thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Re: Playoffs, Conference Championship Week: 49ers @ Eagles 

Post#342 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:15 pm

Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
If I’m Lance I’m demanding a trade though. There’s no way that Lance can sit another year and hope to have a successful career.

He can ask for one, but he has basically zero pedigree. Guys like that typically aren't in position to demand trades.

He can hold in, make them sign someone else. If it’s more of a chore to keep him then let him go then the team has no reason to keep him around.

I also don’t like them holding these guys hostage and hurting their careers

Again hold in/hold out, demanding trades, etc are for guys who have an established track record. In other words they have some leverage.

Lance doesn't. Holding in, would not only be a terrible look for Trey but all it would do is further stunt his development.

How are they holding him hostage? They gifted him the QB1 job going into the season, without any competition. He went on to get hurt, which sucks but thats just the breaks. Its not like he's been racking up healthy inactives.

Purdy stepped in and was a pleasant surprise. On the idea of "being held hostage" how would it be fair to Brock if they just gifted the QB1 job to Trey again?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 261

Post#343 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:16 pm

zman1 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
We'd be crazy to trade Lance even if Purdy is the starter.

Purdy has been hurt twice already. The first time he almost missed Seattle and now this game. We also currently should be on our 5th string QB right now and the only reason we're not is because we don't have one. This team definitely needs a starting capable backup QB.

Not to mention there really isn't a reason to give up on Lance who could end up being better than Purdy. The fandom has way overreacted to Lance's struggles and overreacted to Purdy's success.

Clearly Purdy should open the offseason as the starter but we shouldn't be crowning him as the long-term answer at QB right now. That's how we ended up with years of Jimmy G who granted played well but was above average at best.

I completely agree with you on all points. My thing is, from Lance’s perspective, there’s no chance that I’m sitting another season. I’m forcing a trade or sitting out
Win the job in camp. Or win it on an injury. Don't you believe you're better than Purdy?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

The Lance issue is that he needs to play to improve unlike Purdy who's had 4 years starting in college so he simply was out of the box ready.

That's what makes the situation messy because Purdy is the more sure thing but with much lower ceiling whereas Lance you need to take some early struggles in hopes to reach a much higher ceiling.

It'd be easier if the team wasn't ready to win now and you can afford to throw a guy out there and let him struggle and grow but the pressure is going to be on to take the sure thing now instead of gambling on potential.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#344 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 pm

Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:Does Lance go with Ryan’s to Houston next season?

I've heard Trey following Carthon to the Titans.

Really though, I don't see the 9ers trading him. His value is pretty low right now.

Also if this season has taught us anything, its that the 9ers sure as hell need more than 1 capable QB on the roster.

The Titans thing was blown out of proportion because of the Instagram post.

The emoji he used is also the emoji used for good luck which is most likely what he intended it to mean.

Oh yeah, I wasn't insinuating there was legs to that "story". Just mentioning Lance had been connected to Tennesse, however loosely that may be.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,518

Post#345 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:40 pm

Honestly this team probably wins 2 or 3 rings if they traded for Rodgers instead of those 1sts for Trey
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#346 » by arich35 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:46 pm

Besides Jimmie Ward, who are we losing next year?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#347 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:59 pm

arich35 wrote:Besides Jimmie Ward, who are we losing next year?

Unrestricted Free agents: J Ward, Garoppolo, Moseley, Ebukam, McGlinchey, Al-Shaair, Gould, Willis, Omenihu, Brunskill, Ridegway, Hyder, Gipson, Brendel

So the 9ers will have a several decisions to make on guys that played meaningful roles.

Of that list, I'd say that Moseley would be the biggest priority. Although coming off serious injury, a case could probably be made for someone else.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#348 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:01 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Honestly this team probably wins 2 or 3 rings if they traded for Rodgers instead of those 1sts for Trey

If Green Bay was interested in trading him at that time, they would have done it. They also definitely wouldn't have traded him to arguably their biggest conference rival.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#349 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:14 am

thesack12 wrote:

Unrestricted Free agents: J Ward, Garoppolo, Moseley, Ebukam, McGlinchey, Al-Shaair, Gould, Willis, Omenihu, Brunskill, Ridegway, Hyder, Gipson, Brendel

So the 9ers will have a several decisions to make on guys that played meaningful roles.

Of that list, I'd say that Moseley would be the biggest priority. Although coming off serious injury, a case could probably be made for someone else.

Ward, Moseley, Al-Shaair, Gould, Omenihu, & possibly Gipson would be the ones I want back. We really need to upgrade the OL
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#350 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:49 am

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Ward, Moseley, Al-Shaair, Gould, Omenihu, & possibly Gipson would be the ones I want back. We really need to upgrade the OL

While I am not a fan of McGlinchey, I think we need to re-sign him. Starting tackles are nearly impossible to find in the draft unless you use a 1st or 2nd round pick; we don't have either. Which means we also don't have high picks to trade. So I don't see a realistic way to upgrade RT through the draft or cheap trade. And according to PFF, their highest rated OT in free agency is.....McGlinchey. So not much chance of upgrading there either.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#351 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:06 am

Samurai wrote:
arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

While I am not a fan of McGlinchey, I think we need to re-sign him. Starting tackles are nearly impossible to find in the draft unless you use a 1st or 2nd round pick; we don't have either. Which means we also don't have high picks to trade. So I don't see a realistic way to upgrade RT through the draft or cheap trade. And according to PFF, their highest rated OT in free agency is.....McGlinchey. So not much chance of upgrading there either.

The biggest problem is McGlinchey is going to want a hefty extension. So its not necessarily solely about trying to get find an upgrade for him, its more about cost/production equation.

McGlinchey is likely looking at being a north of $10 mil/season guy. So the question is, how much of a downgrade is another guy you could bring in that will be substantially cheaper? Last season when McGlinchey went down, the dropoff to minimum contract having Tom Compton was not that big.

I think they believe Burford can play RT also. Of course that would open up a hole at RG, but guards are easier/cheaper to find and they seem to like Brunskill so they could bring him back to fill RG. Or maybe Jason Poe is ready to move into the guard position.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#352 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 am

thesack12 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
arich35 wrote:

The biggest problem is McGlinchey is going to want a hefty extension. So its not necessarily solely about trying to get find an upgrade for him, its more about cost/production equation.

McGlinchey is likely looking at being a north of $10 mil/season guy. So the question is, how much of a downgrade is another guy you could bring in that will be substantially cheaper? Last season when McGlinchey went down, the dropoff to minimum contract having Tom Compton was not that big.

I think they believe Burford can play RT also. Of course that would open up a hole at RG, but guards are easier/cheaper to find and they seem to like Brunskill so they could bring him back to fill RG. Or maybe Jason Poe is ready to move into the guard position.

Well of course if you are trying to downgrade then there are a wide range of options you could go at RT; downgrades are easy. The poster had stated that we needed to upgrade the OL, which makes sense. Upgrading the OL is a completely different scenario than downgrading it. Even a small downgrade is still a downgrade.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#353 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:39 am

Samurai wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Samurai wrote:While I am not a fan of McGlinchey, I think we need to re-sign him. Starting tackles are nearly impossible to find in the draft unless you use a 1st or 2nd round pick; we don't have either. Which means we also don't have high picks to trade. So I don't see a realistic way to upgrade RT through the draft or cheap trade. And according to PFF, their highest rated OT in free agency is.....McGlinchey. So not much chance of upgrading there either.

Well of course if you are trying to downgrade then there are a wide range of options you could go at RT; downgrades are easy. The poster had stated that we needed to upgrade the OL, which makes sense. Upgrading the OL is a completely different scenario than downgrading it. Even a small downgrade is still a downgrade.

Who's trying to downgrade? We'd all love to upgrade every position group on the roster, and of course the team would as well.

Cost is one of the biggest factors in the equation of team building. It must be considered when making roster decisions.

We also aren't talking about Jonathan Ogden here. Replacing or even upgrading on Mike McGlinchey isn't a daunting task. Spencer Burford might be able to do both of those things. Maybe kicking Burford over slightly downgrades RT but using the money saved on letting McGlinchey walk allows them to bring in a solid Center to replace Brendel. All of which results in a net upgrade to the O-line and perhaps even cheaper to boot.

Maybe, maybe not but there are several layers to be considered here.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#354 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:59 am

thesack12 wrote:
Samurai wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Who's trying to downgrade? We'd all love to upgrade every position group on the roster, and of course the team would as well.

Cost is one of the biggest factors in the equation of team building. It must be considered when making roster decisions.

We also aren't talking about Jonathan Ogden here. Replacing or even upgrading on Mike McGlinchey isn't a daunting task. Spencer Burford might be able to do both of those things. Maybe kicking Burford over slightly downgrades RT but using the money saved on letting McGlinchey walk allows them to bring in a solid Center to replace Brendel. All of which results in a net upgrade to the O-line and perhaps even cheaper to boot.

Maybe, maybe not but there are several layers to be considered here.

The downgrade comment was in response to the bolded part. As bad as McGlinchey has been at times, his PFF grade this season was 71.5 compared to Compton's 46.6, so yeah you are looking at a significant downgrade there.

Assuming we go with Purdy and Lance as our QB's (obviously a huge question mark at this point since we don't know yet if Purdy will need Tommy John yet), we would have one of the least expensive QB tandems in football. McGlinchey had a decent year but highly unlikely that he will command anything close to the $13M deal that Laken Tomlinson got. McGlinchey's current contract was paying him an average of $4.6M/year and I am skeptical that another team is going to offer him twice as much as that.

If there is a way to significantly upgrade RT for around the same money, then I'm all for that. I just don't see many/any realistic options to upgrade there given our lack of top draft picks. And since Brunskill and Brendel are both FA's as well, the need to address RG and C become needs that are as big (or bigger) as RT since we have no one to slide in at C, Burford (49.6 PFF grade) is unproven and Brunskill himself is better suited as a generalist insurance policy than the starting RG for a Super Bowl team. Bottom line is I am not convinced we can find a better RT for less money than what we currently have. It is typically easier to find a solid G than a T.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,222

Post#355 » by clyde21 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:48 am

what's Lance's trade value?
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#356 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:03 am

clyde21 wrote:what's Lance's trade value?

They say a 3rd but I've gotta believe it's higher than that.

The Colts for example loved him coming out so it's difficult for me to imagine them not giving up at least a 2nd for him.

I mean it's not like he's played a full season+ and looks like Zac Wilson. He's played 3 full games so there is plenty of unknown potential to be worth gambling on.

However I just don't see the team trading him for this upcoming offseason as they have 0 reason or incentive to move him.

There's no reason to give up on Lance and there is no reason to fully commit to Purdy without seeing him a full season to see if he can continue to play at a high level or he starts bashing his head against the ceiling.

Not to mention we don't know how healthy Purdy can even stay. He's been hurt twice already so he could be another Jimmy G injury-wise for all we know.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#357 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:08 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Honestly this team probably wins 2 or 3 rings if they traded for Rodgers instead of those 1sts for Trey

Maybe but I doubt it. Rodgers just plain chokes in the playoffs and he'd probably choke if he was on the 9ers as well.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#358 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:50 am

Rewatching the play where Purdy got hurt without knowing how it's supposed to develop it's hard to say whose to blame.

I know Kyle is getting roasted for it but Purdy did hold onto the ball and I wonder if he was supposed to get rid of it sooner.

Purdy held it a good 2 seconds once he hit his drop so I'm guessing he should've gotten rid of it once he hit his drop instead of deciding to hang onto it for a chance at a bigger play.

Again until you get an All 22 look at it than it's hard to say if Kyle called a slow developing play or Purdy was supposed to let it rip sooner.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Post#359 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:21 pm

Jikkle wrote:Rewatching the play where Purdy got hurt without knowing how it's supposed to develop it's hard to say whose to blame.

I know Kyle is getting roasted for it but Purdy did hold onto the ball and I wonder if he was supposed to get rid of it sooner.

Purdy held it a good 2 seconds once he hit his drop so I'm guessing he should've gotten rid of it once he hit his drop instead of deciding to hang onto it for a chance at a bigger play.

Again until you get an All 22 look at it than it's hard to say if Kyle called a slow developing play or Purdy was supposed to let it rip sooner.

How about not blocking their best pass rusher with Kroft?

BTW, it was play action and Reddick never bought it, went full bore at the QB.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,299

Post#360 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:27 pm

Didn’t notice that Davonte Smith signaled to his team to rush up to the line with his hands because he didn’t catch the ball on that 4th down play.

49ers May not have seen tHe ball hit the turf as he went down but they didn’t notice him signaling and the Eagles rushing up to the line as a result?

Defensive players didn’t apparently tell the sideline to throw the challenge flag.

They outcoached the 49ers. Massively.

Return to San Francisco 49ers