some elite position groups but also some very obvious weaknesses which will keep the team from becoming champions.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#135 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:00 pm

I frankly kind of expect the team to trade up in the first round to take an OT in one of the next two drafts. Would be a perfect fit for this FO's MO.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#136 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:44 pm

Shanahan and Lynch both extended. Interesting timing. I probably would have waited to see how this season goes, but that's just me.
wco81
RealGM

Post#137 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:11 pm

Hmm, no terms announced.

But guessing it's at least 4 years so probably out to 2030 or beyond.

That means if and when they have to rebuild, because they need to let some starters walk, the team would have them under contract to go through that.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think this roster can go all the way, even though they're now currently seen as one of the top contenders.

Well maybe if other top teams lose key players like the Cowboys did yesterday.

Maybe the 49ers are due better luck on the injury front relative to the other top teams.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#138 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:59 am

One thing we should tip our hat to is the fact that Kyle and John have really established a great dynamic between the two of them, little to no sign of egos getting in the way of the relationship, neither ever even hints at throwing the other guy under the bus, they compliment one another very well, and seem to be happy staying in their lanes. I agree it’s slightly unusual in that Kyle has the hammer, but we don’t hear rumours that he abuses it and John’s ego seems healthy enough to not strain at the leash to prove he’s more.

If you want a really glass half full take, if the majority of Lance rumours were true, the upside is Kyle deferring to the room on an important decision that would ultimately look worse for him than anyone if it failed. And then when it failed never once pointing fingers or becoming more autocratic. We find a lot to criticize in their decisions, but it’s their decisions, they have made what at first seemed an odd an unequal partnership really work. Coming off Harbaugh/Baalke tanking the ~ best roster in football because they couldn’t work together, this is a refreshingly adult relationship with no evident cracks showing despite constant spotlights and spectacular successes and failures. They seem content to share the public responsibilities for both.

We’re pretty lucky in that, they are good at what Riley called the secret to pro sports, knowing that the main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing. I think that’s what ownership is betting on, the remarkably mature and cohesive relationship they have established through the good and the bad.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
arich35
General Manager
And1: 818

Post#139 » by arich35 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:11 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

I don't disagree with some of what you said but the bolded, don't you think they may have known they had a deal in place to get Williams so they didn't draft Wirfs?
Every team has busts and reaches on guys and miss on others, we have also hit on a lot of later round guys because of scouting and finding guys who fit our scheme.
Even though some decisions are questionable I think Kyle and this front office have earned the trust of the fanbase IMO. People keep mentioning the cap going forward but I think we have seen that we have some pretty smart guys handling the money and I trust that we aren't going to just have to dump all the important guys. Will some tough decisions have to be made? Yeah but how many teams have the talent we do and can keep them year after year?

We are very lucky as a franchise to be competitive pretty much every year for the last 5 years when we don't have crazy injuries.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#140 » by Jikkle » Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:07 am

wco81 wrote:Hmm, no terms announced.

But guessing it's at least 4 years so probably out to 2030 or beyond.

That means if and when they have to rebuild, because they need to let some starters walk, the team would have them under contract to go through that.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think this roster can go all the way, even though they're now currently seen as one of the top contenders.

Well maybe if other top teams lose key players like the Cowboys did yesterday.

Maybe the 49ers are due better luck on the injury front relative to the other top teams.

I think the roster is more than capable of going all the way it's just a matter if Shanahan can get out of his own way, if Purdy can step up his game the notch he needs to take the team over the top, and if the right side of the offensive line can at least be functional against elite defenses.

To me as fans of a team we're just so hyper fixated on the team that we lose sight that even the other teams considered contenders have holes and issues of their own. Reminds me of the draft where we justifiably list all the draft misses the team makes but somehow forget all the other teams are whiffing on picks themselves.

Return to San Francisco 49ers