ImageImageImageImageImage

Purdy-Torn UCL

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Re: Purdy-Torn UCL 

Post#101 » by Dodub » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:29 am

Apparently it was another rough day for Brock today. 10-13, but he threw a pick 6 and one of his completions was a pick 6 that bounced off Lenior’s chest and somehow landed in Deebo’s arms (similar to Lance’s TD).

I’m officially in panic mode about our QB’s
arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Post#102 » by arich35 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:38 am

Dodub wrote:Apparently it was another rough day for Brock today. 10-13, but he threw a pick 6 and one of his completions was a pick 6 that bounced off Lenior’s chest and somehow landed in Deebo’s arms (similar to Lance’s TD).

Would like to see him in game action before pressing the panic mode. Some guys are better game players vs. practice, or he is taking more chances in practice because its practice and doesn't really matter. Purdy really didn't have training camp last year with the one's so this is new for him plus coming back from an injury. Going to give him the benefit of the doubt

Seems like there was more to it today:

Read on Twitter

From what I have seen in critical moments he is moving the ball down the field and getting in scoring position/throwing TD's
I would be more worried about those situations in practice
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#103 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:39 am

Dodub wrote:Apparently it was another rough day for Brock today. 10-13, but he threw a pick 6 and one of his completions was a pick 6 that bounced off Lenior’s chest and somehow landed in Deebo’s arms (similar to Lance’s TD).

You never want to see your QB throw INT's, especially in bunches. However, one thing that is lost in that equation is that the 9er QB's are going up against a top tier defense every day. The same defense that led the NFL in interceptions last year. There is a chance that the defense Brock/Trey/Darnold oppose every day in practice might be the toughest they go against all season.

Training camp/practice interceptions are kind of a double edge sword (hell every play of any variety is for that matter.) A + play for the offense makes the defense look bad, and + play for the defense makes the offense look bad.

So I wouldn't panic about the picks just yet.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#104 » by thesack12 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:44 am

Read on Twitter

This tweet sheds some additional light on the camp INT's

It shows that the QB's tend to throw a lot of picks facing an elite defense and may take more chances during practice, but tend to reduce the turnover rate when it matters while consistently facing weaker defenses.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#105 » by Jikkle » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:15 am

I'm only mildly concerned about the INTs from Purdy. I don't think the offense has ever really looked good or sharp in training camp under Shanahan but usually ends up fine during the season.

The offense relies heavily on beating the defense with scheme and Purdy isn't going to thrive with arm talent and making a ton of tight window throws but his execution of the scheme and finding the open man and getting him the ball.

I do say I'm mildly concerned though because Purdy did have a number of throws that were pretty close to being INTs so yeah his INTs number look ok from last season but I thought he could've had another 2 or 3 INTs.

I'm just hoping those near misses were more of a rookie thing than anything else and not an indication that we just pretty much have Jimmy G that can move better.
arich35
General Manager

Post#106 » by arich35 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:48 pm

I am concerned that Kyle isn't committing to Purdy playing. I really wish Kyle wouldn't sit all the starters for most of the pre-season. If I can get inside his head, my guess is he doesn't want his QB out there if Trent Williams isn't going to play
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 962

Post#107 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:10 pm

arich35 wrote:I am concerned that Kyle isn't committing to Purdy playing. I really wish Kyle wouldn't sit all the starters for most of the pre-season. If I can get inside his head, my guess is he doesn't want his QB out there if Trent Williams isn't going to play

Yeah, it bothers me. I get wanting to avoid injuries, but this is football. Injuries are part of the game, and it's not like avoiding the preseason has allowed us to stay healthy in season. But what we have seen consistently are early season struggles, including what have appeared to be some struggles with physicality early in the season. I'd love to see our starters - especially the young ones - get a little more action to get ready for sixty minutes of the real deal in a couple weeks' time.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#108 » by Dodub » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:23 am

thesack12 wrote:

You never want to see your QB throw INT's, especially in bunches. However, one thing that is lost in that equation is that the 9er QB's are going up against a top tier defense every day. The same defense that led the NFL in interceptions last year. There is a chance that the defense Brock/Trey/Darnold oppose every day in practice might be the toughest they go against all season.

Training camp/practice interceptions are kind of a double edge sword (hell every play of any variety is for that matter.) A + play for the offense makes the defense look bad, and + play for the defense makes the offense look bad.

So I wouldn't panic about the picks just yet.

I’d say the same thing, except that he went to the Raiders and did the exact same thing and no one would call them a top defense. What’s also worrisome is that Purdy struggled so heavily, but Jimmy G carved our defense up for 2 straight days in joint practices.
Dodub
General Manager

Post#109 » by Dodub » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:25 am

It was announced that Purdy had 10 ints, 4 of them were pick 6’s and 8 dropped ints through 12 practices.

That is absolutely alarming for any starting QB
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#110 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:45 pm

I guess the silver lining is that he had similar numbers in last year's camp, presumably mostly playing against the third string, and was fine to very good (granted he threw a number of near-interceptions, but his turnover-worthy plays was still low) in the regular season. But I agree it's not what you'd like to hear.
arich35
General Manager

Post#111 » by arich35 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:50 pm

Dodub wrote:It was announced that Purdy had 10 ints, 4 of them were pick 6’s and 8 dropped ints through 12 practices.

Still really not concerned with practice
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#112 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:07 pm

arich35 wrote:
Dodub wrote:It was announced that Purdy had 10 ints, 4 of them were pick 6’s and 8 dropped ints through 12 practices.

Still really not concerned with practice

Not going to lose any sleep over it until he does it in real games, certainly. But almost doubling up Jimmy's practice interception rate is somewhat troubling....
arich35
General Manager

Post#113 » by arich35 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,565

Post#114 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 1, 2023 8:31 am

Anyone getting nervous about the Purdy arm news? In case you missed it, Purdy was officially cleared for full usage a while back but the Niners decided to keep him on a pitch count for a while just to be safe. Now many journalists were slightly confused by when this ~ 700 throws limit would be lifted, the Niners often seem confused themselves, but the general opinion was it would obviously be lifted by Game 1.

Instead of lifting the pitch count, after seeing very limited time in Pre-season games, they have suddenly cut it in half. And no one from the organization is giving non-evasive answers to questions about it. Also, though I haven’t seen it myself, a clip is circulating of a play in the last pre-season game where Brock badly missed an open Deebo and then ~ winced and kind of jerked his throwing arm in an unusual way he hasn’t been noticed doing before. Now it might be his jersey was caught on a shoulder pad or something, but that possible incident followed by unexpectedly imposing a much stricter pitch count has even alleged ‘homers’ like Middlecauff concerned, especially after seeing the clip.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#115 » by Jikkle » Fri Sep 1, 2023 9:39 am

Harry Palmer wrote:Anyone getting nervous about the Purdy arm news? In case you missed it, Purdy was officially cleared for full usage a while back but the Niners decided to keep him on a pitch count for a while just to be safe. Now many journalists were slightly confused by when this ~ 700 throws limit would be lifted, the Niners often seem confused themselves, but the general opinion was it would obviously be lifted by Game 1.

Instead of lifting the pitch count, after seeing very limited time in Pre-season games, they have suddenly cut it in half. And no one from the organization is giving non-evasive answers to questions about it. Also, though I haven’t seen it myself, a clip is circulating of a play in the last pre-season game where Brock badly missed an open Deebo and then ~ winced and kind of jerked his throwing arm in an unusual way he hasn’t been noticed doing before. Now it might be his jersey was caught on a shoulder pad or something, but that possible incident followed by unexpectedly imposing a much stricter pitch count has even alleged ‘homers’ like Middlecauff concerned, especially after seeing the clip.

It's definitely a concern and I don't trust the organization to really tell the whole truth. But to be fair pretty much every team plays off injuries like they aren't a big deal unless it's an obvious injury they can't downplay.

If it's just arm fatigue I don't think it will be a massive concern and given that he was just barely fully cleared for TC he's really been rebuilding his stamina in his arm through TC so I don't think arm fatigue is unusual. Just something they probably have to manage during the season.

Now if there is actual damage or a setback on his arm then it's going to likely be Darnold's team at some point and the Trey Lance trade will look even worse.

I'm guessing he'll be fine early in the season at least but it's something worth monitoring as the season goes on and wear and tear on the body builds up.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,565

Post#116 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 1, 2023 11:36 am

Jikkle wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Anyone getting nervous about the Purdy arm news? In case you missed it, Purdy was officially cleared for full usage a while back but the Niners decided to keep him on a pitch count for a while just to be safe. Now many journalists were slightly confused by when this ~ 700 throws limit would be lifted, the Niners often seem confused themselves, but the general opinion was it would obviously be lifted by Game 1.

It's definitely a concern and I don't trust the organization to really tell the whole truth. But to be fair pretty much every team plays off injuries like they aren't a big deal unless it's an obvious injury they can't downplay.

If it's just arm fatigue I don't think it will be a massive concern and given that he was just barely fully cleared for TC he's really been rebuilding his stamina in his arm through TC so I don't think arm fatigue is unusual. Just something they probably have to manage during the season.

Now if there is actual damage or a setback on his arm then it's going to likely be Darnold's team at some point and the Trey Lance trade will look even worse.

I'm guessing he'll be fine early in the season at least but it's something worth monitoring as the season goes on and wear and tear on the body builds up.

Yeah, agreed. I was saying earlier I think we’re a ways away from Kyle actually being on the hot seat, but if Purdy’s arm is re-injured, or requires significant downtime this season, that I think would move the needle and Kyle/John might well be losing a lot of job security. And in the unlikely event that while this is going on Trey gets run in Dallas of all places and shows at least more flashes of serious potential, that might become such a PR nightmare that it could get really ugly really quickly.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#117 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 1, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm not going to freak out about it at this point, but if Purdy doesn't suffer any kind of a setback, he would be the only guy under this regime except Nick Bosa that I can remember who suffered a serious injury and didn't have some sort of issue coming back. It's been a chronic issue for these Niners.

This is one of, and probably the biggest reason why I really didn't want them to trade Lance. Purdy is a young QB with limited playing time and coming back from a serious injury to his throwing arm. Injury aside, there are concerns about defenses catching on and limiting him, and a natural regression to the mean on INT percentage and a repeatable degree of success throwing to the 10-20 yard area (he completed a historically high number of passes in that area last year and he's unlikely to replicate that). Add in the fact that we just don't know how the arm will hold up over a season, or after it takes a hit (which it almost did in two drives against the Charges), and we're in a really tenuous situation.

I don't think Shanahan is on the hot seat per se, but I do think his leash is a lot shorter than it was a year or two ago. If Purdy doesn't make it through the year, Darnold comes in and struggles, and this team misses the playoffs, for instance, he could definitely move onto the hot seat. That's the nightmare scenario. And in that case, it won't even matter what Lance is doing in Dallas. Just the promise of Lance would be enough to put Kyle into really hot water. Let's all hope it doesn't happen.
arich35
General Manager

Post#118 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 6:48 pm

For anyone with The Athletic, here is an article on Purdy after he had a broke rib before the Seattle game last year.

https://theathletic.com/4826852/2023/09/04/brock-purdy-49ers-broken-ribs-kyle-shanahan/?source=user-shared-article

Return to San Francisco 49ers