ImageImageImageImageImage

Final Dress Rehearsal, Preseason Week 3 49ers @ Texans

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Re: Final Dress Rehearsal, Preseason Week 3 49ers @ Texans 

Post#41 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:03 am

Beautiful deep ball over the middle to Dwelley by Purdy for 28 yards on 3rd and long
thesack12
RealGM

Post#42 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:04 am

Turner with a drop, on a would be 3rd down conversion
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#43 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:05 am

Can't throw the slant much better than that. Bad drop by Turner, granted the coverage was pretty good.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#44 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:06 am

Purdy is looking pretty good. Didn't love that pick - granted it's hard to feel very strongly about Mr. Irrelevant at all - but Purdy has shown well. Limited arm strength, but he's accurate and seems to have good vision.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#45 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:07 am

Purdy in the process of passing Sudfeld for QB2.

Honestly, if it was me I'd keep Purdy and waive Sudfeld then sign Nate back to the practice squad.

Sudfeld was on the PS all of last season, which proved nobody wanted him. I don't see any reason to suggest another team would claim him now, especially when he's more expensive this season.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#46 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 am

Sudfeld back in, and his first pass is short and behind the receiver and nearly picked off
thesack12
RealGM

Post#47 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:20 am

Dwelley having a good game
thesack12
RealGM

Post#48 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:21 am

Sudfeld stuffed on 4th and inches with the QB sneak
thesack12
RealGM

Post#49 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:25 am

Poor run defense by the 1's, 2's, and 3's
thesack12
RealGM

Post#50 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:42 am

Yeah, Purdy is better than Sudfeld...confirmed
thesack12
RealGM

Post#51 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:47 am

Purdy throws a pick.

Still better than Sudfeld, who throw one earlier.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#52 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:04 am

Snead drops Purdy's perfectly thrown TD pass
thesack12
RealGM

Post#53 » by thesack12 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:05 am

Well...

That performance certainly doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies going into the season opener... Woof
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#54 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:00 am

My prediction - Niners will struggle over the first half of the season. By midyear, Lance will start to get the hang of things and look sharper. Niners play much better over the second half but have too much ground to make up by playing in such a strong division. But the strong finish will give fans more hope for the following season.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#55 » by Jikkle » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:33 am

Didn't see the game live but did watch the 3 Lance drives when I got home and given the fan reaction on message boards I was expecting worse and while it wasn't good it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Overall there were positive plays on offense just too many negative drive killing kind of plays.

Thought Lance was fine and really only missed Kittle.

From what I saw that deep throw to Deebo should've been PI as the DB had Deebo's armed wrapped around his and I think Deebo comes down with it without the interference.

The low Malik Turner throw I'm debating if it was low because it was a bad throw or based on the replay it could've been low because he was trying to squeeze it in a throwing lane. Would like to see a couple angles on that one.

His ball placement could've been sharper on a couple throws but they were still very catchable and his accuracy overall was fine.

Offensive line play just wasn't good in general. Again there were some positive plays where the execution was fine but just a lot of negative plays where guys are getting beat in pass protection right at the snap of the ball. Having a mobile QB does little good if you're getting pressure up the middle and he can barely finish his drop back before having a guy right on top of him.

Honestly I don't really care about the defense's performance because basically all the starters sat. Now I'd like to see the depth do better but I'm hardly worried when 3 starting defensive linemen, all the linebackers, 3 secondary guys aren't playing. If we ever run into a case where that many starters are out on defense we're screwed just like any other team.

Really the offensive line especially the IOL is the only major concern I have coming out of this game. It's one thing to get beat it's just another thing to lose barely getting a hand on a guy.

Now glass half full here regarding the offense it'll help to have both starting tackles in especially Trent and our offense relies a lot on Kyle's game planning and play calling to put them in advantageous situations. This was pretty vanilla offense we saw tonight and Kyle is going to have things cooked up to keep defenses guessing once the season starts.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#56 » by Jikkle » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:52 am

Read on Twitter

Surprised at how debated this play has been the past couple of days.

I agree with Warner here that it's dumb to say he ignored or missed Aiyuk when he didn't even get to him in his progressions.

Best WR 1 on 1 against a non-elite DB is a shot nearly every QB takes if that's their first read. Progressions aren't something you check all of them and decide which one you go too but you go through each of them until you get one that's open or a favorable matchup.

And the thing is that it actually should've worked because of the PI. Deebo needs to learn to sell it better to get the flag that should be thrown anyways.

I agree with Warner that you could argue on 3rd and 2 he looks for a safer throw to just get a 1st but even still given the circumstances in that it's the 1st drive it's still not a bad idea to take a shot there given the potential gain. If this was later in a tight game in the regular season or playoffs I'd say he should be focused on moving the chains.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#57 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Read on Twitter

Surprised at how debated this play has been the past couple of days.

I agree with Warner here that it's dumb to say he ignored or missed Aiyuk when he didn't even get to him in his progressions.

Best WR 1 on 1 against a non-elite DB is a shot nearly every QB takes if that's their first read. Progressions aren't something you check all of them and decide which one you go too but you go through each of them until you get one that's open or a favorable matchup.

And the thing is that it actually should've worked because of the PI. Deebo needs to learn to sell it better to get the flag that should be thrown anyways.

I agree with Warner that you could argue on 3rd and 2 he looks for a safer throw to just get a 1st but even still given the circumstances in that it's the 1st drive it's still not a bad idea to take a shot there given the potential gain. If this was later in a tight game in the regular season or playoffs I'd say he should be focused on moving the chains.

I don't know what the playcall was, so its really hard to gauge what the progressions should have been on that play. However, after taking the snap Trey is looking down the middle of the field where Aiyuk is supposed to be after making his break, then Trey clearly turns his head to the right and throws it out there to Deebo.

Judging solely by Trey's eye/head movement, it seems like Aiyuk was to be the 1st read on that play. Maybe Brandon was slower than anticipated to get to the spot and Trey moved on to Deebo up the sideline. Or the design may have been Deebo to be the primary option the entire time and Trey's eyes/head towards the middle of the field was simply intended to look off the safety.

As I mentioned earlier, I have no idea what the play call was so I don't have a strong opinion either way.

In any event, the pass was slightly underthrown. Deebo had to slow down, which allowed the DB to make up the 1/2 step Deebo had on him and also signaled him that the ball was in the air allowing him to get his head around and make a play for the ball as it arrived. When a DB gets his head around and finds the ball, the potential for a PI dramatically decreases. Which is something 49ers DB's would be wise to learn.

It wasn't the cleanest pocket you'll ever see, but it was one of the few plays the O-line actually created a pocket and gave the QB a modicum of time and space to operate. If Trey gets just a little bit more juice on that pass, Its a likely TD.

In the grand scheme of things, this play means next to nothing and there is no need to get worked up over it. But seeing as how the offense hasn't looked overly promising and we have 2 weeks until the boys take the field again, I'm not surprised people are micro analyzing the limited bit of tape that is out there.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,312

Post#58 » by wco81 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:11 pm

Samurai wrote:My prediction - Niners will struggle over the first half of the season. By midyear, Lance will start to get the hang of things and look sharper. Niners play much better over the second half but have too much ground to make up by playing in such a strong division. But the strong finish will give fans more hope for the following season.

Is anything less than a playoff berth acceptaBle?

Some people believe this is the best roster in the league, one of tHe few which supposedly can dominate both lines of scrimmage.

I’ve not watched any preseason games or followed training camp.

Last season they had high expectations before the season, played poorly in the first half dozen games, then finished well thouGh tHe offense struggled badly.

Got this season and next, maybe also season after next, to contend before big contracts to Bosa and Trey limit roster depth.

Unless they hit big In the next couple of drafts, but who expects that given this regime’s drafting record.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#59 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:02 pm

The expectation has to be playoffs. That said, we'll have to see how the OL holds up and possibly adjust expectations accordingly. Playing behind a bad OL is a tall order for any QB. It may be insurmountable for a young, inexperienced one. Hopefully McGlinchey gets healthy soon (kind of shocked I'm saying that...) and the inexperienced guys on the inside can hold up and start to gel as a unit.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#60 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:08 pm

wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:My prediction - Niners will struggle over the first half of the season. By midyear, Lance will start to get the hang of things and look sharper. Niners play much better over the second half but have too much ground to make up by playing in such a strong division. But the strong finish will give fans more hope for the following season.

Is anything less than a playoff berth acceptaBle?

Some people believe this is the best roster in the league, one of tHe few which supposedly can dominate both lines of scrimmage.

I’ve not watched any preseason games or followed training camp.

Last season they had high expectations before the season, played poorly in the first half dozen games, then finished well thouGh tHe offense struggled badly.

Got this season and next, maybe also season after next, to contend before big contracts to Bosa and Trey limit roster depth.

Unless they hit big In the next couple of drafts, but who expects that given this regime’s drafting record.

Anything less than the playoffs is won't be acceptable. Unfortunately for Lance, unlike other rookies and first time starters he isn't going to have the luxury to work through things as other highly drafted QBs do that normally go to bad teams. He needs to make it happen now.

Return to San Francisco 49ers