ImageImageImageImageImage

Cardinals vs 49ers

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Re: Cardinals vs 49ers 

Post#281 » by Samurai » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:25 am

Scott T wrote:The Lance trade makes this all so much worse. Being a trash team and not having your next two firsts is brutal.

Yup. We expected to be a playoff-caliber team this year so our #1 pick would be pretty low. Now its looking like that could have been a very valuable pick.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#282 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:27 am

Scott T wrote:The Lance trade makes this all so much worse. Being a trash team and not having your next two firsts is brutal.

The silver lining there is, 9ers already have their QB prospect for the future and the upcoming draft isn't too highly regarded for QB's.

But yeah, not having a 1st to look forward to definitely sucks
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#283 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:30 am

This loss should eliminate the Odell Beckham talk, not sure how realistic it was in the first place.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,700

Post#284 » by SfBull » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:33 am

thesack12 wrote:I've been advocating that the team still has a solid chance at the playoffs, but its becoming more and more clear that this is a decidedly mediocre team that isn't nearly good enough to overcome the pile of bad mistakes they make each and every week.

Yes we still have chances of getting a wildcard spot but too bad probably ending this season at division's bottom.I think it's time for playing and developing the rookies including Lance.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#285 » by Samurai » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:40 am

SfBull wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I've been advocating that the team still has a solid chance at the playoffs, but its becoming more and more clear that this is a decidedly mediocre team that isn't nearly good enough to overcome the pile of bad mistakes they make each and every week.

Yes we still have chances of getting a wildcard spot but too bad probably ending this season at division's bottom.I think it's time for playing and developing the rookies including Lance.

So if we are punting this season, should Lynch be working the phones to see what kind of pick we can get for Jimmy G? The Saints are still in the playoff picture and could use an experienced starting QB.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#286 » by SfBull » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:44 am

Samurai wrote:
SfBull wrote:

So if we are punting this season, should Lynch be working the phones to see what kind of pick we can get for Jimmy G? The Saints are still in the playoff picture and could use an experienced starting QB.

I'm not sure he'd do that .This front office seems to have an infinite faith in Jimmy G.But it'd be a good idea.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#287 » by TheMonarch » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:45 am

Trade deadline is over. Can't trade Jimmy now
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#288 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:48 am

So those two turnovers hurt a lot, especially when defense was so poor and gave up big explosive plays to the Cardinals.

I would argue that fumbles fighting for extra yardage is partly a coaching failure. They should generally be emphasizing ball protection but especially when they were getting good chunk yardage, especially in the first half. So why fight for an extra yard or two and cough up the football?

And this game wasn't the first game where this happened. Deebo has done this a couple of times in his career.

Players press because the team is behind and they go for extra couple of yards. Sometimes they break tackles and make big game-changing plays. Other times you give up the ball.

You saw Mitchell later on put two hands on the ball. Yeah the coaches emphasized ball protection a little too late.

This team has the feel of one of the Nolan or Singletary teams. They are able to make some plays, make gains but they pressed hard and would fumble at inopportune times. They never got over the hump under those coaches. Then Harbaugh came in and many of the same players were much better and smarter, because they were coached up better.

I've already said the team has hit its ceiling with Kyle in charge (not just as HC but in personnel matters). But the team is showing signs of regression.
SfBull
Head Coach

Post#289 » by SfBull » Mon Nov 8, 2021 12:52 am

wco81 wrote:So those two turnovers hurt a lot, especially when defense was so poor and gave up big explosive plays to the Cardinals.

I would argue that fumbles fighting for extra yardage is partly a coaching failure. They should generally be emphasizing ball protection but especially when they were getting good chunk yardage, especially in the first half. So why fight for an extra yard or two and cough up the football?

And this game wasn't the first game where this happened. Deebo has done this a couple of times in his career.

Players press because the team is behind and they go for extra couple of yards. Sometimes they break tackles and make big game-changing plays. Other times you give up the ball.

You saw Mitchell later on put two hands on the ball. Yeah the coaches emphasized ball protection a little too late.

This team has the feel of one of the Nolan or Singletary teams. They are able to make some plays, make gains but they pressed hard and would fumble at inopportune times. They never got over the hump under those coaches. Then Harbaugh came in and many of the same players were much better and smarter, because they were coached up better.

I've already said the team has hit its ceiling with Kyle in charge (not just as HC but in personnel matters). But the team is showing signs of regression.

So maybe it's time for Kyle to be gone by the offseason.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#290 » by TheMonarch » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:20 am

I highly doubt they fire Kyle, not when he just got a young QB. They need to make a change with Lynch though, someone else needs to be in charge of the draft.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#291 » by Samurai » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:41 am

TheMonarch wrote:I highly doubt they fire Kyle, not when he just got a young QB. They need to make a change with Lynch though, someone else needs to be in charge of the draft.

I doubt that neither Shanahan or Lynch are going anywhere soon. But they should bring on a consultant to specifically provide input on draft picks. That way the team can still retain the benefits both bring while limiting their shortcomings in terms of draft evaluation.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#292 » by Jikkle » Mon Nov 8, 2021 1:46 am

Easily the worst loss this season.

Just a flat out terrible defensive performance against a team that was putting a preseason offense on the field. There is 0 excuses for giving up 31 points before the midway point in the 3rd quarter.

Offensively the two turnovers were just devastating as the Kittle one gave them decent field position and the Aiyuk one would've been prime scoring position. Aside from the turnovers the offense was just fine. Wasn't great, wasn't bad. Jimmy G was basically Jimmy G in that he plays fine when things work but doesn't plays well when things aren't working so not really the reason we lost but didn't do much to win it either.

Ultimately I could've tolerated a loss if it was something like 17 to 13 because the Cardinals still have a good defense but giving up 31 points is just a tough pill to swallow.

Doubt they pull the trigger now but if/when they lose to the Rams they need to put Lance and the other rookies in. This past draft felt like they were gearing up for 2022 and the Lance era anyways so might as well get guys in there and start getting experience.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#293 » by Jikkle » Mon Nov 8, 2021 6:57 am

They should really offer up some partial refund for season ticket owners as the 9ers are the only team outside the 0-8 Lions to be winless at home so far this season.

And really the Lions should have a win at home if the refs don't blow the obvious delay of game call that should've ended the game against the Ravens.

The winless streak extends at home beyond this season and the last home game they've won was against the Rams on 10/17/2020 which means it could be well over 13 months before they win at home again.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#294 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Nov 8, 2021 5:52 pm

This might be the worst defensive performance of the Shanahan era. Reminds me again of the Jim O'Neil and Eric Mangini years. Even with the injuries I can't imagine this defense would have played this poorly if Saleh was still DC. If the season ends this way, it is time for York to step in and make some changes. You can't go through every season full of injuries and too many draft picks that don't pan out. With Lance taking two future No 1. picks it is going to be even more critical to hit on the others. At a minimum it might be time to evaluate the personnel responsible to making draft day decisions which starts with Lynch and Shanahan.

Return to San Francisco 49ers