Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#161 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
SfBull wrote:I loved Kyle's hiring but grew frustrated with his stubbornness.But you said it right ,Lynch and him assembled a very strong group of coaches and an especially strong move was finding Demeco Ryans for Saleh's place,the defense carried the Niners for the 2nd half on . With the West growing stronger every season Kyle's work needs to be better .

I don't see the west growing stronger. I see it potentially growing weaker over the next few seasons. The Seahawks have the oldest coach in the NFL and a QB close to his mid 30s that relies on speed and elusiveness. The Rams are all in now but face a day of reckoning down the road. Not sure about where Arizona is headed

I think the Seahawks have a chance to bounce back a bit from their down season and they'll have some cap space to play with so they could improve as well. Rams are facing some cap issues and not having draft picks is starting to chip away at their non superstar talent. Cardinals have minor cap issues but they just seem like they'll be constantly inconsistent under Kingbury.

9ers have cap issues as well but once they trade Jimmy G they'll get some breathing room. Dee Ford retiring would help since he's almost certain to not play again as well. It'll boil down to Lance though and if he's a hit the 9ers could be the dominant NFC team the next few years as some of the stronger teams in the NFC are in a mess with the cap or in the Bucs case lost their QB.

Seattle could bounce back and have a better year next year. I am think not only of next year but the next several years. Assuming Wilson comes back, he is turning 34 years old next season. He is at the age when physical skills can really start to diminish. Not sure the brand of sandlot ball he has been so good at during his career will be easy moving forward as the ability to elude defenders will be much tougher. Can he transition into a player that makes his living out of the pocket? The jury is still out on that one. And how long will JS carry on for and continue to be effective?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Post#162 » by wco81 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:We can debate all the stats we want but Jimmy G is just an above average QB and if you want to argue average I wouldn't fight you on that given his propensity to throw INTs.

Moving on from Jimmy G is more about him hitting his ceiling as a player and wanting even more production and also him being injured all of the time as I think he had one completely healthy season with the team which is pretty bad for a QB that doesn't run really.

It's another Alex Smith vs Mahomes situation as Alex Smith would've gotten the Chiefs to the playoffs and maybe won a game or two but he wasn't to do what Mahomes did and get you to back to back SB and nearly a 3rd 3 years in a row.

Not saying Lance will be Mahomes but he's definitely more talented than Jimmy and has the potential to be in that conversation with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, and etc.

I don't question the decision to move on from Jimmy.

But it's still an open question whether Lance will be the right person.

We won't know for 2-3 more years at least.

I'm not as sold on Mac Jones as many Pats fans are. But if the trade was never made, would the order have gone like it did?

That would mean the 49ers might have been able to draft Fields. Or maybe Lance still might have been available at #12.

At a minimum, they could have drafted Parsons at #12. I know they signed Warner to big money but I'm assuming scouting showed Parsons could be a good edge rusher.

Sure, they pretty much had to draft a QB because of Jimmy's contract situation.

I hope Lance works out and hits his ceiling. Otherwise, it will be an expensive blunder.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#163 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:45 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jimmy is absolutely a big part of our offensive success during the 2019 and 2021 seasons. Of course he is, he's the QB. But he plays in a QB-friendly system that is predicated on getting the ball to playmakers in space and letting them make the plays. And he's done so with Kittle and Samuel, who are two of the most unique YAC players in NFL history, playing almost full seasons both years.

You contrast 2019 and 2021 with Mullens' performance in 2020, which is fair...except when it's not.

To begin, Mullens only attempted just over half of the passes that season. Jimmy started six games that year and had the lowest completion percentage (67.1), YPA (7.8), and TD to INT ratio (7 to 5) of that three-year span, and CJ Beathard attempted 104 passes. Then you have to consider the supporting cast.

In 2020, Kittle only played in one of Mullens' starts. He put up 15 receptions on 15 targets for 183 yards and a TD in that one game, which was by far his best game of that season and probably the third-best of his career. Keep in mind that in eight starts with Mullens at QB in 2018, Kittle averaged 99 yards a game and had three TDs (he's never had more than six in a season, and had two in his other eight games that season) on the way to setting the NFL record for TE receiving yards, including games in which he had 210, 149 and 108 receiving yards from Mullens.

Deebo effectively played in only three of Mullens' eight starts in 2020 (he was injured and left the game on the first drive of a fourth). One was Deebo's first game back from an injury which cost him the offseason, and he was pretty quiet (3 for 35). The other two were Deebo's best games in terms of receiving yardage that year (11 of 13 for 133 and 6 of 9 for 73).

For that matter, Mostert only played in four of Mullens' starts, three of them as he was easing back in from injury late in the year. Mullens was playing with rookie Aiyuk and Bourne, and making them look pretty darn good in the process. Aiyuk was looking like the next big thing at WR late that year. And with the exception of the NE game, all of Aiyuk's big games to end that season came with Mullens at QB (he averaged 90.6 YPG and four of his five TDs in the five starts he played with Mullens). Against Seattle, Mullens entered in the 4th quarter, after which Aiyuk racked up 80 yards and a TD in that quarter alone.

So sure, missing arguably his three biggest playmakers on offense for big chunks of the season, Mullens was the primary QB contributor to what was "only" the 11th-most explosive offense in the league. I'm not arguing that Mullens is a better QB than Jimmy. On the contrary, it sure looks to me like this is an offense that is able to generate big plays even with a mediocre talent at QB surrounded by lackluster talent.

No argument that Jimmy has contributed to some big comebacks and crucial drives over his career, but in the two huge games where we needed him to do really anything, he came up completely empty. Like, couldn't even get a first down in multiple tries empty. And sure, there were some big drops by his receivers against GB. But there were also a couple big drops by GB defenders that would have rendered the comeback moot.

In terms of the contracts, again, what bearing do those contracts have on Winston's ability as an NFL QB today? Are you suggesting that, because he was paid less two offseasons ago, you would take guys like Glennon, Gabbert, and Driscoll over him today? If so, okay.... Gotta question your judgment. And if not, then how does that information support your argument in any way?

I haven't done a 2020 health refresher search but I do know that on top of being hobbled himself with the ankle Jimmy didn't exactly have a full deck last season either. Off the top of my head I remember Deebo missing like 1/2 the season overall including being out the first few games leading to having to start Bourne/Taylor against Arizona in week 1. I remember Mostert being constantly in and out all season. It also seems like Kittle had multiple stints on IR. As for specifics on what games/who was working their way back into form and when /etc I'll defer to you as you clearly have a better memory than me or looked into it.

No argument that Jimmy has contributed to some big comebacks and crucial drives over his career, but in the two huge games where we needed him to do really anything, he came up completely empty. Like, couldn't even get a first down in multiple tries empty. And sure, there were some big drops by his receivers against GB. But there were also a couple big drops by GB defenders that would have rendered the comeback moot.

I wanted to touch on these thoughts directly. First off again, I will say that Jimmy absolutely deserves criticism for crunch time performance in the 2 games you are talking about. Its not even debatable. However, one thing I don't understand is how the defense gets basically a free pass for giving up a 10 point lead with 8.5 minutes left in the Super Bowl. That's not acceptable. Defense allowed a 83 yard TD drive in only 2.5 minutes. Then a 65 yard TD drive again in only 2.5 minutes, which got KC the lead. Defense was supposed to be elite and the backbone of that team. They had the luxury to spot KC the 1 TD down the stretch, they just had to make them burn some clock to get it and not allow any big quick strike like plays. Yet they failed in both regards.

9ers up 20-10 with 8:33 remaining:
3rd & 15 Gave up a 44 yard bomb to Hill
3rd &10 from the 21, Moore commits a PI in the end zone. Next play KC easily scores from the 1
9ers up 20-17 with 5:10 remaining:
2nd & & gave up a 38 yard bomb to Watkins which goes down to the 10
3rd & Goal from the 5, defense can't force the FG attempt that would have only tied the game, instead Chiefs go up 24-20

Defense choked, period. It just doesn't get talked about.

Pertaining to the underlined part, this type of sentiment always baffles me. People want to mitigate everybody else's mistakes, but trumpet Jimmy's mistakes. On one hand I get it, everything funnels back to the QB, which is fine if we are being 100% fair to that. Yet Jimmy gets none of the other side of it. Jimmy takes the brunt of all criticism when things go bad yet he doesn't get any credit when things go well.

Specifically with the "almost" plays. I swear these types of standpoints are only a thing within Jimmy detractor circles. Every QB has throws that almost get picked in most every game but the ball falls harmlessly to the ground. Yet I don't see anybody else's fan bases holding onto those things so tightly, even when the team ends up winning the damn game anyways. Look at Tartt's terrible butterfingering choke job of missed INT gaffe. That was a godawful decision/throw by Stafford, and if Tartt makes that catch, 9ers could easily be practicing for the Super Bowl right now. Yet, there is basically no talk about Stafford Almost choking that game away. Rams won that game, therefore their fans and most everybody else have all but forgotten about it and moved on.

Despite saying I'm over the Winston talk, I will touch on it briefly based on your rebuttal. It has absolutely nothing to do with what I think Winston's value was nor who I would rather have. That free agency period showed what the NFL thought Winston's value was as the time. He wasn't coming off injury at the time, and was in fact actually coming off leading the NFL in yards. Yet he was met with a very cold market. Apparently nobody wanted to bring him as their starter, nor to compete with their underwhelming current starter. Even for unquestioned backup QB $, he was paid immensely less a lot of those other guys. What his value is today, as I mentioned a few times already we will find that out shortly. Of course now he's coming off the injury, so that will obviously play a factor into his market...

As for your overall points, I hear you believe me I do. Jimmy absolutely has enjoyed system related benefits as well as playmakers gaing YAC. However, the QB is and always will be the vital cog in the machine. Again, I will mention that I'm not trying to say that Jimmy is a great QB (remember I rated him 12th). My biggest point of contention surrounding the Garoppolo criticism is the hordes of people who claim that he's trash. There is quite the difference between not being as good as you would like and being trash. Some people are either incapable or unwilling to make that distinction.

I had to refresh my memory on a lot of the 2020 season stuff. But we suffered a historic number of injuries that year, and the offense kept playing fairly well - granted they were in catchup mode a lot, which will lead to more passing numbers. And despite pretty good numbers overall, Mullens' completion percentage was several ticks low, and his issues often arose on third downs where, you're right, by and large Jimmy has played pretty well throughout his career. As said, I'm not at all arguing that Mullens is the better QB, but it was pretty impressive what he did without his top two receivers and top RB for most of his stretch.

I enjoy these discussions/arguments because, you know, I'm a contentious a-hole who really likes arguing (in the intellectual sense of arguing, not like shouting at each other), but there can be a tendency to almost end up at the extremes when, as in this case, I think we probably view things in a pretty similar light. Based on our conversations over the past few weeks, and even years, I think we would probably rank Jimmy in a similar spot among NFL QBs, and have a pretty similar view of his strengths and weaknesses, but in the course of this discussion it can come off like you love Garoppolo and I hate him, when neither is true.

We had the offense vs. defense discussion out repeatedly after the super bowl, and I think we saw a similar dynamic play out this year in the NFCCG. Did the defense collapse down the stretch? Absolutely. But as with the SB, if you had told me going into the game that we would hold the Rams to 20 points total, and to seven points into the fourth quarter, I would have said we win that game comfortably. In both of those games, the defense struggled at the end (frankly, against the Rams, they struggled throughout the game but still somehow only gave up seven points into the 4th), but the defense really struggled throughout. In both games, despite the defensive shortcomings, literally one decent drive by the offense probably wins the game for us.

And sure, you can (and have) countered that we probably win if the defense makes one additional stop, but again, when evaluating both games as a whole, I would say that the defense vastly exceeded expectations while the offense failed to meet expectations. For that reason, I wouldn't say I give them a pass as such, but I'm much more understanding of their late-game collapse.

As far as the almost plays, you're the one who brought them up in this conversation. And sure, if Jimmy's receivers catch those early balls, especially Kittle, it changes the entire complexion of the game. But if we're going to play the almost game on one side, we've got to play it on the other side, too, and Jimmy threw a bunch of really questionable balls against GB, and put one on Ramsey's chest that should have been a pick-six in a similar situation against the Rams.

That's the aspect of Garoppolo's play that makes him untenable as a longterm solution at QB. As I've said before, you can get by with a guy with a limited arm and athleticism if that guy is locked in and doesn't make mistakes. That's not Jimmy. He makes the same mistakes constantly. I don't know how he throws the INT to Kittle against GB, then comes back and throws two or three more INCREDIBLY risky, late throws outside in that same game. And then he comes back and does the exact same thing against the Rams to almost salt away the game for them when we were still very much alive. And those games came on the heels of one of the worst INTs I've ever seen to give Dallas an improbable chance to come back in that game. The Dallas INT you could maybe chalk up to his injuries - except that we've seen him do that sort of thing repeatedly. Given his limitations, you just can't have those sorts of breakdowns, and Jimmy has never shown an ability to learn from his mistakes in that vein.

Back to Winston, even though I think we've basically done that topic in, I don't disagree that his value was in the trash can in the 2020 offseason. He had a historic year in terms of turning the ball over and making bone-headed plays. As memory serves, there were questions about his maturity. And I don't really know the extent to which he answered those questions. What I do know is that, when he had a chance to play this year in a friendly system - though with mediocre talent at best (and that only because of Kamara) - he was a lot less mistake-prone and he led his team to a lot of success. As said, he's coming off a major injury, and it was a short span of games. That team is undergoing a tectonic shift (new head coach, they're going to have to absolutely deconstruct the roster just to get under the cap, etc.), so his future is even less certain. But I do think the guy has a lot of upside for someone who was, as you note, basically an afterthought two offseasons ago. He's way more of a gamble than Jimmy at this point, but he's got more upside if he can continue to play as he did this year.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#164 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:47 pm

JT's review of the Niners in the NFCCG.

The play at 15:30 is particularly amazing. Not something that's on Jimmy, short of perhaps not getting a clear playcall out in the huddle. WTF?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#165 » by Jikkle » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:10 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:JT's review of the Niners in the NFCCG.

The play at 15:30 is particularly amazing. Not something that's on Jimmy, short of perhaps not getting a clear playcall out in the huddle. WTF?

It wasn't that he didn't get a clear playcall in the huddle it's that he likely killed the first play at the line and only half the offensive line heard him. So half ran the original play called and the other half ran the second play he called that he killed to.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#166 » by Jikkle » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:25 am

wco81 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:We can debate all the stats we want but Jimmy G is just an above average QB and if you want to argue average I wouldn't fight you on that given his propensity to throw INTs.

Moving on from Jimmy G is more about him hitting his ceiling as a player and wanting even more production and also him being injured all of the time as I think he had one completely healthy season with the team which is pretty bad for a QB that doesn't run really.

It's another Alex Smith vs Mahomes situation as Alex Smith would've gotten the Chiefs to the playoffs and maybe won a game or two but he wasn't to do what Mahomes did and get you to back to back SB and nearly a 3rd 3 years in a row.

Not saying Lance will be Mahomes but he's definitely more talented than Jimmy and has the potential to be in that conversation with guys like Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, and etc.

I don't question the decision to move on from Jimmy.

But it's still an open question whether Lance will be the right person.

We won't know for 2-3 more years at least.

I'm not as sold on Mac Jones as many Pats fans are. But if the trade was never made, would the order have gone like it did?

That would mean the 49ers might have been able to draft Fields. Or maybe Lance still might have been available at #12.

At a minimum, they could have drafted Parsons at #12. I know they signed Warner to big money but I'm assuming scouting showed Parsons could be a good edge rusher.

Sure, they pretty much had to draft a QB because of Jimmy's contract situation.

I hope Lance works out and hits his ceiling. Otherwise, it will be an expensive blunder.

I doubt Lance would've been there at #12 and Mac Jones might've not have been there either because the Pats might've thought they had to jump us to grab him.

Lance may or may not be the right guy but my personal view is you have to keep taking swings at the position till you really hit it.

Once you hit on the right guy you're in the mix every year as long as the coaching and GM are competent. I mean just look at this playoffs and Mahomes has had the Chiefs in the last 4 AFC championship games and 2 SB appearances, Burrows basically dragging the Bengals to the Super Bowl, Allen who lost a shootout to Mahomes, and Stafford who isn't as dynamic but still has the arm to make big plays.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#167 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:43 pm

Jikkle wrote:

It wasn't that he didn't get a clear playcall in the huddle it's that he likely killed the first play at the line and only half the offensive line heard him. So half ran the original play called and the other half ran the second play he called that he killed to.

Yeah, that's possible. I didn't think about audibling from one run to another. Just a wacky play. I'm sure it's happened, but I'm hard-pressed to remember seeing the two guards smacking into each other.

The offense was completely out-of-sorts at the end of the NFCCG. This play, the delay of game where we didn't even start the motion until after the play clock expired, the play two plays later that where Mack snapped it but like half the line didn't even move. It's tough for me to dole out blame for that stuff. Is it Shanahan? McDaniel? Jimmy? Some combination? Whoever was responsible, it was pretty inexcusable to have repeated miscues at that time.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#168 » by Jikkle » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:51 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

The play at 15:30 is particularly amazing. Not something that's on Jimmy, short of perhaps not getting a clear play call out in the huddle. WTF?

It wasn't that he didn't get a clear play call in the huddle it's that he likely killed the first play at the line and only half the offensive line heard him. So half ran the original play called and the other half ran the second play he called that he killed too.

Yeah, that's possible. I didn't think about audibling from one run to another. Just a wacky play. I'm sure it's happened, but I'm hard-pressed to remember seeing the two guards smacking into each other.

The offense was completely out-of-sorts at the end of the NFCCG. This play, the delay of game where we didn't even start the motion until after the play clock expired, the play two plays later that where Mack snapped it but like half the line didn't even move. It's tough for me to dole out blame for that stuff. Is it Shanahan? McDaniel? Jimmy? Some combination? Whoever was responsible, it was pretty inexcusable to have repeated miscues at that time.

It's always hard for me to assign blame because the players are grown men and professionals and once they are on the field it's their job to execute.

But coaching could play a role because as a coach you need to make sure your people are properly trained to execute and like a boss with employees under them if they aren't getting the job done then you need to get someone in there that will.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#169 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:31 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
It wasn't that he didn't get a clear play call in the huddle it's that he likely killed the first play at the line and only half the offensive line heard him. So half ran the original play called and the other half ran the second play he called that he killed too.

It's always hard for me to assign blame because the players are grown men and professionals and once they are on the field it's their job to execute.

But coaching could play a role because as a coach you need to make sure your people are properly trained to execute and like a boss with employees under them if they aren't getting the job done then you need to get someone in there that will.

Yeah, bit of a mixed bag. Some of that stuff I definitely put on the coaching staff. For instance, under Harbaugh, we had a huge problem getting the play off on time. It was really true under Kaepernick, where we repeatedly had big issues with it (including on what could/should have been a game-winning TD in the SB), but it was also a problem under Smith, suggesting that it was not entirely a player issue.

Similarly, in the NFCCG this year, we repeatedly had issues getting the snap off on time. In that case, in my view, it's on the coaching staff to fix the problem before the end of the game, either by discussing it with the QB and making sure he is aware, or by expediting the play call. Not to mention that this is stuff they should be drilling all week every week in practice.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#170 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:27 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Yeah, bit of a mixed bag. Some of that stuff I definitely put on the coaching staff. For instance, under Harbaugh, we had a huge problem getting the play off on time. It was really true under Kaepernick, where we repeatedly had big issues with it (including on what could/should have been a game-winning TD in the SB), but it was also a problem under Smith, suggesting that it was not entirely a player issue.

Similarly, in the NFCCG this year, we repeatedly had issues getting the snap off on time. In that case, in my view, it's on the coaching staff to fix the problem before the end of the game, either by discussing it with the QB and making sure he is aware, or by expediting the play call. Not to mention that this is stuff they should be drilling all week every week in practice.

From what I've read about it, the play calling under Harbaugh was chaotic. There was one coach responsible for running plays and another responsible for passing and end zone plays. The person who was calling the plays would relay the call to Harbaugh and then Harbaugh could run the play or override the call. I put blame mostly on Harbaugh. This did not seem to be an issue once Harbaugh was gone. Harbaugh was once asked about it and he dismissed it as not being an issue. As good a coach as Harbaugh was there were some issues with him. Bill Walsh would have never tolerated that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Post#171 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:21 pm

Did Roman call the plays from the coaches boxes and relay the call down to Harbs on the field?

Then they sent that via the helmet earphones?
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#172 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:25 pm

wco81 wrote:Did Roman call the plays from the coaches boxes and relay the call down to Harbs on the field?

Then they sent that via the helmet earphones?

I think so. That is kind of how I remembered it. Harbaugh could override the call. But it supposedly wasn't just Roman. Others were involved also. There was someone else who was making red zone play calls. All went through Harbaugh as I remember it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#173 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:29 am

NFL.com ranking the QBs based on performance this year:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

Jimmy comes in at 20. Not entirely fair, as it takes playoffs into account. Jimmy gets dinged for generally poor performances against top competition while playing through injuries when most of the league was sitting home on their couches. Still, it's a defensible position.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#174 » by a8bil » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:17 am

If JG played out the season with a torn ligament in his thumb on his throwing hand, and a shoulder that needs surgery -- again on his throwing shoulder -- what does that tell us about his heir apparent? 49ers may not have much choice but to bring in a vet to start...and if that is the option, why not keep JG? At least he knows the offense and is liked in the lockerroom
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#175 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 4, 2022 1:03 am

a8bil wrote:If JG played out the season with a torn ligament in his thumb on his throwing hand, and a shoulder that needs surgery -- again on his throwing shoulder -- what does that tell us about his heir apparent? 49ers may not have much choice but to bring in a vet to start...and if that is the option, why not keep JG? At least he knows the offense and is liked in the lockerroom

It's natural to question Lance given how Jimmy played down the stretch. But Shanahan is an EXTREMELY conservative control freak. Given the chance, he almost always goes with the veteran. That's why a guy like Sanu was getting significant minutes before he got hurt, and Josh Norman was in the lineup until he basically forced the coaching staff's hand. And inasmuch as basically any semi-competent QB could have probably outplayed Garoppolo down the stretch, at the end of the day, we came a couple plays away from knocking off the SB champs. I think there's a solid argument that we don't beat the Rams in week 18 without Garoppolo.

I believe Lance will not be a downgrade on what Jimmy was doing toward the end of our season when he comes in, but there will be more volatility. We may lose some games because of a cluster of bad plays (taking sacks, turning it over), but we may also win some where he makes an amazing play or two. Time will tell, but I'm not buying all the talk about Lance not being ready at this point.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#176 » by a8bil » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:54 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
a8bil wrote:If JG played out the season with a torn ligament in his thumb on his throwing hand, and a shoulder that needs surgery -- again on his throwing shoulder -- what does that tell us about his heir apparent? 49ers may not have much choice but to bring in a vet to start...and if that is the option, why not keep JG? At least he knows the offense and is liked in the lockerroom

It's natural to question Lance given how Jimmy played down the stretch. But Shanahan is an EXTREMELY conservative control freak. Given the chance, he almost always goes with the veteran. That's why a guy like Sanu was getting significant minutes before he got hurt, and Josh Norman was in the lineup until he basically forced the coaching staff's hand. And inasmuch as basically any semi-competent QB could have probably outplayed Garoppolo down the stretch, at the end of the day, we came a couple plays away from knocking off the SB champs. I think there's a solid argument that we don't beat the Rams in week 18 without Garoppolo.

I believe Lance will not be a downgrade on what Jimmy was doing toward the end of our season when he comes in, but there will be more volatility. We may lose some games because of a cluster of bad plays (taking sacks, turning it over), but we may also win some where he makes an amazing play or two. Time will tell, but I'm not buying all the talk about Lance not being ready at this point.
You may be right...but your argument relies on the premises that Lance is at least as good as an injured JG, but Shanahan is such a control freak that he wouldn't play Lance. Those are pretty big assumptions...but you may be right.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#177 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 4, 2022 4:41 pm

a8bil wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

You may be right...but your argument relies on the premises that Lance is at least as good as an injured JG, but Shanahan is such a control freak that he wouldn't play Lance. Those are pretty big assumptions...but you may be right.

Jimmy was awful in the playoffs. He averaged under 180 yards, and had two TDs to three INTs. Yes, he suffered a couple drops by receivers that might have improved his stat line, particularly the ball to Kittle against GB. But he was also extremely fortunate he didn't throw three or more INTs as he repeatedly put the ball right on a defender throwing those late, dying balls outside. And the weather in GB probably affected him, but he wasn't much better in the dome against Dallas, and his mental lapses late in that one nearly cost us the game. He was a non-factor with his legs, of course. He did a pretty good job of getting the ball out quickly against the Rams, but he also had a 53% completion percentage in that game.

At the end of the day, if Lance can't outperform that level of play fairly early in his career, we're in some trouble. As said, there will certainly be some bumps in the road. I'm sure we'll see some multiple turnover games. It's possible we see significantly more sacks. But we should also see more big plays. I think it will more or less balance out over the course of a season, particularly if our defense and run game can support Trey the way they supported Jimmy.
a8bil
Analyst

Post#178 » by a8bil » Fri Mar 4, 2022 10:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
a8bil wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Jimmy was awful in the playoffs. He averaged under 180 yards, and had two TDs to three INTs. Yes, he suffered a couple drops by receivers that might have improved his stat line, particularly the ball to Kittle against GB. But he was also extremely fortunate he didn't throw three or more INTs as he repeatedly put the ball right on a defender throwing those late, dying balls outside. And the weather in GB probably affected him, but he wasn't much better in the dome against Dallas, and his mental lapses late in that one nearly cost us the game. He was a non-factor with his legs, of course. He did a pretty good job of getting the ball out quickly against the Rams, but he also had a 53% completion percentage in that game.

At the end of the day, if Lance can't outperform that level of play fairly early in his career, we're in some trouble. As said, there will certainly be some bumps in the road. I'm sure we'll see some multiple turnover games. It's possible we see significantly more sacks. But we should also see more big plays. I think it will more or less balance out over the course of a season, particularly if our defense and run game can support Trey the way they supported Jimmy.
That's the point I'm making...Kyle decided that at least this past season, Lance couldn't outperform that level of play. If that is the case (big if, I know), then I highly doubt Lance will be ready to take the reigns next season. I guess we'll see soon enough.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#179 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Mar 4, 2022 11:04 pm

a8bil wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
a8bil wrote: You may be right...but your argument relies on the premises that Lance is at least as good as an injured JG, but Shanahan is such a control freak that he wouldn't play Lance. Those are pretty big assumptions...but you may be right.

That's the point I'm making...Kyle decided that at least this past season, Lance couldn't outperform that level of play. If that is the case (big if, I know), then I highly doubt Lance will be ready to take the reigns next season. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Yeah, but again, Kyle's view of rookies and young players vs. vets has been proven wrong repeatedly, including this season when he repeatedly stuck with underperforming vets past the point of absurdity rather than giving the young players a shot. Once we stuck with Jimmy in week 18, the odds of us diverging from that path were very slim, even with Jimmy's struggles. Even risk-taking coaches are going to be loathe to switch QBs in the midst of a series of playoff wins. That doesn't necessarily indicate Lance wasn't the better option.

The teams we were playing are also relevant. The Rams are an attacking defense that rely on pass rush and forcing turnovers and other game-changing plays. It's far from an ideal situation for a very green rookie to be thrust into.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#180 » by Jikkle » Sun Mar 6, 2022 8:55 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
a8bil wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Yeah, but again, Kyle's view of rookies and young players vs. vets has been proven wrong repeatedly, including this season when he repeatedly stuck with underperforming vets past the point of absurdity rather than giving the young players a shot. Once we stuck with Jimmy in week 18, the odds of us diverging from that path were very slim, even with Jimmy's struggles. Even risk-taking coaches are going to be loathe to switch QBs in the midst of a series of playoff wins. That doesn't necessarily indicate Lance wasn't the better option.

The teams we were playing are also relevant. The Rams are an attacking defense that rely on pass rush and forcing turnovers and other game-changing plays. It's far from an ideal situation for a very green rookie to be thrust into.

Even though Kyle is young he has some old-school coaching values that I'm sure rubbed off on him from Mike and one of them is rookies have to work their way up and if possible they sit and develop.

You have your exceptions to that when the rookie is clearly the best option for that position like with Bosa who was already pretty well developed and obviously head and shoulders above anyone on the depth chart.

I think he's more averse to playing rookies on offense if he can avoid it because I think he values the less talented vet that knows what he's doing out there more than the more talented rookie that is still learning the ropes.

That's probably more the case with QB as with Jimmy he knew what to expect with Jimmy and he knew Jimmy knew the playbook, could operate the offense efficiently, and he knew what Jimmy could do and not do. With Lance even as smart as he is reported to be he still wouldn't have the command of the offense like Jimmy had and Lance did things that were unexpected and that Kyle couldn't bank on like he could with Jimmy.

Another element is the locker room wanted Jimmy. I don't think that's a knock on Lance but I'd say most of the guys say Jimmy as one of their best buds and Lance as a kid brother. Players aren't wired like fans and they know that they went with to a Super Bowl with Jimmy and they have won with Jimmy so they want to keep that rolling with their best buddy.

Lastly I like some other fans feel like that Kyle has a different offense in mind for Lance than he had with Jimmy. I don't mean to the extent it'll be brand new but I suspect the offense is going to go through a big refresh. I don't think guys like Banks and Sermon didn't play because they were busts but were planned to mainly be developed and deployed as part of the Lance offense. I thought that might've been one reason the playcalling was clunky with Lance in there is that it was the Jimmy offense not the offense that's going to be tailored around Lance and he basically had to call that Jimmy offense because that's the one that was installed.

I think Kyle knows what we all see and that his offense hasn't quite been as efficient and clean as it used to be prior to him becoming a head coach. It's flashed and had shown some incredible things but it's rare that you really see it string together whole games looking like a well-oiled machine. I think Kyle knows his offense has gotten a bit stale and why I do feel a refresh is coming to his offense.

Return to San Francisco 49ers