ImageImageImageImageImage

The GTFO Jimmy Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#181 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Mar 6, 2022 2:42 pm

Yeah, I was going to say, my hopes for Banks are being rekindled a bit as we have this conversation and I realize that much of what I've said about Lance could also apply to a guy like Banks. Arguably Sermon as well, though we had a rookie leading us at that position, so that's more of a knock on him. But Banks is a subpar athlete who we took way too early, so that continues to concern me.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#182 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=uDAdBI5ftT5OTAX5aZsErg
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#183 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:47 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xcM_hmJ5oWMzjnQaeC5wug
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#184 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:07 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xcM_hmJ5oWMzjnQaeC5wug

I feel the sudden Jimmy G love is due to typical the backup QB is always the best QB mentality especially among talking head types who trashed Jimmy G for years and now suddenly the 9ers have to start him because the team is ready to win now despite the fact they've said for years they said the 9ers can't win a championship with him and he's along for the ride.

I've been on record here that I don't hate Jimmy G and now I'm glad he's back because at least he does give you a chance whereas Sudfield would've been a completely lost season.

But what we saw today was the same ole Jimmy G and if Lance missed on some of the throws Jimmy did people would be screaming about how big of a bust he is.

So I still firmly believe the team is a playoff team with Jimmy G and with as shakey as the NFC is right now it's not impossible for him to lead them to a Super Bowl. I just can't them beating whoever is representing the AFC.

I know it's the same with Lance but with Lance you're developing him hoping that he hits a much higher ceiling than Jimmy and can be that guy that wins it all.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#185 » by Mac1958 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 am

What a story. Trey goes down right away, Jimmy is back. I'm happy for Jimmy.

At the same time, not only do I want Trey to succeed, but I'm hoping the trade that got him doesn't end up being one of the worst in NFL history.

All kinds of branches on this tree.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Post#187 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:11 pm

Jimmy threw some long passes soon after he got in the game. Maybe he wants to put it on tape that his shoulder is okay?
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#188 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=ryVcoONPdBm2GxJj5XPcew
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#189 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:04 pm

I so wanna sticky this thread... lol
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
wco81
RealGM

Post#190 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:08 pm

Jimmy played his best when he was first traded and they had that 6-game winning streak

IOW, that was BEFORE he learned Kyle Shanahan's offense.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#191 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:34 pm

wco81 wrote:Jimmy played his best when he was first traded and they had that 6-game winning streak

IOW, that was BEFORE he learned Kyle Shanahan's offense.

I will say, I don't think Jimmy is a good fit for Shanahan's offense. There's an element of paralysis by analysis. Not that Jimmy freezes up, he just doesn't seem capable of accounting for the things that Shanahan needs him to. I think Trey may be better-suited for it mentally and personality-wise, but it will take him time to get comfortable in it while also adjusting to the NFL game. More so now, obviously.

In the meantime, I have no answers. Denver should have a pretty good defense, but we're all aware that K'Waun Williams is pretty easy to exploit in coverage, and we couldn't go it (granted it requires competent deep passing to do so). Their pass rush wasn't doing much of anything early in the game, our receivers were getting open, and the offense still stagnated. It's really troubling.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#192 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:56 pm

Worst play in NFL history? Hard to argue against it. It's pretty grim when you, the fan, are shouting, "Wait, it can't be a pick-six because it's already a safety!!!" I don't even know what Shanahan would have said to Jimmy after that one.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#193 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

Worst play in NFL history? Hard to argue against it. It's pretty grim when you, the fan, are shouting, "Wait, it can't be a pick-six because it's already a safety!!!" I don't even know what Shanahan would have said to Jimmy after that one.

Godawful play? Of course
Terrible field awareness? Yup
Worst play of all time? Umm, no.

Off the top of my head I can think of several MUCH worse plays.

1) Leon Lett coming from nowhere to touch the blocked FG, literally changing the outcome of the game
2) Desean Jackson's showboating flip of the ball behind his back before crossing the goal line
3) Colts unbelievably stupefying "fake punt" with like only 2 dudes on the line
4) Kyler Murray's lob ball flick over his head in his own end zone for the gimme pick 6 in last year's playoffs
5) That one classic play from the 60s where the guy returns a fumble the wrong direction and scores a safety for the other team

Those are just off the top of my head.

There are numerous other plays that are worse than Jimmy's blunder. Many of which had more direct impact on deciding games, and in some cases in much higher stakes (playoffs.)

As for what Shanahan said to Jimmy afterwards, who knows. But since then Kyle has taken blame for it, since he called a play with 5 step drop there. Of course, that doesn't absolve Jimmy's stupidity with bad field awareness.
wco81
RealGM

Post#194 » by wco81 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:37 pm

That play didn't fool the Broncos. As soon as Jimmy turned his head after the ball fake, there were two Broncos from the backside, coming at him rather than chasing the RB.

I don't know who else they had on the route on that play, if they're like the players who were chasing Jimmy, they weren't fooled so probably nobody open

So Jimmy panicked and tried to throw to the RB on the flat and there was a DB there as well.

He should have just thrown it out of bounds, way over the head of the RB.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#195 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:50 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Godawful play? Of course

1) Leon Lett coming from nowhere to touch the blocked FG, literally changing the outcome of the game
2) Desean Jackson's showboating flip of the ball behind his back before crossing the goal line
4) Kyler Murray's lob ball flick over his head in his own end zone for the gimme pick 6 in last year's playoffs
5) That one classic play from the 60s where the guy returns a fumble the wrong direction and scores a safety for the other team

There are numerous other plays that are worse than Jimmy's blunder. Many of which had more direct impact on deciding games, and in some cases in much higher stakes (playoffs.)

As for what Shanahan said to Jimmy afterwards, who knows. But since then Kyle has taken blame for it, since he called a play with 5 step drop there. Of course, that doesn't absolve Jimmy's stupidity with bad field awareness.

Those are all classics. But I think Jimmy's blunder is right up there with any of them.

The Murray play is perhaps the closest analog, and it's awful. But at least in his case it was third down. His offense had produced -10 yards on four drives, and the three preceding drives all went for negative numbers. They were trailing 14-0. A little desperation was understandable there. He was hit, he was going down, and he just threw a wing and a prayer.

Compare that with Jimmy, who was facing a second down in a tight game his team was winning. The defense had allowed one tolerable drive and only three points. He not only obliviously stepped out of bounds, he then made an incredibly stupid decision to throw to the outside while falling backward to a tightly covered running back. The potential benefit of a completion there was to get the ball back where we had started, or where we would have been if the ball sailed out of bounds. The drawback was to lose the game.
wco81
RealGM

Post#196 » by wco81 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pm

But those blunders weren't heavily influenced by a poor play call, in the wrong part of the field like this one.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#197 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:05 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Godawful play? Of course

Those are all classics. But I think Jimmy's blunder is right up there with any of them.

The Murray play is perhaps the closest analog, and it's awful. But at least in his case it was third down. His offense had produced -10 yards on four drives, and the three preceding drives all went for negative numbers. They were trailing 14-0. A little desperation was understandable there. He was hit, he was going down, and he just threw a wing and a prayer.

Compare that with Jimmy, who was facing a second down in a tight game his team was winning. The defense had allowed one tolerable drive and only three points. He not only obliviously stepped out of bounds, he then made an incredibly stupid decision to throw to the outside while falling backward to a tightly covered running back. The potential benefit of a completion there was to get the ball back where we had started, or where we would have been if the ball sailed out of bounds. The drawback was to lose the game.

I'll agree that the Kyler Murray play was the most similar in terms of field position, how the play progressed, etc, but the question asked wasn't what is a comparably bad play the question was is it the worst play of all time. And the answer to that is unequivocally no.

All of the Leon Lett, Desean Jackson, Colts "fake punt", and dude returning the ball the wrong direction were completely un-necessary in that they were not caused by being under any kind of duress during the play as it happened live.

At least with the Kyler play and Jimmy play they were under pressure and forced to try to take action to avoid negative play. In other words the Defense forced them into making a terrible decision. Whereas all those other plays were 100% self induced blunders.

As for the Kyler play specifically, it happened halfway through the 2nd quarter. You are talking like the game was basically over. If he takes the sack/safety there we are talking about a 16-0 game, which is still only a 2 possession game with 2.5 quarters left to play. I get he's desperate and trying to make something happen, however he literally no-looked a lob "pass" over his head while in his own end zone. And of course this happened in a playoff game. There is a difference between making a terrible no look lob pass that never had a chance, and just making a terrible throw that the defender picks off.

Anyways, For me the Leon Lett play is easily the worst on this list. Like I said earlier it literally and directly changed the outcome of that game. All the Cowboys had to do was walk off the field, take a knee on the next play and go home with a W. Instead Leon decided he's going to come out of nowhere and slide right into the ball. Its not like he was in close proximity to the ball and he just slipped and fell into the ball. No, the dude literally comes flying in from left field, and slides right into the ball. It was beyond stupid, the play (and game) was essentially over. When your 1 stupid (unprecedented) decision/act that was 100% entirely on you without any influence of being under duress, literally changes the outcome of the game. Then yeah, that is immensely worse than Jimmy's safety.

Stepping out of bounds for a safety, as incredibly stupid as it was, halfway through the 3rd quarter in a week 3 game is hardly WPOAT caliber.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#198 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:02 pm

thesack12 wrote:I'll agree that the Kyler Murray play was the most similar in terms of field position, how the play progressed, etc, but the question asked wasn't what is a comparably bad play the question was is it the worst play of all time. And the answer to that is unequivocally no.

All of the Leon Lett, Desean Jackson, Colts "fake punt", and dude returning the ball the wrong direction were completely un-necessary in that they were not caused by being under any kind of duress during the play as it happened live.

At least with the Kyler play and Jimmy play they were under pressure and forced to try to take action to avoid negative play. In other words the Defense forced them into making a terrible decision. Whereas all those other plays were 100% self induced blunders.

As for the Kyler play specifically, it happened halfway through the 2nd quarter. You are talking like the game was basically over. If he takes the sack/safety there we are talking about a 16-0 game, which is still only a 2 possession game with 2.5 quarters left to play. I get he's desperate and trying to make something happen, however he literally no-looked a lob "pass" over his head while in his own end zone. And of course this happened in a playoff game. There is a difference between making a terrible no look lob pass that never had a chance, and just making a terrible throw that the defender picks off.

Anyways, For me the Leon Lett play is easily the worst on this list. Like I said earlier it literally and directly changed the outcome of that game. All the Cowboys had to do was walk off the field, take a knee on the next play and go home with a W. Instead Leon decided he's going to come out of nowhere and slide right into the ball. Its not like he was in close proximity to the ball and he just slipped and fell into the ball. No, the dude literally comes flying in from left field, and slides right into the ball. It was beyond stupid, the play (and game) was essentially over. When your 1 stupid (unprecedented) decision/act that was 100% entirely on you without any influence of being under duress, literally changes the outcome of the game. Then yeah, that is immensely worse than Jimmy's safety.

Stepping out of bounds for a safety, as incredibly stupid as it was, halfway through the 3rd quarter in a week 3 game is hardly WPOAT caliber.

Re-watched a bunch of those plays. That was good for a laugh. To distinguish:

Colts fake punt was absolutely hilarious. I mean, what in the hell was that? But that's a coaching/playcall issue, not an individual execution thing - except that the "QB" seemed to have no idea the center was snapping the ball, and the center basically made no effort to block either of the two guys who were lined up right on top of him.

DeSean Jackson was incredibly asinine, but we've seen that sort of play a number of times in pro ball and college. Incredibly dumb, and maybe on par with Jimmy stepping out of the endzone, but Jimmy then made a horrible decision to throw.

Running the wrong way is incredible. Just, how? But again, I put that basically up there with the brain fart of stepping out of the endzone. Jimmy compounded this by making the terrible throwing decision.

Same thing with Leon Lett. Hilarious play, but just a single, admittedly inexplicable flub where the dude just doesn't know the fairly obscure rule.

Look, the worst play ever is probably hyperbole, but the fact someone could even say that with a straight face is embarrassing. It combines two just unforgivable errors of obliviously stepping out of the endzone, and then compounding that by making just an awful, awful, awful decision to throw outside while fading away in your own endzone to a RB who has a defender draped all over him. It just shows a total and utter lack of awareness of the field, the players, the situation. I think it's right up there with those other plays, and arguably worse because it's from a 30-year-old veteran QB in his 9th season and 48th career start.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#199 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:04 pm

And as far as the Kyler play, sure, it was relatively early in the game, and it turned what was looking like a blowout into a clear blowout. But Jimmy's team was WINNING THE GAME. The defense had been dominant. It wasn't even third down, where you feel more pressure to make a play. Just don't make a colossal mistake in judgment, and there's a very good chance your team carries the day. Instead, he made two, and it arguably was the reason (granted among MANY more) that we lost the game.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#200 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:23 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I'll agree that the Kyler Murray play was the most similar in terms of field position, how the play progressed, etc, but the question asked wasn't what is a comparably bad play the question was is it the worst play of all time. And the answer to that is unequivocally no.

Re-watched a bunch of those plays. That was good for a laugh. To distinguish:

Colts fake punt was absolutely hilarious. I mean, what in the hell was that? But that's a coaching/playcall issue, not an individual execution thing - except that the "QB" seemed to have no idea the center was snapping the ball, and the center basically made no effort to block either of the two guys who were lined up right on top of him.

DeSean Jackson was incredibly asinine, but we've seen that sort of play a number of times in pro ball and college. Incredibly dumb, and maybe on par with Jimmy stepping out of the endzone, but Jimmy then made a horrible decision to throw.

Running the wrong way is incredible. Just, how? But again, I put that basically up there with the brain fart of stepping out of the endzone. Jimmy compounded this by making the terrible throwing decision.

Same thing with Leon Lett. Hilarious play, but just a single, admittedly inexplicable flub where the dude just doesn't know the fairly obscure rule.

Look, the worst play ever is probably hyperbole, but the fact someone could even say that with a straight face is embarrassing. It combines two just unforgivable errors of obliviously stepping out of the endzone, and then compounding that by making just an awful, awful, awful decision to throw outside while fading away in your own endzone to a RB who has a defender draped all over him. It just shows a total and utter lack of awareness of the field, the players, the situation. I think it's right up there with those other plays, and arguably worse because it's from a 30-year-old veteran QB in his 9th season and 48th career start.

We aren't debating individual execution here. We are discussing what the worst play of all time might be. The WPOAT debate is all encompassing to include the situation, who committed the gaffe or what position they play, how the play transpired, how much influence the opposing team had on the play, the playcall, what the end result was, and everything thing else hat make up the fabric of a play.

That being said, you could actually make a case that the Colts "fake punt" deserves strong consideration for being on the Mt Rushmore of all time worst plays. I mean it was completely obvious to anyone with eyes that whatever the hell they were thinking or trying to do wasn't going to work. Yet, NOBODY on the Colts decided to call timeout there and regroup. Hell, even taking a delay of game penalty there is basically harmless. But no they decided to actually snap the ball and in the worst pre-snap alignment of personnel you will ever see in your life. And since this was a "fake punt" it was obviously on 4th down which resulted in the easiest 4th down stop/turnover on downs we'll see in our lifetimes. I live in Indianapolis, and I can personally attest to the legendary status of this play. People around here will never forget it, and it still gets talked about frequently. The fact that they did this against their bitter rival, the Patriots enhances the lore of that one legendary play.

Also, you keep mentioned Jimmy compounding his mistake by throwing the ball. While yes, that actually happened but the play was blown dead immediately after he stepped out of bounds, so everything that happened after that was fodder. While it absolutely made it more embarrassing, it didn't actually mean anything. The possibility also exists that Jimmy heard the play being blown dead, and then just decided to throw the ball. We'll never know if that's actually the case, but in any event the play was idiotically stepping out of bounds for a safety and then it was over. No INT, no pick 6, none of that.

Coming back to the Leon Lett play for a minute, as I mentioned earlier that play literally and directly changed the outcome of the game. And the fact that it was un-necessary in that he was not under any type of duress and 100% of Leon's own volition, makes it completely unforgivable. For me, a play that literally changes the outcome of a game far outranks a stepping out of bounds for a safety.

Return to San Francisco 49ers