2023 Offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

arich35
General Manager
And1: 819

Re: 2023 Offseason 

Post#281 » by arich35 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:25 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Apparently one rumour making the rounds is Lance to the Vikings for a pass-rusher, Danielle Hunter is the name mentioned most…with picks going both ways. FWIW.

What does that tell you about how the 49ers feel about Jackson?

I think it is more of the depth of pass rushers right now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 961

Post#282 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:32 pm

Jackson appears to be coming along, but he isn't there yet and may not get there. Hard to say how much the injury had to do with that. Ferrell is a solid player, but he's never going to be an impact pass rusher. Bryant has flashed a couple times in preseason, but it's against backups. Beal hasn't really played at all.

Adding a guy like Hunter would be a pretty dramatic improvement for this team. Though Hunter signed a new contract that appears to have a pretty odd structure. I don't know that they can realistically trade him. And he would be fairly expensive for the Niners. I would rather just add Melvin Ingram for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost and without having to work out a trade.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#283 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:34 pm

OMG, now Moody has a leg strain and won't play in the last preseason game. Could preseason have been any worse for that dude? I think there's a good chance he'll right the ship, but this is all part of why drafting a kicker in the third round doesn't make sense. The track record for rookie kickers is awful. Should have taken an OT and stuck with Gonzalez....
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#284 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Jackson appears to be coming along, but he isn't there yet and may not get there. Hard to say how much the injury had to do with that. Ferrell is a solid player, but he's never going to be an impact pass rusher. Bryant has flashed a couple times in preseason, but it's against backups. Beal hasn't really played at all.

Adding a guy like Hunter would be a pretty dramatic improvement for this team. Though Hunter signed a new contract that appears to have a pretty odd structure. I don't know that they can realistically trade him. And he would be fairly expensive for the Niners. I would rather just add Melvin Ingram for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost and without having to work out a trade.

Jackson appeared to show some promise early last season and then kind of disappeared. It was blamed in part on a lack of conditioning. Supposedly this year he is in better shape and looked ready to go. I really haven't heard about him since then.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,529

Post#285 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:OMG, now Moody has a leg strain and won't play in the last preseason game. Could preseason have been any worse for that dude? I think there's a good chance he'll right the ship, but this is all part of why drafting a kicker in the third round doesn't make sense. The track record for rookie kickers is awful. Should have taken an OT and stuck with Gonzalez....

To be fair, people were saying that if he looked bad this week in practice or the game we should expect a hamstring pull or similar to suddenly crop up.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#286 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:OMG, now Moody has a leg strain and won't play in the last preseason game. Could preseason have been any worse for that dude? I think there's a good chance he'll right the ship, but this is all part of why drafting a kicker in the third round doesn't make sense. The track record for rookie kickers is awful. Should have taken an OT and stuck with Gonzalez....

To be fair, people were saying that if he looked bad this week in practice or the game we should expect a hamstring pull or similar to suddenly crop up. But yes, off-season from hell so far.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#287 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:24 pm

Why? Are they going to put him on IR for the year? If they want him to return this season, they've got to keep him on the initial 53.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#288 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:54 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Why? Are they going to put him on IR for the year? If they want him to return this season, they've got to keep him on the initial 53.

That is not happening.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#289 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:01 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Why? Are they going to put him on IR for the year? If they want him to return this season, they've got to keep him on the initial 53.

That is not happening.

Which part? Season-ending IR? It would be the peak of irony if it did...
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#290 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:23 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

That is not happening.

Which part? Season-ending IR? It would be the peak of irony if it did...

Season ending IR
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#291 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:29 pm

Perhaps, but the one kickoff that Gonzalez handled against the Broncos barely reached the 10-yard line and was returned to midfield. Giving up field position is something we need to avoid in the regular season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#292 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:52 pm

Samurai wrote:

Perhaps, but the one kickoff that Gonzalez handled against the Broncos barely reached the 10-yard line and was returned to midfield. Giving up field position is something we need to avoid in the regular season.

No different than Gould over the past few years.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#293 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Correct, but if we couldn't retain/afford Gould, the hope was that we could find a stronger leg than a 40-year old.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#294 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:Perhaps, but the one kickoff that Gonzalez handled against the Broncos barely reached the 10-yard line and was returned to midfield. Giving up field position is something we need to avoid in the regular season.

Correct, but if we couldn't retain/afford Gould, the hope was that we could find a stronger leg than a 40-year old.

Sure, but if you can replicate Gould's production at 1/4 the cost, that would be a worthwhile move. I'm also not sure how harshly we can judge Gonzalez based on a single preseason kickoff. 63.6% of his kickoffs in 2021 resulted in touchbacks. Gould was just shy of 50% last year, and 42% the year before.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#295 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:05 pm

Rappaport reporting 9ers and Bosa are at an impasse, Bosa camp has drawn a hard line and 9ers are so far unwilling to meet it. Bosa missing at least week 1 looking very possible.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
arich35
General Manager

Post#296 » by arich35 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:25 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Rappaport reporting 9ers and Bosa are at an impasse, Bosa camp has drawn a hard line and 9ers are so far unwilling to meet it. Bosa missing at least week 1 looking very possible.

Source? He has not tweeted anything about it
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#297 » by Harry Palmer » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:05 pm

arich35 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Rappaport reporting 9ers and Bosa are at an impasse, Bosa camp has drawn a hard line and 9ers are so far unwilling to meet it. Bosa missing at least week 1 looking very possible.

Source? He has not tweeted anything about it

Several YT’s quoting him, Grant Cohn, Jack Hammer, 49ers Report, etc.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Samurai
General Manager

Post#298 » by Samurai » Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:54 am

Cameron Latu has a torn meniscus and will require surgery. A solid TE needs to do more than drop passes so its hard for me to imagine that he has earned a roster spot so my guess is he would be a candidate for the season-ending IR. Looks like that clears a little of the logjam that the team was looking at in the TE room.

Other injuries include: Tayler Hawkins (S) has a broken hand and needs surgery.
AJ Parker (CB) has a hammy and will miss a few weeks.
Jordan Mason (foot) and Chris Conley (shoulder) are day-to-day.
And - shocker - Elijah Mitchell was forced to miss a week due to a tight adductor. His third injury since June. If Superman is called the Man of Steel, Mitchell has laid claim to the title Man of Kleenex.
arich35
General Manager

Post#299 » by arich35 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:58 am

Samurai wrote:Cameron Latu has a torn meniscus and will require surgery. A solid TE needs to do more than drop passes so its hard for me to imagine that he has earned a roster spot so my guess is he would be a candidate for the season-ending IR. Looks like that clears a little of the logjam that the team was looking at in the TE room.

Other injuries include: Tayler Hawkins (S) has a broken hand and needs surgery.
AJ Parker (CB) has a hammy and will miss a few weeks.
Jordan Mason (foot) and Chris Conley (shoulder) are day-to-day.
And - shocker - Elijah Mitchell was forced to miss a week due to a tight adductor. His third injury since June. If Superman is called the Man of Steel, Mitchell has laid claim to the title Man of Kleenex.

Also this which isn't good news
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#300 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:04 am

Season is already feeling a bit cursed. No Bosa, injuries piling up. Let's hope things change in a positive direction soon.

Return to San Francisco 49ers