Re: Week 5: 49ers @ Cardinals 

Post#244 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 pm

I thought Lance played great and hope he's the starter week 7
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#245 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:24 pm

Well there is a lot to be said and take away from this game.

But at the moment, my 1 solace to take away is since it ended 17-10 that means that the obvious safety that stupefyingly wasn't called a safety didn't play a big factor into the outcome of the game.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#246 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:29 pm

Man its so incredibly frustrating how close this team is to a 5-0 record.

Yet, here we are entering the bye at 2-3 (0-2 in the division)
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#247 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:08 am

thesack12 wrote:Man its so incredibly frustrating how close this team is to a 5-0 record.

Yet, here we are entering the bye at 2-3 (0-2 in the division)
Also close to 0-5 or 1-4. Philly should have scored a lot more and we almost gave away game 1.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#248 » by zman1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 am

Trey had a decent game for his first start. But 16 runs is not a recipe for success. He will get injured. And can we ever pass deep?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#249 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:45 am

I was anticipating a double digit defeat so while it's disappointing there were bright spots at least.

Defense has been coming along and it feels like it's starting to come together and feels like it's finding it's grove. Cards were the most potent offense in the league coming into the game and they held them to 17 at their home with little help from the offense. What's more impressive to me is they are doing it with a pretty patchwork group of DBs.

Offensively it just felt like they weren't completely in sync with Lance as the QB and that boils down to Lance bringing a different style than Jimmy and there not being a lot of 1st team reps with Lance at the helm.

Wasn't a great day for the offensive line as they routinely got beat and at critical times. I'm not going to completely roast them for the holding calls because I that partly stems from the above mentioned different style of QB at the helm but they still committed them and it really hampered a lot of drives.

Was one of the poorer games Shanahan has called especially the 4th down calls. Wasn't a fan of how much and how they ran Lance either. Lance should augment the running attack not be the running attack and his running should be sprinkled in throughout the game not just direct snaps up the gut with him. Maybe they were called and weren't open but seems like we didn't take many deep shots either.

As far as Lance goes in perspective I'd say it was a positive outing. There are clear things that need to be worked on but nothing you didn't expect given he was raw even by rookie standards and nothing you didn't feel like wouldn't be fixed with time and experience. He looked functional operating the offense and he lead them consistently into Cardinals territory. I didn't come away feeling that we lost the game because of Trey Lance and if Jimmy G was in there we would've won but felt like there were miscues from playing calling to every part of the offense including Lance himself.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#250 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:56 am

Jikkle wrote:I was anticipating a double digit defeat so while it's disappointing there were bright spots at least.

Defense has been coming along and it feels like it's starting to come together and feels like it's finding it's grove. Cards were the most potent offense in the league coming into the game and they held them to 17 at their home with little help from the offense. What's more impressive to me is they are doing it with a pretty patchwork group of DBs.

Offensively it just felt like they weren't completely in sync with Lance as the QB and that boils down to Lance bringing a different style than Jimmy and there not being a lot of 1st team reps with Lance at the helm.

Wasn't a great day for the offensive line as they routinely got beat and at critical times. I'm not going to completely roast them for the holding calls because I that partly stems from the above mentioned different style of QB at the helm but they still committed them and it really hampered a lot of drives.

Was one of the poorer games Shanahan has called especially the 4th down calls. Wasn't a fan of how much and how they ran Lance either. Lance should augment the running attack not be the running attack and his running should be sprinkled in throughout the game not just direct snaps up the gut with him. Maybe they were called and weren't open but seems like we didn't take many deep shots either.

As far as Lance goes in perspective I'd say it was a positive outing. There are clear things that need to be worked on but nothing you didn't expect given he was raw even by rookie standards and nothing you didn't feel like wouldn't be fixed with time and experience. He looked functional operating the offense and he lead them consistently into Cardinals territory. I didn't come away feeling that we lost the game because of Trey Lance and if Jimmy G was in there we would've won but felt like there were miscues from playing calling to every part of the offense including Lance himself.

That and Lance throwing 100 mph 6 yard passes. He played good under the circumstanes but needs more experience and learning
Ray_Dogg
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 265

Post#251 » by Ray_Dogg » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:50 am

Just wanted to say McGlinchey is still trash. I hope they trade him if possible though that $10M next year might make that impossible. And My goodness Warner has become downright atrocious. Severely overpaid for how he’s been playing this year. I don’t know if it is because Saleh is gone or not having Greenlaw out there or both.

I don’t know if you go back to Jimmy or stick with Lance at this point. Lance clearly isn’t ready but is it better for him to learn on the job? I don’t know. I do feel like if you stick with Lance then it’s gonna be less likely that we return to 2019 form this season. Though with the amount of injuries we already have that is unlikely anyway. Ugh. What a disappointing season so far. I hope they can turn it around otherwise this looks to be a colossal failure in so many ways. Poor drafting in the early rounds already and now no more first round picks coming for a while.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#252 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:44 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Just wanted to say McGlinchey is still trash. I hope they trade him if possible though that $10M next year might make that impossible. And My goodness Warner has become downright atrocious. Severely overpaid for how he’s been playing this year. I don’t know if it is because Saleh is gone or not having Greenlaw out there or both.

I don’t know if you go back to Jimmy or stick with Lance at this point. Lance clearly isn’t ready but is it better for him to learn on the job? I don’t know. I do feel like if you stick with Lance then it’s gonna be less likely that we return to 2019 form this season. Though with the amount of injuries we already have that is unlikely anyway. Ugh. What a disappointing season so far. I hope they can turn it around otherwise this looks to be a colossal failure in so many ways. Poor drafting in the early rounds already and now no more first round picks coming for a while.

The correct move imo is to start Lance and just ride it out the ups and downs to get him better prepared for next season so we can make a significant run at a title.

But players and coaches are wired different from fans and they fully believe they can win so Jimmy is going to continue to start until it's basically at a point where there is little hope for the playoffs. Jimmy is the try to win now pick and Lance is the win later pick and you the locker room and coaching staff just aren't ready to give up the season yet.

For me Lance's play wasn't a huge downgrade from how the offense looked under Jimmy. And with Jimmy it's around his ceiling but with Lance it's just beginning so I see a lot more room for growth of the offense under Lance than I do Jimmy which is another reason why I'd continue to go with him. Because hopefully by the end of the season as Lance gains experience and grows the offense will look improved compared to how it looked today.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#253 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:01 am

My thought on this one:

Overall, some really encouraging signs, and a lot of heartbreak. I went into this one thinking we didn't have a chance, but actually started to think we could win toward the end. Big mistake.

I'll start with the negative, because there's plenty there. First and foremost, it's Shanahan. He's a brilliant play designer. He's a good - not great - play caller. And he's looking more and more like a mediocre head coach (at best). His personnel evaluation aside, he just seems lost in games. He's making absolutely inscrutable play calls, constantly running the QB he gave up the farm to acquire up the middle, into the teeth of NFL defenses. It's ludicrous. He's leaving this wildly inexperienced rookie in empty sets against a ferocious blitz, he's calling plays to stay in the pocket.

I was actually really pleased to see Shanahan show a lot more aggressiveness in this one, repeatedly going for it on fourth down. But the play selection just blows my mind. On the 4th and 4 late, why not roll Lance out? Give him one, maybe two reads, and if it's not there, then let him run. Instead, we just drop him back to get swallowed by the rush. This is a guy who is arguably more accurate on the run than in the pocket, and the only designed rollout I recall was the failed 4th and goal. It's just insane. It's almost as if he doesn't want his guy to succeed.

The OL play was abysmal. DL were getting into the backfield all day, and when they weren't, it was typically because someone was holding. False starts, all sorts of issues. We were constantly in negative game script, the sort of situations that we don't even try to dig ourselves out of with Garoppolo at QB, but Lance was able to do so a few times.

In terms of Lance, I was encouraged. He didn't look panicked out there. It didn't seem like the game was too big for him, though he's still got a long way to go. First and foremost, he HAS to do a better job of protecting himself. That collision on the goal line nearly gave me a heart attack. Just can't do that, even with the game on the line (which it wasn't necessarily at that time). He's still really inaccurate at times, including air mailing the INT. He's got to do a better job of avoiding batted passes. We're very lucky more of those weren't picked. But he also threw some very nice balls. I think he can play in the league, but it's going to be a while. Still, I think continuing to play him is the right call. I don't think we were any worse under him than we've been under Garoppolo.

The DL finally showed up, too. Nice pressure from multiple spots, and we were able to largely stymie one of the best offenses in the league. Offense needed to help them out more. LBs seemed to struggle in this one, with RBs regularly getting into the second and third level without contact. CBs had some real rough patches, but managed to hold up.

Aiyuk is still incapable of fielding a punt in the air, but he made some nice catches. We just have to get him more involved. He, Kittle, and Deebo should cause so many problems for defenses, but we're not taking advantage. It's got to stop.

At 2-3, effectively four games behind the Cards, I don't see a downside to playing Lance. The only way we're in the chase this year is if the light bulb turns on for him and we make a run on his back. This isn't 2019. We don't have the support on defense we did that season, and the competition in the division is stiffer. Might as well start looking toward the future.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#254 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:My thought on this one:

Overall, some really encouraging signs, and a lot of heartbreak. I went into this one thinking we didn't have a chance, but actually started to think we could win toward the end. Big mistake.

I'll start with the negative, because there's plenty there. First and foremost, it's Shanahan. He's a brilliant play designer. He's a good - not great - play caller. And he's looking more and more like a mediocre head coach (at best). His personnel evaluation aside, he just seems lost in games. He's making absolutely inscrutable play calls, constantly running the QB he gave up the farm to acquire up the middle, into the teeth of NFL defenses. It's ludicrous. He's leaving this wildly inexperienced rookie in empty sets against a ferocious blitz, he's calling plays to stay in the pocket.

I was actually really pleased to see Shanahan show a lot more aggressiveness in this one, repeatedly going for it on fourth down. But the play selection just blows my mind. On the 4th and 4 late, why not roll Lance out? Give him one, maybe two reads, and if it's not there, then let him run. Instead, we just drop him back to get swallowed by the rush. This is a guy who is arguably more accurate on the run than in the pocket, and the only designed rollout I recall was the failed 4th and goal. It's just insane. It's almost as if he doesn't want his guy to succeed.

The OL play was abysmal. DL were getting into the backfield all day, and when they weren't, it was typically because someone was holding. False starts, all sorts of issues. We were constantly in negative game script, the sort of situations that we don't even try to dig ourselves out of with Garoppolo at QB, but Lance was able to do so a few times.

In terms of Lance, I was encouraged. He didn't look panicked out there. It didn't seem like the game was too big for him, though he's still got a long way to go. First and foremost, he HAS to do a better job of protecting himself. That collision on the goal line nearly gave me a heart attack. Just can't do that, even with the game on the line (which it wasn't necessarily at that time). He's still really inaccurate at times, including air mailing the INT. He's got to do a better job of avoiding batted passes. We're very lucky more of those weren't picked. But he also threw some very nice balls. I think he can play in the league, but it's going to be a while. Still, I think continuing to play him is the right call. I don't think we were any worse under him than we've been under Garoppolo.

The DL finally showed up, too. Nice pressure from multiple spots, and we were able to largely stymie one of the best offenses in the league. Offense needed to help them out more. LBs seemed to struggle in this one, with RBs regularly getting into the second and third level without contact. CBs had some real rough patches, but managed to hold up.

Aiyuk is still incapable of fielding a punt in the air, but he made some nice catches. We just have to get him more involved. He, Kittle, and Deebo should cause so many problems for defenses, but we're not taking advantage. It's got to stop.

At 2-3, effectively four games behind the Cards, I don't see a downside to playing Lance. The only way we're in the chase this year is if the light bulb turns on for him and we make a run on his back. This isn't 2019. We don't have the support on defense we did that season, and the competition in the division is stiffer. Might as well start looking toward the future.

The oline was bad particularly the right side, but some of that was on Lance too. He missed some checkdowns and the one sack was not McClinghey's fault. Lance had a clean pocket to step into for at worst a checkdown. Instead he tried running around and the lineman was able to get around mcClinchey. That was a Russell Wilson sack where unless the lineman has eyes in the back of his head he doesn't know where the QB is
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#255 » by Jikkle » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:43 pm

Mostly about Lance but there is some in here about the defense as well.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,302

Post#256 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:41 am

Ray_Dogg wrote:Just wanted to say McGlinchey is still trash. I hope they trade him if possible though that $10M next year might make that impossible. And My goodness Warner has become downright atrocious. Severely overpaid for how he’s been playing this year. I don’t know if it is because Saleh is gone or not having Greenlaw out there or both.

Until they prove otherwise, that season is an outlier.

At this point, Kyle should be happy just to have another winning season, let alone make the playoffs, let alone reach the SB.

Thing is, Bosa played at a level which is probably his ceiling, even though he was a rookie. The productivity he had may never be repeated again during his career. Kind of like Javon Kearse, who was never as good as he was in his rookie year.

He can still be a perennial all-pro but he needs more help on the line, from the interior as well as a much more productive outside rusher on the other side.

Kittle also had a big season but it's not clear he will put up numbers like he did under the rookie contract.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#257 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm

wco81 wrote:

Until they prove otherwise, that season is an outlier.

At this point, Kyle should be happy just to have another winning season, let alone make the playoffs, let alone reach the SB.

Thing is, Bosa played at a level which is probably his ceiling, even though he was a rookie. The productivity he had may never be repeated again during his career. Kind of like Javon Kearse, who was never as good as he was in his rookie year.

He can still be a perennial all-pro but he needs more help on the line, from the interior as well as a much more productive outside rusher on the other side.

Kittle also had a big season but it's not clear he will put up numbers like he did under the rookie contract.

The defense this year is not nearly as good as that year. Bosa, Buckner, and Armstead (and Ford when healthy) wrecked shop, and we had just enough on the back end to get it done. Even then, we allowed some pretty major late-game comebacks. This defense can be solid, but it's not special. We don't have the CBs to cover, and the pass rush is not what it was. Not sure I'm willing to go to the "Bosa has peaked" level, but even if he's playing at or above his 2019 level, he's still just one guy who is more technician than physical freak.

If we're going to make any kind of a run this year, it's going to have to be the offense that does it, and I just don't have faith in Garoppolo. Frankly, I'm starting to lose faith in Shanahan. Shanahan is one of the great play designers in the league, but I just don't know that he's a great play caller. His approach to situational football is poor at best. And his handling of Lance has just been bizarre; it's almost like he wants the guy to fail.

Obviously I'm not jumping ship on the team, or even on this season, but it's hard to imagine us going the distance even if we squeak into the expanded wild card.

Return to San Francisco 49ers