ImageImageImageImageImage

The GTFO Jimmy Thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#221 » by wco81 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:12 am

These are some crazy YAC he's getting on his pass plays, like the long TD to Deebo, though he clearly made off schedule plays on two of the TD passes he threw.

Purdy likes to spin clockwise when there's pressure and go towards the left sideline when there's a rush.

He threw the ball away a couple of times but then on the TD to Mitchell, he started spinning and stopped and rolled out right.

There were one or two other plays in which he could have rolled out right to evade pressure and didn't.

Sure he practiced that spin move but maybe the team thinks he's more likely to get out of the pocket behind Williams rather than on McGlinchey's side.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#222 » by zman1 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:36 pm

I am very pleased with how Shanahan is running the offense with this rookie qb. Most coaches would go super conservative, playing into the defenses hands. Instead he has opened it up: passing more on first down, throwing deeper passes. And the kid of course has handled it superbly. Teams are loading up to stop our strong run game but it isn't helping as Purdy is beating them with the pass.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#223 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:59 am

zman1 wrote:I am very pleased with how Shanahan is running the offense with this rookie qb. Most coaches would go super conservative, playing into the defenses hands. Instead he has opened it up: passing more on first down, throwing deeper passes. And the kid of course has handled it superbly. Teams are loading up to stop our strong run game but it isn't helping as Purdy is beating them with the pass.

Shanahan has left Purdy throw since day one. I think.it is what we don't see in practice. Purdy was probably showing well in practice. Quite a contrast with Lance where Shanahan showed very little trust in. I think there was some truth in those early reports about Lance
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#224 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:18 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
zman1 wrote:I am very pleased with how Shanahan is running the offense with this rookie qb. Most coaches would go super conservative, playing into the defenses hands. Instead he has opened it up: passing more on first down, throwing deeper passes. And the kid of course has handled it superbly. Teams are loading up to stop our strong run game but it isn't helping as Purdy is beating them with the pass.

Shanahan has left Purdy throw since day one. I think.it is what we don't see in practice. Purdy was probably showing well in practice. Quite a contrast with Lance where Shanahan showed very little trust in. I think there was some truth in those early reports about Lance

Purdy came out of college with a lot of game experience from college even compared to a lot of QBs that come out. So he was simply a more refined product coming out of college compared to Lance.

Lance they know he needs game experience and I'm sure the plan was to start slowly and ramp it up as the season went on and hope by playoff time you could open the offense up like we've seen under Purdy.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#225 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:53 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Purdy came out of college with a lot of game experience from college even compared to a lot of QBs that come out. So he was simply a more refined product coming out of college compared to Lance.

Lance they know he needs game experience and I'm sure the plan was to start slowly and ramp it up as the season went on and hope by playoff time you could open the offense up like we've seen under Purdy.

That is all true coming out of college but Lance had the whole offseason as the starting QB. There were alot of reports coming out of the 49ers organization before the season started. While much of that was probably over-exxagerated, it would not surprise me if the team was hoping that Lance was farther along in his development to start the season. Unlike most teams that are starting such a QB, the 49ers are trying win a Super Bowl now, I can't imagine Shanahan's expectation was to play Lance like Lamar Jackson. Conservative is one thing, but when you can't trust your QB to make a simple pass completion on third down and four that says alot. One thing for sure, this is going to be an interesting offseason. Purdy has probably shown enough that Lance isn't going to automatically named starter during the offseason.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#226 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,454

Post#227 » by Big J » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:51 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I will bet anyone that he wins more games than Purdy next year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#228 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:59 pm

Big J wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If both are healthy, I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. Even with the Niners playing a first place schedule vs. the Raiders' third place schedule. But Brock's arm is a real question mark. And Jimmy is fairly likely to miss some time, too.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,454

Post#229 » by Big J » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:27 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If both are healthy, I'd take that bet in a heartbeat. Even with the Niners playing a first place schedule vs. the Raiders' third place schedule. But Brock's arm is a real question mark. And Jimmy is fairly likely to miss some time, too.

What about Lance?
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#230 » by thesack12 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:28 pm

Derek Carr for $35 mil or Jimmy for $25 mil?

That's an easy choice....

Man, the Saints must really value QB's who turn the ball over a ton. Not long after signing Jameis Winston to be their guy after leading the league in picks, they now throw a monster bag at Derek Carr who was only 1 INT behind the league lead despite being benched and told to go home while missing the last 2 games of the season.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,519

Post#231 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:29 pm

Good luck Jimmy, thanks for the memories
thesack12
RealGM

Post#232 » by thesack12 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:36 pm

Anyways, its a pretty good fit for Jimmy. The familiarity with McDaniels and his system certainly helps.

Also, Vegas has a solid collection of weapons. Adams is still right there among the best WR's in the league, and Waller is one of the better TE's. Josh Jacobs is also a very good RB, so the running game is solid. I also think that Jimmy and Hunter Renfrow's skill sets matchup well, so there is good potential for Hunter to emerge as one of the better WR2 for all you fantasy football players out there.

One thing is for sure, Davante Adams is clearly the best deep threat guy Jimmy has ever played with. Downfield passing is not Jimmy's strong suit, but to be fair the 9ers offense/personnel wasn't built to consistently challenge downfield. So it will be interesting to see how much of that deepfield stuff McD can utilize.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#233 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:25 pm

Big J wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

With the Raiders defense that is a crazy bet
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#234 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:29 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

What about Lance?

If Purdy is healthy, I think it's his job. Unless he's not ready week one and Lance absolutely balls out. But we haven't seen that from Lance to date.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#235 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:32 pm

thesack12 wrote:Anyways, its a pretty good fit for Jimmy. The familiarity with McDaniels and his system certainly helps.

Also, Vegas has a solid collection of weapons. Adams is still right there among the best WR's in the league, and Waller is one of the better TE's. Josh Jacobs is also a very good RB, so the running game is solid. I also think that Jimmy and Hunter Renfrow's skill sets matchup well, so there is good potential for Hunter to emerge as one of the better WR2 for all you fantasy football players out there.

One thing is for sure, Davante Adams is clearly the best deep threat guy Jimmy has ever played with. Downfield passing is not Jimmy's strong suit, but to be fair the 9ers offense/personnel wasn't built to consistently challenge downfield. So it will be interesting to see how much of that deepfield stuff McD can utilize.

Go back and watch some of Shanahan's playcalling with Matt Ryan at QB. He called downfield throws a lot. I think there's a strong likelihood that Shanahan would call more downfield shots with a QB who can consistently make those throws. Granted he hasn't seemed to pursue that sort of player with the Niners. Even Lance, who at least has the arm for it, was fairly awful throwing downfield in college.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#236 » by thesack12 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:25 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Anyways, its a pretty good fit for Jimmy. The familiarity with McDaniels and his system certainly helps.

Go back and watch some of Shanahan's playcalling with Matt Ryan at QB. He called downfield throws a lot. I think there's a strong likelihood that Shanahan would call more downfield shots with a QB who can consistently make those throws. Granted he hasn't seemed to pursue that sort of player with the Niners. Even Lance, who at least has the arm for it, was fairly awful throwing downfield in college.

You didn't mention the biggest component to that Atlanta offense... Julio Jones.

Matt Ryan, will never get included among the stronger arm QB's. Of course that in of itself doesn't mean a QB can't challenge downfield. However when you have a dude like Julio, the QB's margin for error on those deep passes goes up considerably. Julio was super fast, tall with a stout frame and muscle mass, had long arms, and a huge vertical. Julio was "open" most of the time. He had a GARGANTUAN catch radius, and a historic blend of size/speed/physicality/athleticism/skills.

In other words, all Ryan had to do was get the ball within the general vicinity of Julio and he could go get it. As a ripple effect, since Julio was dominant of course that led to him drawing constant double teams and occasional triple teams, which opened the field up for the secondary receivers like Gabriel, Sanu.

Coming into Atlanta as the OC, Kyle inherited Ryan and Jones. Because Kyle is a good coach, he built that Atlanta offense around the personnel instead of trying to force "his style." He did the same thing while he was in Washington when he had RG3. His Redskins system was quite different than his Falcons offense. Building your system around your personnel, is what coaches should do.

When Kyle got to SF to be the head coach, it was his first (Only?) time to be the main voice in personnel decisions on the offensive side of the ball. In other words, he has had the ability to bring in his own players. Which means, he has been able to build his personnel around the preferred stye of offense he wants to run. Unlike his previous stops, In SF he hasn't been adapting to an already established talent base, he is establishing the talent base around what traits/skillsets he wants. This includes the original Jimmy Garoppolo acquisition.

Long story short, I completely agree with you that Kyle has not pursued players with + downfield ability. I don't think that is coincidence, I thinks its been intentional. Kyle seemingly doesn't want a downfield passing attack to play an important role in his scheme.

As for Garoppolo specifically, this is from 2020 after the 2019 Super Bowl season...

Read on Twitter

Of course some context is needed here, because Garoppolo's downfield attempts are lower than a lot of QB's. Still it shows that he's not entirely incapable, he just wasn't asked to do it a whole lot.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#237 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:15 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

You didn't mention the biggest component to that Atlanta offense... Julio Jones.

Matt Ryan, will never get included among the stronger arm QB's. Of course that in of itself doesn't mean a QB can't challenge downfield. However when you have a dude like Julio, the QB's margin for error on those deep passes goes up considerably. Julio was super fast, tall with a stout frame and muscle mass, had long arms, and a huge vertical. Julio was "open" most of the time. He had a GARGANTUAN catch radius, and a historic blend of size/speed/physicality/athleticism/skills.

In other words, all Ryan had to do was get the ball within the general vicinity of Julio and he could go get it. As a ripple effect, since Julio was dominant of course that led to him drawing constant double teams and occasional triple teams, which opened the field up for the secondary receivers like Gabriel, Sanu.

Coming into Atlanta as the OC, Kyle inherited Ryan and Jones. Because Kyle is a good coach, he built that Atlanta offense around the personnel instead of trying to force "his style." He did the same thing while he was in Washington when he had RG3. His Redskins system was quite different than his Falcons offense. Building your system around your personnel, is what coaches should do.

When Kyle got to SF to be the head coach, it was his first (Only?) time to be the main voice in personnel decisions on the offensive side of the ball. In other words, he has had the ability to bring in his own players. Which means, he has been able to build his personnel around the preferred stye of offense he wants to run. Unlike his previous stops, In SF he hasn't been adapting to an already established talent base, he is establishing the talent base around what traits/skillsets he wants. This includes the original Jimmy Garoppolo acquisition.

Long story short, I completely agree with you that Kyle has not pursued players with + downfield ability. I don't think that is coincidence, I thinks its been intentional. Kyle seemingly doesn't want a downfield passing attack to play an important role in his scheme.

As for Garoppolo specifically, this is from 2020 after the 2019 Super Bowl season...

Read on Twitter

Of course some context is needed here, because Garoppolo's downfield attempts are lower than a lot of QB's. Still it shows that he's not entirely incapable, he just wasn't asked to do it a whole lot.

Yeah, it's odd. Shanahan does call a fair number of shot plays for the offense, but as often as not it's to the blocking TE or Juice slipping out of the backfield. Aiyuk has some ability down the field, but he's not a prototypical deep threat. It does seem at this point that we can say it's not a priority for Shanahan. He might have thought Lance could do that with more consistency, but Lance was actually one of the less accurate deep-ball throwers in that class.

As for Jimmy specifically, we discussed this at the time, but that absurd success rate is based largely on the offense, which got guys wide open downfield occasionally, and Jimmy's aversion to throwing downfield unless the guy was wide open. He very rarely threw into tight coverage downfield, and almost never to the sidelines.

Return to San Francisco 49ers