2023 Season

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,263

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#541 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:09 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Vic Fangio expected to become DC of the Eagles. That sucks. I like Fangio a lot. Sorry to see him go to a talented opponent.

Me too. This is the first stop in the NFL where I can recall Fangio's defense was bad. Not sure what happened but he must have been the fall guy

Was he fired?

Dolphins had a lot of big injuries. Funny he was featured a bit on Hard Knocks.

Interesting that he goes to Philly and Harbaugh just signed with the Chargers.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#542 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:29 am

wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Vic Fangio expected to become DC of the Eagles. That sucks. I like Fangio a lot. Sorry to see him go to a talented opponent.

Me too. This is the first stop in the NFL where I can recall Fangio's defense was bad. Not sure what happened but he must have been the fall guy

Was he fired?

Not officially, Sounded like a mutual parting but I bet it was the same mutual parting as Belicheck. Agree to go or you are fired. I can't imagine Fangio wanting to leave for a lateral move after such a short tenure especially on a team that had success this year.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#543 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:31 am

wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Was he fired?

I wish he went to the Chargers and the AFC instead of Philly. I am looking forward to seeing Harbaugh in LA to see if he can repeat that success in LA
wco81
RealGM

Post#544 » by wco81 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:39 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Me too. This is the first stop in the NFL where I can recall Fangio's defense was bad. Not sure what happened but he must have been the fall guy

Was he fired?

I wish he went to the Chargers and the AFC instead of Philly. I am looking forward to seeing Harbaugh in LA to see if he can repeat that success in LA

There were rumors that Michigan was offering like $125 or 150 million for Harbaugh to stay. Not sure over how many years.

So did Harbaugh pass up huge money like that to go to the Chargers?

Supposedly he raved about Herbert to some colleague in the NFL. So maybe he's going for the coaching challenge.

But he's going to be facing Mahomes and Reid, who've dominated that division and the AFC for the last 5-6 years.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#545 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:42 am

Supposedly Fangio wanted to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania, so Miami let him out of his contract to grant his desires.

Not sure how much truth there is to that, but since it was announced that he was getting hired by Philly almost immediately after it was announced he was leaving Miami, it would seem that it was legit. Since it happened so quickly, you would think that Miami previously allowed Vic to talk with the Eagles to discuss contract terms.

Either way, it certainly improves The Eagles' outlook moving forward.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 942

Post#546 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:44 am

Yeah, Miami lost like their top four pass rushers, and a couple other LBs to boot. Seems like an offense that scored 22 points against Dallas, 19 against Baltimore (Baltimore scored 56), 14 against Buffalo, and 7 against KC to wrap up the season might have had more to do with their late-season collapse.

Meanwhile, outside that Baltimore game, the D was actually quite good. They shut out the Jets (big whoop, I know), allowed 20 against Dallas, 21 to Buffalo (including a punt return TD), and 26 to KC (only two TDs). Given that the offense wasn't really sustaining drives, that's not half bad.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#547 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:46 am

thesack12 wrote:Supposedly Fangio wanted to be closer to his family in Pennsylvania, so Miami let him out of his contract to grant his desires.

Not sure how much truth there is to that, but since it was announced that he was getting hired by Philly almost immediately after it was announced he was leaving Miami, it would seem that it was legit. Since it happened so quickly, you would think that Miami previously allowed Vic to talk with the Eagles to discuss contract terms.

Either way, it certainly improves The Eagles' outlook moving forward.

Interesting. Well that would make more sense. All things considered, seemed like Fangio did well in Miami.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#548 » by thesack12 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:39 am

wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Was he fired?

There were rumors that Michigan was offering like $125 or 150 million for Harbaugh to stay. Not sure over how many years.

Supposedly he raved about Herbert to some colleague in the NFL. So maybe he's going for the coaching challenge.

But he's going to be facing Mahomes and Reid, who've dominated that division and the AFC for the last 5-6 years.

Judging by his own history, Jim's tenure in LA may not be super long. However he's a great coach, that has an excellent track record of getting the most out of his QB's. He's also dramatically elevated every team that he has led.

I wish him well, and am glad he's in the AFC. He just might transform Herbert into a straight up monster.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#549 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:39 pm

Deebo due for a limited practice. Great news. I have a hard time seeing him not play in some capacity, though I wouldn't be shocked if he's not his normal self.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#550 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:44 pm

Falcons hire Raheem Morris. Rams lose their DC. Will be interesting to see how it affects them.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,838

Post#551 » by SK21209 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:03 am

Seems like Blank wanted Belichik but Belichik wanted free run of the place so they went with Morris instead. We're down to just Washington and Seattle for open HC spots now and the rumor is its going to be Ben Johnson for Washington. I think it'll end up being Quinn for Seattle and both Vrabel and Belichik take a year off, or at least wait until someone like the Cowboys or Eagles start next season 1-3 and fire their coach.

Or, in the nightmare scenario, Reid retires after the playoffs and Belichik goes to KC.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#552 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:38 am

SK21209 wrote:Seems like Blank wanted Belichik but Belichik wanted free run of the place so they went with Morris instead. We're down to just Washington and Seattle for open HC spots now and the rumor is its going to be Ben Johnson for Washington. I think it'll end up being Quinn for Seattle and both Vrabel and Belichik take a year off, or at least wait until someone like the Cowboys or Eagles start next season 1-3 and fire their coach.

Or, in the nightmare scenario, Reid retires after the playoffs and Belichik goes to KC.

Belicheck I think is going to be 76 years old next season. Time is ticking. Being an NFL head coach is a very demanding job. Not sure how long he will be able to stand up to the rigors of the job
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#553 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:43 am

I am glad to see Jim Harbaugh back in the NFL. I am curious to see how he does in his second stint. In SF, he had instant success. The 49ers had a great roster when he came in, they just underachieved due to poor coaching. He is coming into a team with some talent so he isn't coming into a dumpster fire/rebuilt. My only question with Harbaugh is what happens if Harbaugh does not have instant success or the team struggles for a couple of years. Harbaugh is a rah rah over the top guy with an intense personality. That works when the team he is coaching is winning but what happens when the team is not. I could see grown NFL players start to tune him out if things don't go well.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#554 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:46 am

thesack12 wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Judging by his own history, Jim's tenure in LA may not be super long. However he's a great coach, that has an excellent track record of getting the most out of his QB's. He's also dramatically elevated every team that he has led.

I wish him well, and am glad he's in the AFC. He just might transform Herbert into a straight up monster.

He is a good coach and based on the situation he is getting into I would put my money on him being successful there. I wrote on a prior message my only question mark with him. I think that might be an issue if he were trying to overhaul a dumpster fire and multi-year rebuild.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#555 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:14 am

SK21209 wrote:Seems like Blank wanted Belichik but Belichik wanted free run of the place so they went with Morris instead. We're down to just Washington and Seattle for open HC spots now and the rumor is its going to be Ben Johnson for Washington. I think it'll end up being Quinn for Seattle and both Vrabel and Belichik take a year off, or at least wait until someone like the Cowboys or Eagles start next season 1-3 and fire their coach.

Curious as to why you would consider Belichick going to KC to be a nightmare scenario?

From the 49ers perspective, what happens in the AFC is pretty inconsequential.

Hitting closer to home, from an AFC west standpoint I'm not even sure how scary that would be. Its not like KC has been underperforming with Reid at the helm. I'm sure that division and its teams fans would prefer a much less decorated guy than Belichick to step into KC if Reid rides off into the sunset. However, if Reid leaves that would be a pretty big piece getting subtracted from their current dynasty, so in some ways I think it would be somewhat welcomed.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#556 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:21 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Deebo due for a limited practice. Great news. I have a hard time seeing him not play in some capacity, though I wouldn't be shocked if he's not his normal self.

Deebo practicing is fantastic. From the few clips I saw, he looked very upbeat and pretty spry.

Just having him on the field in a decoy type role would have value, but its shaping up like he could actually be available at a somewhat normal capacity. Which would be amazing.

Its definitely looking up.
wco81
RealGM

Post#557 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:41 am

Lions gave up well over 300 yards to both Stafford and Baker Mayfield.

Also a fair amount of rushing to the Rams.

But ESPN showed a graphic, they pressure on 31% of snaps, which is fourth in the league. I don't know if that's the 2 playoffs games or the whole season. Obviously their best pass rusher is Hutchinson, matched up against the 49ers weakest pass blocker. But they're aggressive with blitzes, particularly from slot CBs or other DBs. Branch is suppose to be big.

They're also dropping a DL back while blitzing from the outside with CBs. But Purdy and the WRs obviously have to make the same hot reads.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#558 » by thesack12 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:48 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Belicheck I think is going to be 76 years old next season. Time is ticking. Being an NFL head coach is a very demanding job. Not sure how long he will be able to stand up to the rigors of the job

Belichick will be 72 going into next season.

But your point still stands. His age is probably a big reason why he seemingly hasn't garnered much interest. He might be a short term 2-3 year type of option, and a lot of teams aren't looking for that.

He might also be making it known that he wants a lot of decision making power, which could have teams shying away from him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#559 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:35 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Belichick will be 72 going into next season.

But your point still stands. His age is probably a big reason why he seemingly hasn't garnered much interest. He might be a short term 2-3 year type of option, and a lot of teams aren't looking for that.

He might also be making it known that he wants a lot of decision making power, which could have teams shying away from him.

That is the story I read today. He wanted for more control than Atlanta was willing to give. I wonder if any of the remaining teams with a vacancy would. For a number or reasons I could see why neither Seattle nor Washington would grant him that.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,838

Post#560 » by SK21209 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:25 pm

thesack12 wrote:

Curious as to why you would consider Belichick going to KC to be a nightmare scenario?

From the 49ers perspective, what happens in the AFC is pretty inconsequential.

Hitting closer to home, from an AFC west standpoint I'm not even sure how scary that would be. Its not like KC has been underperforming with Reid at the helm. I'm sure that division and its teams fans would prefer a much less decorated guy than Belichick to step into KC if Reid rides off into the sunset. However, if Reid leaves that would be a pretty big piece getting subtracted from their current dynasty, so in some ways I think it would be somewhat welcomed.

Well I just don't want another Pats-esque 15 year run. They may very well win the SB again this year, but it does seem like this iteration of the Chiefs is coming to an end. Hill is already on another team. Kelce is entering another phase of his career. There was some talk of Reid retiring after last year's SB, I expect to hear more whenever they bow out this year. I really enjoy watching the AFC from afar because of all the good young QBs. I'd love to see Lamar make it one year, then Burrow, then Herbert, etc. I don't want KC making the AFC championship every year for another 10 years.

Belichik probably shouldn't be handling all the personnel decisions at this point, but he's still an awesome defensive gameplanner. This was the first year since Brady left that they were actually bad, he dragged Pats teams with awful offensive talent to 7-9, 10-7 and 8-9 before the wheels came off this year. Give him Mahomes for 5 years and I think they're probably the team to beat every time. I think Mahomes gives you an incredibly high floor on offense (for all the talk about how bad their receivers have been this year, they've been Top 10 in EPA the whole time) and Belichik gives you a very high floor on defense.

Return to San Francisco 49ers