Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 962

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#521 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:33 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:If we shyt the bed against Green Bay on Saturday, or even in the NFC title game against this field, then we never deserved it. Yeah, I get the "Any given Sunday" trope, but it would be incredibly bizarre if the 49ers came out looking like trash against GB.
There's no excuse, outside of terrible luck of injuries during the game, to lose to GB. While it would be disappointing to lose to DET (if they beat TB) in the NFC CG, I wouldn't be surprised. DET matches up well with SF on offense, especially their running backs.

I respect Detroit, but the 49ers are, IMO, comfortably the better team out of the two. Given the #1 seed, the bye week on top of resting key guys in Week 18 everything has lined up for the Niners to waltz into Vegas in three weeks.

In some ways, the Lions are a matchup problem for the Niners. They can run the ball. They have a really good OL, good skill players, and a solid QB who can be really good when he's not ruffled. And their run D is among the best in the league, so they can take away what the Niners like to do on offense. But their pass D is bad, and they are so much better at home and on turf than on the road on grass. In SF, possibly in a weather game (as opposed to this weekend, I'd have no problem with a little rain against Detroit), it's hard to see Goff and that offense really clicking.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#522 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:37 pm

Not to mention that Detroit doesn't really have any signature wins this year, other than the week one win over the Chiefs. They beat the Packers when the Packers were awful - then lost to them when the Packers were good - and then beat Tampa Bay pretty handily. But those are the only playoff teams they beat. They lost to Seattle, Dallas, and badly to Baltimore. Down the stretch, they dropped games to the Packers, the Bears, and the Cowboys. Can they beat us? Sure. But it would be surprising.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,521

Post#523 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:32 am

Well, they did beat the Cowboys, but it didn't count
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#524 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:54 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Well, they did beat the Cowboys, but it didn't count

Haha. Fair. I don't feel that bad for them. They got cute, confused the officials (not excusing the officials), and didn't correct the official when he announced the wrong player eligible. For that reason, that play couldn't have stood. Even if it stemmed from an officiating error.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#525 » by thesack12 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:04 pm

This is easily the most talented roster from top to bottom of the Kyle/Lynch regime. Both sides of the ball are completely stacked now. That 2019 team had an amazing defense, but the offensive talent wasn't really all that remarkable overall. Jimmy < Purdy,
Staley < Trent, Mckivitz = Mcglinchey, 2019 IOL > 2023 IOL, Kittle = Kittle, 2019 RB's and WR's <<< 2023 weapons.

Compared to 2019 This team is also MUCH more experienced and has been battle tested. 2019 was the 1st playoff run for almost all of the key players. Really only Staley, Sherman, and Sanders had playoff experience. And Sanders was brought in via midseason trade.

That 2019 team also featured a rookie Deebo, rookie Bosa, rookie Greenlaw, 2nd year Warner, 3rd year Kittle. Save for maybe Kittle, all of those core players are better now than they were back then.

In 2019 Kyle was only in his 3rd season of being a head coach, and Saleh was only in his 3rd season of being a DC. 2019 also marked the first playoff runs for both of those guys in their positions as well. Whereas Kyle is now in his 7th season as HC and Wilks has been a DC for multiple teams as well as an HC for Arizona and interim HC for Carolina. So the hierarchy of the coaching staff is more seasoned as well.

This is also BY FAR the the healthiest season the team has had under this regime (*knocks on wood*.) Deebo, Trent, McCloud, Jennings, Armstead, etc missed some games here and there, but Hufanga was really the only substantial injury this season. Even with Huf, you could argue that wasn't overly debilitating as Brown has stepped in and played admirably.

All of the above factored in + 9ers have home field advantage through the NFC championship game , + coming off the much coveted bye week to heal up and rest to even further fortify their chances.

If the Niners can't close the deal and bring home Lombardi #6 this season it would a massive disappointment and deemed a failure in a lot of people's eyes.

Lets go 9ers
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#526 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:46 pm

Lions are going to be a challenge. Detroit offense is probably better than Packers, though their OL is dinged up a bit.

But they have very good weapons, especially if Laporta is even more recovered from late season injury and Rookie Gibbs is coming on, including in the passing game.

Lions will cheese you all day with play action. Remember that Cousins dominated the 49ers without Jefferson in the Vikings game.

Most of Cousins big pass completions came off play action.

He was using it almost every play.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#527 » by Samurai » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:01 pm

wco81 wrote:Lions are going to be a challenge. Detroit offense is probably better than Packers, though their OL is dinged up a bit.

But they have very good weapons, especially if Laporta is even more recovered from late season injury and Rookie Gibbs is coming on, including in the passing game.

Lions will cheese you all day with play action. Remember that Cousins dominated the 49ers without Jefferson in the Vikings game.

Most of Cousins big pass completions came off play action.

He was using it almost every play.

It's up to Wilks to handle that. He has the talent on the field to do it; he just needs to come up with the strategy and scheme that puts our guys in position to best use that talent. Sometimes I'm just not convinced that Wilks watches film or even if he watches it that he can come up with the right scheme. I honestly had more faith in Saleh and Ryans than Wilks. Would be thrilled to have Wilks prove me wrong.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#528 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:50 pm

DL is going to be huge in this one. We've got to stop their run and get to Goff. Goff has a tendency to crumble when he's pressured, but if he's kept clean, he's really good at getting the ball to his playmakers. Maybe nobody in the league who plays so differently when he's uncomfortable vs. not. They have a really good OL, but Jackson (who has been the weak link anyway) is out and Ragnow is banged up. Got to see something from our DTs and Bosa.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,887

Post#529 » by SK21209 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:40 pm

Yup, and I would be fine to see more blitzes than usual against this particular opponent.

I feel like there hasn't been a ton of discussion of Chase Young since he got here. I was not impressed his game against the Packers, he was having a lot of trouble setting the edge. With Ferrell out for the rest of the playoffs, we really need Young to step up and be a consistent 3-down guy.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#530 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:16 pm

SK21209 wrote:Yup, and I would be fine to see more blitzes than usual against this particular opponent.

I feel like there hasn't been a ton of discussion of Chase Young since he got here. I was not impressed his game against the Packers, he was having a lot of trouble setting the edge. With Ferrell out for the rest of the playoffs, we really need Young to step up and be a consistent 3-down guy.

Seemed like no one could set the edge against GB. Bosa was awful, too. That's not to excuse Young, but it was a team-wide problem.

I'm very interested to see the DL play this week. They tend to play pretty conservatively against mobile QBs, trying to keep them in the pocket and keep things in front of them. I think (hope?) that's why we see so many bull rushes without much in the way of counters. Goff is the antithesis of a mobile QB, so I hope we see some more aggressive rushes and maybe a little more blitzing. Rattling Goff is absolutely the key to shutting down this Detroit offense. We have to stop the run, too, or they'll just grind it out against us. But history suggests that if we hit Goff, he'll fold.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#531 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:13 pm

I think I knew it at one point - and they probably mentioned it on the broadcast - but I had forgotten that the Packers took Musgrave and Kraft at TE in this past draft. Both well before we took Latu, so at least I can't be angry that we passed on one of them.

Really frustrated by the run on TEs this past year, and that we were the basically the caboose on that TE run and used our third pick on a guy who couldn't even sniff the roster and needed to red shirt.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,241

Post#532 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:05 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
SK21209 wrote:Yup, and I would be fine to see more blitzes than usual against this particular opponent.

Seemed like no one could set the edge against GB. Bosa was awful, too. That's not to excuse Young, but it was a team-wide problem.

I'm very interested to see the DL play this week. They tend to play pretty conservatively against mobile QBs, trying to keep them in the pocket and keep things in front of them. I think (hope?) that's why we see so many bull rushes without much in the way of counters. Goff is the antithesis of a mobile QB, so I hope we see some more aggressive rushes and maybe a little more blitzing. Rattling Goff is absolutely the key to shutting down this Detroit offense. We have to stop the run, too, or they'll just grind it out against us. But history suggests that if we hit Goff, he'll fold.

Man, I'm so down on this DL. They are over-rated and downright disappointing.

DL struggling to set edges and plug gaps up the middle is the main reason why the run defense has been struggling. A few weeks ago poor tackling on the 2nd and 3rd levels was a key ingredient to that as well. But last week, it was almost all related to DL getting outplayed. Of course you have to get past Detroit first but if the DL continues to struggle that badly to set edges and lose contain Jackson will murder the defense with his legs and Mahomes will be able to extend lots of plays and hit dudes downfield.

The pass rush has just be pitiful. Like embarassingly bad. I read that they had like 20 pressures against Love last week, which I'm not buying. I really need an explanation on what qualifies as a "pressures" because watching that game last week it sure seemed like Love barely had any heat on him the entire game. Only thing I can think of is on the select few plays where they did get some push, there must have been 3 or 4 guys in the vicinity and they all got credit for a pressure. Love had 34 pass attempts and the eye test showed that he pressured on like 7 or 8 plays tops. He was afforded quite a bit of comfort back there. Regardless not recording a single sack in 34 pass attempts (plus 5 credited runs, where probably at least 3 of those plays started as dropbacks to pass) is just dumbfounding.

Wilks isn't real big on blitzing (3rd lowest in the league at 18%) And as good as the LB's are, they aren't great pass rushers. Don't think the safeties are good blitz candidates either. Gipson has never shown much pass rushing chops and while Ryan does have some abiliity there in the past, he's old, so not a lot of burst to offer in a blitz situation. So I'm not sure what the DL and Wilks needs to do to generate more pressure, but they need to figure the heck out. As you made mention Goff struggles mightily when he's under durress, and he's historically not that difficult to rattle if you can consistently get in his face.

Whatever they do, don't dial up a blitz that will leave Ambry Thomas on an island because we all know how that would play out.

Right now it just feels like it will be easier to find live specimens of a sasquatch AND a chupacabra than it will be for the defense to get a sack.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#533 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:54 pm

Ragnow played through a sprained knee and ankle last week. Those are the sorts of injuries that can get worse the more time passes. With him banged up and their OG out, our DTs need to play the game of their lives. If we can get pressure up the gut on Goff, it's hard to see them beating us.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#534 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:57 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

DL struggling to set edges and plug gaps up the middle is the main reason why the run defense has been struggling. A few weeks ago poor tackling on the 2nd and 3rd levels was a key ingredient to that as well. But last week, it was almost all related to DL getting outplayed. Of course you have to get past Detroit first but if the DL continues to struggle that badly to set edges and lose contain Jackson will murder the defense with his legs and Mahomes will be able to extend lots of plays and hit dudes downfield.

The pass rush has just be pitiful. Like embarassingly bad. I read that they had like 20 pressures against Love last week, which I'm not buying. I really need an explanation on what qualifies as a "pressures" because watching that game last week it sure seemed like Love barely had any heat on him the entire game. Only thing I can think of is on the select few plays where they did get some push, there must have been 3 or 4 guys in the vicinity and they all got credit for a pressure. Love had 34 pass attempts and the eye test showed that he pressured on like 7 or 8 plays tops. He was afforded quite a bit of comfort back there. Regardless not recording a single sack in 34 pass attempts (plus 5 credited runs, where probably at least 3 of those plays started as dropbacks to pass) is just dumbfounding.

Wilks isn't real big on blitzing (3rd lowest in the league at 18%) And as good as the LB's are, they aren't great pass rushers. Don't think the safeties are good blitz candidates either. Gipson has never shown much pass rushing chops and while Ryan does have some abiliity there in the past, he's old, so not a lot of burst to offer in a blitz situation. So I'm not sure what the DL and Wilks needs to do to generate more pressure, but they need to figure the heck out. As you made mention Goff struggles mightily when he's under durress, and he's historically not that difficult to rattle if you can consistently get in his face.

Whatever they do, don't dial up a blitz that will leave Ambry Thomas on an island because we all know how that would play out.

Right now it just feels like it will be easier to find live specimens of a sasquatch AND a chupacabra than it will be for the defense to get a sack.

This game should be revealing for the pass rush. Goff is maybe the worst running QB in the league, so on obvious passing downs, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to tee off on him with abandon. Can they beat the talented guy opposite them? Or is this group overrated and overpaid? We'll find out. If we lose, the DL is almost certainly going to be a big reason why.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#535 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 pm

I'm interested to see us against the run, too. I may be wrong about this, but I felt like we actually did a pretty good job against the run between the tackles. The 53-yarder was not an outside run, and that was obviously their best run, but other than that, I can't recall any particularly successful runs up the gut. They seemed to be hurting us with outside runs, where I repeatedly saw our guys losing contain and letting them get the edge. Absolutely have to clean that up, or Gibbs will torch us.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#536 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:I'm interested to see us against the run, too. I may be wrong about this, but I felt like we actually did a pretty good job against the run between the tackles. The 53-yarder was not an outside run, and that was obviously their best run, but other than that, I can't recall any particularly successful runs up the gut. They seemed to be hurting us with outside runs, where I repeatedly saw our guys losing contain and letting them get the edge. Absolutely have to clean that up, or Gibbs will torch us.

While the numbers did not seem big, it seemed to me the RBs were consistently picking up yardage on first and second downs. Seems like they had a lot of third and short situations.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#537 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:06 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

This game should be revealing for the pass rush. Goff is maybe the worst running QB in the league, so on obvious passing downs, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to tee off on him with abandon. Can they beat the talented guy opposite them? Or is this group overrated and overpaid? We'll find out. If we lose, the DL is almost certainly going to be a big reason why.

What concerns me is the Dline has not been getting consistent pressure this season even when playing against lines that weren't very good this season. Now they are going up against a top five passing line. They need to get more pressure, especially since Goff is not a threat to run like other QBs. I understand when playing against fast QBs they sometimes sacrifice an aggressive pass rush for containment.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#538 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:20 pm

Cohn says based on his look at Deebo on a side field at practice that he thinks he'll play at least some of the game. Let's hope so. Doesn't seem like the sort of thing that you're going to risk long-term injury to if he gets hit, so hopefully he soldiers through it. We need him out there....
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#539 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:36 pm

Vic Fangio expected to become DC of the Eagles. That sucks. I like Fangio a lot. Sorry to see him go to a talented opponent.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#540 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:57 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Vic Fangio expected to become DC of the Eagles. That sucks. I like Fangio a lot. Sorry to see him go to a talented opponent.

Me too. This is the first stop in the NFL where I can recall Fangio's defense was bad. Not sure what happened but he must have been the fall guy

Return to San Francisco 49ers