ImageImageImageImageImage

Starting to feel like a Smith/Kaep redux...

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Re: Starting to feel like a Smith/Kaep redux... 

Post#21 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 pm

wco81 wrote:Like I said a nice guy, well-liked, but he kept the team back for a decade.

Yeah sure the coaching and player personnel were bad in those years (though they did form the roster which eventually reached the SB).

That one pick, they were stuck with it and didn't draft another QB high until Kaepernick? And Harbaugh really had to push the GM to make that pick.

Anyways, Jimmy G has a good record in games he's started and the team did get to the SB. Kyle decided he wasn't good enough to carry the team so made the big move for Trey.

I don't think there's much of a competition at all. Trey is the anointed one and it's just a matter of when, not if he takes over.

And Harbaugh also made the right choice, at least he got to go with the guy that he lobbied for, not Alex, whom he inherited.

I don't think anybody of sound mind is questioning that Lance is the future. However "future" is up for deabate. Some people think it should be week 1, period. Others don't really have a specific time frame more so seeing it as when Trey gets his feet under him and is clearly the better option than Garoppolo.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,317

Re: Starting to feel like a Smith/Kaep redux... 

Post#22 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:55 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:Like I said a nice guy, well-liked, but he kept the team back for a decade.

Yeah sure the coaching and player personnel were bad in those years (though they did form the roster which eventually reached the SB).

That one pick, they were stuck with it and didn't draft another QB high until Kaepernick? And Harbaugh really had to push the GM to make that pick.

Anyways, Jimmy G has a good record in games he's started and the team did get to the SB. Kyle decided he wasn't good enough to carry the team so made the big move for Trey.

I don't think there's much of a competition at all. Trey is the anointed one and it's just a matter of when, not if he takes over.

And Harbaugh also made the right choice, at least he got to go with the guy that he lobbied for, not Alex, whom he inherited.

That's true, but you can't blame Smith for the fact that the FO didn't try to upgrade him.

We'll never know what would have been, but it would be really interesting if we could rewind the clock and send Rodgers here and Smith to GB. It's hard to bet against Rodgers, but it's also hard to imagine any QB succeeding when thrust into the situation Smith was. And Smith needed time to sit and digest things, which Rodgers got. I'm not claiming that these two are or ever would have been comparable NFL talents. Just that it would be an interesting experiment. And I am one who thinks that the shoulder injury had a longterm impact on Smith's throwing ability, such that by the time he was in a good situation, he was no longer able to really take advantage of it.

Smith was only 20 years old when he was drafted.

And he probably should have been off the team by the end of his rookie deal. They should have drafted another QB around Smith's 4th season.

Return to San Francisco 49ers