Re: Week 15: 49ers @ Seahawks 

Post#223 » by Dodub » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:16 am

Mason!!!!!!!!!
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#224 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:16 am

San Francisco 49ers are the NFC West Champs!!!
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#225 » by zman1 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:18 am

thesack12 wrote:San Francisco 49ers are the NFC West Champs!!!
Yeah! Didn't think we were going anywhere early in the season, and especially after Jimmy got hurt.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Post#226 » by thesack12 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:19 am

If Mooney is indeed in the clear of a concussion, seems like 9ers will emerge from this game pretty healthy.

Ebukam did walk off slowly though, so we'll see what Kyle says in the post game presser. Sometimes there are injuries that emerge the day after, that aren't reported during the game.

Still, its a GREAT time for the mini bye at this point in the season. Especially, coming off a win and wrapping up the division title. Having 11 days until the next game will be good for this team.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#227 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:37 am

Nice win. Should have been by more. We should have had three picks (though they should have had one, too). And the pick-six getting called back was absolute garbage. Geno was falling to the side, hit his own player and deflected under Bosa, who was basically airborne. I don't think it's humanly possible for him not to land on him at that point. Other than the awful would-be INT, Brock played a nice game. Did what he had to do, let his playmakers make plays, won a pivotal game in a tough environment. Got to keep stringing together these wins.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#228 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:19 pm

We’re running CMC too much. We need to lighten up his workload as we in closer to the playoffs. Jordan Mason has shown that he’s more than capable to get at least 10 touches a game.

Please DeMarco. Play Janoris Jenkins more. He’s undoubtedly our second best corner on the roster. If we allow Jenkins to start our defense becomes very scary.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#229 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:49 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:We’re running CMC too much. We need to lighten up his workload as we in closer to the playoffs. Jordan Mason has shown that he’s more than capable to get at least 10 touches a game.

Please DeMarco. Play Janoris Jenkins more. He’s undoubtedly our second best corner on the roster. If we allow Jenkins to start our defense becomes very scary.

Yeah, I had the same thought throughout the game. The Hawks couldn't stop the run up the gut coming into the game, then lost Pouha and Brooks during the game. But we kept hammering McCaffrey in there, and inexplicably kept running outside against a fast defense.

I would have liked to see Mason get 15-20 carries in this one. He's a very effective inside runner - probably more so than CMC. Obviously having McCaffrey on the field gives you a ton of versatility and opens things up for other players. But this was a team that couldn't stop the basics. Spare our superstar, attack the opponent's biggest weakness, grind the clock. Would have liked to have seen that three or four drives sooner.

Also, so thrilled - for the second year - with our third-round RB riding the pine while his much-less-heralded draft-mate (or undraft-mate in this case) excels. Especially considering what we have since given up for McCaffrey, it would have been really nice to have used those two third-rounders on another corner, OT, receiver, etc.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#230 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:55 pm

15-20 carries probably unrealistic. Let's say 10-15.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#231 » by Samurai » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:38 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:We’re running CMC too much. We need to lighten up his workload as we in closer to the playoffs. Jordan Mason has shown that he’s more than capable to get at least 10 touches a game.

I agree but Mason is a rookie. I think we have seen ample evidence that Shanahan strongly trusts veterans more than rookies. But we do need to keep CMC fresh, especially in the playoffs. Mason has shown that he is capable of giving CMC more of a blow than he has been asked to so far. The challenge with that has less to do with Mason as a runner but as a receiver; CMC is such a receiving threat that Purdy's game becomes much more limited when CMC is on the sidelines. Purdy (and Jimmy) thrive in short check-down passes; with CMC those become 5-7 yard gains instead of incomplete or 2-3 yard gains.

Not sure if Jenkins at 34 is better than Lenoir or not; pretty sure Lenoir is quicker/faster. Since I don't know, I will leave that up to Ryans and his staff based on what they are seeing in practice. But if they like Lenoir, I would like to see him with a shorter leash now that we have Jenkins.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#232 » by Samurai » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:27 pm

Also wanted to make a shout out to the game that Mooney Ward had. We've seen DK Metcalf, along with other big, physical receivers, just abuse our secondary in the past. Ward put a blanket on Metcalf as well as I've ever seen done; its been a long time since we have had that type of a shutdown corner!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#233 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:32 pm

Samurai wrote:

I agree but Mason is a rookie. I think we have seen ample evidence that Shanahan strongly trusts veterans more than rookies. But we do need to keep CMC fresh, especially in the playoffs. Mason has shown that he is capable of giving CMC more of a blow than he has been asked to so far. The challenge with that has less to do with Mason as a runner but as a receiver; CMC is such a receiving threat that Purdy's game becomes much more limited when CMC is on the sidelines. Purdy (and Jimmy) thrive in short check-down passes; with CMC those become 5-7 yard gains instead of incomplete or 2-3 yard gains.

Not sure if Jenkins at 34 is better than Lenoir or not; pretty sure Lenoir is quicker/faster. Since I don't know, I will leave that up to Ryans and his staff based on what they are seeing in practice. But if they like Lenoir, I would like to see him with a shorter leash now that we have Jenkins.

Of course CMC is a better all-around player than Mason, and there are reasons you want the dude on the field as much as possible. But it was clear going into the game that the Hawks struggled against the run, and that only became more clear as the game progressed. And as said, the one area where Mason may be on a level with McCaffrey is running up the gut. Given all of that, the fact that we excel at the run game, and the fact that McCaffrey will be an incredibly valuable piece if we're going to make a deep playoff run, I would have used Mason substantially more in this one.

Yes, Mason is a rookie, but Shanahan also trusted him late in the game when we needed to put together a drive and shut it down before the Hawks got a chance to tie it. Why trust him there but not when we're up 21-3 in the third quarter?

Re: Jenkins, I didn't really even notice him out there last night, but Greg Papa was saying on the radio this morning that he looks really fast out there. He and Lenoir are pretty similar physically, but Jenkins' three-cone was markedly faster.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#234 » by Samurai » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:27 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:Of course CMC is a better all-around player than Mason, and there are reasons you want the dude on the field as much as possible. But it was clear going into the game that the Hawks struggled against the run, and that only became more clear as the game progressed. And as said, the one area where Mason may be on a level with McCaffrey is running up the gut. Given all of that, the fact that we excel at the run game, and the fact that McCaffrey will be an incredibly valuable piece if we're going to make a deep playoff run, I would have used Mason substantially more in this one.

Yes, Mason is a rookie, but Shanahan also trusted him late in the game when we needed to put together a drive and shut it down before the Hawks got a chance to tie it. Why trust him there but not when we're up 21-3 in the third quarter?

Re: Jenkins, I didn't really even notice him out there last night, but Greg Papa was saying on the radio this morning that he looks really fast out there. He and Lenoir are pretty similar physically, but Jenkins' three-cone was markedly faster.

The thing is that CMC's ability to catch passes makes the team harder to defend. That would be true whether your QB is Purdy, Jimmy or Lance. But when you have a rookie like Purdy, I think Shanahan is trying very hard (and succeeding) at maximizing his opportunity to succeed and minimize his failures. If you become more one-dimensional, which we are when Mason is replacing CMC, that puts more pressure on Purdy. Defenses become more frazzled when CMC is in even if he is just a decoy so it becomes hard to take him out even if you know you should.

Jenkins had a 3-cone time of 6.95 at his combine compared to Lenoir's 7.02 at his Pro Day. But Jenkins' combine was 10 years ago, and it is unlikely that he could run that way now. But Jenkins' PFF score last season was 65.4 while Lenoir this season is at 59.7, so it is possible that Jackrabbit could still be a better CB. As I said, if Ryans and his team prefer Jenkins (or Lenoir), I'd trust their judgment. But if Jenkins gets the nod, Lenoir will still be needed to give Jenkins a periodic blow since most 34-year olds don't have the same endurance as a 23-year old. Really wish Verrett could have stayed healthy but I guess that's an oxymoron!
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#235 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:39 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Of course CMC is a better all-around player than Mason, and there are reasons you want the dude on the field as much as possible. But it was clear going into the game that the Hawks struggled against the run, and that only became more clear as the game progressed. And as said, the one area where Mason may be on a level with McCaffrey is running up the gut. Given all of that, the fact that we excel at the run game, and the fact that McCaffrey will be an incredibly valuable piece if we're going to make a deep playoff run, I would have used Mason substantially more in this one.

I’ve always loved CMC’s game since his Stanford days. I always used to fantasized having him or Dalvin Cook play in a Kyle Shanahan type offense. That dream has finally come to reality and he has a long injury history. He came closed of getting seriously injured several weeks ago - I think he made reference to that as well I forgot which game that was. Anyway, my initial statement of overusing him and to allow Mason to take some of those poundings had nothing to do with the Hawks weak run defense in the middle, but more so because I really want him to be 100 percent for the tournament. Having a ding up McCaffrey entering the playoffs defeats the purpose. We need both he and Deebo healthy.

Janoris Jenkins is a player I had a man crush on coming out of college. Some of you old heads probably remember my posts on him from the previous boards. At 34 he’s not nearly as explosive as he used to be but the guy still plays the game with an edge (gambles a lot and takes chances for the big play - that’s what Pozz used to dislike most about him. But I saw that as a positive). He took a chance last night if you guys remember the play. Went for the int and timed it wrong and gave up a first down catch to Metcalf. With how our dline is playing, I think our corners can gamble a bit from time to time. I hate the overly conservative we’ve been playin. Letting receivers catch passes in front of them and rally to the ball for a gang tackle.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#236 » by I_am_1z » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:54 pm

Like I've said for some YEARS now...

Greenlaw > Warner

49ers have put together an All-Star roster despite how so many people hated and called for John Lynch's head over the course this season, last year, and the year preceding that. I don't understand why Ambry isn't getting reps, but our DL is so good it may not even matter.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#237 » by Samurai » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:30 pm

I_am_1z wrote:Like I've said for some YEARS now...

Greenlaw > Warner

49ers have put together an All-Star roster despite how so many people hated and called for John Lynch's head over the course this season, last year, and the year preceding that. I don't understand why Ambry isn't getting reps, but our DL is so good it may not even matter.

The man reason Ambry isn't getting more reps is because he isn't as good as the people ahead of him. Ambry's PFF grade this year is 51.9. I think we can all agree that Moonie Ward (83.1) is our best corner and no way Ambry is taking his reps barring significant injury. Lenoir (59.7) has been our other outside corner since Moseley (70.9) went down. Personally I've been pushing for Womack (72.7) to take his place, although Ryans has said that Lenoir has been better in practice. Since I don't watch their practices, I will take Ryans' word on that. Jimmie Ward (70.5) has been our slot corner. So that just leaves Janoris Jenkins (46.6) to battle Ambry for any remaining reps. Jenkins got the nod against Seattle since Ambry aggravated his ankle on special teams. But if everyone is healthy there isn't room for many reps. Ordinarily Ambry would typically be ahead of Jenkins but the PFF scores show why Ambry isn't/shouldn't be ahead of the others.
I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Post#238 » by I_am_1z » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:18 pm

Samurai wrote:

Greenlaw > Warner

The man reason Ambry isn't getting more reps is because he isn't as good as the people ahead of him. Ambry's PFF grade this year is 51.9. I think we can all agree that Moonie Ward (83.1) is our best corner and no way Ambry is taking his reps barring significant injury. Lenoir (59.7) has been our other outside corner since Moseley (70.9) went down. Personally I've been pushing for Womack (72.7) to take his place, although Ryans has said that Lenoir has been better in practice. Since I don't watch their practices, I will take Ryans' word on that. Jimmie Ward (70.5) has been our slot corner. So that just leaves Janoris Jenkins (46.6) to battle Ambry for any remaining reps. Jenkins got the nod against Seattle since Ambry aggravated his ankle on special teams. But if everyone is healthy there isn't room for many reps. Ordinarily Ambry would typically be ahead of Jenkins but the PFF scores show why Ambry isn't/shouldn't be ahead of the others.

Womack is another guy I want getting more playing time. I really don't care what PFF says about Ambry's small sample size. He's not on the field enough for whatever statistic that comes out to have any real merit. I think it was the end of his rookie season we saw how well he could play. Now why isn't he getting a 2nd opportunity ?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#239 » by Samurai » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:32 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Greenlaw > Warner

Womack is another guy I want getting more playing time. I really don't care what PFF says about Ambry's small sample size. He's not on the field enough for whatever statistic that comes out to have any real merit. I think it was the end of his rookie season we saw how well he could play. Now why isn't he getting a 2nd opportunity ?

I'm assuming it had to do with what they showed in practice. This was Shanahan's explanation earlier this season: “He (Thomas) got better as the year went, but just coming back to OTAs, coming back to training camp, other guys have passed him up and he's still working hard to get back.” Since a follow-up question wasn't asked, I'm assuming that during OTA's and training camp, the coaches saw more from Lenoir and Womack than they did from Thomas and Ambry still hasn't shown enough since then to change their minds. I dunno, maybe Thomas has a little Allen Iverson in him where he just doesn't put in the effort during practice and Niner coaches seem to weigh what they see in practice pretty heavily, at least for the more borderline players.

Return to San Francisco 49ers