Week 6: 49ers @ Falcons

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: Week 6: 49ers @ Falcons 

Post#201 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm

zman1 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:That outside screen to Deebo, is the type of playcall you make with 9 seconds to go before the half and no timeouts, needing to pick up some yardage for a FG attempt.

Not so much, when you are in desperation comeback mode
Get it to a playmaker and hope for some magic.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I get it, just seems like it wasn't the best of situations for the playcall.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#202 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:42 pm

3rd and 1, and they run a toss to Coleman.

it predictably failed
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#203 » by arich35 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:42 pm

**** off Kyle
thesack12
RealGM

Post#204 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:42 pm

Unreal

What an aggravating game
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#205 » by Dodub » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:42 pm

Why are we running there?! All of their CB’s are hurt
arich35
General Manager

Post#206 » by arich35 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:43 pm

What a waste. Why did you not throw it to Aiyuk on the slant
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#207 » by zman1 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:43 pm

Can you win without 12 starters? Not this week. Not too bad for new injuries anyway.

thesack12
RealGM

Post#208 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 pm

Systematically poor defense
Wilson's fumble TD
Drops

Were the deciding factors today
Dodub
General Manager

Post#209 » by Dodub » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:44 pm

arich35 wrote:What a waste. Why did you not throw it to Aiyuk on the slant

He decided where he was throwing before the ball was snapped. That’s the only reasonable explanation
thesack12
RealGM

Post#210 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:48 pm

So upsetting

To help ease the pain, Hopefully the Rams lose to the Panthers (unlikely) and Seattle beats Arizona (since 9ers have the tiebreaker over Seattle).
thesack12
RealGM

Post#211 » by thesack12 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:52 pm

KC is always a tough matchup, but with as hobbled as Frisco is right now we're looking at another probable loss next week
Dodub
General Manager

Post#212 » by Dodub » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:52 pm

Gonna get killed next week
arich35
General Manager

Post#213 » by arich35 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:06 pm

All the weapons we have and we continuously struggle to score
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#214 » by zman1 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:22 pm

arich35 wrote:All the weapons we have and we continuously struggle to score
Yeah good thing we have our starting qb, rb, and best lineman all healthy and playing well. Other linemen out too right? And you can't drop passes and have penalties that call back big plays.

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#215 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:43 am

Dodub wrote:
arich35 wrote:What a waste. Why did you not throw it to Aiyuk on the slant

He decided where he was throwing before the ball was snapped. That’s the only reasonable explanation

Time wide loss if there ever was one
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#216 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:00 am

Had a bad feeling about this game all week and I hate being right.

The defense could've played better but I am willing to give them more of a pass. While I do think they could've played better with what they had out there it's still tough to win games when you're personnel looks more like what you'd throw out there in a preseason game than a regular season game. It's not like giving up 21 points is a terrible outcome especially since the Falcons offense hovers around 20 points a game.

I will rip the offense though because this was the game that they needed to pick up the defense and be the reason they won and they didn't. In fact they just poured gas on the fire by giving up a TD on the Wilson fumble.

While I don't blame Jimmy G because he had some big plays dropped but he didn't really do much in this game either. I just hope this brings the sudden Jimmy G hype train back to reality to the fact that this is the same Jimmy G we've seen the past couple of seasons. If we're in a position where we need Jimmy to carry the team chances are we're screwed.

It just makes the Lance injury all the more frustrating because at least he could be developing and we'd probably wouldn't be any worse position that we are now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#217 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:21 pm

This one was a real kick in the crotch. We keep dropping games to bad teams, and it's really hard to make the playoffs that way. Our three losses this year come against teams that are 1-4, 1-3 (soon to be 1-4?), and 2-3 in games not against the Niners. That's bad. The only saving grace is that our division looks like crap.

Kind of tough to lay blame in this one, as so much went wrong. I'm willing to cut the defense a little slack given all the injuries, but only a little, and the manner of this loss is problematic. If our backups on the DL were just getting blown off the ball, and they were netting seven yards a carry up the gut, I could understand that. But instead, we were winning on the blocks as often as not, but once again our lack of gap integrity, outside contain, and our absolute inability to contain even a slightly mobile QB doomed us. That's not something I'm as willing to forgive. We had to come into this one ready to execute against the run, and time after time, our DEs - who play quite a bit - crashed inside and let them run right around the edge. Mariota repeatedly ran for big gains in crucial situations. It's unacceptable at this point.

The offense was a debacle. Jimmy actually threw some of the best deep balls he ever has, but, of course, our guys just flat-out dropped them. And then Jimmy would bounce back to throw the ball at the receiver's feet on third down. I'm willing to give him a pass on the INTs given the circumstances of those plays, but he's got to be more effective on third down. The drive at the end of the first half was embarrassing. No urgency, middle of the field over and over. The half would have ended with Jimmy taking a sack - when he has more than enough time to just get rid of the f-ing ball - but for the hold against Kittle. How does a guy who has been in the NFL almost a decade take a sack there? Woke up my kids yelling at him on that one.

All things considered, I actually thought the OL played pretty well. Jimmy had time, and actually stepped up in the pocket to get clear throwing lanes several times. He just more often than not threw a duck afterward. Why is it that this team, with an offensive head coach and really good receiving weapons, simply cannot win unless the defense is dominant? Scoring 14 points against this Atlanta team, and getting shut out in the second half, is inexcusable. The offense needed to step up in this one, and as usual, they didn't.

I've got to visit the injuries, too. Obviously there's a strong element of luck that goes into injuries, but you reach a point where there simply has to be more to it. Every year we lead the league in soft tissue injuries. That can't just be bad luck. There must be something about the way these guys are preparing that is setting them up for an inordinate amount of strains, pulls, etc. Again, I find it incredibly frustrating that we sit all our guys through the preseason, come out flat and drop winnable games, but still endure tons of injuries. Just a thought, but maybe getting some preseason action would actually better prepare these guys for the regular season.

Anyway, we're still very much in this because the division sucks so much (Hawks the favorite to win it???), but we have to start winning these games, and we're going to have to pick up some wins against what I thought would be tougher opponents earlier in the year, like the Bucs, Saints, Dolphins, etc.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#218 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:46 pm

Jikkle wrote:Had a bad feeling about this game all week and I hate being right.

The defense could've played better but I am willing to give them more of a pass. While I do think they could've played better with what they had out there it's still tough to win games when you're personnel looks more like what you'd throw out there in a preseason game than a regular season game. It's not like giving up 21 points is a terrible outcome especially since the Falcons offense hovers around 20 points a game.

I will rip the offense though because this was the game that they needed to pick up the defense and be the reason they won and they didn't. In fact they just poured gas on the fire by giving up a TD on the Wilson fumble.

While I don't blame Jimmy G because he had some big plays dropped but he didn't really do much in this game either. I just hope this brings the sudden Jimmy G hype train back to reality to the fact that this is the same Jimmy G we've seen the past couple of seasons. If we're in a position where we need Jimmy to carry the team chances are we're screwed.

It just makes the Lance injury all the more frustrating because at least he could be developing and we'd probably wouldn't be any worse position that we are now.

Not sure what kind of expectations you have for Jimmy. One of his better games. Those drops were huge and changed the outcome of the game and Jimmy's stats. The problem with Jimmy is that at some point he will probably have another bad game. But I think you are giving Lance far too much credit. He could turn into the player everyone hopes he can be but he is far away from that. Other than some nice deep throws, his short game and pocket presence and other things need alot ogf work and there is no guarantee that will ever come to fruition. And it wouldn't be stretch to thing Lance could have played worse than Jimmy did yesterday.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#219 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:55 pm

Grant Cohn on the injury stuff. I tend to think he's over-the-top on some of these topics, but it's hard to argue here:

But the main reason the 49ers lost is their plethora of injuries, and those are Shanahan's fault, too. Every game this year, the 49ers have lost multiple key starters to injury. This happens every season to the 49ers in September and October, because their training camps are so light and their starters don't play in the preseason. So they're not in football shape when the regular season starts. Instead, they attempt to get into football shape during the season, which has led to lots of injuries. This is Shanahan's sixth year as a head coach. He should have fixed the injury issues and the offense by now, but he hasn't.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#220 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:35 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Grant Cohn on the injury stuff. I tend to think he's over-the-top on some of these topics, but it's hard to argue here:

But the main reason the 49ers lost is their plethora of injuries, and those are Shanahan's fault, too. Every game this year, the 49ers have lost multiple key starters to injury. This happens every season to the 49ers in September and October, because their training camps are so light and their starters don't play in the preseason. So they're not in football shape when the regular season starts. Instead, they attempt to get into football shape during the season, which has led to lots of injuries. This is Shanahan's sixth year as a head coach. He should have fixed the injury issues and the offense by now, but he hasn't.

I am not sure about that. I think a lot of teams limited their players in preseason and training camp this year. Might be due to adding a regular game this season. I guess one could question some of the soft tissue injuries, but the knee injuries there is really no way to prepare for those. In the past, I would put part of the 49ers injury woes to some bad luck added in with the 49ers penchant for bringing in injury prone players to the team. And I think artificial turf should be banned. I do blame Lance's injury on Shanahan because of the way Shanahan used him. That was obvious

Return to San Francisco 49ers